Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    That graphic might mean something to some, but it means nothing to me! What is it saying?

It shows the effectiveness of a single shot of AZ or Pfiizer regarding hospitalisation over time. E.g. 35-41 days after receiving a shot, AZ offers 97% protection against hospitalisation and Pfizer offers 78%.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I registered my Dad on the vaccine portal on the first day it opened, and Mam registered on Sunday night. Neither of them had got any word of an appointment all week.

However, in the mean-time their GP practise opened up their own portal to vaccinate over 60s (I think, could be 65-69), and both of them are getting jabbed this coming Friday.

Absolutely thrilled.

I’m genuinely delighted for your parents. But I worry a bit about the overall approach at a national level. Anecdotally, I’ve heard of people in their sixties without underlying conditions getting vaccinated at their GP in rural areas in the last few days. AZ has to go to people over 60. Each person in their sixties who gets Pfizer from their GP means others will have to wait longer. I’m not criticising GPs - I just think there is a lack of joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

It shows the effectiveness of a single shot of AZ or Pfiizer regarding hospitalisation over time. E.g. 35-41 days after receiving a shot, AZ offers 97% protection against hospitalisation and Pfizer offers 78%.

But with very wide confidence intervals. Best way to interpret that is that both vaccines will very quickly give you excellent protection from serious disease rather than focussing too much on the specific numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

revelman wrote: »
    I’m genuinely delighted for your parents. But I worry a bit about the overall approach at a national level. Anecdotally, I’ve heard of people in their sixties without underlying conditions getting vaccinated at their GP in rural areas in the last few days. AZ has to go to people over 60. Each person in their sixties who gets Pfizer from their GP means others will have to wait longer. I’m not criticising GPs - I just think there is a lack of joined up thinking.

They are getting AZ.

As far as I know, the GP practise is only starting next week when the supply of AZ arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JPup wrote: »
    But with very wide confidence intervals. Best way to interpret that is that both vaccines will very quickly give you excellent protection from serious disease rather than focussing too much on the specific numbers.

Yup. The results show that there is erratic variance for the first 41 days. But it looks like that you get good protection from a single shot - especially form AZ if the trajectory continues past the timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

revelman wrote: »

I thought the idea of the national portal was to make getting a vaccine from your GP redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

adam240610 wrote: »
    Do you know how confidence intervals work? You can't say that the effectiveness drops after five weeks from this chart

They are using a 95% CI, so they can safely say AZ effectiveness increases week on week, but using the same logic, Pfizer appears to drop can't be said?
    Yes they are wide CI bands, but for Pfizer, the bands for days 28-34 & 35-41 don't even overlap.

Anyways, they should have updated data from 12 week intervals that could update and get a more accurate result.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

They are getting AZ.

As far as I know, the GP practise is only starting next week when the supply of AZ arrives.

Interesting. I had no idea that AZ was being supplied to GPs in this way. I thought that the MVCs were worried about having enough supplies...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Strazdas wrote: »
    I thought the idea of the national portal was to make getting a vaccine from your GP redundant?

AFAIK, the national portal is the demand management tool for processing vaccs through the MVCs alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As far as I know GPs are meant to have Pfizer and vaccinate Cohort 4 and 7 at the minute

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    AFAIK, the national portal is the demand management tool for processing vaccs through the MVCs alone.

But if you're on the portal and are registered, you are not supposed to be receiving a vaccine from anywhere else, isn't that right?

Strazdas wrote: »
    But if you're on the portal and are registered, you are not supposed to be receiving a vaccine from anywhere else, isn't that right?

I would have thought so . My understanding is that 60-70 should be vaccinate in MVCs and GPs attending to over 70 and the high risk groups

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would have thought so . My understanding is that 60-70 should be vaccinate in MVCs and GPs attending to over 70 and the high risk groups

That's the way I understand it too. One group is supposed to get their vaccines from MVCs and the other from GPs : but they're not supposed to be on both lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭LimerickGray

where do the GP get the names for the high risk groups? how do they classify them? Its the hospital consultants that make this decision in my case and he just said I'm putting you on my priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

There are more and more reports of long queues at the MVCs. Surely that can be sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

crossman47 wrote: »
    There are more and more reports of long queues at the MVCs. Surely that can be sorted out?

From today or in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

crossman47 wrote: »

Most MVC's aren't running at max capacity either. I wonder whats the bottleneck. It's hardly lack of vaccinators?

where do the GP get the names for the high risk groups? how do they classify them? Its the hospital consultants that make this decision in my case and he just said I'm putting you on my priority list.

I am not sure about all GPs but know that a family member rang him to say she was group 7 . He said his receptionists already had made lists of patients and were sorting into groups

TheDoctor wrote: »
    From today or in general?

Reports today from Aviva and City West. Part of problem appears to be people arriving far too early and forming a queue. They are not told to wait until their appointed time.

Miike wrote: »
    Most MVC's aren't running at max capacity either. I wonder whats the bottleneck. It's hardly lack of vaccinators?

Its people turning up to early for appointments is my guess .
    I arrived in City west and no queue , no wait . My friend was 3 hours after me and queues were long for every stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I heard there is a shortage of vaccinators for the punchestown MVC alright. My wife applied to be a vaccinator 8 weeks ago... but I’ve done that rant already....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just guessing.

Social distancing requirements make queues seem longer.

People arriving long before their scheduled time.

Too many people being booked at similar times.

Was once told if a tree falls, blocks a road and is cleared within 10 minutes it could still take up to three hours for traffic to resume to normal depending on normal flow rate of the traffic. Queuing can be similar. Especially if you don't put adequate controls in place.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Just guessing.

Was once told if a tree falls, blocks a road and is cleared within 10 minutes it could still take up to three hours for traffic to resume to normal depending on normal flow rate of the traffic. Queuing can be similar. Especially if you don't put adequate controls in place.

Yes. People should be queried as they join the queue and all those more than say 30 minutes early moved to a separate line. They can then be called to join the main queue when their appointment is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

FrStone wrote: »
    I have been one of the biggest critics of the rollout. However, I registered my Father aged 64 this morning on the portal. He got a text a few hours later with an appointment date of Thursday.

Great news for us. I hope its not a one off and represents the HSE finally pulling the finger out.

Ya I get the feeling the ball is finally rolling. My parents are 65 and registered last Monday. They are based in county Limerick. They got called for their first appointment tomorrow. Can't complain about a 6 day turnaround.

Additionally as they registered together at the same time their appointment slots are within 5 mins of each other which points to a sensible appointment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Just guessing.

I’ll give my experience, absolutely no social distancing. There is a lot of paperwork that needs to be dealt with, so you are queuing, filling out paperwork and then waiting for one the three HSE employees to go through it all. In my experience that was where the backlog was. There weren’t enough people processing the paperwork and it took a few minutes to get through once seen. After that you then queue to get the vaccine. Once you in the room, they go over what you are getting, effectiveness, what to watch out for etc, then the shot. Afterwards you have a 15 minute wait. So with no queue, just to do the basic amount will take you 30 minutes. Throw in people who can’t fill out paperwork correctly and there are even more delays.

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’ll give my experience, absolutely no social distancing. There is a lot of paperwork that needs to be dealt with, so you are queuing, filling out paperwork and then waiting for one the three HSE employees to go through it all. In my experience that was where the backlog was. There weren’t enough people processing the paperwork and it took a few minutes to get through once seen. After that you then queue to get the vaccine. Once you in the room, they go over what you are getting, effectiveness, what to watch out for etc, then the shot. Afterwards you have a 15 minute wait. So with no queue, just to do the basic amount will take you 30 minutes. Throw in people who can’t fill out paperwork correctly and there are even more delays.

It was all very socially distanced in City West . We didn’t fill out any paperwork at all ? The receptionist filled it out on her computer . We then passed through quickly to the vaccinator who had the details on her tablet . Have to say it flowed well and I was vaccinated within 10 mins of arrival .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Going by the Belgian delivery numbers (they have been incredibly accurate to date) we are looking at a large delivery next week. Should be in the region of 400k-418k doses for us over next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It was all very socially distanced in City West . We didn’t fill out any paperwork at all ? The receptionist filled it out on her computer . We then passed through quickly to the vaccinator who had the details on her tablet . Have to say it flowed well and I was vaccinated within 10 mins of arrival .

Maybe they rectified it. We had to fill out medical history forms and then the agents also did stuff as well on the computer. I’m guessing taking what we wrote and United it in. I did this over a month ago now. I would say that it wasn’t rainy out, but wasn’t sunny either and they were not set up to handle any adverse weather. Once you got into the facility, it was just jammed. There was no room to move. They did attempt to limit numbers coming in though. This was Sligo for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Going by the Belgian delivery numbers (they have been incredibly accurate to date) we are looking at a large delivery next week. Should be in the region of 400k-418k doses for us over next week.

That would be massive. We’d be looking at daily total above 60k potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ddarcy wrote: »
    Maybe they rectified it. We had to fill out medical history forms and then the agents also did stuff as well on the computer. I’m guessing taking what we wrote and United it in. I did this over a month ago now. I would say that it wasn’t rainy out, but wasn’t sunny either and they were not set up to handle any adverse weather. Once you got into the facility, it was just jammed. There was no room to move. They did attempt to limit numbers coming in though. This was Sligo for reference.
    Know someone who took nearly three hours to get through Sligo process this week, so doesn't seem to be rectified yet..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement