Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2021 discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

formerlyET wrote: »
    I'd imagine Waterford are targeting the Limerick game. Expect skin and hair in that one. Waterford have a lot to get off their chest in that game before championship.

They won't win that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

threeball wrote: »
    What a sore loser. His team have been laying timber left right and centre and when he gets beaten he comes out and blames the opposition for diving without an ounce of evidence. Galway didn't go bitching about hegarty last year when it was clear as day he should have walked. This team couldn't go much further down in my estimation. Absolutely pathetic

I think he was very gracious towards Galway. The better team one. Its you threeball that has issues. You are anti Limerick and anti contact sport. You want a game like Camogie before the Camogie rules were updated. Guys prancing around..flicks and tippy tippy stuff... Its embarrassing looking at your negative message. We get it, you don't like Limericks play. But Kiely spoke for many today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

I think he was very gracious towards Galway. The better team one. Its you threeball that has issues. You are anti Limerick and anti contact sport. You want a game like Camogie before the Camogie rules were updated. Guys prancing around..flicks and tippy tippy stuff... Its embarrassing looking at your negative message. We get it, you don't like Limericks play. But Kiely spoke for many today..

Kiel spoke for Limerick and no one else. If the refs reffed limerick by the same standard you want everyone else reffed they wouldn't have 12 on the field by 70mins.
    I'm all about physicality and contact, but the manly kind, not the cowardly sly stuff hegarty and co dish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Kiely speaks for Limerick. That's it.

His side got figured out today, Galway were well set up, and he is rattled.

Pathetic response for a manager. Blaming opposition players and pointing fingers at refs. That leaves a bad taste.

He'll regret that.

Kiel spoke for Limerick and no one else. If the refs reffed limerick by the same standard you want everyone else reffed they wouldn't have 12 on the field by 70mins.
    I'm all about physicality and contact, but the manly kind, not the cowardly sly stuff hegarty and co dish out.

Worse than the butt of the hurl into the head incident when going up for the ball, by Kyle Hayes, was the way he left in the hurl late on the Galway player after he had let the ball in - you can hear the scream on the reply - it was well into the second half - that kind of stroke is an arm breaker. Knew what he was doing too. Pure frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The best Limerick man on view today was Shane O'Neill.

Well hes the only one won today. Legend of a man

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ye said it lads Kiely speaks for Limerick. Pity ye both didnt stop there

You can dispute it all you like but at the back of it all you know its true and so does the rest of the country.

You can dispute it all you like but at the back of it all you know its true and so does the rest of the country.

Most people I talk to have respect for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

John Kiely's interview was calm but his assertion that we had "such a fantastic game that everyone was enjoying" up to this year, I'd disagree with, the last Limerick match that had all the ingredients I love in hurling was the '18 semi-final v cork, there's been some absolute sh1te hurling been played in the last decade. Commentators IMO are not calling out the level of boring we are being subjected to.
    Tipp V cork last night was a hard watch, today's Galway V Limerick wasn't much better and it's not the referees fault imo but they are the handy scapegoats. Players need to take much more responsibility.
    Discipline and composure are vital ingredients in the overall make-up of a championship winning team and as a Limerick supporter today was a worrying day with regard to those aspects.

Most people I talk to have respect for Limerick. Only a few bitter whingers and WUMs keep saying otherwise

Its quickly eroding and Kiely didnt help matters with his moaning sore loser interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I can understand Kiely being frustrated with rule changes and stuff like that but accusing teams of cheating seems like a serious case of sour grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

LMK wrote: »
    John Kiely's interview was calm but his assertion that we had "such a fantastic game that everyone was enjoying" up to this year, I'd disagree with, the last Limerick match that had all the ingredients I love in hurling was the '18 semi-final v cork, there's been some absolute sh1te hurling been played in the last decade. Commentators IMO are not calling out the level of boring we are being subjected to.
    Tipp V cork last night was a hard watch, today's Galway V Limerick wasn't much better and it's not the referees fault imo but they are the handy scapegoats. Players need to take much more responsibility.
    Discipline and composure are vital ingredients in the overall make-up of a championship winning team and as a Limerick supporter today was a worrying day with regard to those aspects.
    2018&19 were brilliant championships, maybe the lack of spectators taking away from the spectacle too, looking at the goal that won Leicester the FA cup yesterday the crowd reaction to it sent a tingle down my spine.

2018&19 were brilliant championships, maybe the lack of spectators taking away from the spectacle too, looking at the goal that won Leicester the FA cup yesterday the crowd reaction to it sent a tingle down my spine.

Last year was grand because I was just desperate for any kind of hurling after lockdown but the empty stands is really wearing thin now. Having no warm up games or league final really hasn't helped either. Fells like we are watching the Munster league at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

grbear wrote: »
    I can understand Kiely being frustrated with rule changes and stuff like that but accusing teams of cheating seems like a serious case of sour grapes.

Don’t like his attitude

His teams cynical fouling is enough to stop people watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I hate when people reference ground hurling and the 90s, a revolution for hurling but the quality was absolutely dire.

Limerick are foul/free happy. There is no one fouling more in the game than Limerick - proven by statistics. They foul foul foul - and they're getting caught now. But the problem everyone is replicating Limerick's style tactics - so everyone is getting caught. Nightmare.

Glad Jackie mentioned the water break. Really hope its gone come championship once the players have had a few games

Tyrell is an idiot.

Limerick are foul/free happy. There is no one fouling more in the game than Kiely - proven by statistics. They foul foul foul - and they're getting caught.

48 frees in the Waterford Westmeath match? 2 red cards for Waterford? You sure your own boys aren't filthy too?

48 frees in the Waterford Westmeath match? 2 red cards for Waterford? You sure your own boys aren't filthy too?

Limerick are foul/free happy. There is no one fouling more in the game than Limerick - proven by statistics. They foul foul foul - and they're getting caught now. But the problem is everyone is replicating Limerick's style tactics - so everyone is getting caught. Nightmare.

You couldn't read a think into this league basically the Walsh Cup for year thats in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Did Kiely forgot to have a chat about the punch to the head of the Galway player?

Funny he missed that, spotted the simulation though

Limerick are foul/free happy. There is no one fouling more in the game than Limerick - proven by statistics. They foul foul foul - and they're getting caught now. But the problem everyone is replicating Limerick's style tactics - so everyone is getting caught. Nightmare.

Waterford are filthy then?

Tyrell is an idiot.

Limerick are foul/free happy. There is no one fouling more in the game than Kiely - proven by statistics. They foul foul foul - and they're getting caught.

The Limerick game actually had less frees than the other 2 mentioned tonight. Not by many and I wouldnt dispute many of the frees Galway got.

Tyrell is an idiot.

Tyrell spent his whole career trying to get away with fouling. That turkey was never going to vote for Christmas. As someone said earlier, kiely is reaping what he sowed due to the tactics he's employed and now he's not only bitching about being caught out hes also accusing the opposition of being cheats. Which was conveniently glossed over.

The Limerick game actually had less frees than the other 2 mentioned tonight. Not by many and I wouldnt dispute many of the frees Galway got.

The problem is everyone is replicating Limerick's style tactics - so everyone is getting caught. Nightmare.

It's hard work trying to educate the Limerick bandwagoners.

Waterford are filthy then?

Didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

LMK wrote: »

When his team loses for the first time in over 12 months it's the ref's fault; not a good look. Limerick's tactics have forced teams into awful formations to counter them, that's a big part of the issue. Also the fact is all players look to cheat to win frees, including precious John Kiely's team.

The problem is everyone is replicating Limerick's style tactics - so everyone is getting caught. Nightmare.

Hahaaha so now its Limericks fault when other teams foul.

Tyrell spent his whole career trying to get away with fouling. That turkey was never going to vote for Christmas. As someone said earlier, kiely is reaping what he sowed due to the tactics he's employed and now he's not only bitching about being caught out hes also accusing the opposition of being cheats. Which was conveniently glossed over.

Tbf, he wouldn't deny that himself, it was his job.

Would he last in the modern game though? And if not, is the game worse for not having players like him?

• Advertisement

Tyrell just said that Cork are not strong enough to hit the ball as long as other teams...

Is this guy for real? Is he getting paid for the ****e that comes out of his mouth.

It's a struggle trying to get you to understand anything. I'm not the first to say it either. It's chronic like. Feel free to ignore me if it upsets or exacerbates you so much.

Sorry, kid.

Dont worry Im getting a laugh off all this its like being on a CT or IMHO thread.

Thought Cork looked good again. At least in highlights

Tyrell just said that Cork are not strong enough to hit the ball as long as other teams...

Is this guy for real? Is he getting paid for the ****e that comes out of his mouth.

There is to many pundits out there now talking absolute gibberish, he is one of them. Dónal Óg another. Hurling is in a dangerous place right now, its boring. Puck - catch - point - repeat.
    To many coaching webiners and fellas in over coaching trams- a real pain to be honest.

Tbf, he wouldn't deny that himself, it was his job.

Would he last in the modern game though? And if not, is the game worse for not having players like him?

There was nothing special about Tyrell that you'd miss. He was a bit of a timber merchant. Wasn't fit to lace JJs boots who didn't resort to the tactics tyrell did. He also played in a very different far more direct game.
    There's far better defenders currently playing the game and the message has to go out about persistent fouling and use of the free hand.
    The wexford sending off was slightly harsh but he did strike the ball carrier across the shoulder with no chance or attempt to get the ball. So he's wrong on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

He's insufferable, could he not at least have picked out a few of the questionable frees instead of droning on? He could also do with learning the correct use of the word allude.

C__MC wrote: »
    There is to many pundits out there now talking absolute gibberish, he is one of them. Dónal Óg another. Hurling is in a dangerous place right now, its boring. Puck - catch - point - repeat.
    To many coaching webiners and fellas in over coaching trams- a real pain to be honest.

I thought thats what the purists want. Old school hoof into the full forwards-field-point

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    He's insufferable, could he not at least have picked out a few of the questionable frees instead of droning on? He could always do with learning the correct use of the word allude.

I agree. He went on about all these soft frees and I kept waiting for them to cut to clips of some but nothing

Limerick free count is from Gaelic Football tackling and loose hurleys, and persistent fouling - this beal bocht ****e from Kiely is amazing.

There was nothing special about Tyrell that you'd miss. He was a bit of a timber merchant. Wasn't fit to lace JJs boots who didn't resort to the tactics tyrell did. He also played in a very different far more direct game.
    There's far better defenders currently playing the game and the message has to go out about persistent fouling and use of the free hand.
    The wexford sending off was slightly harsh but he did strike the ball carrier across the shoulder with no chance or attempt to get the ball. So he's wrong on that too.

This is probably the core issue for me. I've no issue with "timber merchants", they were always part and parcel of the game for me, probably because Limerick have had more of them than most. I've no interest in watching an anodyne game with no bite, even if it's all singing, all dancing, skills.

Likewise, premiership football is way less interesting to me these days even though the skill level is higher, there's no bite left. A player like Roy Keane would be whistled off the park these days.

I can see other's have a different point of view on it, it's just a preference, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Cringe punditry from Tyrrell and Jacob, especially after the excellent football analysis fromi McStay and O'Se.

This is probably the core issue for me. I've no issue with "timber merchants", they were always part and parcel of the game for me, probably because Limerick have had more of them than most. I've no interest in watching an anodyne game with no bite, even if it's all singing, all dancing, skills.

Likewise, premiership football is way less interesting to me these days even though the skill level is higher, there's no bite left. A player like Roy Keane would be whistled off the park these days.

I can see other's have a different point of view on it, it's just a preference, I guess.

I've no problem with hard hurling. It's everything.

But this persistent fouling as a tactic in opposition half backlines and dragging down players breaking lines as a tactics rots my soul. It's made the game a farce.

• Advertisement

Just saw my first sin binning and couldnt help thinking with all the colours out there could they not have a 3rd card to make it easier when fans are back in the stands

I've no problem with hard hurling. It's everything.

But this persistent fouling as a tactic in opposition half backlines and dragging down players breaking lines as a tactics rots my soul. It's made the game a farce.

Ah stop, you clearly don't like lads "mixing it", it's fine. you like a dainty game, embrace it, the refs are on your side anyhow.

Ah stop, you clearly don't like lads "mixing it", it's fine. you like a dainty game, embrace it, the refs are on your side anyhow.

He just doesnt like Limerick lads "mixing it"

So you've no issue with one player hitting another with the hurl out of frustration in not getting the ball or wild pulls with total disregard for others? Because that's what a timber merchant is. Anything else and it can be tough as you like is just hurling imo

There's no mixing it in pulling and dragging - hands in faces - pulling hurleys, dragging jerseys - the crowd foul so one can be ticked or carded - i know all the football tricks too. Games up, Limerick. It's getting pulled.

Everyone's at it now. It's a joke.

Maybe we can all go back to hurling now. Games been a joke this year and last.

So you've no issue with one player hitting another with the hurl out of frustration in not getting the ball or wild pulls with total disregard for others? Because that's what a timber merchant is. Anything else and it can be tough as you like is just hurling imo

If I'd a real problem with that i'd have stopped loving hurling years ago. Lads go overboard on occasion, but you can't live on the edge without going overboard on occasion. I don't like hiding behind the "it's a man's game" cliche, but ultimately, it is.

If I'd a real problem with that i'd have stopped loving hurling years ago. Lads go overboard on occasion, but you can't live on the edge without going overboard on occasion. I don't like hiding behind the "it's a man's game" cliche, but ultimately, it is.

No that stuff is a cowards game. If you're a man go toe to toe. Sly digs are for players who would pish themselves if anyone actually gave it back. Hegarty is a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kiely speaks for Limerick. That's it.

His side got figured out today, Galway were well set up, and he is rattled.

Pathetic response for a manager. Blaming opposition players and pointing fingers at refs. That leaves a bad taste.

He'll regret that.

He speaks for loads of people outside of Limerick. I watched it with 4 claremen and they l agree with Kiely

Ya but when Kerry were being dirty and sneaky they were "cute whoors" but when they got beat there was a problem

And when limerick were beaten the other team was diving and simulating and all the rules are changed against us, no one else, and everything has changed and Galway are cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd have no issues with Tyrell's point 47 or 48 frees in Waterford Westmeath sounds bonkers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement