Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

obi604 wrote: »
    Thank you again banner man ;)

For me and with kids I find i want to watch a programme and then get sidelined with them - so could end up pausing a programme for 30 mins etc etc. This happens a lot.

Also with kids, can’t get to watch things when I want so end up having to record. And normally RTÉ type stuff.

This all works ‘nice’ with sky.

But will disappear with Eir.......
    Was all psyched about the Eir TV scenario, but it has serious limitations with regard to record and pause

Ok, I had another look for you and it appears I gave you a bad steer. :(

Live pause IS available for most programs.
    (I was unlucky, I tried it on a film, which must have had restricted rights.)

RTE Player is part of the eirTV menu, so recording isn't a big deal.

I won't post on this again, until we've used it for a bit. I don't want to mislead anyone again. In the meantime I would encourage anyone looking to reduce their TV costs to try and get a demo. The features are far more advanced than we expected and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭obi604

Ok, I had another look for you and it appears I gave you a bad steer. :(

Live pause IS available for most programs.
    (I was unlucky, I tried it on a film, which must have had restricted rights.)

RTE Player is part of the eirTV menu, so recording isn't a big deal.

I won't post on this again, until we've used it for a bit. I don't want to mislead anyone again. In the meantime I would encourage anyone looking to reduce their TV costs to try and get a demo. The features are far more advanced than we expected and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

No bother. Can anyone else comment on the live pause with Eir/Apple?

Is live pause possible on RTÉ especially?
    Or is there different scenarios for films etc.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I also purchased extra apple boxes from adverts and they also give me the Eir tv package at no extra cost. I can also cast Eir tv from my phone to chromecast and it all works flawlessly....

You can also control the apple box via remote apps for android and ios

Hi Irish Homer,

What's remote app do you use for android?

Did your Apple TV's count towards your device limit, or were they separate? (With our plan we can use two devices, which I have assigned to our iPads. I'd hate to lose the TV on either of them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

No bother. Can anyone else comment on the live pause with Eir/Apple?

Is live pause possible on RTÉ especially?
    Or is there different scenarios for films etc.

I tried it on a few shows there and I can pause without issue on RTE. Now I didn't leave it any great length of time to be honest but it does pause.

On the player question. What is on RTE is also streamed on the player at the same time so as soon as a program is over it's usually available on the player.

gmacww wrote: »
    I tried it on a few shows there and I can pause without issue on RTE. Now I didn't leave it any great length of time to be honest but it does pause.

On the player question. What is on RTE is also streamed on the player at the same time so as soon as a program is over it's usually available on the player.

nice one, thank you.
    so within minutes, its up on rte player yeah via eir/apple tv?
    I just know from the standard rte player in a browser it takes hours for things to get on to player, so if you missed a programme, you would have to wait and wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

nice one, thank you.
    so within minutes, its up on rte player yeah via eir/apple tv?
    I just know from the standard rte player in a browser it takes hours for things to get on to player, so if you missed a programme, you would have to wait and wait

Well the one on the apple tv is just the standard rte player than you download from the app store. It's not a special one for eir or anything.

gmacww wrote: »
    Well the one on the apple tv is just the standard rte player than you download from the app store. It's not a special one for eir or anything.

ok grand, have just noticed on rte player I may be hours waiting for fresh programme to come online

e..g I missed the 9pm news, it may not be able to view on RTE player until the next daye etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

e..g I missed the 9pm news, it may not be able to view on RTE player until the next daye etc

Thats odd. Tonights Six One is already available less than 2 hours since it broadcast.

What is the bootup or startup time of eir tv from being powered off.

My sky + box takes forever to boot up, it takes 3/4 minutes to get going, does my head in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s an app. It runs on a standard Apple TV. It takes a couple of seconds.

More generally, you’re not really supposed to plug out a Sky STB at all, except maybe to reboot it if it freezes up or something. Sky want you to leave it plugged in 24/7 so it can get updates and the like. Also if you plug it out it won’t record anything while it’s plugged out.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    It’s an app. It runs on a standard Apple TV. It takes a couple of seconds.

More generally, you’re not really supposed to plug out a Sky STB at all, except maybe to reboot it if it freezes up or something. Sky want you to leave it plugged in 24/7 so it can get updates and the like. Also if you plug it out it won’t record anything while it’s plugged out.

Fair enough. I plug mine out every night. Only an odd time do I record whilst in bed so leave it on then

ive never used EIR TV before, so will only get to use it when it gets installed etc

new customer scenario, I was going to just order 1 tv pack for 9.99 and see how I like it etc

if I liked it and wanted to add an extra room, wonder could I get it at 9.99 or does price jump up when I didn't do it as part of the original new customer order

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

hello
    regarding a bundle with EIR including tv {standard channels only}
    do you get issued with some type of set top box as you do with sky or virgin
    thanks in advance

Merged.

You get an Apple TV 4K.

got my Apple Eir TV hardware today. The actual go live/install is not due for another month.

I have an iPhone and apple ID already. I also have prime video as I am subscribed to amazon prime separately.
    Is it best to use this or better to create a totally fresh Apple ID?

Or another way of asking

Do I even need to enter an apple ID if I don't care about the free prime video scenario?

got my Apple Eir TV hardware today. The actual go live/install is not due for another month.

I have an iPhone and apple ID already. I also have prime video as I am subscribed to amazon prime separately.
    Is it best to use this or better to create a totally fresh Apple ID?

Or another way of asking

Do I even need to enter an apple ID if I don't care about the free prime video scenario?

You’ll need one to use the App Store, Apple TV+ (you get a years free trial of that too), iCloud, iTunes, and all the other stuff you normally need one for.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t use the same one you already have for your iPhone.

You’ll need one to use the App Store, Apple TV+ (you get a years free trial of that too), iCloud, iTunes, and all the other stuff you normally need one for.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t use the same one you already have for your iPhone.

Ah ok. I presume I can use the same id on another Apple TV box (multi room)

Ah ok. I presume I can use the same id on another Apple TV box (multi room)

You can use it on as many Apple devices as you want. In fact it’s better to, if you want access to all the same content/apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I have Eir Vision currently. Am due to get an Apple TV Box in the next couple of days. However I noticed on the email that my Sports package is not included. I called and was told I would have to download Now TV and subscribe through Now TV for Sports. Just wondering how people find using Now tv for the sports channels. Is it user friendly to download the app to the apple box, as I'm a bit of a ludite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I have Eir Vision currently. Am due to get an Apple TV Box in the next couple of days. However I noticed on the email that my Sports package is not included. I called and was told I would have to download Now TV and subscribe through Now TV for Sports. Just wondering how people find using Now tv for the sports channels. Is it user friendly to download the app to the apple box, as I'm a bit of a ludite.

did you not want to keep your evision box ? also as well you wont be able to record or series link on the apple tv/eir. when i recontracted with eir last year i was afraid they would ask for the evision box back but no they left me keep it as im happy with it as a my tv platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I just got a text to say they would be delivering the new Apple boxes today. Nobody mentioned anything about giving the boxes back.

AppleTV is a joy to use and a big step up from traditional set top boxes. It is simple to download any available app, including NowTV. It uses the App Store just like an Apple iPad or iPhone. The most difficult part, which is straightforward, is setting up your AppleID.

kooga wrote: »
    did you not want to keep your evision box ? also as well you wont be able to record or series link on the apple tv/eir. when i recontracted with eir last year i was afraid they would ask for the evision box back but no they left me keep it as im happy with it as a my tv platform.
    You can record and series link many programmes, but not all. Most Irish programmes that you can't record are available on the RTE Player, which you can access directly from the eirTV menu. One feature I really like is the ability to watch most programmes from the start, if you switch over. You can also replay programmes from earlier in the day, directly from the Electronic Programme Guide. I've started to use this all the time.

Just thought I'd give my thoughts, 1 month in.

eir Customer Support appears to have improved immeasurably - once you get past the interminable menus. My first bill was incorrect and it was sorted in 5 min, over the phone.

The AppleTV platform is brilliant and gives major flexibility. Wifey is very happy with it, and is comfortable moving between apps. The recording restrictions are not as bad as I feared, as you can replay most programs directly from the guide. It is a really polished solution and far ahead of expectations. I would recommend it as a cost effective solution, if you already have eir broadband.

Having said that, the content management restrictions annoy me. You never know when you won't be able to record a program or be forced to watch through the ads, on playback. I loved being able to pause tv and then zip through the ads, when I returned. I hope we're not being forced in the direction of the US, with targeted ads hitting us at frequent intervals.

Apart from that, it's pretty good, though I don't like the remote. (I intend getting a second AppleTV, to get the new improved version.) I just need a good radio app, fir the UK stations, as I listen to them a good bit. I can play them on Apple Music, but I have no intention of paying a months subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭endainoz

I have an issue with our eir tv box at home. The channels aren't coming in. Connection is fine, I can browse channels fine but just getting a blank screen, tried the usual reboots and even rebooted the router but no joy. Separately this morning, the mother got a call from eir saying they were sending out a new box on Monday as we're entitled to it or something, but they hardly shut off the old one already? Thanks for any help in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Why can't eir tv or Apple, not sure what the correct name is, allow you to record any programme from any channel at any time, like Sky does ? If Sky can get the permission or rights or whatever is needed, why can't eir/Apple ? I'm sorry, but I'll never be happy with a service that dictates what I can and can't record.

To be clear, Apple TV is a completely off the shelf media streaming box that can be bought in all good retail outlets. Eir run their TV service eir TV as an app on Apple TV but Apple are no more responsible for it than Google are responsible if you Chromecast the RTE Player.

Also not to be confused with:

* Apple TV+, a separate streaming service run by Apple that you can also access on Apple TV (the box).
    * eir Vision, eir’s “old” TV service, which offers (most of) the same channels but on a proprietary hardware/software solution.

As to what the issue is, in summary, some of the broadcasters have decided that eir TV is an “OTT steaming” service instead of a “cable TV” service, and that apparently places obstacles with regard recording that wouldn’t exist if it were a “cable TV” service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

To be clear, Apple TV is a completely off the shelf media streaming box that can be bought in all good retail outlets. Eir run their TV service eir TV as an app on Apple TV but Apple are no more responsible for it than Google are responsible if you Chromecast the RTE Player.

Also not to be confused with:

* Apple TV+, a separate streaming service run by Apple that you can also access on Apple TV (the box).
    * eir Vision, eir’s “old” TV service, which offers (most of) the same channels but on a proprietary hardware/software solution.

As to what the issue is, in summary, some of the broadcasters have decided that eir TV is an “OTT steaming” service instead of a “cable TV” service, and that apparently places obstacles with regard recording that wouldn’t exist if it were a “cable TV” service.

Got it, thanks for the clarification, was wondering why there was the restrictions on recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Just got a text this morning from Eir saying that my evision service is being discontinued and being replaced with the apple box and to contact them. Any idea how i can transfer my recordings?

You usually can’t in those circumstances.

The Apple TV only has 32GB storage for apps and data, it has no local recording capability. Recordings are stored in the cloud (which is part of the rights problem). Even if could be done only an eir tech could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've never heard off any Television Provider in the Republic of Ireland actually transfer any recording from one box to another box.

Advertisement