Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's different dosing schedules, which are one thing, but we are falling behind on the most basic metric of all, which is doses in arms. Supply is largely out of the governments hands, but managing logistics is not and we are showing signs of faltering relative to countries with the same supply constraints.

How many of each vaccine do you want us to keep in reserve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

We need to be asking why they are taking so long. It's not a secret.

Nothing like the sense of dynamism and urgency we see in the UK.

The report said that members of NIAC are involved in meetings with international colleagues about the vaccine and they were awaiting the outcome of these meeting before issuing their guidance. Seems eminently sensible I think, no ?

You could just as easily replace "dynamism and urgency" with reckless abandon when it comes to the UK's approach of ignoring the manufacturer's guidelines about the Pfizer jab. They took a gamble, hopefully it works but it was still a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Turtwig wrote: »

We should ask Estonia, Lithuania, Austria and Spain how many they are keeping in reserve, because at the moment, they're smoking us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Open to correction but I don't think the FDA pause has been lifted yet.

Also I don't mean to be flippant by saying its only 14k doses but there is just 14k in the country. Wouldn't exactly take long to use them when the decision is made.

It'd be a different story if there was 80 or 90k for example waiting clearance.

Also wasn't it J&J that paused it themselves I understood? Until the reviews had been carried out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭josip

Turtwig wrote: »

10,000 Pfizer and at least a million AZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Also wasn't it J&J that paused it themselves I understood? Until the reviews had been carried out?

FDA and CDC paused the administration but yeah J&J paused deliveries.

Pretty sure they said they'll resume the delvieries in the coming days but even still they aren't delivering big numbers

Russman wrote: »
    The report said that members of NIAC are involved in meetings with international colleagues about the vaccine and they were awaiting the outcome of these meeting before issuing their guidance. Seems eminently sensible I think, no ?

You could just as easily replace "dynamism and urgency" with reckless abandon when it comes to the UK's approach of ignoring the manufacturer's guidelines about the Pfizer jab. They took a gamble, hopefully it works but it was still a gamble.

The UK recognised the urgency of the situation and took an educated gamble based on the data available, a decision they have been completely vindicated on. In Ireland we have to wait until an EU rep makes the decision for us.

Why in the world have we not extended the dosing schedules for the Pfizer vaccine yet? It's the obviously correct decision, which would save lives, but it hasn't happened for some bizarre reason.

Why are we giving Pfizer vaccines to 60 - 69 year olds, when there are 70+ year olds who are yet to receive a first dose and when we can only use our AZ allocation on that group?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I was never a big fan of the HSE organisation . But hats off to them in City West . It is incredibly organised , stewards everywhere , queue area well marked and distanced . Registration is calm and efficient and again stewards everywhere to guide you . The booths are spotless with hand sanitizers at every corner , the vaccinators are reassuring and kind
    They guide you to the observation area , again well organised and spaced with two nurses looking after everyone
    I was very impressed today . Well done to all there

Delighted for you, iamwhoiam!
    Hope you are feeling OK.

My husband who would be group 7 was told yesterday he will be vaccinated on Saturday! Pfizer as high risk by GP.
    We are celebrating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Delighted for you, iamwhoiam!
    Hope you are feeling OK.

My husband who would be group 7 was told yesterday he will be vaccinated on Saturday! Pfizer as high risk by GP.
    We are celebrating :D

Great news ! Its like Christmas morning when you hear !!
    I am fine , have history of anaphylactic shock but not to a vaccine
    They hovvered over me for 40 minutes but all is well !

The UK recognised the urgency of the situation and took an educated gamble based on the data available, a decision they have been completely vindicated on. In Ireland we have to wait until an EU rep makes the decision for us.

Why in the world have we not extended the dosing schedules for the Pfizer vaccine yet? It's the obviously correct decision, which would save lives, but it hasn't happened for some bizarre reason.

Why are we giving Pfizer vaccines to 60 - 69 year olds, when there are 70+ year olds who are yet to receive a first dose and when we can only use our AZ allocation on that group?

First. it is AZ being given to 60 to 69 year olds.
    Second, UK or anyone else don't know yet that it was ' the right decision' to space the doses as they did. That remains to be seen as they have so few with second doses for their population and have to now start catching up there as well and they are worried about variants starting another wave before they can fully vaccinate, same as everywhere else.
    Thirdly. it is not obvious that it is the only decision to space out doses yet and may be only a last resort by adding another fortnight on to the present interval.
    It's very likely that J& J will be approved with a warning by NIAC for most age groups as the risks appear to be only one sixth of the already small AZ risk for CVST and thrombocytopenia.

• Advertisement

Great news ! Its like Christmas morning when you hear !!
    I am fine , have history of anaphylactic shock but not to a vaccine
    They hovvered over me for 40 minutes but all is well !

Yes it has us all very happy here since we heard it!
    Take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Its questionable why we need a decision from NIAC when we already have the EMA. Im also not sure what they can add to the debate on spacing of pfizer vaccine when we have live evidence from our nearest neighbour with 13 times our population of the clear benefits of doing so.

First. it is AZ being given to 60 to 69 year olds.
    Second, UK or anyone else don't know yet that it was ' the right decision' to space the doses as they did. That remains to be seen as they have so few with second doses for their population and have to now start catching up there as well and they are worried about variants starting another wave before they can fully vaccinate, same as everywhere else.
    Thirdly. it is not obvious that it is the only decision to space out doses yet and may be only a last resort by adding another fortnight on to the present interval.
    It's very likely that J& J will be approved with a warning by NIAC for most age groups as the risks appear to be only one sixth of the already small AZ risk for CVST and thrombocytopenia.

Well we have a poster on the last page, saying their relatives are in that age group and got vaccinated with Pfizer, so unless they are lying, what's going on?

Well we have a poster on the last page, saying their relatives are in that age group and got vaccinated with Pfizer, so unless they are lying, what's going on?

They are most likely in the high risk cohort

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Both parents (65 and 66) were vaccinated last week with Pfizer. Just got a call from their GP to come in that day to get it. Neither have underlying conditions so they're obviously still giving it to this age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I have read several reports on these boards and elsewhere over the last couple of weeks of people in their sixties getting Pfizer from their GPs. I don’t think this is an ideal situation to be honest when AZ must be given to over 60s only. But I don’t want to be too critical since I know it is difficult to have a perfect system. The approach in Germany now is that GPs will have access to AZ and only Pfizer will be given in the mass vaccination centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

They are most likely in the high risk cohort

I thought that high risk people in their sixties should still get AZ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

revelman wrote: »
    I have read several reports on these boards and elsewhere over the last couple of weeks of people in their sixties getting Pfizer from their GPs. I don’t think this is an ideal situation to be honest when AZ must be given to over 60s only. But I don’t want to be too critical since I know it is difficult to have a perfect system. The approach in Germany now is that GPs will have access to AZ and only Pfizer will be given in the mass vaccination centres.

It's not ideal. The volume will be relatively low vs. the MVC and the AZ supply has been so patchy it would risk a lot of vulnerable people not being covered while younger groups plough ahead with Pfizer doses.

The other thing that could happen is that NIAC revises the AZ recommendation now that the rare condition and treatment for it is well understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

revelman wrote: »
    I thought that high risk people in their sixties should still get AZ...

I think it was more that they were vaccinated by the GP because they were high risk, and the GP only has Pfizer (or Moderna).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Deenie78

So great to see so many reports of people getting vaccines!
    My mam (75) got her second Pfizer this afternoon - that's her and my Dad (83) both done. The weight and fear that's been lifted is unreal!

• Advertisement

Encouraging news. In case you're wondering Covishield is the Indian name for AstraZeneca.

https://twitter.com/3RakeshMishra/status/1385245798544207875?s=19

High risk are being vaccinated with Pfizer.
    If GP is doing these and some doses going to be left over he may have a few people who are on his books that need vaccination but it is down to clinical judgement.
    Better somebody in their 60s than some random relative and that is acceptable and within HSE guidelines.
    Otherwise AZ for that age group, that is fact,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A good few European countries set to hit 30 shots per 100 by the end of the weekend: Germany, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Estonia, Lithuania and Belgium. We will probably be a week later, we should get there by the 2nd of May. We are by no means the worst but we have fallen significantly behind the pack best performers in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

snotboogie wrote: »
    A good few European countries set to hit 30 shots per 100 by the end of the weekend: Germany, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Estonia, Lithuania and Belgium. We will probably be a week later, we should get there by the 2nd of May. We are by no means the worst but we have fallen significantly behind the pack best performers in the EU.

Is that the adult population or the entire population that those numbers are for. If it the entire population we will always be a few % behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

B2021M wrote: »
    Its questionable why we need a decision from NIAC when we already have the EMA. Im also not sure what they can add to the debate on spacing of pfizer vaccine when we have live evidence from our nearest neighbour with 13 times our population of the clear benefits of doing so.
    Our government will respond to NIAC only and whatever they say just as other EU countries have responded to their respective bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,331 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Deenie78 wrote: »
    So great to see so many reports of people getting vaccines!
    My mam (75) got her second Pfizer this afternoon - that's her and my Dad (83) both done. The weight and fear that's been lifted is unreal!

My mam got 1st dose Pfizer today, father and myself are tomorrow all from our GP

snotboogie wrote: »

I have many friends in Berlin . Friend 71 has a date for mid of June for his first dose
    We are ahead of them for over 70,s

is_that_so wrote: »
    Our government will respond to NIAC only and whatever they say just as other EU countries have responded to their respective bodies.

I understand that and accept it but what additional factors are NIAC taking into account that the EMA didn't? What additional knowledge do they have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

B2021M wrote: »
    I understand that and accept it but what additional factors are NIAC taking into account that the EMA didn't? What additional knowledge do they have?

They are free to demur from the EMA's recommendations. The EMA merely issues advice (and authorises vaccines for general usage)....Ireland is free to introduce its own guidelines for usage.

They wouldn't necessarily be 'disagreeing' with the EMA's expertise, just taking a different course of action.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    They are free to demur from the EMA's recommendations. The EMA merely issues advice (and authorises vaccines for general usage)....Ireland is free to introduce its own guidelines for usage.

They wouldn't necessarily be 'disagreeing' with the EMA's expertise, just taking a different course of action.

Which is fine and understandable in 'normal' times. Im not sure further delays are justified given current circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement