Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure if this has been posted but potentially good news from real world data. Not peer reviewed yet.

The chances of becoming infected by Covid fell sharply after a first dose of either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, a UK study has found.

The vaccines worked just as well in the over-75s and those with underlying health conditions, as other people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56844220

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Is it possible to hop on a plane and go to America and rock up to a Walgreens and get the J&j jab? I have a social security number from a j1 I did years ago?

Yeah and spend €2k on mandatory hotel quarantine on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yeah and spend €2k on mandatory hotel quarantine on your return.

Not if you go via the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Is it possible to hop on a plane and go to America and rock up to a Walgreens and get the J&j jab? I have a social security number from a j1 I did years ago?

It’s still suspended there. But you could get Pfizer or moderna if you liked! It’ll only cost you a few grand and a couple of weeks in quarantine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not if you go via the uk

You think they're not catching people transiting through the uk?

You also need an address and an esta.

• Advertisement

Not if you go via the uk

You're still supposed to do the MHQ if you've been in any listed country in the last 14 days.

You're still supposed to do the MHQ if you've been in any listed country in the last 14 days.

But I’d be vaccinated? Take a couple week holiday stateside return fully vaccinated, probably be exempt from MHQ by then

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

But I’d be vaccinated? Take a couple week holiday stateside return fully vaccinated, probably be exempt from MHQ by then

Makes sense actually. You’d need to space out the second dose though. They are 4 weeks apart usually. So would be a long holiday!

Or are you thinking if J&J is reapproved there you could just get the one shot? That would be more straightforward.

JPup wrote: »
    Makes sense actually. You’d need to space out the second dose though. They are 4 weeks apart usually. So would be a long holiday!

J&j will probably be back in the next few days. I don’t think I will do it, but some have the option to go north now maybe some will have the option to go stateside

J&J is suspended in the US so you wouldn't be fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement

J&J is suspended in the US so you wouldn't be fully vaccinated.

Fauci said he thought J&j would be unrestricted for all age groups in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They're still not doing estas though, so you're **** outta luck when you hit customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Alaska are giving free vaccines in their airports from June for tourists. Seems that no social security number is needed.

JTMan wrote: »
    Alaska are giving free vaccines in their airports from June for tourists. Seems that no social security number is needed.

Nice, I hope other places start doing this. I can see Dubai / Israel doing something along these lines

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    "Britain's medicines regulator on Thursday said there had been 168 major blood clots with low platelets following a dose of AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine, a rate of 7.9 clots per million doses, a jump in incidence from the previous week's figure.

This was up from the 100 cases reported last week, when the overall case incidence was 4.9 per million doses.

The UK’s medicines regulator said the overall case fatality rate was 19 per cent, with 32 deaths reported up to April 14.

The cases, reported through the Yellow Card scheme, occurred in 93 women and 75 men aged from 18 to 93 years old. One was after a second dose.

Of the CVST cases, the average age is 47, while for the other major thromboembolic events the average age is 55."

One case after second vaccine isn't good. With johnson and johnson being only 1 dose I think it gives them more room to lower the age than with Az.

This is all extremely concerning (for me, at least), that acceleration makes it look like it is a much bigger problem in the younger age groups than initially thought.

As a 25yo who has already had one dose of AZ, the fact it occurred in a second dose for one case is worrying me. Not that many second doses of AZ have been given out due to the 3 month gap, so it could be indicative that not experiencing the CVST in the first dose doesn't preclude you from experiencing it with the second. I'm losing more and more confidence in getting the second dose... really not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

I'm assuming you want to be vaccinated in a hurry to avoid catching covid. Surely passing through busy airports and sitting in a packed plane for hours with hundreds of strangers greatly increases your chance of catching covid, rather than sitting tight for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Good news once again, but you won’t see any of the Irish media report this

This bull**** has been blown out of the water over and over, and yet people still claim this nonsense. Give it a rest, chill out, take a walk or something.

rm212 wrote: »
    This is all extremely concerning (for me, at least), that acceleration makes it look like it is a much bigger problem in the younger age groups than initially thought.

As a 25yo who has already had one dose of AZ, the fact it occurred in a second dose for one case is worrying me. Not that many second doses of AZ have been given out due to the 3 month gap, so it could be indicative that not experiencing the CVST in the first dose doesn't preclude you from experiencing it with the second. I'm losing more and more confidence in getting the second dose... really not sure what to do.

32 from 20,000,000 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    "Britain's medicines regulator on Thursday said there had been 168 major blood clots with low platelets following a dose of AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine, a rate of 7.9 clots per million doses, a jump in incidence from the previous week's figure.

This was up from the 100 cases reported last week, when the overall case incidence was 4.9 per million doses.

The UK’s medicines regulator said the overall case fatality rate was 19 per cent, with 32 deaths reported up to April 14.

The cases, reported through the Yellow Card scheme, occurred in 93 women and 75 men aged from 18 to 93 years old. One was after a second dose.

Of the CVST cases, the average age is 47, while for the other major thromboembolic events the average age is 55."

One case after second vaccine isn't good. With johnson and johnson being only 1 dose I think it gives them more room to lower the age than with Az.

This is a bit ambiguous, unless I'm reading it wrong. From the last line, it appears they aren't just talking about CVST. Was the one case after the second dose CVST or a different kind of clot? Was it in someone prone to clotting?

It's very hard to draw conclusions when CVST cases are lumped in with other kinds of clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Surprised to see no recent mention in this thread of the ongoing delays in administering a vaccine to housebound individuals

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/1000-housebound-elderly-people-are-still-awaiting-their-first-covid-jab-40344164.html

Varadkar says it "may be time to find an alternative" to the National Ambulance Service for these vaccinations. Great :rolleyes: This should have been planned for months ago. According to the above link, they are using the AZ vaccine which presumably can be brought to the patients rather than the much more logistically difficult task of bringing the patients to a vaccination centre

They can't blame supply issues for this either as there have been more than enough AZ vaccines received and administered to other groups to vaccinate the housebound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Alright.
    Would something like a medical card/bank card do?

Photo ID required. Public Service card, Passport, Driving Licence.

I was asked for my PPS number, home address details, mobile phone number, date of birth.

When registering online I was asked to bring my vaccination history passport. I have one and brought it along....When I mentioned it, they hadn't a clue what I was talking about.....

Thankfully I did know who won the GAA All Ireland Football final of 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's a very big jump - 68 new cases reported in a single week

We shouldn't be too surprised at that. There's greater awareness now. Interesting to see one occurred after the second dose. In a few weeks we should have a more detailed insight into the risk for both J&J and AZ vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Amirani wrote: »
    The Minister for Health isn't on NIAC. If they tell him they need more time or information to make their decision, then there's nothing he can do; he's not the expert here.

I'm not sure if it would even be legal for him to "force" an earlier decision. Would certainly open the State up to all sorts of additional liability.

There's certainly a growing not so gentle hint campaign coming from Certain Government ministers, HSE senior management, NPHET levelled toward NIAC to approve full use of J&J vacinne, it's boarding on interference quite frankly and very disturbing. As I've stated previously if AZ & J&J Vacinnes are pretty identical and have had some small numbers of reported blood clotting incidents, NIAC will have some explaning to do if they give full approvals to J&J and continue to restrict AZ. I'm no medical expert but something is not right with this process and I find it concerning any not so subtle persuading is going on. I'm pro vacinne, anti mixed messaging.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

ixoy wrote: »
    Little point comparing to Canada - different supply lines.

They have, yes, but before that we were roughly the same and sometimes ahead of them. Allow for fluctuations a little - if the gap continues to widen further and further, then yes it'll be more disheartening.

Im looking at the 7 day average for vaccination rates. On the 1st of April we were in the high middle of the pack among the 18 Western European countries, in 6th place with a rolling 7 day average vaccination rate of 0.39 per 100 per day.

Since the 14th of April we have been in last place. Our current 7 day average is 0.42, only a slight increase from the 1st of April. Sweden went from 0.31 to 0.65, Portugal went from 0.38 to 0.67, Germany went from 0.37 to 0.6, even Spain who were leading the pack on the 1st of April have gone from 0.46 to 0.63. We are the only Western European country to never hit a 0.5 average over 7 days.

Im not sure why people are not picking up on this but we are really starting to fall behind. It's going to start showing in the overall vaccination rates very soon, we had pretty good months by European standards in February and March which is hiding the current trends in the overall numbers but it won't stay like that for much longer. There is no point celebrating a 35k or 40k day on Friday if we keep having 5k days on Weekends and 20k days on Mondays and Tuesdays. We need to consistently be averaging 25k to 30k over 7 days to keep up with the rest of Europe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's certainly a growing not so gentle hint campaign coming from Certain Government ministers, HSE senior management, NPHET levelled toward NIAC to approve full use of J&J vacinne, it's boarding on interference quite frankly and very disturbing. As I've stated previously if AZ & J&J Vacinnes are pretty identical and have had some small numbers of reported blood clotting incidents, NIAC will have some explaning to do if they give full approvals to J&J and continue to restrict AZ. I'm no medical expert but something is not right with this process and I find it concerning any not so subtle persuading is going on. I'm pro vacinne, anti mixed messaging.

In this article Eamonn Ryan is talking about J&J for Aged 50+

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0422/1211323-covid-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There seems to be a significant difference in the number of reported clotting cases for J&J versus AZ. The risk profile does not look identical.

Government could do more than merely "hint" here. They need to give NIAC cover and tell them what they would like the risk balance to be.

"This is a medical decision" I hear some say. Look, this is either a pandemic or it isn't - if we're in a pandemic and Covid is dangerous, then we need to deploy vaccines as quickly as possible and accept a slightly higher risk than we would in normal times. If it's not a pandemic and we can leave good vaccines go unusued, then let's reopen the country. Extended lockdowns are not a low-cost alternative to vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

Tend to agree with this. For an un named minister to describe something NIAC are doing as "madness" as reported in one of the papers this morning, is pretty disgraceful imo. Let the experts do their jobs, just because he/she doesn't like the potential outcome, doesn't mean its the wrong one.

Turtwig wrote: »
    We shouldn't be too surprised at that. There's greater awareness now. Interesting to see one occurred after the second dose. In a few weeks we should have a more detailed insight into the risk for both J&J and AZ vaccines.

They're also moving down the ages and into the groups most at risk of the clots.

It is concerning. I know people will argue the risk is tiny, but 32 people in the UK alone have died from this. That's not insignificant. The covid risk for many of those people would have been very low too.

I'm relieved at NIAC's approach, even if it was on the conservative side.

Couldn’t disagree more. The government should be telling niac that there is a balance to be had, the J&j vaccine is safe and effective albeit with an extremely rare side effect. We can’t keep the country locked down forever waiting for the perfect vaccine, that may never come.

If J&j was the only vaccine in town, we won’t even bother talking about the rare side effects.

J&j should be approved for everyone as per the ema and fda recommendations. Perhaps they can offer people an opt out of J&j and they can join a queue for a preferred vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Russman wrote: »
    Tend to agree with this. For an un named minister to describe something NIAC are doing as "madness" as reported in one of the papers this morning, is pretty disgraceful imo. Let the experts do their jobs, just because he/she doesn't like the potential outcome, doesn't mean its the wrong one.

If the outcome is different to other countries, its certainly up for debate.

If they're looking at the vaccine purely on an individual risk level, is it worth taking versus the risk of covid, not taking into account the societal impacts of the lack of vaccines having us in lockdowns - its being looked at wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement