Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit and run Kildare Sat 10th April

Options
  • 11-04-2021 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

A club mate of mine was hit by a car yesterday while on a spin near Castledermot, Kildare around 8am. The silver car drove off leaving him with broken bones, 70 stitches, and a smashed up bike. Gardai appealing for witnesses, this is their link

To top it off his dad died last night.

I usually post in the Triathlon forum but figure it would get more exposure here- please contact Kildare Gardai if you have any info, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Very sorry to hear about your mate and about his dad - can't think of a worse thing to do than leave someone by the side of the road like that and I hope they throw the book at him

The link doesn't seem to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Very sorry to hear about your mate and about his dad - can't think of a worse thing to do than leave someone by the side of the road like that and I hope they throw the book at him

The link doesn't seem to work?

Apologies, think its fixed now.

Yes, horrible to think there are people out there who would leave you for dead. Hopefully someone will have dash/helmet cam, or some other useful info. Or at least the guy mans up and hands himself in- my mate is in bits and and deserves some sort of resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Yes, horrible to think there are people out there who would leave you for dead. Hopefully someone will have dash/helmet cam, or some other useful info. Or at least the guy mans up and hands himself in- my mate is in bits and and deserves some sort of resolution.

I think I just heard that this would be discussed on Liveline today and that the cyclist would be calling in. i hope it dosent end up in the usual motorist V cyclist ranting..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think I just heard that this would be discussed on Liveline today and that the cyclist would be calling in. i hope it dosent end up in the usual motorist V cyclist ranting..

Hope in vain I'll bet. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What kind of resolution?

• Advertisement

What kind of resolution?

Justice for a start I'd imagine? And recompense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

fat bloke wrote: »
    Justice for a start I'd imagine? And recompense?
    Hopefully someone with a dashcam or cctv will be able to come forward and provide identifying info. Leaving someone on the road like that can be lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

According to the victim on Liveline, the Gardaí have obtained video footage of the car involved but can't make out the reg number. Hopefully the driver will be identified, prosecuted and face a lengthy disqualification. No matter what the cause of the collision, leaving someone injured on the side of the road is unforgivable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

According to the victim on Liveline, the Gardaí have obtained video footage of the car involved but can't make out the reg number. Hopefully the driver will be identified, prosecuted and face a lengthy disqualification. No matter what the cause of the collision, leaving someone injured on the side of the road is unforgivable.

Leaving someone with broken bones on the side of the road I'd hope for something rather more severe than disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

smacl wrote: »
    Leaving someone with broken bones on the side of the road I'd hope for something rather more severe than disqualification.

No chance, there's no justice system in this country. Case in point below which serves as a terrible precedent. Fatal hit and run, attempt at preventing the course of justice by burying the car involved and driving with no insurance and he just gets a suspended sentence and community service.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-21-who-buried-car-on-family-farm-after-fatal-hit-and-run-avoids-jail-1.3968778%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Duffy was already making excuses about the sun for the motorist actually hitting the guy.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Duffy was already making excuses about the sun for the motorist actually hitting the guy.

What a cnut!!! :mad::mad:

And the fcukin full moon made him keep driving is it??!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was involved in a bad car crash in 2016. Passenger in a taxi going to airport (to an Ironman event), car sailed through a red light, speeding, slammed into us and flipped us over. Cut out and in bits.

"Sun was in drivers eyes" so nothing happened. Dunno about others but when I am driving and I cannot see, for whatever reason, I slow the **** down. Stop even.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tunney wrote: »
    "Sun was in drivers eyes" so nothing happened. Dunno about others but when I am driving and I cannot see, for whatever reason, I slow the **** down. Stop even.

and did that stand up in court? did it go to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

In fairness, it was in the context of trying to encourage the driver to come forward, as in - there may be extenuating circumstances. The cyclist was very supportive of this and seemed more keen that the driver identify themselves rather than have it on their conscience for years to come. I probably haven't explained it particularly well but have a listen on the RTE player and you will get a better idea of the context.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tunney wrote: »
    I was involved in a bad car crash in 2016. Passenger in a taxi going to airport (to an Ironman event), car sailed through a red light, speeding, slammed into us and flipped us over. Cut out and in bits.

Yet you tip a f*clker in a car at 10kmph and they get a back injury within hours and 17grand.

Awful country in certain respects

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/driver-who-killed-cyclist-while-blinded-by-sun-found-not-guilty/

"The jury found her not guilty of dangerous driving causing death by a majority of 11 to 1."

Hit a cyclist from behind cos the sun was in her eyes.

The gas thing is, a cyclist reads that in horror thinking "Gosh, that could've been me". But the motorist reads it in relief thinking "<Phew!> Wow. Could've been me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

fat bloke wrote: »
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/driver-who-killed-cyclist-while-blinded-by-sun-found-not-guilty/

"The jury found her not guilty of dangerous driving causing death by a majority of 11 to 1."

Hit a cyclist from behind cos the sun was in her eyes.

The gas thing is, a cyclist reads that in horror thinking "Gosh, that could've been me". But the motorist reads it in relief thinking "<Phew!> Wow. Could've been me!"

Sun wasn't exactly low at time of collision.

About 13 degrees.

Blinded by sun always gets traction.

A lot of people haven't been convicted for killing pedestrians with same excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness, it was in the context of trying to encourage the driver to come forward, as in - there may be extenuating circumstances. The cyclist was very supportive of this and seemed more keen that the driver identify themselves rather than have it on their conscience for years to come. I probably haven't explained it particularly well but have a listen on the RTE player and you will get a better idea of the context.
    I listened to it live. To me it was pushing sure if the sun was in your eyes extenuating circumstances. Which it shouldn't be.

Can't see, slow down to a speed at which you can safely stop in the distance you can see*.

*the single biggest thing wrong with people that drive in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was a poster on here who caught a motorist on cyclist collision on camera, quite clearly, and IIRC in court it was offered up that the motorist had the sun in her eyes, even though the video clearly contradicted this, but it was accepted without comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You gotta say. Fair play to him, he looks in absolutely tip top condition for any age, let alone a man in his fifties. I hope he recovers fully, mentally and physically

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Normal services resume. Just caught the start of Duffy as I left the kitchen, he's now on to cyclists going around running people over. Wonder will he ask if there was sunlight in his eyes so didn't see the colour of the lights or person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

The junction setup described by the victim in that Kildare hit and run is almost identical to one on my bike to work route. Only difference is I am usually taking the left also. Several times I have been in the process of taking the turn to be greeted with a car travelling at speed on the wrong side of the road squeezing into the turn ahead of me. The level of stupidity is astounding.
    They could be on the wrong side of the road from about 70 yards before their turn. I kid you not

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

Helium wrote: »

Christ I know an almost identical junction between Drogheda and Collon on the R168. You'd be coming from Collon to Drogheda for it to match that one. Poorly signed from the Collon side too if I recall? Signed or not at 8am it's locals mainly who drive these roads I'd reckon and are feckless due to habit, used to meeting nobody on the road 99% of the time and not paying enough attention when it matters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

there was a poster on here who caught a motorist on cyclist collision on camera, quite clearly, and IIRC in court it was offered up that the motorist had the sun in her eyes, even though the video clearly contradicted this, but it was accepted without comment.

Correct, went to court and there was a punishment but the sun in my eyes was a mitigating factor despite the video clearly showing the sun was not at an angle that would have gotten in the drivers eyes.

I know I have told this story before about a Garda I used to live with telling me about lights on Georges St. and a driver went straight through on red in front of him. Got stuck in traffic and he pulled her in. She apologised and said sorry, she couldn't see. He just couldn't get the mentality. He isn't a cyclist and for all intents and purposes was a boy racer with his Golf but it just blew his mind that she would even try it as an excuse, the rant he went on about it. She argued back with him when he pointed out that if you can't see in front of you, you should stop immediately, and she still argued about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whatever about the low sun "causing" the accident, it has zero bearing on leaving the scene of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Listening to liveline, they have received a copy of a WhatsApp video of the cyclist being pushed off his bike by a passenger hanging out the window of a moving car. Apparently it has very good clear footage of the driver and passenger, a third guy in backseat was the camera man, not the brightest people thankfully . Very good chance of these idiots being caught now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not the incident of the hit and run in kildare though, just in case there's any confusion.

Advertisement