Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd love to know how much they have ready to go. Can they hit the ground running? I'd like to think they have millions stockpiled.
    MILAN, (Reuters) - The COVID-19 vaccine by German biotech firm CureVac candidate should be "ready" in Europe by the end of May, while Europe's medicines agency will finish its assessment of Russia's Sputnik in June, the head of Italy's medicines agency AIFA said on Wednesday.

"With CureVac we are at a very good stage, we expect it to be registered in Europe and (be) hopefully ready by the end of May," AIFA's Director Nicola Magrini told Italy's Radio 24.

"The EMA has an ongoing rolling review of the Sputnik vaccine, we think it will be given a final assessment by June," he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭josip

Widescreen wrote: »
    EU were turning there nose up at the AZ vaccine from the start. That's why they are getting short changed with supplies.

Johnson and Johnson will be portrayed as Mother's milk next week and all will be ok. It's American it has to be ok!
    This is just depressing how many people don't understand simple maths.

If Timmy has, for example, a 0.01% chance of dying from COVID and the AZ vaccine gives him a 0.001% chance of blood cot or something else that causes his death.

You take the vaccine.

End of.

You've oversimplified it.
    You didn't factor in Timmy's likelihood of contracting Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

This is just depressing how many people don't understand simple maths.

If Timmy has, for example, a 0.01% chance of dying from COVID and the AZ vaccine gives him a 0.001% chance of blood cot or something else that causes his death.

You take the vaccine.

End of.

In fairness the gap is a bit narrower then that in younger groups , but you dont have all the potential long covid side effects with a vacine either. Plus you contribute to making this thing endemic hopefully.
    The less severe risks but still serious from covid significantly outweigh those from any vacine.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

secman wrote: »
    32.5 hours exactly :)

18 mins from call to jab for me, that has to be a record for short notice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

hmmm wrote: »
    True, and for the next few decades we're going to have anti-vaxxers saying "Do you remember the AZ vaccine killed young Timmy O'Reilly back in 2021."

If you're going to make it available, it needs to be very clear that you are spinning a wheel, and while the odds are incredibly low that you will have a bad outcome a small number of people will be affected. Many people will be turned off by this, I think most are quite realistic about risk and won't be.

It's not something you would consider outside a pandemic with very significant and continuing economic and social impacts from restrictions. It might not even be needed if we see a big acceleration of supply from other vaccines, but if we do have surplus AZ over the coming weeks we should be deciding now whether we would be willing to release it to under-60s.

And remembering the many multiples of Timmy who died from contracting Covid19....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Clearly the effects of an extended lockdown mean nothing to some people. If we took the attitude that everything has to be 100% safe in life we'd never get out of bed.

If an adult is made aware of the miniscule risk from a vaccine during a pandemic and chooses to go ahead anyway, then in my opinion that is not something we should be discouraging. Thankfully it looks like some countries treat their citizens like adults.
    Exactly. I think this attitude is somewhat symptomatic of modern life. Ever before this pandemic reared its ugly head, I feel there was an ever-growing fixation on public health. In the main this was manifested in sensible policies such as the smoking ban, drink driving bans, etc. but, on occasion, we were veering into nanny-state territory - for example the special aisles designated for alcohol in supermarkets now. Whilst a lot of these public health policies have been well-meaning with good intentions, I think it creates an attitude of caution and obsession with health. We're seeing this play out at an extreme level now with the vaccine rollout.

Anyway, going slightly off-topic, but the line I think of most when I read all the issues surrounding vaccines is "don't let perfect be the enemy of good"

Has anyone had Moderna, are you wiped out after it? Trying to see if I should book a day or 2 off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'd love to know how much they have ready to go. Can they hit the ground running? I'd like to think they have millions stockpiled.

Assuming a similar efficacy and side-effects profile as Pfizer and Moderna, Curevac is going to be another game-changer! A mRNA vaccine that can be stored for months in an ordinary fridge: priceless!

Carslberg don't do vaccines.... But if they did.....

Has anyone had Moderna, are you wiped out after it? Trying to see if I should book a day or 2 off work.

My practice nurse had Moderna and the second dose had her wiped out for 3 to 4 days

My practice nurse had Moderna and the second dose had her wiped out for 3 to 4 days

Maybe I should hold out on the holidays from work for the second dose so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

If someone registers using the registration portal today, when are they likely to be called?

My mam is 64 so can register today, but has surgery scheduled in Belfast on Tuesday and won't be discharged back home to Kilkenny until the following Saturday (1st May).

If she gets called while up North, does it allow you to reschedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m 30 but medically vulnerable l

What is the link to?

I supposed to be cohort 7, but think the consultant moved everyone to 4. I just got a text of when and where. That was last month, so things could have changed. I’m really unsure how the non MVC are working if you’re getting Pfizer or Moderna

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My son had Moderna and was wiped out for a day after the first dose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

My folks have had both doses of the Moderna. My mum just reported a few shivers after the first (nothing serious at all) and a sore arm after the second.

With all the vaccines I think it all depends on the individual. Some have stronger reactions than others (not unlike COVID itself).

I'm on day 2 of Pfizer dose 1,and absolutely no side effects. My arm was a tiny bit tender yesterday at injection site but only when touched. And it would be a 1 on a scale to 10. If anyone is wondering how side effects are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

josip wrote: »
    You've oversimplified it.
    You didn't factor in Timmy's likelihood of contracting Covid.

what is your point?

Timmy's chance of catching AND dying from COVID are still much more than dying from AZ vaccine side effects.

I have been looking into it but can't really see much about Moderna and the variants, does anyone in the know have any links? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If I was the government, the waiver would say the odds of a bad outcome at certain ages (clot & possible death) and I'd set an amount aside for compensation, along with promise of excellent healthcare.

No idea if that would stand up legally :)

If we have lots of supply well and good, but otherwise the vaccine portal could easily advertise that 'x amounts of AZ' are available on a first come first served basis to who-ever books.
    I would imagine they legally can't do that as at this point they wouldn't be able to state with much certainty what the odds of a bad outcome are
    Do you want a tribunal costing millions and making a whole generation of barristers rich? because thats how you get a Tribunal in Ireland :P

I say government is absolutely paralized by the fear of being sued (who ironically enough why dont they do something about it).

The cost of every tribunal in the history of the state would still come out significantly lower than the cost of a week extra in lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have been looking into it but can't really see much about Moderna and the variants, does anyone in the know have any links? Thank you.

You can't have been looking very hard, press release here, TLDR is that there's no worries about elimination of severe symptoms but efficacy not as high as with original strain:
    https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Novavax won't be delivering until July
    https://news.sky.com/story/im-hoping-that-collaboration-can-continue-across-borders-says-novavax-vaccine-maker-12284097

The EU's decision not to purchase it was much ado about nothing really

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    You can't have been looking very hard, press release here, TLDR is that there's no worries about elimination of severe symptoms but efficacy not as high as with original strain:
    https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

Cheers and thanks for the additional smart comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why bother taking holidays just call in sick if your feeling a bit crap the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

High points of daily shots first, second, all types

5 March 19449
    24 Mar 23330
    25 March 27490
    1 April 30915
    15 April 34596

New High
    21 April 34863 ( although not by a huge amount, but still )

Most high points have been thursdays so hopefully more good news tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cheers and thanks for the additional smart comment.

It was literally the second result when searching for "moderna variants", I was very tempted to post a "let me google that for you" link!

Just on etiquette when posting, if you are looking for someone's opinion on mRNA vs. variants, then it's fine to ask open ended question, and people can give you their opinion back and may include sources, but if you're asking someone for links that are literally a simple search away, then it's really seen as bad manners to post as such. It's also starts off the conversation on the defensive as you're implying that there is no data on Moderna vs. variants because you haven't been able to find any so it doesn't exist, and thus there is an issue with Moderna vs. variants, when this isn't the case at all.

Now, maybe you did search and couldn't find any, or maybe you were in a rush and typed a post quickly, but be careful with your phrasing and implications of that phrasing because the next time you ask for links people will immediately think you're posting in bad faith. "Anyone got a link about J&J and the India variant, I can't find anything at all".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I see Curevac haven’t finalised their manufacturing partnerships. Any chance it might get part manufactured in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

trellheim wrote: »
    High points of daily shots first, second, all types

5 March 19449
    24 Mar 23330
    25 March 27490
    1 April 30915
    15 April 34596

New High
    21 April 34863 ( although not by a huge amount, but still )

Most high points have been thursdays so hopefully more good news tomorrow

Paul Reid already confirmed 39k+ on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Would it not count as a sick day if you are too unwell to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Chad Pfizer vaccine vs Virgin AZ vaccine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Chad Pfizer vaccine vs Virgin AZ vaccine :pac:

Not a week goes by without good news about Pfizer and bad news about AZ.

They're absolutely flying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement