Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

astrofool wrote: »
    It was literally the second result when searching for "moderna variants", I was very tempted to post a "let me google that for you" link!

Just on etiquette when posting, if you are looking for someone's opinion on mRNA vs. variants, then it's fine to ask open ended question, and people can give you their opinion back and may include sources, but if you're asking someone for links that are literally a simple search away, then it's really seen as bad manners to post as such. It's also starts off the conversation on the defensive as you're implying that there is no data on Moderna vs. variants because you haven't been able to find any so it doesn't exist, and thus there is an issue with Moderna vs. variants, when this isn't the case at all.

Now, maybe you did search and couldn't find any, or maybe you were in a rush and typed a post quickly, but be careful with your phrasing and implications of that phrasing because the next time you ask for links people will immediately think you're posting in bad faith. "Anyone got a link about J&J and the India variant, I can't find anything at all".

Well I wasn't, I literally searched and could only find links to a new booster for Moderna for the South African variant so was genuinely confused.

Might be more in your line not to frighten people off who are looking for information. The terminology alone in the link you did post could be confusing to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pfizer and Moderna are saving us.

Anyone have an idea of the increase in scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

AdamD wrote: »
    I would imagine they legally can't do that as at this point they wouldn't be able to state with much certainty what the odds of a bad outcome are

The cost of every tribunal in the history of the state would still come out significantly lower than the cost of a week extra in lockdown

Yup , but the problem is individuals are asked to make calls on safety/recommendation of vacines , where they see a clear path to court/enquiries whatever if something goes ary. It numbs them into conservative decisions. For the same reason the government is happy to stay out of it for the most part and seem to provide no sort of amnesty for any of it.

Compare that to who do you point the finger for loss of life or economic damages from covid attributed to arguably unneeded delays to the vacine rollout and things are way way muddier. Probably be a tribunal more expensive than all the others combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

eleventh wrote: »
    Genuine concerns, as were the concerns of this person.

Advice if you want it is to wait.

I don’t see the connection between my concern over the vaccine having rare blood clotting side effects and someone who is clearly trolling by suggesting that it’s some “unapproved experimental gene therapy” or not a vaccine at all. Those concerns were not in good faith, and I had already expressed my concern over the blood clotting side effect before that person’s ridiculous gene therapy comment. Come on, don’t be silly.

Is this the basis for the extra 500k pfizer doses announced last week, or is it another extra positive development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well I wasn't, I literally searched and could only find links to a new booster for Moderna for the South African variant so was genuinely confused.

Might be more in your line not to frighten people off who are looking for information. The terminology alone in the link you did post could be confusing to some.

Which is exactly why I added the TLDR into it, but then we're back to you actually wanting an opinion on Moderna vs. variants and not links. As said, maybe it was just unfortunate phrasing, and you really couldn't find the details, but you're starting off defensively, then making a post about the "smart comment", then clarified you wanted a layman's version of the information because the link could be confusing (to yourself or others?, and again this puts you on the defensive and will want a witty comment to come back with, so I can withdraw and just leave it be).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

lbj666 wrote: »
    Is this the basis for the extra 500k pfizer doses announced last week, or is it another extra positive development.

I believe its another positive on top of the 500k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Israel recorded 0 deaths yesterday for the first time in 10 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

For the love of christ will yous shut the f**k but about Timmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Qrt wrote: »
    latest?cb=20140613132500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Qrt wrote: »

Well done, made Timmy cry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Poor Timmy just wants to study for his Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Vicxas wrote: »
    Pfizer and Moderna are saving us.

Anyone have an idea of the increase in scale?

Earlier there were reports that Moderna were looking at increasing the fill of the vials from 10 to 15 doses. It would allow them to ship more with less vials as the fill and finish part was a bottleneck for them. Not sure about Pfizer with regard to this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Lithuania were the first EU country to get to 30 vaccines per 100 yesterday without using Russian or Chinese vaccines. Spain almost certain to join them today. Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Belgium, Austria and Finland will all get there this weekend.

30 cases per 100 looks to protect against major spread of covid. Looking at Israel, Hungary and Uruguay that is when the drop off in cases starts.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Lithuania were the first EU country to get to 30 vaccines per 100 yesterday without using Russian or Chinese vaccines. Spain almost certain to join them today. Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Belgium, Austria and Finland will all get there this weekend.

30 cases per 100 looks to protect against major spread of covid. Looking at Israel, Hungary and Uruguay that is when the drop off in cases starts.

Does 30 vaccines per 100 mean that 30% of pop have at least one dose.

Or total first and second doses figure equals 30% of pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

thebaz wrote: »
    our NIAC seams more over-cautious than even NPHET, taking the weekend off to think about it - meanwhile citizens of the country are in lockdown for a year and most are urgently awaiting vaccinations, and a return to some form of nomality. Sighhh.

How many other countries worldwide have made a decision on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snotboogie wrote: »

What number are we at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

leahyl wrote: »
    What number are we at?

~25 per 100

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Too late to vaccinate poor young Timmy now... Sadly, he died about 3 or 4 pages back... I heard it in the Pub... His Sister sister is still alive though...

Joined the nuns I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

"The recommendation by the Agency’s Committee for Human Medicines (CHMP) is expected to have a significant impact on the supply of Comirnaty, the COVID-19 vaccine developed by BioNTech and Pfizer, in the European Union."

This sounds like a very sizeable increase, Pfizer demonstrating under promise over deliver excellently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Does 30 vaccines per 100 mean that 30% of pop have at least one dose.

Or total first and second doses figure equals 30% of pop?

30 doses for every hundred people total, first and second included.

Ireland are at 25.5. I think we get to 30 around the 2nd of May at our current rate

AdamD wrote: »
    This makes sense on an individual level for Timmy if there are no knock on effects. But on a societal level, if we have to wait for all under 50s to be vaccinated by Pfizer we will have extended restrictions.

Who says we need all under 50s vaccinated before we ease restrictions though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

But, but, but ... there's zero evidence that they protect against variants that haven't emerged yet

What time approx does the swab data come out at?

Need a drop after yesterdays panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got my first dose from GP today of Pfizer as I was in category 4 and/or 7, asthmatic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Following on from the EMA tweet

Separately, the EU drug regulator said it had approved an increase in batch sizes for shots made there, which von der Leyen said will mark a 20% increase in output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I got my first dose from GP today of Pfizer as I was in category 4 and/or 7, asthmatic

Fantastic JP Liz!

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Following on from the EMA tweet

Separately, the EU drug regulator said it had approved an increase in batch sizes for shots made there, which von der Leyen said will mark a 20% increase in output.

How much of the EU's supply is coming from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

First dose next Thursday from my GP. Expected to be waiting a little longer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement