Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new android/plan

Options
  • 11-04-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 year old Samsung Galaxy A3 which is coming to the end of its useful life. Its OS is 6.0.1 and won't support some app updates plus the majority of the 16GB storage are used by the operating system. I've accepted I need to move on!

I'm currently on Vodafone Bill Pay - €25 a month. I got the phone off them free but I presume by this stage it's unlocked. I've been eligible for upgrades for years but the plan price always seems to increase too.

Current plan includes unlimited mins and texts to any network but only 2GB data. I mostly use wifi so that's not been too much of a problem. Use the phone primarily for social media and calling people. Video calls, email etc I use a work iphone 11 I have.

So I need
    - android, something similar to the Galaxy A3
    - no initial charge for phone or low cost phone and option for cheap sim only
    - monthly cost under €25
    - increased storage
    - unlimited calls
    - keep my number
    - quick and easy transfer/upgrade
    - no preference on bill pay or payg

I presume as I need a new phone that the likes of sim only options like GoMo and 48 won't be available?

It's been years since I shopped around and did research on this and the market has changed so much. Appreciate any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's almost definite that the Samsung is still locked, it will only get unlocked by you requesting the code from Vodafone.

Best option is to buy an unlocked phone from the likes of Amazon.de, Argos etc. I don't have any recommendations but others here will.

Once you have an unlocked phone then you can choose any network and any plan as long as coverage is good.

48 is cheapest at 10.99 pm (PAYG)

Clear is 12.99 pm but speed is capped at 5Mbps, coverage same as VF (SIM only)

Gomo is 14.99 pm (SIM only)

Phone contracts are poor value as demonstrated by the low data allowance of 2GB which is miserly compared to current plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Meathlass wrote: »
    I'm currently on Vodafone Bill Pay - €25 a month. I got the phone off them free but I presume by this stage it's unlocked. I've been eligible for upgrades for years but the plan price always seems to increase too.
    Given that you have held on to your existing phone for 6 years, you have demonstrated that you are a careful responsible phone owner who isn't swayed by marketing hype to fork out for the latest model. If you opt for a "free" phone, and stay on the same contract for the next 6 years you will be subsidizing the careless users, who break their screens and seek handset replacements every year or two.

You are precisely the profile of user who should avoid "subsidized" handset contracts, and instead buy your handset for list price, and select a SIM only tariff plan that meets your modest usage requirements. Vodafone's cheapest "free" handset plan appears to be €40 per month. That plan has a miserable 100minute limit, and data speed throttling. You only need to pay €15pm or less for an effectively unlimited SIM-only plan. On a €40 plan, you would be overpaying by €25 pm vs typical SIM-only. Over 2 years contract period, you would save €600 in your piggy-bank to cover the cost of your next handset. If you stay on the contract after the initial 2 years as you have done, you will save €1,800 over next 6 years!

Best SIM-only deal is probably Eir €9.99pm, if you are in a position to bundle with your broadband. If you want to stay with Vodafone, switch to their Clear Mobile SIM-only deal at €12.99pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It's almost definite that the Samsung is still locked.
    Actually realised that it isn't as original phone/contract was with Three and I got it unlocked and moved to VF about 4 years ago. I'm out of contract with VF since Oct 2018.

You are precisely the profile of user who should avoid "subsidized" handset contracts, and instead buy your handset for list price, and select a SIM only tariff plan.
    Thanks, that's pretty much confirming my thoughts that I'd be a mug to take on another subsidised contract.

Any thoughts on model to buy outright so? With the cheap sim only plan I presume you buy an unlocked phone, then buy the sim (presumably online) and arrange to have number ported? Then you cancel your current provider (or perhaps that happens automatically once transfered). I use the number for work so I really can't have any time where it's out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Actually realised that it isn't as original phone/contract was with Three and I got it unlocked and moved to VF about 4 years ago. I'm out of contract with VF since Oct 2018.

Did you get another phone from VF? When you left three then you could have chosen any plan with any network as the phone was unlocked....similar to what you're doing now.

Normally when you bring a phone to a network, it's for a SIM only plan which is cheaper than a contract as there's no handset to pay for.

From the details given, it seems you were on a SIM only contract and that may have been why upgrades were costing more per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you get another phone from VF? When you left three then you could have chosen any plan with any network as the phone was unlocked....similar to what you're doing now.

From the details given, it seems you were on a SIM only contract and that may have been why upgrades were costing more per month.

No, same phone for the 6 years. In hindsight it seems I must have moved on a sim only plan to VF and I have a vague recollection of haggling them down in the shop to get a cheaper tarrif by excluding some parts of the plan. Just checked and the plan I'm on is called 'Simply Smart' - obviously a legacy plan. Any options online to change my plan either sim or bill pay is an increased price.

I had to switch to VF as I moved to a fairly remote part of the country and VF were the only provider with phone reception in the area. I've since moved back to Dublin so that's not an issue anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

You'll get a decent Samsung galaxy or Moto for 200 odd euro from amazon. Or a Google pixel phone if you want to splash out.

Then sign up to a sim free plan for 10 to 20 euro a month and away you go

People will tell you to go for a Chinese phone or sign up to the really cheap networks like gomo or 48 but personally I would stay to the big names.

Advertisement