Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Zipppy wrote: »
    Daughter in Canada, 26, registered for vaccine today.
    This country is a shambles run by gombeens...

Dont have to go that far. Work colleagues who are from the North, mid-thirties now eligible to register for vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Zipppy wrote: »
    Daughter in Canada, 26, registered for vaccine today.
    This country is a shambles run by gombeens...

Not sure what way they're doing the age cohorts in Canada, but it doesn't sound like they are doing it similar to us : about 25% of people there have received a first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Telegraph in England saying pandemic is over and Covid is now endemic. We are only a few weeks away from this!

https://twitter.com/robohanrahan/status/1385343504352784384?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not sure what way they're doing the age cohorts in Canada, but it doesn't sound like they are doing it similar to us : about 25% of people there have received a first dose.

Yeah I just checked it. Very similar to ourselves. Unless your daughter is in a high risk group that’s a bad sign for their rollout. Should be doing older people first where supplies are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

B2021M wrote: »
    Totally agree. A country that fought two world wars will always have a better response to a crisis. They have a different psyche and approach to risk.

Sorry but that's a weird way of looking at things and doesn't stand up to truth. I know this is the vaccine thread but the UK had a playbook for dealing with pandemics and threw it out to their detriment, while Singapore* adopted their strategy with brilliant results. The UK's approach to risk has a been a haphazard one throughout.

*previously mentioned Taiwan, in original post, have edited, it was actually Singapore that copied UK's Pandemic Playbook, but point still stands.
    https://www.researchprofessionalnews.com/rr-news-uk-politics-2020-4-uk-was-complacent-over-pandemic-risks-review-lead-says/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

I see the portal is now updated to allow the 60 to 64 year olds to register.

My mother registered last Friday and has an appointment this coming Saturday, and my dad will be eligible to register tomorrow so hopefully they get to him quickly too. Such a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I was actually called and offered a vaccine earlier today (with an appointment next Thursday). I'm 38 and considered vulnerable. Hopefully people will get called or letters or something about appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sparko wrote: »
    I see the portal is now updated to allow the 60 to 64 year olds to register.

My mother registered last Friday and has an appointment this coming Saturday, and my dad will be eligible to register tomorrow so hopefully they get to him quickly too. Such a relief.

Tell yer Ma she was a baby snatcher when she married a younger man... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

Anyone know if the 60 - 64 year old vaccine registration has a date by which they need to be 60. I've a relative who is turning 60 in a couple of months and when I had a look the site seems to ask what the year of birth is. Not sure if further on you have to give exact date of birth. Based on the fact that they are turning 60 soon do you think they can register?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Dont have to go that far. Work colleagues who are from the North, mid-thirties now eligible to register for vaccines.

I think we will catch up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Strazdas wrote: »

Canada are at 29 doses per 100 we are at 25.5. They were far behind us last month and have been consistently hitting 0.6 to 0.8 per 100 vaccinated per day recently. Today we hit 0.4 per 100, which was our best day this week.

We have had no real ramp up this month and are strarting to fall behind other Western nations. France, Germany, Spain and Italy have all had significant increases over the last two weeks and are constantly getting to about 0.5 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 60 - 64 year old vaccine registration has a date by which they need to be 60. I've a relative who is turning 60 in a couple of months and when I had a look the site seems to ask what the year of birth is. Not sure if further on you have to give exact date of birth. Based on the fact that they are turning 60 soon do you think they can register?

It starts off by asking the year of birth but as you go further through the process it requires PPS number and actual date of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

celt262 wrote: »
    I think we will catch up with them.
    Eventually we will as their vaccinations will be complete at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Jumping into this late.

To all of you who have been following this closely, what do you think the approx timescale for a 46 year old Group 7 getting a vaccine?

I know it is impossible to say, but open to guesses. I've been invited to a 70th birthday in July (literally everyone at the party except me will definitely be vaccinated due to age or residing in GB/NI).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

snotboogie wrote: »
    Canada are at 29 doses per 100 we are at 25.5. They were far behind us last month and have been consistently hitting 0.6 to 0.8 per 100 vaccinated per day recently. Today we hit 0.4 per 100, which was our best day this week.

We have had no real ramp up this month and are strarting to fall behind other Western nations. France, Germany, Spain and Italy have all had significant increases over the last two weeks and are constantly getting to about 0.5 per day.

The media need to turn the screw, everyday we need to ask why we are falling behind? What is being done to correct course? When will course be corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Valhallapt wrote: »
    The media need to turn the screw, everyday we need to ask why we are falling behind? What is being done to correct course? When will course be corrected?

We're falling behind because we paused az, we are course correcting by unpausing az for 60+, course will be corrected when az is distributed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Looks like most other EU countries have set the same age restrictions for J&J as they did AZ, which means NIAC will almost certainly follow suit.

So that's basically 600k highly effective single dose vaccines that are all but useless to us now, and the June 80% target will be missed, and I wouldn't hold out hope for July either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Little point comparing to Canada - different supply lines.
    France, Germany, Spain and Italy have all had significant increases over the last two weeks and are constantly getting to about 0.5 per day.
    They have, yes, but before that we were roughly the same and sometimes ahead of them. Allow for fluctuations a little - if the gap continues to widen further and further, then yes it'll be more disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Yeah. I mean the reasons we’re behind target this month are well known and are discussed to death every day on RTÉ. No offence, but the info is all out there.

Assuming the vaccine supply comes through as it’s supposed to over the next two months, we will catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭josip

Elessar wrote: »
    Looks like most other EU countries have set the same age restrictions for J&J as they did AZ, which means NIAC will almost certainly follow suit.

So that's basically 600k highly effective single dose vaccines that are all but useless to us now, and the June 80% target will be missed, and I wouldn't hold out hope for July either.

Have you links for any of those countries?
    I've only read about the Dutch who approved J&J for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Canada has received AZ because the US does not want it. I have a cousin there in her mid 60s who recently received a Pfizer jab in the ordinary rollout and a work colleague in his early 40s who volunteered for AZ and got it long before he otherwise would. In Canada each province is different, but they seem to have pharmacists involved also.

I'm not sure why we should fall behind other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

josip wrote: »
    Have you links for any of those countries?
    I've only read about the Dutch who approved J&J for everyone.

This article has a good summary. Most countries are still deciding. It seems both the Netherlands and Iceland have a lower restriction than for AZ. France went for the same age restriction. I'm still hopeful we can be less conservative with j&j and get going again

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/22/coronavirus-johnson-eu-states-begin-using-single-dose-covid-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

"Britain's medicines regulator on Thursday said there had been 168 major blood clots with low platelets following a dose of AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine, a rate of 7.9 clots per million doses, a jump in incidence from the previous week's figure.

This was up from the 100 cases reported last week, when the overall case incidence was 4.9 per million doses.

The UK’s medicines regulator said the overall case fatality rate was 19 per cent, with 32 deaths reported up to April 14.

The cases, reported through the Yellow Card scheme, occurred in 93 women and 75 men aged from 18 to 93 years old. One was after a second dose.

Of the CVST cases, the average age is 47, while for the other major thromboembolic events the average age is 55."

One case after second vaccine isn't good. With johnson and johnson being only 1 dose I think it gives them more room to lower the age than with Az.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    "Britain's medicines regulator on Thursday said there had been 168 major blood clots with low platelets following a dose of AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine, a rate of 7.9 clots per million doses, a jump in incidence from the previous week's figure.

This was up from the 100 cases reported last week, when the overall case incidence was 4.9 per million doses.

The UK’s medicines regulator said the overall case fatality rate was 19 per cent, with 32 deaths reported up to April 14.

The cases, reported through the Yellow Card scheme, occurred in 93 women and 75 men aged from 18 to 93 years old. One was after a second dose.

Of the CVST cases, the average age is 47, while for the other major thromboembolic events the average age is 55."

One case after second vaccine isn't good. With johnson and johnson being only 1 dose I think it gives them more room to lower the age than with Az.

That's a very big jump - 68 new cases reported in a single week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

By my calculations the world should reach one billion doses administered by Monday. Some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

3DataModem wrote: »
    Jumping into this late.

To all of you who have been following this closely, what do you think the approx timescale for a 46 year old Group 7 getting a vaccine?

I know it is impossible to say, but open to guesses. I've been invited to a 70th birthday in July (literally everyone at the party except me will definitely be vaccinated due to age or residing in GB/NI).

I’m 30, Group 7 and my GP told me yesterday I should be getting it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

NIAC say they are waiting to outcome of "several international meetings" before making a J&J decision.

The biggest such meeting is today. The CDC will make a decision in the US.

The NY Times, citing interviews with FDA members, say that the outcome is likely to be no age restriction but a new warning on the bottle.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1385387954424713217

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Tyrone212 wrote: »

The FT are reporting that the UK might change the age limit on AZ from 30+ to 40+ but scientists there are split. Decision expected next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Good news once again, but you won’t see any of the Irish media report this

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1385480948762955776?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is it possible to hop on a plane and go to America and rock up to a Walgreens and get the J&j jab? I have a social security number from a j1 I did years ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement