Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Maybe it's being asked but there's alot of "Hope" coming out of Donnellys & Leo's mouths about a positive decision re J&J vaccine. If this vacinne is pretty identical to AZ, how is it possible NIAC might allow J&J for over 60"s only, seems very odd albeit no decision until next week (also very odd)

I could be wrong but given the EU now plans legal action against AZ over deliveries, seems to me AZ might just hit back if J&J is seen to be getting preferential review of data.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Is the Moderna effective against the South African Variant? I will be 1000% taking it just looking for a bit more information thank you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

adam240610 wrote: »
    My mother got her first dose of Pfizer today, hearing of more and more people getting first doses which is a real mood lifter now!

Was just about to post the same, sitting here smiling reading all the posts of people and loved ones getting vaccines.

One of my parents just got their text for tomorrow and the other can now register tomorrow, thanks be to god and the giant spagetti monsters in the sky or whatever takes your fancy. But we are damn lucky to live in a time of vaccines and a country that is lucky enough to be getting them.

Fook you Covid! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donnelly just said in the Dail that the European Commission have commenced legal proceedings against AstraZeneca over the delivery shortages and that Ireland would be joining the case
    Well done Stephen... ffs
    https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1385236561944621056?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Please allow me a quick rant.

If the FDA and the EMA have approved J&J (albeit with caveats) why on earth is it taking NIAC until next week to issue their recommendation?

Get on with it!! This is an emergency. Do we actually have a Minister for Health???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Well after cancelling astrazeneca last week I got a call to go for my vaccine Wednesday, I am delighted, I really thought I would be at the back of the queue.

It will be the Moderna. I will be looking into it but what are the main differences between Pfizer and Moderna?

What day last week was cancelled on you?

I was cancelled for Thurs last no word yet on new appointment..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Donnelly loves getting his scoop, only just not as much as he likes his mentions.

I wonder what the next 'I'm no fan of Donnelly but.......' excuse will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope all will be good with the J&J vaccine in terms of younger people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If the FDA and the EMA have approved J&J (albeit with caveats) why on earth is it taking NIAC until next week to issue their recommendation?

Get on with it!! This is an emergency. Do we actually have a Minister for Health???

Very good question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Muppet, another instance of the poor commutation going on at the moment.

What on earth are their advisors paid so much to advise on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Vicxas wrote: »
    Very good question.

Yeah, us irish paddy last at everything

Get on with it if it's approved by higher powers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The EMA have only issued general recommendations. I suspect NIAC are testing the waters with other EU states before deciding what announcement to make : very few countries in Europe have authorised J & J yet.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The EMA have only issued general recommendations. I suspect NIAC are testing the waters with other EU states before deciding what announcement to make : very few countries in Europe have authorised J & J yet.

From the EMA website:

After a thorough evaluation, EMA’s human medicines committee (CHMP) concluded by consensus that the data on the vaccine were robust and met the criteria for efficacy, safety and quality. COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen is the fourth vaccine recommended in the EU for preventing COVID-19.

“With this latest positive opinion, authorities across the European Union will have another option to combat the pandemic and protect the lives and health of their citizens,” said Emer Cooke, EMA’s Executive Director, adding, “this is the first vaccine which can be used as a single dose”.

Ah sure, what's the hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Open to correction but I don't think the FDA pause has been lifted yet.

Also I don't mean to be flippant by saying its only 14k doses but there is just 14k in the country. Wouldn't exactly take long to use them when the decision is made.

It'd be a different story if there was 80 or 90k for example waiting clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

One of my aunties got her vaccine yesterday and my other (her sister) got a call today at 12 and appointment for 1.30. Both Pfizer, both in their 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

astrofool wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing and that is what will happen :) We're not good at queuing or queue management, we'll still get through the same amount of people just a lot of them will have had to wait a while.

At least we have some form of queue etiquette in Ireland. Anyone who's tried to queue for the likes of public transport, theme parks, waterslides etc in some Continental European countries will know it's an absolute free for all!:)

Zipppy wrote: »
    What day last week was cancelled on you?

I was cancelled for Thurs last no word yet on new appointment..

Sorry I cancelled myself it was for the 9th of April but she said she was adding more people who had been cancelled because of the age restriction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Corholio wrote: »
    Donnelly loves getting his scoop, only just not as much as he likes his mentions.

I wonder what the next 'I'm no fan of Donnelly but.......' excuse will be.

As Michael Ring (I'm no fan) so aptly put it a his parliamentary party meeting yesterday, Donnelly has a terrible dose of Foot & Microphone disease, he also had a dig at Simon Harris"s urge to speak at the sight of a microphone :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Delighted for you. Seems to be more managed there today than yesterday according to a few reports.

Plenty to learn from the first day and putting it into practice

I was never a big fan of the HSE organisation . But hats off to them in City West . It is incredibly organised , stewards everywhere , queue area well marked and distanced . Registration is calm and efficient and again stewards everywhere to guide you . The booths are spotless with hand sanitizers at every corner , the vaccinators are reassuring and kind
    They guide you to the observation area , again well organised and spaced with two nurses looking after everyone
    I was very impressed today . Well done to all there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah, us irish paddy last at everything

Get on with it if it's approved by higher powers

So we're the only country not using J&J are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Open to correction but I don't think the FDA pause has been lifted yet.

Also I don't mean to be flippant by saying its only 14k doses but there is just 14k in the country. Wouldn't exactly take long to use them when the decision is made.

It'd be a different story if there was 80 or 90k for example waiting clearance.

Agreed, with so few supplies in the country at the moment they are better off taking a few extra days to get this right, than having to back track in few weeks time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The Minister for Health isn't on NIAC. If they tell him they need more time or information to make their decision, then there's nothing he can do; he's not the expert here.

I'm not sure if it would even be legal for him to "force" an earlier decision. Would certainly open the State up to all sorts of additional liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Washington Post reporting FDA likely to give unrestricted approval of J&J with additional side effect warning
    https://twitter.com/bylenasun/status/1385245214688821249?s=20

hynesie08 wrote: »

Not really the point. I understand caution but just because others are slow, we don't necessarily have to be, do we?

We are now well below the EU average of vaccinations per 100000.

Amirani wrote: »
    The Minister for Health isn't on NIAC. If they tell him they need more time or information to make their decision, then there's nothing he can do; he's not the expert here.

I'm not sure if it would even be legal for him to "force" an earlier decision. Would certainly open the State up to all sorts of additional liability.

We need to be asking why they are taking so long. It's not a secret.

Nothing like the sense of dynamism and urgency we see in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

hynesie08 wrote: »

No. Quite the contrary. The USA and much of Europe still on pause.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not really the point. I understand caution but just because others are slow, we don't necessarily have to be, do we?
    The volume we have means it's not going to make a big difference. Main thing is they're ready to go as soon as approval is given, whatever form that is.
    We're also above the EU average for fully vaccinated, which shows we're focused a little differently. I'd prefer the first dose approach and spreading the second but at least acknowledge the full dosage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I guess that they just don't want to jump the gun - announce they are restricting it to over 60s, only to find that other EU states have authorised it for all ages. Or vice versa, open it to all ages only to find that most other countries have age restrictions on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

ixoy wrote: »
    The volume we have means it's not going to make a big difference. Main thing is they're ready to go as soon as approval is given, whatever form that is.

We're also above the EU average for fully vaccinated, which shows we're focused a little differently. I'd prefer the first dose approach and spreading the second but at least acknowledge the full dosage.

There's different dosing schedules, which are one thing, but we are falling behind on the most basic metric of all, which is doses in arms. Supply is largely out of the governments hands, but managing logistics is not and we are showing signs of faltering relative to countries with the same supply constraints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement