Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Kind of ignored Covid news for the most part this week. How are we doing on the variant front, has that red herring been put to bed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Today in BC, they recommended that we bring the age for AZ down to 30...and the same day, we find out that we have almost run out of it.

Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

With Pfizer in the over 60s, how much does just the first shot reduce the chances of hospitalisation if they catch Covid between shots 1 and 2?

All I'm finding on Google is "65% efficiency after one shot and 90% after both"

Does the above cover hospitalisation/badly getting Covid stats?

I remember reading that getting single shot J&J practically reduces any danger of hospitalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Russman

Wolf359f wrote: »
    J-J.png
    I wonder if that's the extra age breakdown NIAC was waiting on.
    There's been no confirmed cases in men.
    AZ has an averaged incidence rate of 10 per million across all ages & gender.

As a non medical person, it looks from those numbers that the obvious cut-off would be 50 if we were to be very cautious. That’s looking at those risks profiles relative to each other, not relative to what’s an acceptable risk in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Valhallapt wrote: »
    TBF none of us knew the transmissibility of the British Variant, none of us knew it was dominant strain in Britain.

Fair enough, but think back to Italy at the very start, that was frightening and our leaders should have realised how dangerous and transmissible even the original strain of the virus was. No excuse for what they did at Christmas in my book. Totally irresponsible. Too late now, but hopefully a tribunal of enquiry will deal with it at some point and bring people to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Russman wrote: »
    As a non medical person, it looks from those numbers that the obvious cut-off would be 50 if we were to be very cautious. That’s looking at those risks profiles relative to each other, not relative to what’s an acceptable risk in general.

It's very hard to know. That's only for females. There's been no known confirmed cases in males and a pretty much equal split of doses between male and female.
    I don't think they will want to go down the line of restrictions for females, but maybe women will feel more comfortable and safer getting an mRNA vaccine.

It's definitely worth them taking the weekend to consider in light of this new breakdown. As the bulk of J&J is due June, if they restrict to 50+, you may have 40+ getting vaccinated ahead of 50+
    If they do restrict it to 50+ I'd like them to say that's based on current evidence and they will review it in time (as some other EU countries & the US are going with all 18+) if could turn out 40-50 having the same incidence rate as 50-64 etc. CI would be pretty wide with only 2 & 3 cases in those groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Russman

It's very hard to know. That's only for females. There's been no known confirmed cases in males and a pretty much equal split of doses between male and female.
    I don't think they will want to go down the line of restrictions for females, but maybe women will feel more comfortable and safer getting an mRNA vaccine.

It's definitely worth them taking the weekend to consider in light of this new breakdown. As the bulk of J&J is due June, if they restrict to 50+, you may have 40+ getting vaccinated ahead of 50+
    If they do restrict it to 50+ I'd like them to say that's based on current evidence and they will review it in time (as some other EU countries & the US are going with all 18+) if could turn out 40-50 having the same incidence rate as 50-64 etc. CI would be pretty wide with only 2 & 3 cases in those groups.

Oh absolutely, there’s pros and cons. The fact that the bulk of J&J doesn’t arrive til June is a massive complicating factor. If they restrict it to, say, 50, they've either got to hold off doing the 50s til the J&J arrives and plough on with the 40s (most unlikely I’d say), or stay with the age cohorts and have a lot of the 50s done with Pfizer by the time J&J arrives which would probably leave a lot J&J useless to us. Same issue would probably arise to a slightly lesser extent even if they restricted to 40, if the Pfizer deliveries kept up or increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    With Pfizer in the over 60s, how much does just the first shot reduce the chances of hospitalisation if they catch Covid between shots 1 and 2?

All I'm finding on Google is "65% efficiency after one shot and 90% after both"

Does the above cover hospitalisation/badly getting Covid stats?

I remember reading that getting single shot J&J practically reduces any danger of hospitalisation

In broad terms, it's 65% less chance of infection if you are in contact with the virus, but if you still get infected hospitalisation and severe illness is significantly reduced also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Did the GP tell you were in cohort 7? I asked them a few weeks ago. By HSE definition I would be but concerned there's an issue with their admin I rang to confirm a few weeks ago but was told they were only doing over 80s from the secretary.

No, but I'm over BMI of 35 based on my last check up in December so GP has that on record, so I'm assuming she'll contact me.

If not, I'll contact her after May weekend as I should be in that group (had a BMI of like 37 back in December).

Falling 4-5% behind European countries. Amongst the bottom 6 countries in Europe. Vaccine rollout here has been a shambles and I can't understand how the media are not calling this out. Who knows what NIAC will do on Monday regarding the Jansen Vaccine even though FDA have approved for over 18s. This country is petrified by litigation and swamped in bureauracy.

At the moment 60% of adults in NI have recieved a vaccine while it is 24% here. Oceans apart.

The data in Shane Hastings vaccine tracker says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Breaking : the CDC and FDA authorise Johnson & Johnson for general usage following the earlier panel recommendation this evening

https://apnews.com/article/health-science-business-europe-coronavirus-vaccine-839bf6a7c857b25df04078402b4d7b8a

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Falling 4-5% behind European countries. Amongst the bottom 6 countries in Europe. Vaccine rollout here has been a shambles and I can't understand how the media are not calling this out. Who knows what NIAC will do on Monday regarding the Jansen Vaccine even though FDA have approved for over 18s. This country is petrified by litigation and swamped in bureauracy.

At the moment 60% of adults in NI have recieved a vaccine while it is 24% here. Oceans apart.

1) no we're not
    2) no we're not

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

This opening for 63-64 year olds is largely public relations, I cannot see how they have enough AZ to start doing these in any substantial way for a fortnight, if they do the 65-69 year olds first.

I have been one of the biggest critics of the rollout. However, I registered my Father aged 64 this morning on the portal. He got a text a few hours later with an appointment date of Thursday.

Great news for us. I hope its not a one off and represents the HSE finally pulling the finger out.

1) no we're not
    2) no we're not

What countries in the EU would be behind us per 100 people in doses given?

1) no we're not
    2) no we're not

Yes we are, look at data with v similar lag times. Post your data if you're so confident.

If you want a headstart look at Shane Hastings data from his covid vaccine tracker which pulls data from official sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What countries in the EU would be behind us per 100 people in doses given?

Slovakia
    Poland
    Cyprus
    Czechia
    Romania
    Croatia
    Latvia
    Bulgaria

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

That's not that much though : that's literally only one extra person out of 20 getting a dose.

Slovakia
    Poland
    Cyprus
    Czechia
    Romania
    Croatia
    Latvia
    Bulgaria

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

So from in the top 6 to 9th last, that's good for you?
    We're doing well among eastern EU countries.

If we slip to maybe 6th or 4th last the the EU, that's still ok cause we're not last?

Any reason you're using statista.com as a source rather than the more popular ourworldindata?

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's not that much though : that's literally only one extra person out of 20 getting a dose.

It's badly phrased, for every 2 people we jab, other's jab 3.

It's badly phrased, for every 2 people we jab, other's jab 3.

I don't think that's right.....that would be 50% extra.

The correct correlation would be if that we have vaccinated five people out of every 20, some other EU states have managed to vaccinate six people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

FrStone wrote: »
    I have been one of the biggest critics of the rollout. However, I registered my Father aged 64 this morning on the portal. He got a text a few hours later with an appointment date of Thursday.

Great news for us. I hope its not a one off and represents the HSE finally pulling the finger out.

Perhaps there is some regional variation.

If you look at the vaccine dashboard, until Wednesday (3 days) they had done 13,862 of the 65-69s (about 200,000 in total). Even if they accelerate the pace they would be doing over 65s for the next couple of weeks. Perhaps it is a lucky dip when you register and 64 year olds are as likely to be picked as 69 year olds.

So from in the top 6 to 9th last, that's good for you?
    We're doing well among eastern EU countries.

Is there any particular reason for not comparing Ireland to Eastern European countries? Ireland has one of the best vaccine rollouts in the world but I can't think of a single thing anyone in Ireland has done to deserve it. A very entitled attitude has been on display since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Myself and my husband (in our 30s) both got vaccinated yesterday from gp. We would have fallen into cohort 4 a number of years ago for bmi but not anymore. It was absolutely jointed there absolutely fabulous to see so many people there. Another friend got a call from the same practice but she had only been to that gp twice about 3yrs ago. They seems to be absolutely flying through people in that practice vs the other gps in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Times update on the vaccine programme here.

- Ireland is set to receive a large delivery of 165,000 AstraZeneca vaccines next week that had earlier been postponed until May.
    - Expectation that NIAC will authorise J&J next week. Encouragement from Germany’s decision not to impose limits on the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
    - Continuing unease in Government at what one Minister described as the “lack of urgency” by NIAC. “If we’ve 40,000 [Johnson & Johnson doses] in the fridge, how can you ethically or morally justify not giving them out?”.
    - Government will unveil the reopening measures next Thursday or Friday, after a special Cabinet meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

JTMan wrote: »

Article also implies that NIAC might change the age restriction on AZ. It would be great news if AZ becomes available for 50+ and J&J for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

JTMan wrote: »

- Continuing unease in Government at what one Minister described as the “lack of urgency” by NIAC. “If we’ve 40,000 [Johnson & Johnson doses] in the fridge, how can you ethically or morally justify not giving them out?”.

This is incredibly frustrating. Whatever about an abundance of caution, if you have to make a decision that affects tens of thousands of people, I'd prefer they not drag their feet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Sanjuro wrote: »
    This is incredibly frustrating. Whatever about an abundance of caution, if you have to make a decision that affects tens of thousands of people, I'd prefer they not drag their feet on it.

It’s not like they are waiting on more information. They are literally waiting on all other countries to make a decision so they can copy what the majority do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

NIAC, NPHET. 2 teams who have the Irish people by the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Vicxas wrote: »
    NIAC, NPHET. 2 teams who have the Irish people by the balls

What the fcuk do we need NIAC for when NPHET are there more needless administration jobs for the boys bullsh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The thing with J&J is that iirc, wasn't there was talk about the plan for J&J being to use it on vulnerable groups who would be less likely to come back for a second dose? I can see that adding to a reluctance to put any limits on it's usage, when it's forming an important part of the vaccination roll out plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement