Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

aisling86 wrote: »
    Myself and my husband (in our 30s) both got vaccinated yesterday from gp. We would have fallen into cohort 4 a number of years ago for bmi but not anymore. It was absolutely jointed there absolutely fabulous to see so many people there. Another friend got a call from the same practice but she had only been to that gp twice about 3yrs ago. They seems to be absolutely flying through people in that practice vs the other gps in the town.
    So you got the vaccine in the high risk category despite no longer being considered high risk? Correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

adam240610 wrote: »
    So you got the vaccine in the high risk category despite no longer being considered high risk? Correct me if I'm wrong

Seems so. BMI currently not over 40.

A local village have been vaccinated a few weeks now everyone not just cohorts seems to be all dependent on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

How come we never heard of NPHET and NIAC before covid ?
    Why werent they banging their drums when people were left on trolleys in hospitals and waiting lists for years to get operations done by the HSE-never heard them trying to sort out one of the worst health services in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 31,088 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Early cohort 7?

Cohort 4 is very high risk.
    Cohort 7 is high risk.

edit: cohort 7 is BMI >35, 4 is >40 so that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Tbf nobody should refuse the vaccine on that basis. When offered, take it. It works better for everyone in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,088 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's interesting that cohort 7 has started since that wasn't planned until mid May.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gps-warned-of-significant-changes-to-vaccination-programme-1.4538270

Although the vaccine dashboard does show a tiny amount of cohort 7, I'd assumed it was just vials being used up rather than planned appointments.

I'd say Aisling got lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Tbf nobody should refuse the vaccine on that basis. When offered, take it. It works better for everyone in the long run.

Except for the person legitimately on the list who would have gotten the last dose that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Lumen wrote: »
    It's interesting that cohort 7 has started since that wasn't planned until mid May.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gps-warned-of-significant-changes-to-vaccination-programme-1.4538270

Although the vaccine dashboard does show a tiny amount of cohort 7, I'd assumed it was just vials being used up rather than planned appointments.

I'd say Aisling got lucky!

Looking at the people there yesterday it felt like half the town was there. Was fabulous to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Level 42 wrote: »
    How come we never heard of NPHET and NIAC before covid ?
    Why werent they banging their drums when people were left on trolleys in hospitals and waiting lists for years to get operations done by the HSE-never heard them trying to sort out one of the worst health services in the world

Well NIAC are the National Immunisation Advisory Committee, that’s got nothing to do with hospital waiting lists or trolleys!
    NIAC’s work includes reviewing the development and availability of new vaccines and vaccine technologies, assessing licensed vaccines and developing immunisation guidelines for their use in Ireland. NIAC develops and disseminates the Immunisation Guidelines for Ireland and advocates for best immunisation practices.

The “ National Public Health Emergency Team for COVID-19” was only established in Jan 2020 to deal with Covid.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Health_Emergency_Team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Anyone get their shot at the Radisson, seen people mention long queues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1385875677484888072?s=19

Think they said 39000 on Thursday so thats 80000 in 2 days good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Except for the person legitimately on the list who would have gotten the last dose that day.

And 100% accurate rollout isn’t realistic. It would take a lot more input and inefficiency for somebody to ‘come clean’ and to reassign someone else. Take it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish Times update on the vaccine programme here.

- Ireland is set to receive a large delivery of 165,000 AstraZeneca vaccines next week that had earlier been postponed until May.
    - Expectation that NIAC will authorise J&J next week. Encouragement from Germany’s decision not to impose limits on the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
    - Continuing unease in Government at what one Minister described as the “lack of urgency” by NIAC. “If we’ve 40,000 [Johnson & Johnson doses] in the fridge, how can you ethically or morally justify not giving them out?”.
    - Government will unveil the reopening measures next Thursday or Friday, after a special Cabinet meeting.

It's a pity this minister wouldn't show a bit of backbone and publically talk about it rather than whispering stuff to journalists. Put the questions to NIAC and they might speed up their act. But as pointed out by another posted, they're just waiting for other countries to make a decision and copying that, of course at the upper end of the scale to show 'an abundance of caution'. Thankfully the Germans put no age restriction so we might be alright.

It would also be great if the age limit for AZ was changed to 50 but it would a lot more work rearranging for the HSE. The problem an the moment with only 60-69 getting AZ is we can't afford to give this group anything but AZ as we need to use that supply. The supply from AZ is so uncertain that some of this group could end up waiting a while for a first dose while younger less at risk people will pass them out which would probably lead to more deaths than the age restrictions were supposed to protect.

I have issues with NIACs original decision on AZ and how they came to it. I don't think they should have been taking the current rate of infection in the country as a factor which is what they did, saying we've a relatively low rate at the moment. But the reason we have a low rate is because of very restrictive lockdown on us all year. This shouldn't be seen as something we can just stretch on any further than absolutely needs to be, it feels like it's forgotten by a lot of people just how harsh our restrictions are as we've been living with them so long people have become numb to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

41,337 doses, best daily report yet. With MVCs not fully utilised yet, it shows there's plenty capacity in the system to hit targets. Just need the supply to come as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting WSJ podcast interview with Dr. Özlem Türeci who is the chief medical officer of BioNTech.

She says:
    - It could be the case that boosters are needed once a year or every 18 months.
    - First, we need to understand how long immunity lasts with the two shots.
    - They see, and expect, a waning of immune responses after a period of time.
    - More data needed to know when waning is at a level that people would benefit from a booster.
    - Cancer mRNA Vaccines will not be preventative, they will be for those who already have cancer. The cancer mRNA Vaccines will be custom made for each individual. Patient with cancer gets a genetic reading and then BioNTech will send a highly-customised vaccine back 4-5 weeks later.
    - She celebrated the BioNTech vaccine getting approval with tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hococop wrote: »
    Anyone get their shot at the Radisson, seen people mention long queues?
    Not the Radisson, but I know a couple of people (Galway/Sligo) have mentioned having to queue and be in the vaccination centre for hours, which seems pretty poor..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Does anyone know if the MVCs are running at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Heading to Citywest this evening, my wife who registered last Monday is getting vaccinated today.
    I logged on 1 minute after midnight and registered myself, was just curious if portal was up to speed as my age group was open for registration from today. I believe the Citywest centre is running like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

revelman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the MVCs are running at the weekend?

I'm in the Helix now, my mother has an appointment here after signing up through the portal last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1385875677484888072?s=20

I'm going to be optimistic here, hitting the 1m first doses before Friday is going to be huge in any easing of restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

my ma is 67, registered her last week. Still awaiting appointment. She lives in Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I registered my dad last weekend 66, still no appointment. Has anyone north or inner city Dublin received appointments yet in the over 65 category? I could easily drive him to any of the Dublin MVC’s but it seems you don’t get to specify that you can travel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

Jane1012 wrote: »
    I registered my dad last weekend 66, still no appointment. Has anyone north or inner city Dublin received appointments yet in the over 65 category? I could easily drive him to any of the Dublin MVC’s but it seems you don’t get to specify that you can travel etc

The system gave no choices - just put in the details etc and then up pops awaiting appointment.

Its frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Sparko wrote: »
    I'm in the Helix now, my mother has an appointment here after signing up through the portal last week.

That's great to hear. Does it seem busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

mcgragger wrote: »
    The system gave no choices - just put in the details etc and then up pops awaiting appointment.

Its frustrating

Yes, while I appreciate they can’t let people pick where to get vaccinated, it stings a bit people getting appointments within hours if they live in other locations. I assume they haven’t opened croke park yet as an MVC and they just have him on hold until then. I’m due to register my mam tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Evil_g wrote: »
    That's great to hear. Does it seem busy?

Pretty busy. There's a fairly steady stream of cars coming into the carpark, I've been here since about 10.30. Hopefully they'll do good numbers today nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=502588836

So another 50k 1st doses should see cohort 3 (over 70's) half complete.

280k of 2nd doses will also be given to this cohort over the next 4/5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Ficheall wrote: »
    Not the Radisson, but I know a couple of people (Galway/Sligo) have mentioned having to queue and be in the vaccination centre for hours, which seems pretty poor..

Cheers my mam getting her shot today, just wondering if she is there at 5 to one ( down for 5 past one) does she have to wait behind people that decided to queue up behind people that decided to turn up an hour early?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Looks like a finalised agreement between the EC and Valneva for vaccines is not going to happen afterall.
    The company said earlier Wednesday that it would “deprioritise” centralised talks with the European Commission to supply its coronavirus shot across the 27-nation EU, switching instead to “a country by country basis”.

Chief executive Thomas Lingelbach complained of a lack of “meaningful progress” in talks with the European Commission.

The company said it would instead focus on “those European Union member states and interested parties outside the EU” that expressed interest.

I guess the EU simply won't need the doses by Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Interesting article posted to another thread about the investigation of possible links between the Pfizer vaccine and myocarditis in young men.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-said-probing-link-between-pfizer-shot-and-heart-problem-in-men-under-30/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement