Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

B2021M wrote: »
    I understand that and accept it but what additional factors are NIAC taking into account that the EMA didn't? What additional knowledge do they have?
    The EMA commentary has been very general - benefits outweigh risks. I'm guessing they want to clarify if some age cohorts are disproportionately affected. So it'll either be for everyone or just the over 60s. If it's limited then that 80% by June is off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Russman wrote: »
    The report said that members of NIAC are involved in meetings with international colleagues about the vaccine and they were awaiting the outcome of these meeting before issuing their guidance. Seems eminently sensible I think, no ?

You could just as easily replace "dynamism and urgency" with reckless abandon when it comes to the UK's approach of ignoring the manufacturer's guidelines about the Pfizer jab. They took a gamble, hopefully it works but it was still a gamble.

What is it about us Irish that we seem compelled to sneer at the British? I am sure they are not too bothered as they continue to be miles ahead of us on the road to recovery.
    Yes, their response has been dynamic and urgent. They see this as a national emergency and have responded accordingly.
    Meanwhile we get nightly updates from committees and diktats about what freedoms we will be 'allowed'.

What is it about us Irish that we seem compelled to sneer at the British? I am sure they are not too bothered as they continue to be miles ahead of us on the road to recovery.
    Yes, their response has been dynamic and urgent. They see this as a national emergency and have responded accordingly.
    Meanwhile we get nightly updates from committees and diktats about what freedoms we will be 'allowed'.
    In vaccinations Britain has done very well, in other things very poorly. As for us it's just different strategies at work and we like glacial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looks like the government are expecting an age 50 restriction for J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Totally agree. A country that fought two world wars will always have a better response to a crisis. They have a different psyche and approach to risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

is_that_so wrote: »
    In vaccinations Britain has done very well, in other things very poorly. As for us it's just different strategies at work and we like glacial.

This thread is discussing vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Which is fine and understandable in 'normal' times. Im not sure further delays are justified given current circumstances.

Absolutely not. The about 1 in a million chance of getting a blood clot from this vaccine is a hell of a lot lower than the chances of getting blood clots from COVID-19. Isolating the use of this and wasting hundreds of thousands of vaccines would be absolutely ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Gael23 wrote: »

How can they say Astra for >60 but j&J >50 if they use the same method of delivery and both have the same side effect, does it come down to politics??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How can they say Astra for >60 but j&J >50 if they use the same method of delivery and both have the same side effect, does it come down to politics??

Comes down to common sense. J&J will be useless to us if restricted to over 60

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Single dose makes risk much lower

• Advertisement

This thread is discussing vaccines.
    Yeah but you can't just dismiss the other stuff. On vaccines they took a gamble which seems to have worked out very well for them. TBH I'd hold off on too much praise for anyone until we get to large numbers vaccinated, like 70%+.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lumen wrote: »
    Single dose makes risk much lower

That's assumimg that the risk is dose dependent which it may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

I’m not for a second sneering at the British. I honestly hope it works out for them, but at the same time really don’t give a hoot what they do one way or the other. I could just as easily ask what is about us Irish that we always have to compare ourselves to the British for ?

I don’t think miles ahead of us either, there won’t be a whole lot in it by the time we’re all fully vaccinated, a few weeks either way.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. The about 1 in a million chance of getting a blood clot from this vaccine is a hell of a lot lower than the chances of getting blood clots from COVID-19. Isolating the use of this and wasting hundreds of thousands of vaccines would be absolutely ludicrous.

I agree! They either need to start using it now or make a decision quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

My guess is there are purposely delaying the announcement on the J&J vaccine because it will appear that their extra thorough for pr reasons, when in reality there is only 15k doses in the country and it will have no big effect on the roll out in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Has anyone had the Moderna vaccine? Is it as good as Pfizer? I know that it’s MNRA as is Pfizer. It’s rarely mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

If this was the case, I wonder would they hold off doing the 50s until the J&J arrives in country, or plow on through them with the mRNA shots ? And potentially have a good portion of them done before the big deliveries of J&J arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

My guess is there are purposely delaying the announcement on the J&J vaccine because it will appear that their extra thorough for pr reasons, when in reality there is only 15k doses in the country and it will have no big effect on the roll out in the near future.

We'll have 40k doses of J&J in total by the week of the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Russman wrote: »
    I’m not for a second sneering at the British. I honestly hope it works out for them, but at the same time really don’t give a hoot what they do one way or the other. I could just as easily ask what is about us Irish that we always have to compare ourselves to the British for ?

I don’t think miles ahead of us either, there won’t be a whole lot in it by the time we’re all fully vaccinated, a few weeks either way.

A few weeks is huge.

NIAC should pull the finger out and for once act with a bit of haste.

Well done to our nearest neighbours. It's great to see them being so competent with their roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Where are you seeing this ?

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this ?
    I saw it on breaking news - a comment from Eamonn Ryan.

Here too.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0422/1211323-covid-ireland/

Has anyone had the Moderna vaccine? Is it as good as Pfizer? I know that it’s MNRA as is Pfizer. It’s rarely mentioned?

I am trying to find this out too, I have been researching the past few hours but can't seem to getuch info on it. Is there much difference between it and Pfizer does anyone know, is the gap 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Totally agree. A country that fought two world wars will always have a better response to a crisis. They have a different psyche and approach to risk.

Certainly gung ho!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am trying to find this out too, I have been researching the past few hours but can't seem to getuch info on it. Is there much difference between it and Pfizer does anyone know, is the gap 4 weeks?

Gap is 4 weeks also I think

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Certainly gung ho!:pac:

Maybe but there is a happy medium!

Yes, 4 weeks for each now. Have you seen this link? It's pretty clear.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My mother got it, and had no side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The societal effects of restricting these vaccines need to be considered. This is ****ing madness

AdamD wrote: »
    The societal effects of restricting these vaccines need to be considered. This is ****ing madness
    To an extent but they do know that another mRNA vaccine , CureVac, will be here soon enough and they prefer those mRNA options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

is_that_so wrote: »
    To an extent but they do know that another mRNA vaccine , CureVac, will be here soon enough and they prefer those mRNA options.

If all goes well when could we see that in Ireland? End of the summer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement