Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a golf club

Options
  • 12-04-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

I know it's a how long is a price of string question but I'm thinking of joining a golf club. I work Monday to Friday and currently WFH but that will change when we're all vaccinated. I was wondering in order to get the cost benefit of it how many times a week should I be getting a round in? Obviously Saturday will be free because I will be off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Are you comparing the cost to green fees? If so it's a fairly simple equation to get the number of rounds per week or year or whatever!

The one thing I will say is don't think that a casual green fees round of golf is the same as a weekly competition round. It's not. When you're a member in a club, you can play competitive golf. From here you can properly compete with yourself mainly to improve. Which way is your handicap going? That's how you're getting on! From casual weekly rounds you can try to measure yourself and make it more interesting, but it'll never be the same. It even makes the casual rounds better because they become more meaningful practice for your next competition. And that extra element to your rounds will increase your enjoyment. And your frustration with the game, but in a good way.

On the other side, I know some people say they like to play different courses, in which case society golf is a good option. Possibly not this year of course, I'd say they'll really struggle to get courses.

If you're not going to play much, maybe consider a cheaper course? You won't really have many membership type options if you're playing weekends only. But if you're going to get out once a week and have a bit of disposable income I'd definitely say pick a nice course and join.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Depends on membership cost vs cost of green fees vs cost of distant membership somewhere and playing open competitions where available vs distance the club is away from you vs how many members are there so will you even get on the time sheet every weekend you want to play etc.

So yes, how long is a piece of string.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I can only recommend joining,
    It pushes you out more, having a membership has made me go 4 times a week just to make the money worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

I can only second what B-D-P said in recommending joining a golf club, something you won't regret. The option of playing 5/9/12 holes on a sunny evening after work and not feeling like you have to play 18 holes because you have paid a green fee is among the best things about being a member.

To echo what blue note said competition golf is a huge benefit and gets you really into it. I played golf for a few years on a 'season pass' - a sort of half way house between a non member and member where you can play unlimited golf on the course but don't have a handicap and are not able to play competitions- this was not nearly as rewarding or enjoyable as competition golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I play on average 40 times a year and would have the same personal situation as per your description.

The recommend green fee ratio to subscription is 30 to 40 and with the increase in green fees most clubs are at that level. I think it’s important to join a golf in your area so you can access it easily.

I feel I get the value out of my membership but I do know I can play for cheaper but golf is not a cheap hobby when you include equipment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Soundshkin wrote: »
    The option of playing 5/9/12 holes on a sunny evening after work

Just curious on the etiquette for ad-hoc playing a few holes is as a member? Obviously with Covid restrictions things are different with booking but was it acceptable to just turn up at the course and if it's emptyish then head out to a free tee box and play a couple of holes? Or did you always have to start on the first having properly booked in on the timesheet?

tvc15 wrote: »
    Just curious on the etiquette for ad-hoc playing a few holes is as a member? Obviously with Covid restrictions things are different with booking but was it acceptable to just turn up at the course and if it's emptyish then head out to a free tee box and play a couple of holes? Or did you always have to start on the first having properly booked in on the timesheet?

The way our club worked it was that everyone was allowed book 3 9 hole slots a week, both the front and back 9 could be booked and then if a slot was free and you wanted to play outside of your 3 slots you were welcome to book it the day of the slot or turn up at the time, say it at the pro shop and play away then. You had to start at either the 1st or the 9th and people were pulled up for trying to jump in at the second or that.

There was also the option of if the second 9 holes had a free slot after you finished you could play on through as well for more than 9 holes.

You could choose to play as little holes as you wanted regardless though with your time slot obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

My home course wouldn't ever be hugely busy so the unwritten rule was you could jump in wherever is free. My rule of thumb was to make sure no one was coming up the 12th before i teed off on 13. And if someone does come up behind to make sure never to hold them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Soundshkin wrote: »
    The way our club worked it was that everyone was allowed book 3 9 hole slots a week, both the front and back 9 could be booked and then if a slot was free and you wanted to play outside of your 3 slots you were welcome to book it the day of the slot or turn up at the time, say it at the pro shop and play away then. You had to start at either the 1st or the 9th and people were pulled up for trying to jump in at the second or that.

There was also the option of if the second 9 holes had a free slot after you finished you could play on through as well for more than 9 holes.

You could choose to play as little holes as you wanted regardless though with your time slot obviously.

I really wouldn't like that system! My club you can jump in anywhere you want as long as you're not cutting in and holding people up obviously. I'd often head down on my own and walk around until I find a big gap between groups and jump in and start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

billyhead wrote: »
    I know it's a how long is a price of string question but I'm thinking of joining a golf club. I work Monday to Friday and currently WFH but that will change when we're all vaccinated. I was wondering in order to get the cost benefit of it how many times a week should I be getting a round in? Obviously Saturday will be free because I will be off.

I was always on the fence about joining a club and for various reasons felt it wasn't viable at different times. Having joined a club, even through lockdown, it's a decision I'd never regret.

Couldn't recommend it enough compared to casual play at different clubs and societies. Being able to rock up and play a few holes late in the evening during the summer is a rare treat.

You'll be sure to improve with weekly competition too, I haven't yet, but I will. I always had an excuse not to join and I do regret not just having always joined the club closed to me wherever I've been.

Golf membership is really good value in Ireland in general, my club is a little pricier than some, but it's largely location driven and is still good value when all is said and done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

OEP wrote:
    I really wouldn't like that system! My club you can jump in anywhere you want as long as you're not cutting in and holding people up obviously. I'd often head down on my own and walk around until I find a big gap between groups and jump in and start playing.

That's fine in "normal" times but during Covid, I think clubs are required to follow strict booking and contact tracing systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

First Up wrote: »
    That's fine in "normal" times but during Covid, I think clubs are required to follow strict booking and contact tracing systems.

He was asking about normal times

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

OEP wrote: »
    He was asking about normal times

Yep, I only joined a club last year so haven't been a member in normal times yet! Just curious how it changes

Yep, I only joined a club last year so haven't been a member in normal times yet! Just curious how it changes

I mis-read that question so too. In normal times it was permitted if there was no one behind and you weren't slowing anyone up to jump in at certain holes, 6, 10,12 would be the ones people usually jump in at.

Advertisement