Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My parents second dose went all to plan today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The health minister said today there was a '99% chance' there would be vaccines for everyone in Germany by start of June.

Would it not be better if this was Ireland rather than Germany.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Miike wrote: »
    So I got informed from HSE Health Professional today that AZ vaccines for healthcare workers are still being spaced at 12 weeks not 16, regardless of age. I've spoken to a number of colleagues and even one of the local coordinators who have no idea... How is it remotely imaginable that no one on the ground knows whats going on. I'm at the end of my tether with this shíte!

The phone call with HSE Health Pro ended with "you'll get at least 24 hours notice before your appointment" which made me laugh at least. It could be this month, next month or maybe even next year but at least I'll get a minimum 24 hours notice :pac: :rolleyes:

This opening for 63-64 year olds is largely public relations, I cannot see how they have enough AZ to start doing these in any substantial way for a fortnight, if they do the 65-69 year olds first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Micky 32 wrote: »

Just reading the figures, is that saying of the 4% who developed symptoms, 98.7% survived? i.e. the rate of death for someone who contracted SARS-COV2 was 0.013% ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Unreal. With the rapid developement and deployment of the vaccines, I think we (maybe not so much on here, but the general public) are guilty of taking the vaccines for granted at times. I know they have been the culmination of many years of work, but the last year has been nothing short of a scientific miracle. The vaccines are working and as more data emerges, their potency becomes ever greater. We're getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Unreal. With the rapid developement and deployment of the vaccines, I think we (maybe not so much on here, but the general public) are guilty of taking the vaccines for granted at times. I know they have been the culmination of many years of work, but the last year has been nothing short of a scientific miracle. The vaccines are working and as more data emerges, their potency becomes ever greater. We're getting there!

If you really want to get just a micro-lesson of the scale of global cooperation even between rival pharma companies in the face of COVID19 theres a Ted Talks Daily podcast episode with Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw that went live yesterday or the day before (all my days are melding together). I really suggest giving it a listen! Its genuinely nothing short of phenomenal the walls this has broken down in that industry.

Edit for link: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0Kwo9DL0dne01CTtvduj4O?si=5b9c6c43b56e4483

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

AZ getting a lot of bad press, as far as i could establish the rates of blood clots per million for the various vaccines is
    Pfizer 4
    Moderna 5
    Johnson 6
    AZ 8

Now it sound really bad if you say AZ is twice as bad...but its 4 more per million. Context is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

secman wrote: »
    AZ getting a lot of bad press, as far as i could establish the rates of blood clots per million for the various vaccines is
    Pfizer 4
    Moderna 5
    Johnson 6
    AZ 8

Now it sound really bad if you say AZ is twice as bad...but its 4 more per million. Context is needed here.

Maybe compare those rates with CVST clotting and see if there's a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Pfizer 4
    Moderna 5
    Johnson 6
    AZ 8

EMA report today states its 1 per 100k for serious blot clots accompanied with low platelets and this could change with further data regarding Oxford AstraZeneca 10 per 1m.

The UK last week said it 4 per million. They increased this to 7.9 per 1m yesterday with a cases fatality rate of 19%. Ft reports the UK may increase the restriction to 40+ next week as more data comes forward. Euro countries were first to flag this issue so I wouldn't be surprised if the UK rate increases as its investigated further .

Also the MHRA said 2 serious blood clots appeared after 10m doses of Pfizer but crucially it wasn't accompanied with low platelets like AstraZeneca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The CDC are investigating 2 more cases, both in women, linked to J&J. 1 of the women has died and 1 is being treated. The woman that died was in her 50s.

No matter what NIAC decide next week it is likely that the situation will evolve over the next month. 9 out of 10 cases in men is interesting. We did see a bias towards women with AZ but a lot of that could be accounted for by the fact that more women were vaccinated with AZ.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas-woman-hospitalized-after-jj-shot-with-similar-symptoms-blood-clot-cases-2021-04-23/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Maybe that’s because EU governments have an issue with needlessly killing their citizens?

Uk government is responsible for at least 70000 needless Covid deaths, have you forgotten?

What about the many thousands of people that died in January and February here because of a stupid decision by government about a meaningful Christmas! Anyone with a brain knew that was a crazy decision to open up. Ruined all their good work.

We’re still locked down months later!

Astra Zeneca not sounding as bad now eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Maybe compare those rates with CVST clotting and see if there's a difference?

So what are the stats for CVST ? , are numbers for those included in the overall blood clots figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the Moderna vaccine also mRNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Widescreen wrote: »
    What about the many thousands of people that died in January and February here because of a stupid decision by government about a meaningful Christmas! Anyone with a brain knew that was a crazy decision to open up. Ruined all their good work.

We’re still locked down months later!

Astra Zeneca not sounding as bad now eh?

TBF none of us knew the transmissibility of the British Variant, none of us knew it was dominant strain in Britain.

So what are the stats for CVST ? , are numbers for those included in the overall blood clots figures ?

For AZ it's 10 in a million
    For J&J it's 1.9 in a million
    Moderna & Pfizer haven't reported any CVST with low platelets (or TTS as the CDC are calling it now)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sweden have decided not to bother with the J&J. They recommended that it be only used on over 65s, but since these will all be done in the next few weeks and there is very little J&J available until later they reckon it isn't worth the trouble of using it.
    Ireland could be in more or less a similar situation if they have an over 60 restriction.
    And the New York Times reports that some states are beginning to close their big vaccination centres owing to lack of demand. Those people who haven't been done need to be serviced in other ways.

No demand for J&J or no demand in general? Would be great if US were finished hoovering up all the Moderna supplies, we might get deliveries earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

US CDC has just this second recommended approval of J&J for people over the age of 18 with a result of 10 for, 4 against and 1 abstention

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

To add to above, side effect warning is to be added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

To add to above, side effect warning is to be added
    Anyone in cohort 7 who has got vacinated yet or does anyone have an idea when cohort 7 will start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

revelman wrote: »
    That is quite surprising as everyone I know in Cork got an appointment pretty quickly. Unless you are in rural West or North Cork. They are still waiting for local MVCs to open up.

Nope, she’s in Cork city suburbs. I might ring the HSE number tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone in cohort 7 who has got vacinated yet or does anyone have an idea when cohort 7 will start?

I'd be in cohort 7 based on my last check up in December with my GP but haven't been called or anything yet. I'm giving it til first week of May and then I'll ring them if I've heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd be in cohort 7 based on my last check up in December with my GP but haven't been called or anything yet. I'm giving it til first week of May and then I'll ring them if I've heard nothing.

Did the GP tell you were in cohort 7? I asked them a few weeks ago. By HSE definition I would be but concerned there's an issue with their admin I rang to confirm a few weeks ago but was told they were only doing over 80s from the secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The US NIAC equivalent has just voted to make the J&J vaccine available to everyone aged 18 and up. The Twitter thread below has a summary of the discussions. One of the most interesting points made is that as the pandemic recedes, so does the risk profile, and they may need to change their recommendation over time. One of the most hotly debated options was to attach a warning label, but this was largely shot down as they felt it would lead to vaccine hesitancy.

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1385697164484034562

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Fingers crossed we can follow suit with allowing it with warning attached... i do feel the one shot vaccine will be a game changer once a good supply kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the Moderna vaccine also mRNA?

Yes, has similar efficacy to Pfizer as well (90%+).

harr wrote: »
    Fingers crossed we can follow suit with allowing it with warning attached... i do feel the one shot vaccine will be a game changer once a good supply kicks in

J-J.png
    I wonder if that's the extra age breakdown NIAC was waiting on.
    There's been no confirmed cases in men.
    AZ has an averaged incidence rate of 10 per million across all ages & gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Does anyone know what to do if a person cannot attend on the date given for the vaccine. A relative in the latest cohort has an important consultant appointment that might clash with the vaccination date.

I have done a search but it is not clear. Perhaps the text message has an option to change the date, although I don't know anyone who has received a text message to check with them. Thanks.

Phone the helpline 1850 24 1850. They are very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've been told the last week in April and Early May hopefully.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement