Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Irish Times reports J & J could be rolled out as soon as next week, providing it gets the go ahead from NIAC. They say it's unclear though if there will be age restrictions.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Irish Times reports J & J could be rolled out as soon as next week, providing it gets the go ahead from NIAC. They say it's unclear though if there will be age restrictions.

I thinks it’s clear that J&J vaccine will be most effective if they start rolling out to males born in 1979 first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Strazdas wrote: »

The article also says "sources believe approval will come to extend the period between Pfizer doses, but only to six weeks, in accordance with its licence."

Regarding the J&J timeline ... NIAC were told by senior officials that the situation is urgent. "Chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan is understood to have said he expected Niac’s advice after the meeting on Thursday and to make recommendations to the Government on Friday."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

I thinks it’s clear that J&J vaccine will be most effective if they start rolling out to males born in 1979 first

Hundred percent agreed! I'll be first in line.

• Advertisement

Any one any experience with having to change appointments for vaccine shots?
    My mam got a text at 7pm yesterday with her appointment at 10am this morning.
    She can't make it, does she go to the back of the queue now or what? It's her first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bubblypop wrote: »
    Any one any experience with having to change appointments for vaccine shots?
    My mam got a text at 7pm yesterday with her appointment at 10am this morning.
    She can't make it, does she go to the back of the queue now or what? It's her first shot.
    Call the HSE number 1850 24 1850 and ask. It opens in 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great to hear 60-64 year old registration opens tomorrow, really hope they can romp through now and get some normality back.

One of my folks registered last week, got a phone call that the hse had assigned them to wrong centre (in another county) and that they'd get an appointment but ignore it and they will get a new one for correct centre in a day or two. Hopefully hear today.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

60-64 covers both my parents so delighted with that!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

GLaDOS wrote: »
    60-64 covers both my parents so delighted with that!

My other half's dad too. Fantastic! That'll both their parents with one shot then 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

pc7 wrote: »
    Great to hear 60-64 year old registration opens tomorrow, really hope they can romp through now and get some normality back.

Just wondering where you saw this info?:)

jellybear wrote: »
    Just wondering where you saw this info?:)

Micheál confirmed it ☺️

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1385111432916832256?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thanks funnydoggy, nothing was coming up for me when I searched :)

That's both my parents and most aunties and uncles sorted. Great news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Any update on the punchestown MVC ? My mother is 68 and hasn’t heard anything yet, none of the neighbours have either, they live in Naas so presume they are waiting for punchestown to open before getting appointments?

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Any update on the punchestown MVC ? My mother is 68 and hasn’t heard anything yet, none of the neighbours have either, they live in Naas so presume they are waiting for punchestown to open before getting appointments?
    Somebody yesterday said April 28 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Micky 32 wrote: »

This from the paper is for me the most important finding:
    Efficacy against Covid-19 involving hospitalization was 93% with regard to onset at least 14 days after administration (2 cases in the vaccine group and 29 in the placebo group) and 100% with regard to onset at least 28 days after administration (no hospitalizations in the vaccine group and 16 in the placebo group).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

Micky 32 wrote: »

So, for the layman, how does J&J compare to AZ in terms of effectiveness ? Leaving aside the obvious benefits of being one dose Vs two doses.

I'd take any of them tomorrow if offered, and I know we won't have a choice, just curious as to which might be viewed as "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Russman wrote: »
    So, for the layman, how does J&J compare to AZ in terms of effectiveness ? Leaving aside the obvious benefits of being one dose Vs two doses.

I'd take any of them tomorrow if offered, and I know we won't have a choice, just curious as to which might be viewed as "better".

Difficult to compare. If I was given the choice I'd rather have mRNA, in the same way that I'd rather own a Ferrari than a Lamborghini.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/02/comparing-the-covid-19-vaccines-developed-by-pfizer-moderna-and-johnson-johnson/

From a practical perspective I'd rather have J&J because I'd be considered fully vaccinated sooner.

Girlfriend got her call for a vaccine for Wednesday! Now herself and her dad will have one soon. Her mother already got her vaccine last week.

Three of the four vulnerable people close to me will have at least one dose very very soon. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

Lumen wrote: »
    Difficult to compare. If I was given the choice I'd rather have mRNA, in the same way that I'd rather own a Ferrari than a Lamborghini.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/02/comparing-the-covid-19-vaccines-developed-by-pfizer-moderna-and-johnson-johnson/

From a practical perspective I'd rather have J&J because I'd be considered fully vaccinated sooner.

Thanks Lumen, that's a really interesting article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The missus is from the North and got the Astrazenica vaccine up there the day before they restricted the age groups. She's now very reticent to get the second jab. I can get her the Pfizer vaccine now through work. Is there any guidelines or data on getting Astrazenica and then Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They do exactly what they say on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

When it comes to comparing the trials it's effectively impossible to compare as the protocols, locations, timing are all quite different. Even the primary endpoint definitions are quite different. The only consistent(-ish) endpoint definition for all is for severe/critical cases. There all of the vaccines seem to be on par with each other.

The real world data from the UK does show that AZ after one dose is slightly more efficacious than Pfizer/BNT after one dose against severe/critical cases.
    Since not enough time has passed since the booster shots, we don't have that data yet after boosters have been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cazale wrote: »
    The missus is from the North and got the Astrazenica vaccine up there the day before they restricted the age groups. She's now very reticent to get the second jab. I can get her the Pfizer vaccine now through work. Is there any guidelines or data on getting Astrazenica and then Pfizer?
    No. Some countries are mixing and matching, but there's no data on it.

The recommendation here would be to get two Pfizer doses, as if she hasn't been vaccinated at all, and not to consider herself fully vaccinated after one Pfizer dose.

There is no danger in doing this, but she can always ask her GP for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Efficacy against Covid-19 involving hospitalization was 93% with regard to onset at least 14 days after administration (2 cases in the vaccine group and 29 in the placebo group) and 100% with regard to onset at least 28 days after administration (no hospitalizations in the vaccine group and 16 in the placebo group).

Exactly , it is was simply 82% efficacious against severe illness the whole time, thats far from a reduction to neglible levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Good to see the portal opening for more tomorrow.

Registered my father on Monday (aged 65) so hopefully should hear something in the next few days

Hmmzis wrote: »

Excellent news. Anyone told the ISAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

funnydoggy wrote: »

Have they completely thrown out their own plan at this stage? What happened to following the plan they have published which states the high risk come after the over (or even parallel) with the obver 65's. I suppose the tweet says they are asking peopel to register, not that stating when thy will be scheduled. Still though.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Have they completely thrown out their own plan at this stage? What happened to following the plan they have published which states the high risk come after the over (or even parallel) with the obver 65's. I suppose the tweet says they are asking peopel to register, not that stating when thy will be scheduled. Still though.
    Ok, that whole Group 1-7 is not part of the portal in any way. They are still ongoing separately in the original HSE categorisation plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sconsey wrote: »
    Are the high risk not being done by GPs only ? I know a few people high risk and waiting for GP appointments.. the age groups getting done in vaccination centres will tip along and get done quicker.
    Still GPs here struggling to finish the over 70s while I know a good few 65-70 who have been done first .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement