Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Joined the nuns I heard.

Yeah! She had it rough for a while there! Took to the drink in a big way! Got started on the Blue Nun! Then got hooked on the Altar Wine! Eventually she kicked the habit, but by then she had developed such a taste for the religion, she joined the Convent!

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1384966966474051588?s=20

I'm embarrassed by NIAC.

Have definitely prolonged this pandemic in my view.

All vaccines authorised by EMA are safe.

Meanwhile in UK they have they declared their pandemic over...

I agree with them.

They are now in a new phase.

We unfortunately are months behind.

How many infections and lives could have been saved in ireland if they went with 10 to 12 weeks apart for all from Start?

UK made this calculation early on.

Fair play to them.

NIAC have tied themselves in knots with public looking on with less confidence in entire process.

Disgusting that their actions will prolong pandemic in ireland for a day longer than needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I got my first dose from GP today of Pfizer as I was in category 4 and/or 7, asthmatic

For the sake of this entire website that's genuinely great news, delighted for you.

good man eric!!

Dr. Topol, a cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic, drew embarrassing scrutiny last month when Fortune magazine reported that he was a paid consultant for a hedge fund that had made money betting that Merck stock would decline. He had been a vocal critic of Vioxx, a Merck drug, which was withdrawn from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems a dramatic ramping up of Pfizer doses in Germany is on the way :

https://twitter.com/retrofandango/status/1385551012136636417

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

lbj666 wrote: »
    How much of the EU's supply is coming from there?

From this article it states puurs in Belgium hopes to produce 100m vaccines by May. 100m per month.

EU expected to announce world's largest ever vaccine deal for 1.8b Pfizer vaccines in the coming days.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/eu-seals-deal-with-pfizer-biontech-up-18-bln-doses-vaccine-eu-official-2021-04-23/

Woody79 wrote: »

I'm embarrassed by NIAC.

Meanwhile in UK they have they declared their pandemic over...

I agree with them.

They are now in a new phase.

We unfortunately are months behind.

How many infections and lives could have been saved in ireland if they went with 10 to 12 weeks apart for all from Start?

UK made this calculation early on.

Fair play to them.

NIAC have tied themselves in knots with public looking on with less confidence in entire process.

Disgusting that their actions will prolong pandemic in ireland for a day longer than needed.

Really??

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/minister-allowing-government-to-dodge-responsibility-for-using-vaccine-that-wasnt-fully-trialed-campaigners-claim-39555639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Russman

Strazdas wrote: »

This must be what the post on here from a few days or a week ago was referring to when it was said that Germany was planning to meet that milestone by end of May. Brilliant news if true !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

rusty cole wrote: »
    good man eric!!

Dr. Topol, a cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic, drew embarrassing scrutiny last month when Fortune magazine reported that he was a paid consultant for a hedge fund that had made money betting that Merck stock would decline. He had been a vocal critic of Vioxx, a Merck drug, which was withdrawn from the market.
    Not sure what your point is there. The fact he drew attention to a dodgy drug is a good thing in my opinion.

Yes really.

Benefits outweigh risks 1000 fold

Swine flu:pac::pac:?

Not a real pandemic in my view.

Stakes are alot higher.

I have not seen many friends for over a year.

I went to the epicentre of swine flu pandemic in June 2009 (mexico). I thought about swine flu once in entire two week trip when i saw a person wearing a mask once over a two week period. I looked on in innocent amusement. Not much amusement by me in last 13 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Not Great, hopefully they can get going with vaccination rollout. It appears schools re-opening have increased the Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not Great, hopefully they can get going with vaccination rollout. It appears schools re-opening have increased the Ro

Positivity rate is still more or less the same, more you test more cases you catch

Yes really.

Swine flu:pac::pac:?

I have not seen many friends for over a year.

I went to the epicentre of swine flu pandemic in June 2009 (mexico). I thought about swine flu once in entire two week trip when i saw a person wearing a mask once over a two week period. I looked on in innocent amusement. Not much amusement by me in last 13 months.

it doesnt matter if you went through the epicentre of a cold sore outbreak, you said all EMA vaccines are safe, I think many kids on whom that approved vaccine was administered but not tested on, will argue with you..when they wake up!

I get your point as to the gravity of covid but don't assume for one minute because rushed vaccines are said to be effective, they are AND without adverse issue as yet to be seen. most trials got for 5 years for a reason, so drop outs can be followed up for example.
    Trial drop outs are nearly always removed, why did they drop out? thrombosis? or plain old car crash?
    I'm not being a pri.k I'm only saying that's all ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm embarrassed by NIAC.

Embarrassing comment by Luke O'Neill surely, if it is the Luke O'Neill. Never does to overstate the case and exaggerate. All the signs are that we are coming into the summer, most vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and health staff. Numbers declining. If we were approaching Nov/ Dec his graphic might be appropriate, but the only cliff edge approaching in immediate future is that imagined up. We surely have time to pause the use of vaccines that have given cause for concern across multiple states. Take a leaf out of Denmark and Germany, slow down and do it right. We have at least four or five months in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Gael23 wrote: »
    First dose next Thursday from my GP. Expected to be waiting a little longer

Which group do you fall into Gael23?

Furze99 wrote: »
    Embarrassing comment by Luke O'Neill surely, if it is the Luke O'Neill. Never does to overstate the case and exaggerate. All the signs are that we are coming into the summer, most vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and health staff. Numbers declining. If we were approaching Nov/ Dec his graphic might be appropriate, but the only cliff edge approaching in immediate future is that imagined up. We surely have time to pause the use of vaccines that have given cause for concern across multiple states. Take a leaf out of Denmark and Germany, slow down and do it right.

How many deaths in ireland due to covid vaccines?

How many deaths in ireland due to covid?

Get on with it (jabs)

People want their lives back.

I wouldnt want to follow either of those countries on vaccine policy?

Both have high incidence of covid currently.

This will only be controlled by vaccination.

Stay at home is not sustainable policy after 13 months of this. The greater good for all is keep jabbing away at most vulnerable with whatever vaccine we have available.

When supply increases then we can be more choosy.

it doesnt matter if you went through the epicentre of a cold sore outbreak, you said all EMA vaccines are safe, I think many kids on whom that approved vaccine was administered but not tested on, will argue with you..when they wake up!

I get your point as to the gravity of covid but don't assume for one minute because rushed vaccines are said to be effective, they are AND without adverse issue as yet to be seen. most trials got for 5 years for a reason, so drop outs can be followed up for example.
    Trial drop outs are nearly always removed, why did they drop out? thrombosis? or plain old car crash?
    I'm not being a pri.k I'm only saying that's all ok

We will agree to disagree.

Your the one that referenced the comparable deadly swine flu that killed thousands in ireland.

It's all about risks/benefits.

To me swine flu was zero risk to me therefore I didn't even know until years later there even was such a vaccine.

I have been anxiously waiting for a vaccine for six months to get back to a sense of normalcy.

It's all about the risk benefit.

Look at the benefit in the UK to society as a whole by people taking the jabs.

People and wider society are benefiting directly and indirectly by over 60% of people with first jabs.

The threat to the population in UK is reducing day on day with people able to do more each day also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Cork2021

EMA presser, AZ excellent vaccine and benefits continue to our do the risks!!!

https://twitter.com/ema_news/status/1385597756442566661?s=21

Furze99 wrote: »
    Embarrassing comment by Luke O'Neill surely, if it is the Luke O'Neill. Never does to overstate the case and exaggerate.
    It was the poster you quoted who made the "embarrassed" comment, not Luke O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

lbj666 wrote: »
    Positivity rate is still more or less the same, more you test more cases you catch

Positivity rate should decrease if you increase number of tests. Most symptomatic people will seek a test and so it's only really asymptomatic that you would catch by providing extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    This must be what the post on here from a few days or a week ago was referring to when it was said that Germany was planning to meet that milestone by end of May. Brilliant news if true !

It appears to be. That guy seems to be an ordinary punter but it looks like he has read or heard this in the German media today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Which group do you fall into Gael23?

I thought I was group 7 but my consultant must have recommended me for group 4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Gael23 wrote: »
    I thought I was group 7 but my consultant must have recommended me for group 4

Group 4 is becoming very broad and is incorporating a lot of people who would have been classified as group 7 previously, I think, given the good supply of Pfizer, this is being allowed to happen without too much fuss and it reduces the numbers needing doses in 7 later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    All of these countries are pulling from the same pool as us but are vaccinating 50% more people per capita per day. France, Spain, Italy, Denmark and Germany have all restricted Astra Zeneka and are all vaccinating at a far faster pace than us.

And apart from that what are we actually supposed to learn here? Some of them were very slow, have different strategies, have different mixes of vaccines or have had extra allocations. It's always been a supply issue here and no magic can fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Strazdas wrote: »

This is been misreported. Germany will not have vaccines for everyone by the start of June. There has been talk that Germany will open the vaccination program to everyone from the start of June. It would be like us getting rid of the cohorts and opening the registration to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I got my first dose from GP today of Pfizer as I was in category 4 and/or 7, asthmatic
    Great stuff. Mind me asking what meds you're on for asthma?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

astrofool wrote: »
    Group 4 is becoming very broad and is incorporating a lot of people who would have been classified as group 7 previously, I think, given the good supply of Pfizer, this is being allowed to happen without too much fuss and it reduces the numbers needing doses in 7 later on.

My understanding of group 4 was it’s for non OAPs who will likely die if they get Covid such as people with lung disease, cancer, transplant /dialysis patients etc

https://corporate.evonik.com/en/start-of-production-in-record-time-evonik-delivers-first-lipids-from-german-facility-to-biontech-157106.html

Evonik press release from yesterday. They are three months ahead of schedule for manufacturing the lipid component of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, in their facility in Hannau for use in the BioNTech plant in Marburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cork2021 wrote: »
    EMA presser, AZ excellent vaccine and benefits continue to our do the risks!!!

https://twitter.com/ema_news/status/1385597756442566661?s=21

This is what they said about J&J.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-vaccine-janssen-ema-finds-possible-link-very-rare-cases-unusual-blood-clots-low-blood

Note this comment.
    EMA’s recommendations are the foundation upon which individual EU Member States will design and implement their own national vaccination campaigns. These may differ from country to country depending on their national needs and circumstances, such as infection rates, priority populations, vaccine availability and hospitalisation rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Gf's dad registered this morning at 9 and got a phone call 10 minutes ago. Thursday AZ shot in the City Hall in Cork.

That's mammy, girlfriend, her mammy and her dad all having one shot by the end of the week. Brilliant. All 4 people close to me are gonna be protected.

Delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement