Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

• 11-04-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Thinking of taking out Eir TV with their broadband service. Any of the threads I am looking at are from over a year ago. Anybody currently with Eir TV can you tell me

Are you happy with it? Are the channels HD or SD, whats the pic quality like?

can you record rte, virgin , bbc or c4.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭gmacww

Hey cloudhopper. I currently have eir for bb and tv. I've been with them for 7 years from the previous evision and now have the eir tv through apple tv.

I think like most companies you only usually hear the noise of people complaining and the ones that are happy are the silent majority. In that time I've had about 3 issues which were dealt with really fast by eir. The first two were right after I'd flipped when they were rolling out efiber and they were to do with the cabinet. The other a socket in the house which they came out right away and fixed. Anytime I've called them I've always had great service. Contrast that to both Sky and BT previously who I had absolute nightmares with.

The current TV I'm very happy with. Haven't had any interruption in service and the picture quality is fantastic. Some channels are HD but not all but from the top of my head RTE, Virgin, TG4, CH4, BBC, eir sport are all HD. Maybe missing some. The HD pic quality is excellent. Recording wise you can't record RTE but they have the player which I find a lot better than many say. Again maybe I've lower standards but I really don't see all the guff that it gets. I only ever really record off BBC and that's probs you can do that, series record etc...

Now what some have had issue with is the remote. It's an apple TV which I was used to in any case and I actually prefer the apple tv remote over a normal big ass tv one. If you've never used it it can take some getting used to. The eir tv app itself is good but there are a couple of little annoyances that could take it up a step. That said it's very like any other EPG you may have seen on an android box or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Run a mile from this shower of charlatans, then run another mile.

Seriously, the worst company I have ever dealt with. Poor picture quality, slow BB speeds, flimsy hardware.

Central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

gmacww wrote: »
    ...I think like most companies you only usually hear the noise of people complaining and the ones that are happy are the silent majority.

eircom, outsourced most, if not all, of their customer support (i.e. Call Centres) to a third party. That is where the majority of issues, and many complaints to ComReg, arose. It has now been brought back in house and should improve substantially.

I'd be happy to give them another go, if I get the chance. I suspect that their service is going to be excellent.
    gmacww wrote: »
    ...I've had about 3 issues which were dealt with really fast by eir. The first two were right after I'd flipped when they were rolling out efiber and they were to do with the cabinet. The other a socket in the house which they came out right away and fixed. Anytime I've called them I've always had great service. Contrast that to both Sky and BT previously who I had absolute nightmares with.

Most fixed broadband, apart from Virgin Media, uses the eircom network for providing the connection to the home. The same team maintains this, regardless of whom the customer signed up with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As good a place to mention this, Apple just announced their Apple TV (6th generation) and the remote has been redesigned with directional buttons, which might suit those whose main complaint was the remote. (Also, Siri apparently finally works here, which is about time at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

icdg wrote: »
    As good a place to mention this, Apple just announced their Apple TV (6th generation) and the remote has been redesigned with directional buttons, which might suit those whose main complaint was the remote. (Also, Siri apparently finally works here, which is about time at this stage).

I was with Sky tv for decades for the sports.

Last year I switched to Eir TV and I'm extremely happy.

I'm just paying €10 per month for uk and Irish tv and also some others like Discovery, UK Gold etc.

I also purchased extra apple boxes from adverts and they also give me the Eir tv package at no extra cost. I can also cast Eir tv from my phone to chromecast and it all works flawlessly.

I also dabble in Sky sports via the Now TV app and there are always good offers on that. I'm currently subscribing to Sky Sports for the end of the Premier league and that's costing €20 for a months viewing.

I'm very happy, far better value than Sky as that was crazy costs.

I've no issue with the apple touch remote and my family have no complaints about it either.

You can also control the apple box via remote apps for android and ios

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Last year I switched to Eir TV and I'm extremely happy.

I'm just paying €10 per month for uk and Irish tv and also some others like Discovery, UK Gold etc.

I also purchased extra apple boxes from adverts and they also give me the Eir tv package at no extra cost. I can also cast Eir tv from my phone to chromecast and it all works flawlessly.

Can you use the App Store with the Apple TV that eir provide?

Can you use the App Store with the Apple TV that eir provide?

Yes.

Given to understand (but happy to be corrected) that it’s a totally bog standard Apple TV just like the ones you can order on the Apple store, with the eir TV app the only customisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Surprised people are not using sat and saorview services once you have a sat dish and aerial and a box for recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Babyonboard95

I am with Eir for tv and bb. I can honestly say I am more than satisfied with the service for both. Tv only costs me an extra €10 a month which is great value.
    The tv is excellent quality in picture and sound, the Apple TV box is handy too for casting off my phone etc.
    I actually find their customer service to be fantastic. My father has tv and bb with Vodafone which I look after for him and their customer service, bb and tv are the worst I have ever come across. I’m waiting for his contract to be up so I can switch him to Eir.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Surprised people are not using sat and saorview services once you have a sat dish and aerial and a box for recording.

Too many wires, my home is much more clutter free now as Eir tv box is wireless.

Recording is old school cloud recording and all the catch-up tv is adequate

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Too many wires, my home is much more clutter free now as Eir tv box is wireless.

Recording is old school cloud recording and all the catch-up tv is adequate

That is the other side plenty of cables and boxes amp and speakers.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Is it just me, or do some of the posts on this thread read more like an advertisement than a genuine endorsement?

Unless you can give me some information to back that up, we won’t pursue this argument.

Some posters seem to think it is a crime to say anything positive about a product or service and in particular there’s sometime a narrative that if you’re not on Saorview/Freesat there’s something wrong with you. There’s good reasons people may want to subscribe to pay tv and different platforms have different strengths. And isn’t it good that we have loads of options to debate!

All i can say if internet goes i can still watch tv as dont have all eggs in one basket.

Agreed plenty of options to use or choose from.

Indeed.

If I were to call eir TV’s particular strengths, it’s that it’s cheap if you’re already an eir BB subscriber, it’s app allows you to cast the full line up with no restrictions (Sky, please give us Chromecast support in this day and age!) and of course eir Sport (though that is now living on borrowed time and will be gone sooner or later though given the wind down announcement). Also if you were planning on buying an Apple TV 4K anyway it may be a cost effective way of getting it.

The disadvantages? The recording restrictions are number one obviously. Lack of premium sports or movie channels (some of us want to record NFL prime time games!). The Apple TV remote (though as mentioned, they’re bringing out a better one and eir always sold a third party conventional remote). No channel numbers (personally speaking, I couldn’t live without them!)

Indeed.

If I were to call eir TV’s particular strengths, it’s that it’s cheap if you’re already an eir BB subscriber, it’s app allows you to cast the full line up with no restrictions (Sky, please give us Chromecast support in this day and age!) and of course eir Sport (though that is now living on borrowed time and will be gone sooner or later though given the wind down announcement). Also if you were planning on buying an Apple TV 4K anyway it may be a cost effective way of getting it.

The disadvantages? The recording restrictions are number one obviously. Lack of premium sports or movie channels (some of us want to record NFL prime time games!). The Apple TV remote (though as mentioned, they’re bringing out a better one and eir always sold a third party conventional remote). No channel numbers (personally speaking, I couldn’t live without them!)

With the current Apple TV 4k and Eir TV I can do everything with my thumb, I find it extremely convenient and I can do voice control also

greasepalm wrote: »
    That is the other side plenty of cables and boxes amp and speakers.:(

My speaker is a Bose soundbar connected via Bluetooth no cables very neat setup

I recently called Eir support and noticed a massive improvement, I was not waiting on phone and was very satisfied with the assistance. I think the improvements have began.

I've just got eir Fibre with eirTV, as the pandemic scuttled my move to rural Ireland. First impressions are good, I'm amazed with the number of channels in HD. My immediate issue is the 'Wifey' factor - she considers the Apple remote, and the various apps all too complicated. Worst case it will bring all the channels to our downstairs den, without any new cabling.

By the way I can confirm that eir provide a bog standard Apple TV, with no restrictions of any sort. I have installed the NowTV app, so that I can watch F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I've just got eir Fibre with eirTV, as the pandemic scuttled my move to rural Ireland. First impressions are good, I'm amazed with the number of channels in HD. My immediate issue is the 'Wifey' factor - she considers the Apple remote, and the various apps all too complicated. Worst case it will bring all the channels to our downstairs den, without any new cabling.

By the way I can confirm that eir provide a bog standard Apple TV, with no restrictions of any sort. I have installed the NowTV app, so that I can watch F1.
    Are you satisfied with the Cloud recording feature? I have the previous eir TV solution, which has traditional disk recording. I have been reluctant to upgrade to the Apple TV box from Eir, as it only has Cloud recording. Can you record all BBC content? Is RTE recording still missing? (Not such a problem, as we can use the RTE player, although it is a bit buggy). I think Apple announced a new Remote recently, but perhaps it is an extra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭gmacww

Are you satisfied with the Cloud recording feature? I have the previous eir TV solution, which has traditional disk recording. I have been reluctant to upgrade to the Apple TV box from Eir, as it only has Cloud recording. Can you record all BBC content? Is RTE recording still missing? (Not such a problem, as we can use the RTE player, although it is a bit buggy). I think Apple announced a new Remote recently, but perhaps it is an extra?

I had the previous tv box as well. The picture and sound are far superior from the apple tv than the old box. Now that said I think I had the original evision box so they may have improved over the years.

Cloud recording for me is fine but to be fair I don't tend to record a lot. My wife uses it all the time and has no complaints. She's mainly recording BBC content. While I haven't checked every program on BBC any that I've tried to record have done so without issue. RTE recording is still not available but the player is and to be honest I find the player absolutely fine and a perfect alternative. Each to their own though.

Apple announced a new remote for the new version of the tv. I'd say it will be a while before you'd get that one from eir as I'm sure they've a stock of current gen tv's to get through first. Eir also sell a "traditional" remote as well. I've not used it mind as I actually prefer the apple one. It's faster and less cumbersome.

Well, it's (very) early days, yet. I haven't tried the cloud recording yet. I hope that, where available, it allows the ads to be skipped. I haven't watched any in years and it's my biggest bugbear with RTE Player. If they can't manage this, maybe they could implement an option to start viewing from the beginning like the TG4 Player. edit: It is possible to restart, on some channels, only. That's something useful that's not available with Saorview\Freesat set ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

Thinking of getting eir tv after being years with sky.

Does it run off broadband only?
    Can you record RTE channels?
    Can you rewind and pause?
    Is the box for tv just the tiny Apple TV box? (If so, can this be placed at any tv where the broadband reaches?)
    Is the user interface ok?
    Will it be a pain to adapt to after sky for years?

obi604 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting eir tv after being years with sky.

Does it run off broadband only?
    Can you record RTE channels?
    Can you rewind and pause?
    Is the box for tv just the tiny Apple TV box? (If so, can this be placed at any tv where the broadband reaches?)
    Is the user interface ok?
    Will it be a pain to adapt to after sky for years?
    • The full Tv Service runs on AppleTV, and only works on your home network.
    • The eirTV app also works outside the home network, with a limited set of channels, including eir sport.
    • You cannot record RTE channels, but you can go to the RTE Player from within the eirTV app.
    • You can rewind and pause some channels, but not the RTE ones. Start from the beginning is also available for many channels (again not for RTE).
    • The AppleTV can be placed anywhere the Broadband is within reach. This was one of the reasons I went for this as I only have satellite in the sitting room and kitchen. (I have cat 5e cable, unterminated, in every room. However, I never bothered wiring it all up.)
    • I am really impressed by the User Interface. It's of similar quality to Netflix and Amazon Prime,which we use already. The other half was wary at first but now she has no problem. She's using the Tv Remote to turn the TV on/off and the Siri remote for everything else. The breakthrough was that AppleTV switches the TVto the correct input, automatically.)
    • Only you can answer about Sky. However, if 'Wifey' can hack it, I'd say you'd be ok. She was particularly taken that she can watch TV on her iPad, even outside the house. (In theory you could do that with our current Combo Box, but the User Interface for streaming is crude.)

It's still early days and I'm not yet ready to retire my existing setup. However, I suspect that my Tiviar box will shortly be switched off. One rant is that the quality of all the Irishchannels is better on eirTV, than on Saorview. It is really galling that this hasn't been sorted by no,with all the channels on Saorview being in proper HD. /rant

• The full Tv Service runs on AppleTV, and only works on your home network.
    • The eirTV app also works outside the home network, with a limited set of channels, including eir sport.
    • You cannot record RTE channels, but you can go to the RTE Player from within the eirTV app.
    • You can rewind and pause some channels, but not the RTE ones. Start from the beginning is also available for many channels (again not for RTE).
    • The AppleTV can be placed anywhere the Broadband is within reach. This was one of the reasons I went for this as I only have satellite in the sitting room and kitchen. (I have cat 5e cable, unterminated, in every room. However, I never bothered wiring it all up.)
    • I am really impressed by the User Interface. It's of similar quality to Netflix and Amazon Prime,which we use already. The other half was wary at first but now she has no problem. She's using the Tv Remote to turn the TV on/off and the Siri remote for everything else. The breakthrough was that AppleTV switches the TVto the correct input, automatically.)
    • Only you can answer about Sky. However, if 'Wifey' can hack it, I'd say you'd be ok. She was particularly taken that she can watch TV on her iPad, even outside the house. (In theory you could do that with our current Combo Box, but the User Interface for streaming is crude.)

It's still early days and I'm not yet ready to retire my existing setup. However, I suspect that my Tiviar box will shortly be switched off. One rant is that the quality of all the Irishchannels is better on eirTV, than on Saorview. It is really galling that this hasn't been sorted by no,with all the channels on Saorview being in proper HD. /rant

Thank you for that in depth reply. disappointing the way you can’t pause or record RTE.

For the ones you can record, where do they record to?

The only thing wifey watches is Bleedin home and f’in away. Something I watched 30 years ago !! (For Sophie)
    Wonder can this be watched on the rte player.

How long after a programme is finished is it live on the player. E.g. 9 o clock news, would that be there when it’s over at 9:30pm etc or would you have to wait hours?

Having other options can work also if you had a sat dish and aerial.
    Pause and record will/can work ok and can have internal or external hdd.

For the ones you can record, where do they record to?

They are recorded in the cloud, so are available on any device.
    How long after a programme is finished is it live on the player. E.g. 9 o clock news, would that be there when it’s over at 9:30pm etc or would you have to wait hours?

I don't know, sorry.

How are people finding the lack of pause on RTÉ channels. I find I use it a lot, especially with the kids etc.

I’m just used to pause and indeed record on sky

How are people finding the lack of pause on RTÉ channels. I find I use it a lot, especially with the kids etc.

I’m just used to pause and indeed record on sky

It's a PITA to be honest. I've had live pause and recording for as long as I remember. When I left Sky, after many years, I moved to free solution using a single box. It also has live pause and has served me well, as described here.

Having said that, every approach has its good and bad points. For me, usability, cost and content are king. Taking each area:

Cost
    The cost is only €10pm, which is nothing, if already using eir Broadband.

Usability
    This solution, taken as a whole, is the best I've had. (However, I've never had SkyQ or an Android solution, so can't compare to these.) The eirTV Interface is truly excellent, and child's play to use. The RTE player is integrated as is Prime Video. I also have a few other apps installed, including NowTV, Spotify, Netflix and YouTube. These are simple to change to and are controlled by the same remote.
    I haven't managed to get the Siri Remote to power on/off the TV, otherwise it does everything.
    (I haven't tried using Siri yet, either.)

Content
    The number of free HD Channels, and catch-up content, was better than I expected. My sports watching is confined to F1 and hurling. I use NowTV for F1, which previously I used on my iPad.

In relation to the Kids....
    We often mind our grandson, who is addicted to CocoMelon on Netflix. It drives me nuts, and I only roll it out when all else fails. There is tons of content on YouTube, which I much prefer. This includes music for sleeping, which I cast to the Lounge to help him settle. (Accepted, this is just me, and all our approaches differ. :))

• Advertisement

Thank you again banner man ;)

For me and with kids I find i want to watch a programme and then get sidelined with them - so could end up pausing a programme for 30 mins etc etc. This happens a lot.

Also with kids, can’t get to watch things when I want so end up having to record. And normally RTÉ type stuff.

This all works ‘nice’ with sky.

But will disappear with Eir.......
    Was all psyched about the Eir TV scenario, but it has serious limitations with regard to record and pause

Advertisement