Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2021 discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

formerlyET wrote: »
    I'd agree with the vast majority of your points.

But, I'd urge you to watch a few of those Limerick games last year. The persistent fouling in opposition halfback lines and fouling players breaking the line is without a shadow of a doubt, is a tactic. It's utilized way too much, not to be. It is a common feature of their play. A football tactic, 100%.

Have other teams been engaging it? Yes. Are more and more teams engaging it? YES. Would Davy have done it with Wexford to Limerick's level if it had the players to make it happen? 100%. Limerick have taken it to the next level though. And most teams, if not all (Cork aside), are doing it. Has to be addressed now.

Agree, Galway punished it yesterday with brilliant long range free taking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Good article by Conor Neville on the RTE website today. I think he nails a lot of things, that the Limerick bandwagoners, fresh from Pro14 and Premierships, wouldn't get - The more it changes, the more it stays the same:

Things could spin out in other directions. The question was posed in the wake of the draw with Tipperary as to whether the officials had been told to clamp down on Limerick's tackling style. If we know our history, we can foresee how this could play out. Limerick, like other upstart counties before them, will develop a persecution complex and suspect that the new rules are being arranged so as to prevent them trampling the competition under foot. A siege mentality akin to Galway '89 or Clare '98 could develop.

James Owens, three-time All-Ireland final referee, was the man in the middle in Pearse Stadium
    More likely is the refs, themselves adjusting to the new directives, will swing back towards a more laissez faire style come championship. The phenomenon of referees applying the rule-book in more doctrinaire fashion in an early season league game is not a new one. Tyrrell noted as much last night, saying referees are usually whistle-happy early in the league.

In Barry Kelly's 'Men in Black' programme on Setanta, the four-time All-Ireland referee spoke of the importance of laying down the law early in the game so as to set the tone. It's possible that the same arc plays itself out over the course of a season.

Either the players will have to adapt or the refs will have to introduce our old friend discretion. Perhaps there'll be a meeting in the middle. And hopefully, hurling can get through its least important league with the game still intact.

(i'm still laughing about the paranoid and delusional idea that Limerick were being clamped down on after only one game in the season. One thing Limerick excel at, as a county, is paranoia. Hon Limerick!!!!)

2 things. We are All Ireland champions after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

I stand by that comment.

Look at this paranoid stuff you wrote - you maintain the new rules were introduced so all teams could play a Cork and Tipp style of hurling? Very unbalanced. You maintained that the rules were introduced to counteract Limerick and not protect the game from becoming an eyesore like football. Paranoid?

Ruin hurling? Hurling been bad for the last year or more. Persistent fouling is the reason and it will now be blown up continually until it's eradicated. Until teams get teh message that this is not acceptable any more. Happens in most leagues, every year, with new rules. Kiely maintains the introduction of new rules and trials in the league is a new thing. Embarrassing stuff.

Look at this One eyed stuff, you wrote:

I dont think we have ever had a situation before where the rules have been changed because a team has successfully employed a strategy within the rules ("the swarm defense"). Like Kiely, I have no issue with real frees which Limerick give too many of at times, but the notion that contact needs to be taken out of the game is ridiculous. This will ruin hurling and not sure why they think it is something that needs to be addressed. It feels like they just don't like the swarm defense so want it gone so they can watch Cork and Tipp style hurling from everybody. With the ball so light, by taking contact out with a free for everything of course players are going to simulate and go down. Any free within 100 yards is scorable so of course players will dive for the free at the first opportunity.

Limerick didnt invent this or arent the only ones playing this way. But according to you they are the root of all evil with their football coach mastermind. The nonsense you go on with knows no end.

Anyone watching yesterday could see Owens blew many soft frees against Limerick. Frees that weren't frees last year. He also blew up many times where Limerick did foul. No issue with that. They need to get more accurate in the tackle and stop giving away so many frees.

You have about 50 posts in this thread. Most are hate filled nonsense with no basis in fact but rather a venting of your unnatural obsession with Limerick. Reasonably clear you are trying to get a rise out of Limerick folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

slegs wrote: »
    But according to you they are the root of all evil with their football coach mastermind. The nonsense you go on with knows no end.

You have about 50 posts in this thread. Most are hate filled nonsense with no basis in fact but rather a venting of your unnatural obsession with Limerick. Reasonably clear you are trying to get a rise out of Limerick folk.

That's some paranoia. All my posts are filled with love for hurling. And Limerick. I just wish they had someone like O'Neill to take them out of the football fire and into the hurling light.

Imagine the forward play - Three inside forwards playing off each other. ( Flanagan, Gillane, Casey/Pat Ryan - actually staying up front and making it happen) Cian Lynch pulling strings. I'd buy a season ticket for Limerick too then. Sure, I'm already living in the city. Sign me up for the limerick hurling good times with O'Neill at the helm.

That's some paranoia. All my posts are filled with love for hurling. And Limerick. I just wish they had someone like O'Neill to take them out of the football fire and into the hurling light.

Imagine the forward play - Three inside forwards playing off each other. ( Flanagan, Gillane, Casey/Pat Ryan - actually staying up front and making it happen) Cian Lynch pulling strings. I'd buy a season ticket for Limerick too then. Sure, I'm already living in the city. Sign me up for the limerick hurling good times with O'Neill at the helm.

Why would we bring O'Neill back. Sure aren't we only just after exporting him out so we can finally have some opposition who can put it up to us again

Ah here, I have a better idea.

Three up top.

Hegarty at full forward, Flanagan and Gillane at either side of him. Lynch pulling strings at center forward. Morrissey told to stay up front - your talents are wasted coming past the midfield, kid.

Imagine that forward bliss - watch the goals rain in.

Ah here, I have a better idea.

Three up top.

Hegarty at full forward, Flanagan and Gillane at either side of him. Lynch pulling strings at center forward. Morrissey told to stay up front - your talents are wasted coming past the midfield, kid.

Imagine that forward bliss - watch the goals rain in.

How is that better. Sure we just won 2 leagues, 2 Munsters and 2 All Irelands in 3 years playing with 2 up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Haven't posted on/in the GAA section here for a long time and mainly because of the tribal childish stuff that has gone on in this thread over the last few pages was the reason, this place used to be somewhat sane when compared to twitter and the likes but I felt compelled to post just reading this thread, its getting a bit out of hand!

There has been a lot of non sense here to be fair. And just in the interests of transparency and openness before I make a few points I will declare that I am from Tipp :D

1. Are Limerick a dirty team? Not even in the slightest, the suggestion otherwise is absurd, they are a fine big strong physical team with a work ethic that can only be admired.
    2. Do Limerick foul tactically? This is a more interesting question, I think the game plan and style they have developed simply leads to an increased chance of giving away frees but I don't think it is actually a tactic, merely a result.
    3. Is Hurling on a slippery road? It might be, but I don't think that it is nearly as bad as some make out and it is certainly not the fault of Limerick - Derek McGrath and Davy Fitz were the original targets of peoples ire but simply because Limerick's different way of playing has become successful at the very top level, the clamour has become louder.
    4. Are referees to blame for the latest free taking matches? Absolutely not, 90% plus of the frees awarded have been frees, they are simply applying the rules and I for one am very glad to see steps and the hand pass being refereed correctly. The hand pass has long become a joke, and I have seen suggestions that Limerick somehow introduced the 'thrown' hand pass, they did like fcuk, its rampant in the game, from U6 to Liam McCarthy - Limerick simply hand pass more so as a result they are seen to offend more. Just this weekend I only watched two games, and all four teams - Tipp, Cork, Limerick and Galway were throwing the ball, in fact the most blatant one I seen that led to a score was a Tipp player.
    5. Was Kiely right what he said about Galway? I don't think he was, but he has every right to stand up for his players and if he sees something happening as an injustice or if he sees it as been directed at his players he has every right to stand up for them - its not a popularity contest, its all about winning, but I do think he will regret those comments and they were ill advised or at least ill advised to air them on a national broadcaster. He can talk all he likes about referees and 'buying' frees etc. the reality is that it was his team who have gifted Jason Forde and Evan Niland MOTM in two successive games and were very fortunate to finish yesterday with 15 players on the field.

But even allowing for all the foregoing, people really need to calm to fcuk down, we are two weeks into a league campaign that there was no preparatory work or group training for - basically in a normal year the Waterford Crystal or challenge game type stuff - and people are bemoaning the downfall of hurling.

No system or tactic has ever dominated the game for a sustained period, the game will adapt and evolve again. Limerick didn't win two All Irelands because of tactics or because Paul Kinnerk bought a fcukin white board, they won two all Irelands because they are an extremely talented, well drilled and hard working team.

As a kilkenny man it pains me to say it but I think I agree with most if not all of that ðŸ˜

breezy1985 wrote: »
    How is that better. Sure we just won 2 leagues, 2 Munsters and 2 All Irelands in 3 years playing with 2 up top.

Reread it.

Reread it.

I just did any you are still suggesting we change a winning game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭tranquilo

I just wish they had someone like O'Neill to take them out of the football fire and into the hurling light.

Limerick have played some of the best hurling I've seen in a long long time in the past few years, a joy to watch on occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Genuinely, I have no recollection of Kilkenny being 'ridiculed'. Complete opposite actually - I would say they are and were universally admired as the greatest team of all time. What bitter pundits were ridiculing Kilkenny during 2006-2015? To be fair, I do recall some know-nothings on here repeatedly calling Tommy Walsh 'dirty' and a 'tramp', based on one or two incidents, but that's about it - same thing is happening to Hegarty, atm.- goes with being Hurler of the Year, maybe? (not comparing Hegarty to Tommy Walsh, btw. - TW probably the greatest hurler I've ever seen!)

Maybe you didn't contribute to or read boards in the day. Kilkenny had to endure plenty of insults and abuse during their successful era on many media sites, pundits etc. It's in the past now, unfortunately!!!!

The Limerick hurlers are living rent free in your head. It's all you've posted about for the last week at least.
    Absolutely rent free, it's a joy to watch

But anyway, persistent fouling, any ideas on how to get it out of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

dobman88 wrote: »

Limerick appear three times in the top five. And five times in the top ten. What a shocker...

Actually, it's SIX times.

And people still think it's not a tactic...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Limerick appear three times in the top five. And five times in the top ten. What a shocker...

How do you know they weren't on the receiving end in most of them?

How do you know they weren't on the receiving end in most of them?
    Absolutely rent free in your head

6 out of 10. Six out of ten times. Not a quarter. Not a third. Not a fifth.

60% of the time.

Limerick are playing in a free laden games because they use persistent fouling as a tactic.

Absolute fact.

Ron Burgundy percentages, folks.

That shows how many frees not by who. That could equally "prove" that Limerick are the most fouled team in hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

That shows how many frees not by who. That could equally "prove" that Limerick are the most fouled team in hurling

Plus two of those matches went to extra time

• Advertisement

Plus two of those matches went to extra time

Absolute fact

Absolute fact
    6 games in the top ten. That's insane, come on.

I've already showed you the evidence from Moran's article that showed Limerick foul more than any other team in the last year.

And now this, 6 out of 10. And no evidence to counteract it.

Your obsession with them isn't healthy. They've become a brilliant team, stop begrudging them with all this fouling nonsense and appreciate the wonderful skill that we've all seen over the last few years. Cian Lynch is one of the most skilful players I've seen in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

I would happily write of Kilkenny. They are good enough to beat any team on their day but to be able to beat enough of them to win I would give them very little chance.
    Galway are a great side and look to have shaken off whatever it was that was wrong with them the last few years.
    I really like Cork I think they have a good shot if the form holds and they get a run behind them.
    Opposite for Limerick I really hope the league is just shadow boxing and the forwards click come championship. If they do it it will be a backdoor job as I can't see them go unbeaten

I think despite their lack of underage success Cork the last few years were always a couple of serious players away from the top table namely a 3 and a 6. it’s a Long Time since the rock and Curran were about but they never had a succession for those positions. Coleman looks to be the man for 6 but Limerick will tell a lot how he handles Cian Lynch.
    Was suprised Tipp didn’t sit the center forward on top of Coleman as given space hes gotten unreal distribution.

I expect Downey to start 3 for championship as he lacks something on the wing an Cahalane will start there but I don’t really rate him.

The kid Connolly from Rockies has something special, only thing on his mind is goals sadly lacking in Cork since 1990 team.

It’s good to see the team backboned by the big 3 in Cork again.

They have the players this year no doubt with serious options off the bench but question is what is the best formula.

Have my doubts about K Kingston but guess DOG will not be an analyst too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Limerick despite the last two results still remain firm favourites for the All Ireland, it's still too early to know where the biggest challenge will come from as the others have been very inconsistent over the last couple of years.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's way too early to write any team off in the championship, Limerick despite the last two results still remain firm favourites for the All Ireland, it's still too early to know where the biggest challenge will come from as the others have been very inconsistent over the last couple of years.

Has to be Galway, no? They're the biggest challengers by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

limerick are the team to beat this year. clear favourites.
    but I think this will be a tougher year then people think for them for two reasons
    - they foul alot and refs are onto them now
    - the advantage rule is gone and that was a huge part of their game plan in both attack and defense.
    i would not be surprised if Cork beat them in the semi.

Limerick despite the last two results still remain firm favourites for the All Ireland, it's still too early to know where the biggest challenge will come from as the others have been very inconsistent over the last couple of years.

Nah, it's Galway's to lose tbh. They won pulling up yesterday, they'll have a soft enough run through Leinster (this year) and won't be wrecked tired by the semi-final. Even the shortened season should suit them as it'll be easier for them to avoid the distractions and hype that has derailed them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Is Corks short passing/possession game not incredibly flawed for championship hurling. They've got a serious skill level but the precision their game needs to have to work will be very difficult when the pressure comes on at the height of the championship. I just can't see it taking them the whole way myself. I know they've added a goal threat but still.... Don't see it

Nah, it's Galway's to lose tbh. They won pulling up yesterday, they'll have a soft enough run through Leinster (this year) and won't be wrecked tired by the semi-final. Even the shortened season should suit them as it'll be easier for them to avoid the distractions and hype that has derailed them before.

Galway have a long history of flattering to decieve and if there's a way to lose they'll find it, 1 All Ireland in over 30 years is proof of this.

Galway have a long history of flattering to decieve and if there's a way to lose they'll find it, 1 All Ireland in over 30 years is proof of this.

true, and it's a definite possibility but right now every thing is in their favour. Even the way their league games are lining up makes it easier for them to build momentum heading into the championship.

• Advertisement

In fairness, that Galway side are not responsible for the twenty odd years of losses in semis and finals before them. I don't think Conor Whelan or Burke take to the field with that in their heads.

Limerick have a pretty sweet run in too. Cork, who are two to three year project. Their best player is ageing, and while unearthing real talent - they are very inexperienced compared with Limerick. Most of the middle twenty something players are heavily scared by defeats. Limerick will then face in the Munster final a team that they've beaten handily the last few years, regardless of who it is.

And plain sailing from there. They've beaten everyone else apart from KK who won't catch em out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Has to be Galway, no? They're the biggest challengers by some distance.

It’s always said that Galway are the only team to physically match Limerick

The problem is most of Galway’s big men Joseph Cooney, Mclerney, Canning, David Burke, Johnny Coen are all gone 30.

I wonder will still have the legs in a few months time

true, and it's a definite possibility but right now every thing is in their favour. Even the way their league games are lining up makes it easier for them to build momentum heading into the championship.

I just can't see Galway beating Limerick when it comes to the crunch in the championship, yesterday's game will have no bearing on Limerick, it was good for Galway to get the win, but, it won't matter come the championship. Remember Galway contrived to lose the Leinster final last year to a fairly average Kilkenny team even though they were completely on top for most of the game and I think when the pressure comes on again in the championship they'll fold again.

I just can't see Galway beating Limerick when it comes to the crunch in the championship, yesterday's game will have no bearing on Limerick, it was good for Galway to get the win, but, it won't matter come the championship. Remember Galway contrived to lose the Leinster final last year to a fairly average Kilkenny team even though they were completely on top for most of the game and I think when the pressure comes on again in the championship they'll fold again.

Been pretty close the last few championship games between Limerick and Galway so ide be pretty worried about them

It’s always said that Galway are the only team to physically match Limerick

The problem is most of Galway’s big men Joseph Cooney, Mclerney, Canning, David Burke, Johnny Coen are all gone 30.

I wonder will still have the legs in a few months time

They're up against it. But I still see them as Limerick's biggest challengers. To dismiss them as bottlers is beyond a joke.
    They got back in a final in 2018 after winning in 2017. That's hard do.
    Fantastic side in my opinion, and have the ability to give Limerick a run.
    It's in Cork's DNA, the belief to topple Limerick in a game, due to belief and history. And while I could see a shock in Munster, Limerick losing to Cork in Munster when there's a backdoor to go through. But I could never put money on this Cork team, at the moment, beating Limerick, when it's do or die, in the All-Ireland championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

breezy1985 wrote:
    I just did any you are still suggesting we change a winning game plan.

Only as good as your last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Girly Gal wrote:

Once Daithi is back patrolling the square Galway will step up another gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Grats wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't contribute to or read boards in the day. Kilkenny had to endure plenty of insults and abuse during their successful era on many media sites, pundits etc. It's in the past now, unfortunately!!!!

And most of it was true, just like it is with Limerick. That doesn't detract from the quality of the players on either team but both employ/ed tactics which were fouls by definition and ignoring them is as unacceptable as the free taking competition that results from the rules being implemented. If someone has an issue with the rules then submit a proposal to change them at Congress.

threeball wrote: »
    And most of it was true, just like it is with Limerick. That doesn't detract from the quality of the players on either team but both employ/ed tactics which were fouls by definition and ignoring them is as unacceptable as the free taking competition that results from the rules being implemented. If someone has an issue with the rules then submit a proposal to change them at Congress.

Players are sent out to do a job, guided by management. This persistent fouling is different to striking or dangerous play.

Jabbing someone in the balls with a hurl, or ripping the helmet off someone, or punching someone is personal player responsibility.

Persistent fouling is not, when it's a tactic. Individual players don't come into that part of the game. That's why Kiely is so pressed because a huge part of his game plan, persistent fouling, is under the microscope because it has turned games into a freefest. The GAA, congress, and the people who protect this game have done a great job with hurling and they're protecting their product. And they couldn't be more right to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Players are sent out to do a job, guided by management. This persistent fouling is different to striking or dangerous play.

Jabbing someone in the balls with a hurl, or ripping the helmet off someone, or punching someone is personal player responsibility.

Persistent fouling is not, when it's a tactic. Individual players don't come into that part of the game. That's why Kiely is so pressed because a huge part of his game plan, persistent fouling, is under the microscope because it has tuned games into a freefest. The GAA, congress, and the people who protect this game have done a great job with hurling and they're protecting their product. And they couldn't be more right to do so.

Totally agree. I'd rather see this league used to weed out the scourge than see it linger on into the championship and subsequent years.
    Its obviously not just aimed at Limerick either as other teams conceded more frees over the weekend as they seek to emulate the tactic.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Totally agree. I'd rather see this league used to weed out the scourge than see it linger on into the championship and subsequent years.
    Its obviously not just aimed at Limerick either as other teams conceded more frees over the weekend as they seek to emulate the tactic.

Exactly, everyone is doing it now to counteract it. Has to be nipped in the bud or we'll be plagued with every team doing it. I'd still say we're not seeing enough cards for persistent fouling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Funny not one example of Galways diving has been shown anywhere after Kielys scutter talk. Surely someone would have been able to put a few clips together to back the poor man up.
    Its plain as day Limerick are both tactical with their fouling and nasty with the late pulling. Hegarty showed in the semi last year what they are about with his cowardly pull on Canning. And it happens every game with them...late slaps with the hurl...late man into the ruck...etc
    Refs have copped onto it and with free takers like Forde, Horgan Niland / Canning punishing the long range frees it's a major problem to Kielys negative game plan.

In other news, Antrim have been a breath of fresh air. They look like they're enjoying their hurling and improving. Be interested to know what a few Kilkenny lads though of them?

And it looks like the game has passed Cheddar Plunkett by, why did he come back at this stage? I know it's early but the defeats have been heavy. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wish the whole verbal handbags after the weekend would go away. Kiely has a point about the game being ruined by frees, and by advantage largely not being applied. I think his 'diving' comments may have said with one eye on the future; so be it, he's there to win, not to make friends and doesn't need apologise for it. I hope and think Galway are long enough in the tooth not to be bothered about what went on afterwards. I do think also there's a certain amount of jealousy re: Limerick's success and a rather unfair attitude of 'needing to take them down a peg'. Some of their play last year was superb in fairness and at times they looked invincible.

Saying Galway stood up physically to Limerick last Sunday made me smile a bit; no Daithi, Jonny Glynn or Conor Cooney, Joe Cooney went off, JC only came on later. Four smaller forwards started. It was more a team built for pace rather than power. Tipp and KK (put of habit) should also be good enough to ask questions of Limerick as the season goes on. Based on what I've seen of Cork though, I don't think so. Rather, they may be good enough to beat Limerick, but a long way off yet to win Liam. I don't think they have enough good players brought in yet, or have a settled side, and their main men, Coleman, Horgan, Fitzgibbon, are having to do too much heavy lifting for the others still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

MfMan wrote: »
    Wish the whole verbal handbags after the weekend would go away. Kiely has a point about the game being ruined by frees, and by advantage largely not being applied. I think his 'diving' comments may have said with one eye on the future; so be it, he's there to win, not to make friends and doesn't need apologise for it. I hope and think Galway are long enough in the tooth not to be bothered about what went on afterwards. I do think also there's a certain amount of jealousy re: Limerick's success and a rather unfair attitude of 'needing to take them down a peg'. Some of their play last year was superb in fairness and at times they looked invincible.

Saying Galway stood up physically to Limerick last Sunday made me smile a bit; no Daithi, Jonny Glynn or Conor Cooney, Joe Cooney went off, JC only came on later. Four smaller forwards started. It was more a team built for pace rather than power. Tipp and KK (put of habit) should also be good enough to ask questions of Limerick as the season goes on. Based on what I've seen of Cork though, I don't think so. Rather, they may be good enough to beat Limerick, but a long way off yet to win Liam. I don't think they have enough good players brought in yet, or have a settled side, and their main men, Coleman, Horgan, Fitzgibbon, are having to do too much heavy lifting for the others still.

So what do you do? Have less frees and let the teams bate seven shades of sh##te out of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

In other news, Antrim have been a breath of fresh air. They look like they're enjoying their hurling and improving. Be interested to know what a few Kilkenny lads though of them?

And it looks like the game has passed Cheddar Plunkett by, why did he come back at this stage? I know it's early but the defeats have been heavy. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

He had them training away during lockdown, a lot of early morning sessions. The issue with the ineligible player probably didn't do much for morale. 2019 was probably as good as it gets for Laois, the player pool is limited in comparison to their rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    So what do you do? Have less frees and let the teams bate seven shades of sh##te out of each other?

Do something very dangerous. Empower the refs to make the decisions themselves based upon what they see at the time.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    He had them training away during lockdown, a lot of early morning sessions. The issue with the ineligible player probably didn't do much for morale. 2019 was probably as good as it gets for Laois, the player pool is limited in comparison to their rivals.

I see, maybe the legs will be right for championship. They look stuck to the ground at the moment. Tough games to come as well.

The young lad fiasco should have been caught a lot earlier. That's a serious embarrassment - but, sure, at least he got time in the squad and senior training in the legs.

The way things ended with Eddie was a disaster after such a journey. A real pity. That interview nightmare was a damn shame but the lack of backing from the board was criminal.

It's a pity alright what happened with Brennan and Laois. They had a great year in 2019, beating Dublin through the backdoor of the championship was a great achievement. Even in last years championship they only went out by 1 point to Clare. Would be great if they kept improving and competing at the higher level

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Wish the whole verbal handbags after the weekend would go away. Kiely has a point about the game being ruined by frees, and by advantage largely not being applied.

Facts are facts. Great post by the Mod in the Clare thread - when you foul teams in their halfback line persistently - it cuts down the percentages on hurting teams from frees and stopping them from playing. To quote that post:
    Last year in the championship Limerick conceded the following amount of scores from dead balls

Final - 11 scores out of 19 (1 sideline)
    Semi-final - 14 out of 24 (5 sidelines)
    Munster final - 9 out of 21
    Munster semi - 10 out of 19
    Munster quarter - 9 out of 24
    That's 53 scores out of 107 from placed balls. (end quote)

If you keep fouling a team deep in their half. There's nowhere for them to go.

That's a great point about the Galway forwards.

Advertisement