Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

If Elllume gets authorization from the EU to sell their product in Europe, and Lidl were to subsequently to stock, I think that would be an entirely different prospect, and then stance should change. But until then, the product has little use to the general populace as the majority who will buy the Boson Biotech test will not have symptoms.

So just to be sure these tests only pick up a positive if you have symptoms?

By the time symptoms start, wouldn't someone be better off to get a PCR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chuzzle7 wrote: »

Yes, the one Lidl is selling anyway, they don't reference what is the PPV (predictive positive value) for asymptomatics presumably because it wasn't included as part of the product design trials or because it's quite low.

Yes, especially considering it is free to do so and turnaround time is 24hrs max.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I can tell you from real world experience that having used Antigen tests regularly in a specific residential setting (boarding school) that many outbreaks have been prevented using them.
    They are very good at picking up infections in the presymptomatic and early symptomatic phase.

They should have been usen last year in care homes and hospitals as it would have prevented many deaths in my mind.

Nolan calling them snake oil is being an absolute ignoramos.

I can tell you from real world experience that having used Antigen tests regularly in a specific residential setting (boarding school) that many outbreaks have been prevented using them.
    They are very good at picking up infections in the presymptomatic and early symptomatic phase.

They should have been usen last year in care homes and hospitals as it would have prevented many deaths in my mind.

Nolan calling them snake oil is being an absolute ignoramos.

I picked up a box regardless because I am worried I won't be named as a close contact in work. It won't change my behaviour because these alone won't keep me safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I picked up a box regardless because I am worried I won't be named as a close contact in work. It won't change my behaviour because these alone won't keep me safe.

So if they won't keep you safe, why buy them?

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So if they won't keep you safe, why buy them?

Staying away from others, from crowds, wearing masks make me safe. These tests will only tell me if I have covid or not. That won't keep me safe. But I keep others safe if I have a positive and isolate.

Mina has followed up on his replies to Nolan to provide proof that Antigen tests are more effective on showing up infections individuals than PCR test.
    They have a higher sensitivity to infectious ness.

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1391634464326000647?s=21

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1391635347315036160?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

and just like that
    Covid-19: Government to promote use of antigen tests as an ‘extra safety measure’ (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-government-to-promote-use-of-antigen-tests-as-an-extra-safety-measure-1.4560293

Aldi specials for next week, kids play pool and a 10 pack of Ivermectin.

and just like that
    Covid-19: Government to promote use of antigen tests as an ‘extra safety measure’ (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-government-to-promote-use-of-antigen-tests-as-an-extra-safety-measure-1.4560293

What would this mean for workplaces? Surely they should be testing all staff with these now. Or is it a case of letting businesses do whatever they want?

That would be a rcommendation.
    In Germany Employers are obliged to provide regular antigen tests where the employee would be in a role where they would benefit from them.

https://www.haufe.de/personal/arbeitsrecht/pflicht-zu-coronatests-in-unternehmen_76_539438.html
    German Text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

and just like that

So embarrassing for NPHET and Nolan

CMO was just on RTE radio spouting nonsense about super spreader events because Antigen tests only catch 50% of infections.

This tweet by Mina dispels that as a lie, he is either stupid or wilfully ignorant

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1391634464326000647

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CMO was just on RTE radio spouting nonsense about super spreader events because Antigen tests only catch 50% of infections.

This tweet by Mina dispels that as a lie, he is either stupid or wilfully ignorant

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1391634464326000647
    Tweets are preening egos at best. In the actual article he echoes the assertion that they can be useful in controlled situations and are not to be used like a thermometer. The CMO has said the same and it's the false negative or not detected cases that are the problem with them. He is trying to head people off from thinking all is well because they show up negative.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Tweets are preening egos at best. In the actual article he echoes the assertion that they can be useful in controlled situations and are not to be used like a thermometer. The CMO has said the same and it's the false negative or not detected cases that are the problem with them. He is trying to head people off from thinking all is well because they show up negative.

You miss the whole point in the article about how the so called 'false negatives' are actually no longer infectious or able to spread the disease.
    Antigen test only show positive results during the infectious stage.
    That's on average 4-8 days in infectious individuals (hence the 10 day quarantine for Symptomatic people) where as the PCR can continue to show up positive for weeks and months after infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You miss the whole point in the article about how the so called 'false negatives' are actually no longer infectious or able to spread the disease.
    Antigen test only show positive results during the infectious stage.
    That's on average 4-8 days in infectious individuals (hence the 10 day quarantine for Symptomatic people) where as the PCR can continue to show up positive for weeks and months after infection.
    You clearly missed the bit where they can be used in conjunction with PCR and as others have commented, used by people who know what they are doing, not Darren and Aisling before a night out.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You clearly missed the bit where they can be used in conjunction with PCR and as others have commented, used by people who know what they are doing, not Darren and Aisling before a night out.

Yes, use the PCR to confirm the positive.
    In almost 100% of cases of a positive antigen the PCR will also turn up positive (hence the 100% specificity).

The problem is that the PCR on it's own (used in asymptomatic people) will show up too many false positives.

I agree the tests should be used in conjunction.
    For example after a PCR positive you can use an antigen to show if you are still infectious, no point using another PCR 10 days after symptoms because it will still show up positive.

Darren and Aisling will be having their night out regardless. Darren and Aisling are not likely to buy or use these tests anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I travelled back to ire on the 5th may early morning flight so must self quarrantine 14 days or after day 5 pcr test if neg good to go so i have done the latter this morning I get the not detected.
    This evening I have got a message from HSE saying i have being in close contact with a variant of concern wtf I have self quarrantined as required and tested neg.
    As their is no date on the contact but it implies I start another 14day from today....
    Question did the walkin centre yesterday trigger something i did explain i was having the test after travel lost...
    No symptoms now into day 7 after travel

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Question did the walkin centre yesterday trigger something

Possibly or could be down to slow contact tracing on your flight. Are they able to tell you in what location you met the variant of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here in Brandenburg, Germany (and most of not all the other states) we have to test our kids twice a week with a rapid antigen test as supplied by the school and sign a declaration that we have done so. They are no different from the ones in the supermarket (though the Lidl 5 pack one is only €19 here but whatever).

Used in isolation they bring some benefit. Used en masse they bring huge benefits IMO. We feel much more comfortable with sending the kids to school knowing that (most) of the parents are also testing their kids.

We keep some tests on hand here to use before anyone visits (a single person not including children from another household can visit another household). We are expecting my missus' sister and son tomorrow. We'll all test ourselves beforehand and can be reasonably confident that none of us are infectious using these tests.

Possibly or could be down to slow contact tracing on your flight. Are they able to tell you in what location you met the variant of concern.

No infomation on date or location just warning to isolale imediately as it is a strain of concern and they will arrange a free test.

The previous text 4 hours before was my "not detected" result taken five days after my flight.

• Advertisement

agoodpunt wrote: »
    No infomation on date or location just warning to isolale imediately as it is a strain of concern and they will arrange a free test.

The previous text 4 hours before was my "not detected" result taken five days after my flight.

So the odds are they're claiming you came in contact with the variant of concern in the testing center now they want you to go back to the testing center for another test and restrict your movements for another 14 days.
    There can't be a lot of people you could be deemed a close contact of, are you able to figure it out, make a decision then on what to do with the "advice'.
    Your a prime example of why antigen tests are useful in allowing people to carry on with their life quickly hopefully they'll be allowed in the green cert.

So the odds are they're claiming you came in contact with the variant of concern in the testing center now they want you to go back to the testing center for another test and restrict your movements for another 14 days.
    There can't be a lot of people you could be deemed a close contact of, are you able to figure it out, make a decision then on what to do with the "advice'.
    Your a prime example of why antigen tests are useful in allowing people to carry on with their life quickly hopefully they'll be allowed in the green cert.

Just rang HSE they are working on the case but it was the plane am 5th may and they will get back to me later.

I was in the 1st row all to myself on window seat behind was a spare crew captain + first officer masked 100% of the time will update so its 14 days or 10 with test from my 5 days dosent apply because of the strain did c an a young Indian couple with child not sure if this is the source

Had the call from tracing their where several positives on the plane with the strain of concern so i will be tested again sat and isolate till then

So they change the advice based on an assumption this new strain isn't as detectable with a pcr test they never fail to astound me.
    Was it a flight from India?

So they change the advice based on an assumption this new strain isn't as detectable with a pcr test they never fail to astound me.
    Was it a flight from India?

It was Ams to dub but as its a hub airport it can be from anywhere,

The PCR must have detected it before they contacted me so I would say they are erring on the side of caution I will test again sat all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know what the current waiting times for results after Covid testing are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone know what the current waiting times for results after Covid testing are?

24hrs

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

felt 100% yesterday, but last night before bed developed a tiny tickle in my throat.

didnt sleep a wink last night due to having a high tempreature.

did two lidl tests this morning and both showing positive so currently waiting for the doctors surgery to open so i can ring them.

how on earth ive got this ill never know. Im so bloody cautious, mask anywhere i go, havent seen my friends in over a year.

im absolutely livid that i appear to be falling at the final hurdle......

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

felt 100% yesterday, but last night before bed developed a tiny tickle in my throat.

didnt sleep a wink last night due to having a high tempreature.

did two lidl tests this morning and both showing positive so currently waiting for the doctors surgery to open so i can ring them.

how on earth ive got this ill never know. Im so bloody cautious, mask anywhere i go, havent seen my friends in over a year.

im absolutely livid that i appear to be falling at the final hurdle......

That's really bad luck, although anecdotally it's a common enough story, the not being able to figure out how you got it. That's what drove me to switch to double-masking with valved FFP3 and a cloth mask after Christmas.

On the upside you should be "done and dusted" in a couple of weeks! ;)

Good luck with the recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lumen wrote: »
    That's really bad luck, although anecdotally it's a common enough story, the not being able to figure out how you got it. That's what drove me to switch to double-masking with valved FFP3 and a cloth mask after Christmas.

On the upside you should be "done and dusted" in a couple of weeks! ;)

Good luck with the recovery!

more than likely, just need to navigate the next few weeks with a 2 and 5 year old that cant leave the house :eek:

• Advertisement

How can you trust anything the Government says medically related when you've this kind of nonsense coming from the Minister of Health, we've gone from Houlihan and his 50% effective which was a lie to Donnelly claiming 3%, and we're not in the middle of a propaganda war:confused:

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1392812766696771586?s=20

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1393063390667546624?s=20

Advertisement