Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting MDF Pannelling

• 11-04-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

So have some MDF Pannelling that is raw / untreated.

What's the best way to prepare it for painting and what paints can be used?

Is it sealant, primer and then paint of choice? Any restrictions on the paint used, like does it have to be Satinwood?

I can't seem to find primer in specific colours (only white) so do I need to get it made up in a matching colour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

is it cheap b and q level rubbish mdf or standard decent mdf, or MR mdf or hydrofugo.
    depending on the above you will need to give the edges coats of sealer. 1 will do hydrofugo but you could want 4-5 on cheap crap.
    i like BIN primer for the edges. it dries really fast and sets the fibers before they raise up. 4put on a good coat of BIN on the edges and sand between them
    then 123 everything,
    sand everything
    undercoat and top etc as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

is it cheap b and q level rubbish mdf or standard decent mdf, or MR mdf or hydrofugo.
    depending on the above you will need to give the edges coats of sealer. 1 will do hydrofugo but you could want 4-5 on cheap crap.
    i like BIN primer for the edges. it dries really fast and sets the fibers before they raise up. 4put on a good coat of BIN on the edges and sand between them
    then 123 everything,
    sand everything
    undercoat and top etc as normal

MDF was from woodworkers.

I'm more curious about finishing paints that can be used on it and if I should use coloured primers than sealing it. Sorry. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

MDF was from woodworkers.

I'm more curious about finishing paints that can be used on it and if I should use coloured primers than sealing it. Sorry. ��

mdf should be decent then.

top coaats is more personal preference . coulored primers are great for darker colours or more translucant paints. i generlly dont unless needed because the rest of the can isnt as usfull down the line

mdf should be decent then.

top coaats is more personal preference . coulored primers are great for darker colours or more translucant paints. i generlly dont unless needed because the rest of the can isnt as usfull down the line

Thanks, might just bring in a proper painter for the panelling and I'll do the walls. Want it done right haha.

I'll see about it primer wise, it's a dark enough colour I'm planning on using so I figured I'd run the risk of needing to use more of it as a result of using a white primer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks, might just bring in a proper painter for the panelling and I'll do the walls. Want it done right haha.

I'll see about it primer wise, it's a dark enough colour I'm planning on using so I figured I'd run the risk of needing to use more of it as a result of using a white primer.

You'll need to use more of it if you don't use the primer.

Sand the bollix out of it. Use BIN on it. Light sand to smooth then use whatever you want on it. I find emulsions work perfectly when done in light layers. Very light sand between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

This is what I use as Primer. Works well and much cheaper than BIN.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/leyland-trade-acrylic-primer-undercoat-2-5ltr/64719?gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjlYv2PvKtRw7dY8LPB0EZ8_4ghsK7bqdDdQ9MmDjTF_6tn-7iZP4_waApe-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

For the edges I put a coat or 2 on first before sanding. Comes out really well and no issues.

listermint wrote: »
    You'll need to use more of it if you don't use the primer.

Sand the bollix out of it. Use BIN on it. Light sand to smooth then use whatever you want on it. I find emulsions work perfectly when done in light layers. Very light sand between.

Ha I knew I'd need a primer regardless - just enquiring about the general thoughts on it. Just off the. Shelf in white or go to the effort of getting one made up that is more in line with the colour!

Advertisement