Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

aisling86 wrote: »
    Seems so. BMI currently not over 40.

A local village have been vaccinated a few weeks now everyone not just cohorts seems to be all dependent on location.

Well done on getting your BMI below 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Walk in clinics opened in London where high cases are appearing .Should we be doing the same to dampen it down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Reading this thread makes me wonder are older people being infantilised. The number of people registering their "ageing" parents amazes me. Come on! They are between 60 and 70 at most. Surely they are not all incapable of making a phone call on their own and answering a few simple questions. It reminds me of parents who continue treating their children as babies when they can do lots of stuff independently. That doesn't end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Walk in clinics opened in London where high cases are appearing .Should we be doing the same to dampen it down ?

Testing or vaccine? We're already doing pop up testing centres and we just don't have the supply right now for pop up vaccination centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

muckisluck wrote: »
    Reading this thread makes me wonder are older people being infantilised. The number of people registering their "ageing" parents amazes me. Come on! They are between 60 and 70 at most. Surely they are not all incapable of making a phone call on their own and answering a few simple questions. It reminds me of parents who continue treating their children as babies when they can do lots of stuff independently. That doesn't end well.

If you can register online I'd say its far easier than getting parents to phone hse live that will have how many thousand calls and could be waiting a while.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Testing or vaccine? We're already doing pop up testing centres and we just don't have the supply right now for pop up vaccination centres.

Vaccines . She walked in and got a vaccine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Well we are in that age group and every single person I know in my family , neighbours and friends were quite capable of doing it themselves online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Now that's a lovely number.

I’m normally critical of the HSE, but fair dues that’s a good result. Need to hit and build upon that every day now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

wadacrack wrote: »

So 5+ weeks on from a single dose of Pfizer it's effectiveness drops. Be interesting to see if they have an updated paper to include the 12 week dosing schedule to see where it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I guess children are simply worried about their parents and want to ensure they are registered correctly and promptly. I did it this morning and am happy it's done now.

I understand your general point but have no issue for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I drove through my local village a few minutes ago and the amount of elderly people out having an ice cream or takeaway sandwich was lovely to see. All feeling safe now fully vaccinated. I’m not going to lie it brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

63 year olds registering today .
    I’m optimistic now that 40-45 might be registered early June
    I’ll go cracked if I contract it in the meantime :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

km79 wrote: »
    63 year olds registering today .
    I’m optimistic now that 40-45 might be registered early June
    I’ll go cracked if I contract it in the meantime :(

Will we not just keep adding years every few days to the portal so everyone gets registered?

Then administer the vaccines in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

TheDoctor wrote: »

Will we not just keep adding years every few days to the portal so everyone gets registered?

Yep ideally but maybe that would cause knock on issues.

Such as a person registering while in one age bracket but by the time they are due a vaccine are in another one.
    People moving home and hence being close to another vaccine centre
    People dying:eek:

And alot more that i can't think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

TheDoctor wrote: »

Possible yes, but they would be anxious not to have too big a gap between registration and appointment - I suspect they wouldn't want a situation where people were registering and having to wait six weeks or something.

Online is absolutely the way to go but if I had said that I would have expected a raft of replies complaining about internet access, no pc etc. My infuriation is entirely to do with the ageism involved in the infantilising of our older population. I registered my self online last week

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    If you can register online I'd say its far easier than getting parents to phone hse live that will have how many thousand calls and could be waiting a while.
    Online is absolutely the way to go but if I had said that I would have expected a raft of replies complaining about internet access, no pc etc. My infuriation is entirely to do with the ageism involved in the infantilising of our older population. I registered my self online last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭adam240610

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So 5+ weeks on from a single dose of Pfizer it's effectiveness drops. Be interesting to see if they have an updated paper to include the 12 week dosing schedule to see where it goes.

Do you know how confidence intervals work? You can't say that the effectiveness drops after five weeks from this chart

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭JPup

Wolf359f wrote: »

There could be small sample sizes there. I’d be wary of reading too much into that without more data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

wadacrack wrote: »

That graphic might mean something to some, but it means nothing to me! What is it saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    That graphic might mean something to some, but it means nothing to me! What is it saying?
    Looks like people are less cautious the second week after vaccination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone registering their parents is surely doing it with the full consent and cooperation of the parents.

Thought it was just me ! I have no idea what tye numbers mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I registered my Dad on the vaccine portal on the first day it opened, and Mam registered on Sunday night. Neither of them had got any word of an appointment all week.

However, in the mean-time their GP practise opened up their own portal to vaccinate over 60s (I think, could be 65-69), and both of them are getting jabbed this coming Friday.

Absolutely thrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I registered my Dad on the vaccine portal on the first day it opened, and Mam registered on Sunday night. Neither of them had got any word of an appointment all week.

However, in the mean-time their GP practise opened up their own portal to vaccinate over 60s (I think, could be 65-69), and both of them are getting jabbed this coming Friday.

Absolutely thrilled.

The GP practice opened their own portal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The longer you go after you have been vaccinated, the more immune you become. After four weeks, your chances of being hospitalised if you contract Covid are very low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement