Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior cycle PE

Options
  • 11-04-2021 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

How does your school timetable it? For students who aren’t taking it as a leaving cert subject, that is.

Our school has it as an option against lcvp which isn’t really satisfactory. Lots of kids end up giving up pe in 6th year and are then supervised for the period instead of being taught.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

How does your school timetable it? For students who aren’t taking it as a leaving cert subject, that is.

Our school has it as an option against lcvp which isn’t really satisfactory. Lots of kids end up giving up pe in 6th year and are then supervised for the period instead of being taught.

Are talking about the Leaving Cert exam subject PE or PE in general for all students?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's a double class a week and I think in our school it's opposite religion. There's no opt out to study, whether they participate when they are in PE is another thing. I think general participation levels are good in my school. We also have exam PE but that's just in a regular block of subjects for 5th/6th year.

It's a double class a week and I think in our school it's opposite religion. There's no opt out to study, whether they participate when they are in PE is another thing. I think general participation levels are good in my school. We also have exam PE but that's just in a regular block of subjects for 5th/6th year.

Our school is the same, opposite religion and SPHE, there’s 2 class groups together for PE on one day and the other 3 groups have PE together on another day. This year we offered study because of covid and not having too many doing PE at once but the take up for that was low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Hopontop wrote: »
    Are talking about the Leaving Cert exam subject PE or PE in general for all students?

Yeah, I mean recreational pe. As an exam subject it’s just on a line with other options.

For those who have it opposite religion, does that mean they can choose pe instead of religion?

Yeah, I mean recreational pe. As an exam subject it’s just on a line with other options.

For those who have it opposite religion, does that mean they can choose pe instead of religion?

No they don’t have a choice, everyone has PE on their timetable.

• Advertisement

Can someone with 1 hour classes tell me how that works?

Our kids have:

4 x 4 options = 16
    4 maths = 4
    3 English = 3
    3 Irish = 3
    Lcvp/pe =1
    Religion = 2

Our classes are 58 mins, hence the 29 class periods rather than 28.

Can someone with 1 hour classes tell me how that works?

Our kids have:

4 x 4 options = 16
    4 maths = 4
    3 English = 3
    3 Irish = 3
    Lcvp/pe =1
    Religion = 2

Our classes are 58 mins, hence the 29 class periods rather than 28.

My partner’s school it’s:
    Options 3hours x 4
    4 English
    4 Irish
    4 Maths
    1 Religion
    1 RSE
    1 Career Guidance
    1 PE

28 58minute classes a week, 6 each day with 4 on Wednesdays

Edit: Are you sure you’re not mixing up the Options with the core subjects? I know in our school (40 minute classes) that Maths has 6 classes in each of 5th and 6th year, English and Irish have 5 for both, and the options have 4 in one year and 5 in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, we would have a smaller LC group, so 6A do PE when 6B have religion and vice versa

Hopontop wrote: »
    My partner’s school it’s:
    Options 3hours x 4
    4 English
    4 Irish
    4 Maths
    1 Religion
    1 RSE
    1 Career Guidance
    1 PE

28 58minute classes a week, 6 each day with 4 on Wednesdays

Edit: Are you sure you’re not mixing up the Options with the core subjects? I know in our school (40 minute classes) that Maths has 6 classes in each of 5th and 6th year, English and Irish have 5 for both, and the options have 4 in one year and 5 in the other.

English and Irish are the only exam subjects that have 3 hours, others all have 4... career guidance is done on rotation during religion somehow and I assume that’s how rse is covered too. Maths had 6 when we had 40 minute classes too, English and Irish were at 4/5 on rotation.

I think we are spending too much time on academic subjects, but can’t think of how to reduce it without kick back... English and Irish have nothing to give, but they are always where management come looking to make room on the timetable.

Just bumping this to see if I can get input from anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Everyone has double (40 mins) PE on their timetable. Participation is fairly abysmal though and I know the PE teachers fight a losing battle with them, they just want to sit and chat or study.

Advertisement