Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Mwengwe wrote: »
    My parent is in Group 5 and hasn't been given an appointment, should I be contacting someone? I don't want to be hassling people but it's very frustrating seeing this.

I'm group 4..had cancelled appointment last week..nought since.

Just spent ages on the HSE help line, trying different options..no one could assist as they are it appears only there to take registrations...complete waste of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

No decision on J&J until next week.

titan18 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll accept an expired passport, since I can't renew it.

An expired passport is a valid form of id, just not a valid travel document

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm group 4..had cancelled appointment last week..nought since.

Just spent ages on the HSE help line, trying different options..no one could assist as they are it appears only there to take registrations...complete waste of time..

Was about to try the same thing so thanks for saving me the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

OK so plan B on the queue front:
    - Lines for each slot (i.e. 9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45 and a 5th line for "those who just like standing around"). Show your text message to somebody supervising the queue.
    - Queue changes every hour, i.e. the 9:00 becomes the 10:00, and so on.
    - You queue based on your slot only.

The most ridiculous point yet is "oh the doctors secretary tells me to come early". This is not a meeting with your GP. This is a system which needs to run like clockwork otherwise the whole system is messed up for the whole day just because people can't wait their turn.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they'll accept an expired passport, since I can't renew it.

Assure them that you are still the same person....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

may be up-thread but Vaccine deliveries update posted on the official govt portal https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/2b697-update-on-covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-21-april-2021/

Period Pfizer Moderna AstraZeneca Janssen Total
    To end March 2021 737,100 109,200 340,800 1,187,100
    April 2021
    Week 14 2021 135,720 135,720
    Week 15 2021 136,890 14,400 14,400* 165,690
    Total 1,009,710 109,200 355,200 14,400 * 1,488,510

( these numbers have not been published last few weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Assure them that you are still the same person....

Hopefully i can get a haircut before it then, as they mightn't be too sure otherwise :pac:

Hopefully i can get a haircut before it then, as they mightn't be too sure otherwise :pac:

Sure look, none of us look like our passport photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

OK so plan B on the queue front:
    - Lines for each slot (i.e. 9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45 and a 5th line for "those who just like standing around"). Show your text message to somebody supervising the queue.
    - Queue changes every hour, i.e. the 9:00 becomes the 10:00, and so on.
    - You queue based on your slot only.

The most ridiculous point yet is "oh the doctors secretary tells me to come early". This is not a meeting with your GP. This is a system which needs to run like clockwork otherwise the whole system is messed up for the whole day just because people can't wait their turn.

You might think that's ridiculous but when people's experience is that an appointment time for the HSE is worth nothing, it can't be a surprise when people turn up early cos they're expecting others too and cos there'll be queues. I mean, if you're hearing like on this thread of people queueing for an hour, most people are likely to just turn up early instead of the appointment time then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

minister answering vaccination questions in the dail rn watch here https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/dail-eireann-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

A quick phone call wouldn’t really cause to much hassle for somebody.
    Are others being called in your area?

It's hard to know as I'm a bit of a hermit. I must ask my parent the same question though, good call.

You might think that's ridiculous but when people's experience is that an appointment time for the HSE is worth nothing, it can't be a surprise when people turn up early cos they're expecting others too and cos there'll be queues. I mean, if you're hearing like on this thread of people queueing for an hour, most people are likely to just turn up early instead of the appointment time then.

But in this case, an appointment time IS worth something. It is the only barrier to a completely chaotic vaccination system. Otherwise, sure why shouldn't I turn up at 8am and stand in the queue even though my appointment isn't until 4pm?

I get that an appointment with the HSE can run early/late but that's because a doctor might take more/less time. In this case, they should run like clockwork and people arriving early are just creating chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Getting my first jab tomorrow. Delighted. It will be the AZ.
    I just might have a few beers tomorrow night.

Getting my first jab tomorrow. Delighted. It will be the AZ.
    I just might have a few beers tomorrow night.

Good luck with it.

There was a show on on Tuesday night about your immune system. Apparently, your reaction to vaccine is significantly reduced if you prepare for it by not drinking for a day/two before, drink lots of water in the days before/after, etc.

But, sure where's the fun in that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am in City west and vaccinated at 14:30 !!
    No queue outside , walked straight in and am sitting waiting in observation before I was even due in . Its so organised , so efficient and so calm .
    Delighted !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No queue outside , walked straight in and am sitting waiting in observation before I was even due in . Its so organised , so efficient and so calm .
    Delighted !!

Great to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But in this case, an appointment time IS worth something. It is the only barrier to a completely chaotic vaccination system. Otherwise, sure why shouldn't I turn up at 8am and stand in the queue even though my appointment isn't until 4pm?

I get that an appointment with the HSE can run early/late but that's because a doctor might take more/less time. In this case, they should run like clockwork and people arriving early are just creating chaos.

I don't think anyone is going to have any luck in telling people not to turn up early. Just go and be prepared to stand around for a bit. At citywest (second hand) it was quiet from 12-2, busy at 3pm and then no queue again at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donnelly just said in the Dail that the European Commission have commenced legal proceedings against AstraZeneca over the delivery shortages and that Ireland would be joining the case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

My mother got her first dose of Pfizer today, hearing of more and more people getting first doses which is a real mood lifter now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Donnelly just said in the Dail that the European Commission have commenced legal proceedings against AstraZeneca over the delivery shortages and that Ireland would be joining the case

This sounds like another thing he should have held off mentioning, has there been any mention from the EU about this?

Well after cancelling astrazeneca last week I got a call to go for my vaccine Wednesday, I am delighted, I really thought I would be at the back of the queue.

It will be the Moderna. I will be looking into it but what are the main differences between Pfizer and Moderna?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Delighted !!

Delighted for you. Seems to be more managed there today than yesterday according to a few reports.

Plenty to learn from the first day and putting it into practice

astrofool wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is going to have any luck in telling people not to turn up early. Just go and be prepared to stand around for a bit. At citywest (second hand) it was quiet from 12-2, busy at 3pm and then no queue again at 4pm.

I don't think people going and being their early and standing around is the problem - its the person who arrives for a 4pm appointment and arrives at 3pm and joins the queue, who is the problem. And will be more of a problem as this ramps up as more vaccines become available. And then word will filter out that if you arrive at 2:55 for your 3pm appointment you'll queue for an hour because of these tools, the whole system will just descend into chaos and Joe Duffy's dream scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Well after cancelling astrazeneca last week I got a call to go for my vaccine Wednesday, I am delighted, I really thought I would be at the back of the queue.

It will be the Moderna. I will be looking into it but what are the main differences between Pfizer and Moderna?

Your in a vulnerable cohort, that's not how going to the back of the queue works. There's no back of the queue for vulnerable groups. Your ahead of everyone else for a reason.

Back of the queue applies to everyone else who turns down a vaccine. If my father aged 65 who signed up on the portal turned around and refused AZ he'd be waiting a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Quick question as the portal for 60-64 year olds is due to open

If you've recently had covid can you request a vaccine ? I was told one month .

If you wait one month how do you get one ? Can you apply with other age cohorts even though you will be outside of that age bracket ?

I don't think people going and being their early and standing around is the problem - its the person who arrives for a 4pm appointment and arrives at 3pm and joins the queue, who is the problem. And will be more of a problem as this ramps up as more vaccines become available. And then word will filter out that if you arrive at 2:55 for your 3pm appointment you'll queue for an hour because of these tools, the whole system will just descend into chaos and Joe Duffy's dream scenario.

I'm not disagreeing and that is what will happen :) We're not good at queuing or queue management, we'll still get through the same amount of people just a lot of them will have had to wait a while.

If it is open till 10pm, I would advise going after 8pm regardless of what time your appointment was at (if 8pm suits) if you don't want to queue, either that or turn up at opening time or be prepared to wait a bit.

• Advertisement

Quick question as the portal for 60-64 year olds is due to open

If you've recently had covid can you request a vaccine ? I was told one month .

If you wait one month how do you get one ? Can you apply with other age cohorts even though you will be outside of that age bracket ?

You should be able to sign up at any time, an account can be created independent of vaccine sign up via vaccine.hse.ie or just ring and ask:
    1850 24 1850

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement