Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Times should be ashamed of themselves printing such propaganda, no doubt it was penned by AOC himself, those 62 studies they referred to were debunked on the Pat Kenny show by Michael Mina the Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If they're good enough for schools, workplaces, airports, they're good enough for taking an extra precaution if your going to a meet up with friends where there may be an at risk person.

Unfortunately the ones bought over the counter are not. The majority of Antigen tests (including the Lidl one) are not designed to be used for those without symptoms. So no good if you're feeling fine but want to see whether you should meet up with friends etc.

The ones being recommended for testing both symptomatic and non symptomatic people in specific setting are different in that they are done or supervised by trained professional staff.

These are Germany's regulations with regard to antigen testing for travel purposes.
    Testing must have been conducted or supervised in the Federal Republic of Germany or abroad by a service provider pursuant to section 6 (1) of the Coronavirus Testing Ordinance (in German) (Coronavirus-Testverordnung) or in the context of company-based testing for the purpose of occupational health and safety by staff who have the required training, knowledge and experience or must have been conducted or supervised abroad by an entity authorised to do so under the law of the country concerned.

The third party must also verify and confirm the identity of the tested person with official photo identification. The proof of testing must indicate what date the test was taken as well as the type of test carried out.

Your not correct there, the tests are the same, the news talk podcast is worth a listen to nearly every argument dismissing them as ineffective was covered.
    There's absolutely no reason a person can't self test and get an accurate result.
    I can understand in places like airports etc as they want control but that's all it's really about control.

Pat asked all the right questions, podcast is here https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/the-case-for-rolling-out-widespread-antigen-testing

Your not correct there, the tests are the same, the news talk podcast is worth a listen to nearly every argument dismissing them as ineffective was covered. There's absolutely no reason a person can't self test and get an accurate result.
    I can understand in places like airports etc as they want control but that's all it's really about control. Pat asked all the right questions, podcast is here https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/the-case-for-rolling-out-widespread-antigen-testing

Newstalk?

Antigen tests are not all the same.

The majority of Antigen tests are only of use if you are symptomatic / have a high viral load and are best suited for those infected within the first seven days of symptom onset

http://m.bosonbio.com/ivd-rapid-test-kits/infectious-diseases-test-kits/rapid-sars-cov-2-antigen-test-card.html

The majority of antigen test won’t confirm if a person without symptoms / low viral load has Covid-19 as these tests rely on a high viral load to identify presence of Covid-19

So they are of no little use if you want to go meet your buddy

A small number of Antigen tests such as the ELLUME test used in the US can be used on both symptomatic and asymptomatic people.
    The Ellume COVID-19 Home Test is an over-the-counter, rapid self-test which detects SARS-CoV-2 antigen. The test is suitable for ages 2+ years and will be available for non-prescription use in the U.S*. It enables individuals, with and without symptoms, to test for COVID-19 infection in 15 minutes, anywhere.

https://www.ellumehealth.com/covid19-response/

Did you listen to it, doesn't sound like you did. Are you questioning the source as incorrect?

• Advertisement

Did you listen to it, doesn't sound like you did. Are you questioning the source as incorrect?

So newstalk is "the source"? But which bit of the podcast exactly are you referring to?

Looks like you're misinterpreting what is said about specific antigen tests tbh

Let's use original sources not what might have been said on the radio ...

Fact. Not all atigen tests are the same

Fact. The majority of antigen tests require high viral loads for an accurate result

All that means is that an antigen test (such as the Boson Antigen test) can't confirm if a person without symptoms has Covid-19 as these tests rely on a high viral load to identify presence of Covid-19. 

And here's the detail from the manufacturer of the Boson Antigen tests. (The ones sold by lidl - so we're talking like for like)
    Where they specify that the tests are best used by "individuals suspected of COVID-19 ... within the first seven days of symptom onset. Rapid SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Test Card can not be used as the basis to diagnose or exclude SARS-CoV-2 infection "

http://m.bosonbio.com/ivd-rapid-test-kits/infectious-diseases-test-kits/rapid-sars-cov-2-antigen-test-card.html

The ELLUME antigen test on the other hand does allow for testing for both symptomatic and asymptomatic infection
    The Ellume COVID-19 Home Test is an over-the-counter, rapid self-test which detects SARS-CoV-2 antigen. The test is suitable for ages 2+ years and will be available for non-prescription use in the U.S*. It enables individuals, with and without symptoms, to test for COVID-19 infection in 15 minutes, anywhere.

https://www.ellumehealth.com/covid19-response/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me approximately how long test results are taking to come back last week and this week? In light of the IT issues should I be expecting a longer than usual wait time? Had result within 30 hours after previous tests.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jk107

Apologies if this has been asked before. Are the test results from voluntary walk in centres valid for international travel? I have a flight to Budapest on Monday evening so a free test would be preferable to a private one. Also does anyone know if these results are delayed recently since the HSE issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

jk107 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before. Are the test results from voluntary walk in centres valid for international travel? I have a flight to Budapest on Monday evening so a free test would be preferable to a private one. Also does anyone know if these results are delayed recently since the HSE issues?

I can't answer the first part of your question, but I had test results within 30 hours earlier this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I need to get a pcr test Monday morning in Sligo for a procedure that I am undergoing next Wednesday in Galway Clinic. What time are the walk in test centres operating on a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd like to know if Lidl have any results of their testing regime. They say they were (antigen) testing all their staff before every shift... I'd like to know how many of them got positive PCR tests after negative antigens and what happened there with their close contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Can anyone confirm if the Wicklow walk-in test centre at Killadreenan Community Testing Centre is open. Heard some reports that it was not, so wanted to confirm before driving down there.
    (Newcastle Hospital)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Can confirm that it is open

How long roughly are tests results taking these days? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

How long roughly are tests results taking these days? Thanks

Tested Thursday 10am - result text received yesterday 6.30pm. Negative thankfully.

There is another viral dose going around at minute. Several colleagues down with same dose - all of us tested negative for Covid.

Thanks toodles, yes my child had a raging temp, sore throat and headache, tested this morning at 9am and has perked up ever since and we are cracking up already, hope there wont be delays with it being the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's situation with Walk-in Test Centres, do they check that you live locally.

What's situation with Walk-in Test Centres, do they check that you live locally.

Sorry additional question if I ring up GP can I get referral even if I don't have symptoms?

Sorry additional question if I ring up GP can I get referral even if I don't have symptoms?

As far as I’m aware (open to correction) due to the HSE hack, the gp referral system is down. Anyone can go for a test at any one of the test centres. The HSE is still arranging appts for schools and workplaces through contact tracing.
    I don’t think it matters if you live in the area. Think they are just glad people are being responsible and getting tested if they have symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 oaie

I just got back from abroad and the citizens information webpage says that I can do a PCR test in a walk-in test center after 5 days of quarantine. If it's negative, I can get out of quarantine earlier.

Did anyone use the walk-in test centers? I'm wondering how long would I need to wait in line because I need to take time off work.

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    As far as I’m aware (open to correction) due to the HSE hack, the gp referral system is down. Anyone can go for a test at any one of the test centres. The HSE is still arranging appts for schools and workplaces through contact tracing.
    I don’t think it matters if you live in the area. Think they are just glad people are being responsible and getting tested if they have symptoms.

Thanks. While I don't have symptoms I am concerned i might have picked it up and want to get test for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have used walk-in centres twice.
    Tallaght mid afternoon took 45-60 mins.
    Crumlin at 11am as it opened took <30 mins.

Depends which is nearest to you and what time.

I was under the impression that arrivals from abroad can book a test through the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Am I missing something here? Why would you need time off work if you are quarantining until a clear test?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oaie

You can book for some centers but not all. The one that's closest to me doesn't have this option. If it's around 45min I could just go there in the morning and be done before I have to be in work.

I need time off cause I work remotely so I can do my job w/o being in an office. Are you saying I can skip work haha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Why would you need time off work if you are quarantining until a clear test?

If you work from home why would you not work?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Anyone else aware of a nasty viral doing the rounds. Loads of kids on my road coughing chesty productive coughs and runny noses. All negative for C19

Anyone else aware of a nasty viral doing the rounds. Loads of kids on my road coughing chesty productive coughs and runny noses. All negative for C19

Yep - everyone in our house. Seems to last 48hrs-ish. Very very similar to Covid but little to no temp accompanying. All of us tested negative for C19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Yep - everyone in our house. Seems to last 48hrs-ish. Very very similar to Covid but little to no temp accompanying. All of us tested negative for C19.

Mine haven't started coughing but one of the smallies had quite a runny nose. No temps or any signs of covid anyway but keeping an eye anyway , cheers! I wonder if all the usual coughs and colds they didn't get in jan/Feb due to lock down are catching up now with us

Advertisement