Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

eoinbn wrote: »
    This is been misreported. Germany will not have vaccines for everyone by the start of June. There has been talk that Germany will open the vaccination program to everyone from the start of June. It would be like us getting rid of the cohorts and opening the registration to everyone.

But he mentions a specific figure of 60m Pfizer doses a month. Is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

is_that_so wrote: »
    And apart from that what are we actually supposed to learn here? Some of them were very slow, have different strategies, have different mixes of vaccines or have had extra allocations. It's always been a supply issue here and no magic can fix that.

How can we have a supply issue when we are getting the same allocation as the rest of western Europe but have vaccinated by far the least per capita over the last 3 weeks? What different mixes are they using? Are you saying we have the strictest restrictions on Astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Strazdas wrote: »
    But he mentions a specific figure of 60m Pfizer doses a month. Is that incorrect?

BioNtech alone should be able to supply 60m a month. They will be making more but they will be supplying other countries. Pfizer are continuing to make improvements to their Puurs plant. I don't know how much they can make a month but its is probably in excess or 40m a month. By June/July they should have a combined output of 120-150m doses per month but they have other contracts to fulfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    How can we have a supply issue when we are getting the same allocation as the rest of western Europe but have vaccinated by far the least per capita over the last 3 weeks? What different mixes are they using? Are you saying we have the strictest restrictions on Astra?
    I'm saying there remains a supply issue and that AZ has been held back for the over 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

astrofool wrote: »
    Group 4 is becoming very broad and is incorporating a lot of people who would have been classified as group 7 previously, I think, given the good supply of Pfizer, this is being allowed to happen without too much fuss and it reduces the numbers needing doses in 7 later on.

There is also an issue with some GP's not signing up for looking after group 7, so the burden would then fall on consultants. I'm not sure how it works if the consultant has a group 7 patient and their GP will not be involved in that rollout. They fall through the cracks or consultants have to be more generous with the group 4 defination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Russman

Wolf359f wrote: »
    There is also an issue with some GP's not signing up for looking after group 7, so the burden would then fall on consultants. I'm not sure how it works if the consultant has a group 7 patient and their GP will not be involved in that rollout. They fall through the cracks or consultants have to be more generous with the group 4 defination?

Its probably going to lead to an ongoing "mopping up" operation that will roll on alongside the lower cohorts as we get down through them. Unfortunately the outliers will be the ones that make the news, but kind of inevitable really. The lists should have been finalised last autumn imo anyway, or at least at final draft stage ready for last minute changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

eoinbn wrote: »
    This is been misreported. Germany will not have vaccines for everyone by the start of June. There has been talk that Germany will open the vaccination program to everyone from the start of June. It would be like us getting rid of the cohorts and opening the registration to everyone.
    The health minister said today there was a '99% chance' there would be vaccines for everyone in Germany by start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

If all AZ vaccines are going to 60-69yo s and there is some supply in the country are they fast dishing it out? I have not seen much about the online booking system how fast it going through those registered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Gf's dad registered this morning at 9 and got a phone call 10 minutes ago. Thursday AZ shot in the City Hall in Cork.

That's mammy, girlfriend, her mammy and her dad all having one shot by the end of the week. Brilliant. All 4 people close to me are gonna be protected.

Delighted.

I registered my aunt 68 last Friday in Donegal and still no word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Hope ye get a date soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

ax530 wrote: »
    If all AZ vaccines are going to 60-69yo s and there is some supply in the country are they fast dishing it out? I have not seen much about the online booking system how fast it going through those registered

My 65 year old mam registered on the first day (last wednesday or thursday I think) and just now got the text for her vaccine on Monday. North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sweden have decided not to bother with the J&J. They recommended that it be only used on over 65s, but since these will all be done in the next few weeks and there is very little J&J available until later they reckon it isn't worth the trouble of using it.
    Ireland could be in more or less a similar situation if they have an over 60 restriction.
    And the New York Times reports that some states are beginning to close their big vaccination centres owing to lack of demand. Those people who haven't been done need to be serviced in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

My parents are 63 so I want to register them tomorrow,
    Can I use my email address for both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

My parents are 63 so I want to register them tomorrow,
    Can I use my email address for both of them?

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Got mine today and now I’m wondering how long I’ve got until Bill Gates turns me off. I’m feeling very good so far though. Lovely people running a smooth operation at the centre in the Fairways Hotel, Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Spoke to my GP yesterday, got the all clear for Alpha-1 which is great and he told me they are currently vaccinating cohort 4 and will be going on to 7 soon. But he also added that he'd call me if there is a no show for say someone in group 4 and I could get the first dose at a short notice, he told me to always keep my phone charged as you never know when you'll get a call. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Spoke to my GP yesterday, got the all clear for Alpha-1 which is great and he told me they are currently vaccinating cohort 4 and will be going on to 7 soon. But he also added that he'd call me if there is a no show for say someone in group 4 and I could get the first dose at a short notice, he told me to always keep my phone charged as you never know when you'll get a call. :)

Great that theres finally some daylight.

Did any 64 year olds get an appointment yet, registered my Mother in Cork today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Great to hear, at least you know you're on the list as the uncertainty is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Spike Protein Shedding, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Did any 64 year olds get an appointment yet, registered my Mother in Cork today?

I registered my mum (67) for Cork last Saturday- she’s heard nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The health minister said today there was a '99% chance' there would be vaccines for everyone in Germany by start of June.

He was at a conference today where he denied those reports. He said that they would not be able to offer vaccines to everyone in early June but they do plan on opening it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Any idea of details about this. Like are they going to achieve this by using the Sputnik Vaccine?
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2C90WZ

I have no issue with the idea of Sputnik but it would be sort of sickening if after all the dismissal of Ireland striking other deals both on here and in government, other EU countries unlock quicker because they aren't afraid of being seen as "bad Europeans".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Update
    She just received a text for her appointment on Monday so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Any idea of details about this. Like are they going to achieve this by using the Sputnik Vaccine?
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2C90WZ

I have no issue with the idea of Sputnik but it would be sort of sickening if after all the dismissal of Ireland striking other deals both on here and in government, other EU countries unlock quicker because they aren't afraid of being seen as "bad Europeans".

Bild, the tabloid, interviewed government sources. They were told that Germany plans to lift the vaccine prioritisation restrictions as earlier as end of May meaning that vaccinations would open up to everyone. I saw no mention of Sputnik nor did I see a reference to everyone being vaccinated in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I registered my mum (67) for Cork last Saturday- she’s heard nothing

That is quite surprising as everyone I know in Cork got an appointment pretty quickly. Unless you are in rural West or North Cork. They are still waiting for local MVCs to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone know what to do if a person cannot attend on the date given for the vaccine. A relative in the latest cohort has an important consultant appointment that might clash with the vaccination date.

I have done a search but it is not clear. Perhaps the text message has an option to change the date, although I don't know anyone who has received a text message to check with them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Update
    She just received a text for her appointment on Monday so happy days.

Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

There isn't enough AZ in the country (and won't be enough until we get that delivery on 3 May) to get through all the 65-69 age group, so its understandable that many people haven't been given an appointment yet. It may be the case that they won't be sent a text until after the delivery on 3 May - given on how unreliable AZ have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

So I got informed from HSE Health Professional today that AZ vaccines for healthcare workers are still being spaced at 12 weeks not 16, regardless of age. I've spoken to a number of colleagues and even one of the local coordinators who have no idea... How is it remotely imaginable that no one on the ground knows whats going on. I'm at the end of my tether with this shíte!

The phone call with HSE Health Pro ended with "you'll get at least 24 hours notice before your appointment" which made me laugh at least. It could be this month, next month or maybe even next year but at least I'll get a minimum 24 hours notice :pac: :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement