Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone had any luck with politicans about housing crisis?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Land prices are dictated in large by the amenities that are close by and the type of housing estates that are close by.

Planning permission is already associated to social housing under part 5 planning. Who do you think pays for the subsidised cost of the part 5 planning. Its the other 80% of those purchasing the properties.

We introduce rules and regs which increase the build cost but don't want to be pay for them.

Remember land cost outside of the major cities is a fraction of what it is in the cities. Why not ease the demand for property in the cities by housing those who don't need to be in the city where land is cheaper and the prices would be affordable in the cities.

Land prices are determined by what a person will pay for a similar parcel of land, what the owner feels the land may be worth in a number of years, and the economic output of the land.

A large field by a dart station is not worth a huge amount if it can never be built on for example.

I never mentioned social housing, the argument about outside the cities is irrelevant as we aren't talking about housing for the council lists.

What would you do to improve housing affordability for working Dubliners that exceed the income limits for council housing? Remember if you tell them to move to the country they will either, stay in the same job and drive (government policy is too try and be green), easily commutable on public transport like Maynooth are already expensive and further afield highly impacts home/family life (remember costs of Irish childcare also the social costs), or leave for a lower paying job more local or leave employment entirely (which costs the state more in lost tax or income support).

Or in your view does unaffordability not matter?it's fair enough if it's pure self interest but be honest about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Land prices are dictated in large by the amenities that are close by and the type of housing estates that are close by.

Planning permission is already associated to social housing under part 5 planning. Who do you think pays for the subsidised cost of the part 5 planning. Its the other 80% of those purchasing the properties.

We introduce rules and regs which increase the build cost but don't want to be pay for them.

Remember land cost outside of the major cities is a fraction of what it is in the cities. Why not ease the demand for property in the cities by housing those who don't need to be in the city where land is cheaper and the prices would be affordable in the cities.

Part V is a great deal alright. The prices in Johnny Ireland's tower look to take the absolute piss surely? Or is it a ruse to keep any social out of the block the council gave planning for? www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ronan-plans-to-sell-960-000-apartment-to-council-for-social-housing-1.4476385%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Dav010 wrote: »
    But for years on Boards people have been calling for professional Landlords to replace the “amateurs” and for more rental accommodation to be made available, that is exactly what is happening in that estate. There will now be a lot more properties hitting the rental market, and the professional LL will increase rent yearly on the dot.

You cannot blame a property developer if a buyer comes in and takes 80% of the properties off their hands in one go, any more than you would pity a developer if they couldn’t sell all their houses and ended up losing money.

Bull****. They just lay vacant cause of extortionate rent prices. Like half of Shackleton in Lucan.
    New Zealand and Canada have put a ban on foreign investors in the private residential market. Would be a miracle if our government could actually do something similar and actually help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

hi! wrote: »
    Bull****. They just lay vacant cause of extortionate rent prices. Like half of Shackleton in Lucan.
    New Zealand and Canada have put a ban on foreign investors in the private residential market. Would be a miracle if our government could actually do something similar and actually help the situation.

I’m in agreement with you. For years when people posted that “amateur” landlords with one or two properties should leave the sector to the professionals who they claimed would offer better accommodation, I protested that these professional LLs could afford to leave properties empty until they got the prices they want, and would increase rent yearly, but no, some posters would not accept that. This is now the reality of companies buying up huge swathes of properties. And like it or not, there is a very good chance that when a hundred thousand students and workers go back to college/offices, and young people want to go back to the city for the nightlife later this year, those properties will find tenants.

One thing is certain though, if I was a developer and someone came along with a bag full of cash to buy 80% of my properties, there is no way I would say no, it would be a criminally stupid business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I am not even saying at cost, I am saying that developers return profits on homes under the 400,000 mark if land prices are not colossally inflated.
    Linking planning permission to affordable home provision would reduce the value of the land (it would still be considerably higher than pasture land though).

And in fairness even if it's out of reach of the lowest say 25% of earners it would reduce demand from higher earners so they wouldn't be bidding up houses in traditionally working class areas.

Dont forget a fifth of what you pay for your house goes to the part 5 allocation to the councils.
    Essentially its a 20% tax to you, the buyer, to pay for houses to go to people who want them even cheaper than you want them. Well hidden tax though it is, because 99% of people dont even realize they are paying that tax when handing over their €400k for their new house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Land prices are determined by what a person will pay for a similar parcel of land, what the owner feels the land may be worth in a number of years, and the economic output of the land.

A large field by a dart station is not worth a huge amount if it can never be built on for example.

I never mentioned social housing, the argument about outside the cities is irrelevant as we aren't talking about housing for the council lists.

What would you do to improve housing affordability for working Dubliners that exceed the income limits for council housing? Remember if you tell them to move to the country they will either, stay in the same job and drive (government policy is too try and be green), easily commutable on public transport like Maynooth are already expensive and further afield highly impacts home/family life (remember costs of Irish childcare also the social costs), or leave for a lower paying job more local or leave employment entirely (which costs the state more in lost tax or income support).

Or in your view does unaffordability not matter?it's fair enough if it's pure self interest but be honest about it

Explain to me then why land in different parts of Dublin command different prices? Explain to me why houses of the same size that are exactly the same in spec vary in price in different parts of Dublin.

Land is finitie whether you want to accept that fact or not. Those who do not need to be within the city limits for work reasons should be not be there. if some of those who do not need to be city limits are not there then it eases demand on the finite land for those who do need to be there reducing or removing the need to commute for work purposes. This includes both private and public housing. A fairer way to charge for public housing in the cities is basing it on some element of access to amenities rather than just on income. How is it fair that two exactly identical households in public housing pay the same rent where one of them live in an area has every amenity on their doorstep (be it libary's, cinema's, shops, etc) and the other lives in an area that has limited amenities?

What would I say regarding people commuting to work in the cities. Use public transport. I work in Dublin city and use public transport every day. Over 99% of private cars on the road have a single occupant in them. if we had less cars on the road we could increase public transport and it would be more regular (as there would be less traffic on the road).

Introduce a congestion charge in the cities to discourage driving into cities. Remove or at least charge people for parking in staff carparks in the city centre who work there.

Affordability does matter but people have to "cut their cloth" to match their income. We don't all get to live where and how we want, this is a fact of life some people would live beside or even where they grew up but they can't because either (a) they can't afford to or (b) there is no available properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Explain to me then why land in different parts of Dublin command different prices? Explain to me why houses of the same size that are exactly the same in spec vary in price in different parts of Dublin.

Land is finitie whether you want to accept that fact or not. Those who do not need to be within the city limits for work reasons should be not be there. if some of those who do not need to be city limits are not there then it eases demand on the finite land for those who do need to be there reducing or removing the need to commute for work purposes. This includes both private and public housing. A fairer way to charge for public housing in the cities is basing it on some element of access to amenities rather than just on income. How is it fair that two exactly identical households in public housing pay the same rent where one of them live in an area has every amenity on their doorstep (be it libary's, cinema's, shops, etc) and the other lives in an area that has limited amenities?

What would I say regarding people commuting to work in the cities. Use public transport. I work in Dublin city and use public transport every day. Over 99% of private cars on the road have a single occupant in them. if we had less cars on the road we could increase public transport and it would be more regular (as there would be less traffic on the road).

Introduce a congestion charge in the cities to discourage driving into cities. Remove or at least charge people for parking in staff carparks in the city centre who work there.

Affordability does matter but people have to "cut their cloth" to match their income. We don't all get to live where and how we want, this is a fact of life some people would live beside or even where they grew up but they can't because either (a) they can't afford to or (b) there is no available properties.

Well the land is priced by the landowner according to what someone will pay - supply and demand (Bit like a BMW is more expensive than a toyota - but they are both cars), pretty basic universal concept that underpins any kind of non communist market.

House prices vary due to proximity, to schools, amenities, transport, parks, criminality and so on and so on. Same in every city and town in the nation and world.

Short-Medium term solution:
    - Long term rental rules enforced to provide stability in renting.
    - Increased density in building (higher we go)
    - Better public transport to orbital locations reducing commute times and stress (Train infrastructure - higher speed)

I'm sure there are loads of potential others but the idea of land prices being controlled, building costs reducing (make workers take less pay and developers develop for no profit) just isn't going to happen.

Then the only other move is tax payers subsidizing house purchase which is a mental concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In Dublin and surrounding areas and probably other urban areas planning is a big obstacle and to a lesser extent ideology, we are also a high-wage economy.

People are also not just buying a home a lot of other considerations come into it, lifestyle in the broadest sense and things like coastal locating good schools, etc do have an enormous effect on prices, it's not just the cost of the home. Even if working from home took off completely you will still have individuals who only want to live in a few areas.

Not just an Irish problem I had to send a package to a business in California out of curiosity I looked the place up the median cost of a house was 2.5 Million.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Can someone rent a house from a private landlord and then rent out extra rooms under the rent-a-room scheme in a house they don't own?

Is that allowed under the terms of the scheme?

It is allowed have a look at the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

An absolute disgrace- 80% of new build estates being bought by foreign investors

Why dont you make an offer for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Central Bank restrictions are severely stopping a lot of couples from buying.
    I understand why lending should be monitored to avoid excesses of the Celtic Tiger era. However couples can prove that they have the ability to pay rents of 1800 a month. They would be well able to service a mortgage over 25/30 years.
    Much of the Celtic tiger excesses were due to remortgaging to buy investment property home and abroad. I often wonder how many one property mortgages caused problems

Edgware wrote: »
    Central Bank restrictions are severely stopping a lot of couples from buying.
    I understand why lending should be monitored to avoid excesses of the Celtic Tiger era. However couples can prove that they have the ability to pay rents of 1800 a month. They would be well able to service a mortgage over 25/30 years

While on the face it is a straight forward swap, I always understood that it would be a duty of care to consider change in circumstances when dishing out 100's of 1000's of euros.

Prime example - that couple then have 2 kids or one loses work due to work closure or illness.

I do agree the rules are too stringent but its really not just a swap rent when young for a mortgage payment. It is a 20-30 year commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Well, I got a reply of sorts from my local FF TD, about when viewings will be happening again. He said he raised this with the Minister for Justice (it's her decision about when viewings can happen, not the Minister for Housing) in February, and attached the transcript.

To summarise:

"Blah blah blah blah blah this is why viewings are banned, blah blah blah blah".

That's not what I asked.

Give us a DATE.

Shack in Coolock now at €291k as of this morning, having been listed for €225k five days ago.

Shelga wrote: »
    Well, I got a reply of sorts from my local FF TD, about when viewings will be happening again. He said he raised this with the Minister for Justice (it's her decision about when viewings can happen, not the Minister for Housing) in February, and attached the transcript.

To summarise:

"Blah blah blah blah blah this is why viewings are banned, blah blah blah blah".

That's not what I asked.

Give us a DATE.

Shack in Coolock now at €291k as of this morning, having been listed for €225k five days ago.

Well maybe they do not have a fixed date yet? Given the ongoing vaccine issues it may be hard to commit to a date when they know it cannot be met.

Almost all estate agents i have heard of are showing properties.

Also houses going far above the asking in dublin is very nomal. The main reason is because the houses are put on the market at under value to drum up interest and develop a potential bidding war as people get emotionally attached during the process.

When you see a price, you should first go on the property register and see what similar on the road, or in the area went for. And always assume 20-60k depending on location.

I was involved in (did not win) a bidding war for a house that moved 102k in just over 24hrs. It was valued at prob 80k under its real value so was only 22k up in reality.

Scotland have a different system that helps reduce this i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Also houses going far above the asking in dublin is very nomal.

I've been looking for about 18 months now. I'm telling you, what has been happening since Christmas is about as far from normal as you can get.

I don't believe that this level of frenzied bidding would be happening, if people were allowed to view properties.

And every single estate agent I've contacted has said they are not doing viewings, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've emailed Darragh O'Brien 3 times in 3 months to ask what the plan is to alleviate supply issues, and have heard nothing back, not a single response. The contempt shown to us by government is just incredible.

Has anyone else had any luck in getting responses from the people in the Dail who are supposed to represent us, yet have made this issue worse and worse and worse over the last decade?

I'm at the end of my rope. Considering leaving again, for the second time in a decade. What's the point of trying to live in Dublin, as a single person. Obviously it's a dire situation for couples and families too, it's just so stressful.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-20-st-brendans-terrace-coolock-dublin-5/3174734

This shack of a house, requiring full refurbishment, went up on Saturday (2 days ago) and is already up to €255k. 13% over asking, within 48 hours, without viewings taking place. I hear nothing from government ministers about the situation, still absolutely no clue when viewings will be happening again.

I just hope it somehow gets the slighest bit better in the next 6 months, or I'm off. The panic levels out there are unreal at the moment.

Some waffle daft had describing that house, should have left it at “2 bed house, needs gutting “

I've been looking for about 18 months now. I'm telling you, what has been happening since Christmas is about as far from normal as you can get.

I don't believe that this level of frenzied bidding would be happening, if people were allowed to view properties.

And every single estate agent I've contacted has said they are not doing viewings, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

For a fact, having gone through the process myself during pre covid non lockdown this is the same as i experienced.

I looked for about a year, 132 viewings and 38 bidding wars. Not at all fun but what you see is quite normal from my experience.

During lockdown a friend of mine just got sale agreed on his second viewed property, sure it went 60k over original asking but he had planned for it and expected it. (Edited to add he got to view both by just calling the EA)

Rule of thumb seems to be don't bother viewing anything at the top end of your budget unless you are immune to disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

For a fact, having gone through the process myself during pre covid non lockdown this is the same as i experienced.

I looked for about a year, 132 viewings and 38 bidding wars. Not at all fun but what you see is quite normal from my experience.

During lockdown a friend of mine just got sale agreed on his second viewed property, sure it went 60k over original asking but he had planned for it and expected it. (Edited to add he got to view both by just calling the EA)

Rule of thumb seems to be don't bother viewing anything at the top end of your budget unless you are immune to disappointment.

Thats a good point.
    If you see €350k as the price then think €400k (in Dublin anyway).
    But you could get lucky and a realistic price is set on the house at the start.
    In the commuter belt and beyond they seem to be going at asking or below for the most part.

Some waffle daft had describing that house, should have left it at “2 bed house, needs gutting “

With boundary issues out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

To summarise:

That's not what I asked.

Give us a DATE.

I would never have guessed it was the Minister for Justice who has responsibility for this, any idea why? It surely HAS to be May, that is when they said the "remainder of construction" can be opened.

I agree it's a mess and it is not just the fact that we can't view houses, it is the fact that this restriction is also curtailing supply and thus pushing up prices. If supply was normal but we couldn't view houses it wouldn't be as big a deal, it would still be mad but not as bad. We rang to enquire about a house the other day and were told it was sale agreed (10%/50K over asking) but would we be "ready to go on it" if the sale fell through. We haven't even seen the property and the agent wants to know if we are "ready to go"!? Not to mention the fact its 50k over asking. Totally disillusioned here. No viewings being offered to us in Dublin.

This level of bids over asking is not normal and is a consequence of the lack of supply, which is a result of restrictions, and around and around we go in a panic until something changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why dont you make an offer for them?

I’d be happy if I could afford to buy just one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’d be happy if I could afford to buy just one :)

They can, they have, they will again.

I've emailed Darragh O'Brien 3 times in 3 months to ask what the plan is to alleviate supply issues, and have heard nothing back, not a single response. The contempt shown to us by government is just incredible.

Has anyone else had any luck in getting responses from the people in the Dail who are supposed to represent us, yet have made this issue worse and worse and worse over the last decade?

I'm at the end of my rope. Considering leaving again, for the second time in a decade. What's the point of trying to live in Dublin, as a single person. Obviously it's a dire situation for couples and families too, it's just so stressful.

Stop stressing over it. I live next door to a young couple who are in a similar position to you. I'd much rather be in your position, i.e. free to leave Ireland if things get bad in the next year or so, than tied to Ireland with a huge mortgage, facing into a period of negative equity. I don't understand the obsession that people have with owning property. The majority of people are not going to be able to afford to buy a home. People need to accept that. Every politician in the country is going to devote their time to the pandemic. The housing crisis is on the back-burner for the foreseeable future.

I don't know a single agent who is doing viewings either. The pandemic and the financial uncertainty that awaits us is fueling the frenzied bidding. People are opting to pump their savings into the traditional "sure thing", i.e. bricks and mortar.
    An absolute disgrace- 80% of new build estates being bought by foreign investors

Why so? The developer wants/needs to get the properties sold, and foreign investors are great way to do that. If you had one hundred properties that you needed to sell, with a period of financial uncertainty on the horizon, and someone offered to buy eighty of them from you, what would you do?

Ireland can't do that. Think about the consequences of doing that in the Irish property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Don't blame tds. They are just players in a system created a long time ago. Getting upset by their inability to solve problems is like getting upset at a kid because he cannot control his emotions. We know kids don't have emotional control but we still get stressed and frustrated. Watching tds trying to solve complex problems is even more upsetting because we actually expect them to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is tiger carry on.

The crash will come once the sweeping up of the damage after this pandemic begins in earnest. There will be a "look at where we are now" moment. I wouldnt be too worried

The crash will come once the sweeping up of the damage after this pandemic begins in earnest. There will be a "look at where we are now" moment. I wouldnt be too worried

The KBC exit should set off alarm bells. It is very, very bad news for banking and the consumer. KBC are smart enough to see trouble on the horizon, and the BoI offer is great news for them. Champagne corks popped in both banks when that offer came through, I'd say. BoI have nothing to lose. If they get into trouble, the government, via the tax payer, is going to save them. The OP is in a good position, as I said in my previous post. Negative equity won't be coming his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

KBH2020 wrote: »
    I would never have guessed it was the Minister for Justice who has responsibility for this, any idea why? It surely HAS to be May, that is when they said the "remainder of construction" can be opened.

I agree it's a mess and it is not just the fact that we can't view houses, it is the fact that this restriction is also curtailing supply and thus pushing up prices. If supply was normal but we couldn't view houses it wouldn't be as big a deal, it would still be mad but not as bad. We rang to enquire about a house the other day and were told it was sale agreed (10%/50K over asking) but would we be "ready to go on it" if the sale fell through. We haven't even seen the property and the agent wants to know if we are "ready to go"!? Not to mention the fact its 50k over asking. Totally disillusioned here. No viewings being offered to us in Dublin.

This level of bids over asking is not normal and is a consequence of the lack of supply, which is a result of restrictions, and around and around we go in a panic until something changes.

We were viewing houses in 2019, it was fairly common for a house to go 10% over asking, very common actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

TheSheriff wrote: »
    We were viewing houses in 2019, it was fairly common for a house to go 10% over asking, very common actually.

I agree, I started looking in 2019 too and anything decent always went for 10% plus over asking price. Anything that went for asking or slightly under required a good bit of money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Rural dweller here, I'm in a very rural part of Co Limerick, home owner with many years so no dog in this race as such but to give perspective two houses sold near me here in the past three months, a lovely 1970's bungalow which had been updated etc sold for €175,000 with very little to be done to it, a cottage near us sold to couple for €65,000 with potentially another €40,000 to €60,000 to be spent upgrading it, their working on it every weekend having been renting an apartment in Limerick city for €1,000 per month, it's not for every one and if you're willing to accept the restrictions of living rural there are bargains out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement