Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BORROW TO BUY FARM AS INVESTMENT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Speaking of buying through a company structure, what are the downsides on the back end?

You don't own the land, the company does. Selling it again or passing it on may have complications I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,546 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mooooo wrote: »
    You don't own the land, the company does. Selling it again or passing it on may have complications I guess.

I saw something that if it is inherited, then it wouldn't qualify for ag relief, but could qualify for business relief.

I wonder whether you could set up a company, pay for land over time, then after 20 years dissolve the company and sell the assets to yourself anyway? Or would you be stung somehow for tax? You'd be paying market value to the company (which you own) and then dissolving the company

Am not asking about anything dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

I saw something that if it is inherited, then it wouldn't qualify for ag relief, but could qualify for business relief.

I wonder whether you could set up a company, pay for land over time, then after 20 years dissolve the company and sell the assets to yourself anyway? Or would you be stung somehow for tax? You'd be paying market value to the company (which you own) and then dissolving the company

Am not asking about anything dodgy.

You'd have to pay stamp duty and the company would have to pay Capital Gains Tax anyway.

Possibly also cgt then on the liquidation of the shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,546 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

trg wrote: »
    You'd have to pay stamp duty and the company would have to pay Capital Gains Tax anyway.

Possibly also cgt then on the liquidation of the shares.

Yeah. It'd be the CGT on the liquidation of the shares that you'd be stung on. Still, you'd like be a bit better off than if you bought it from profit from the "business" as a sole trader if you were a high-rate taxpayer.

Advertisement