Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There's an AZ delivery of 160k+ (open to correction might be slightly less) arriving this week that was originally from May

I don't think we've given any second doses of AZ. We have given 227k doses up to April 8th, so they will all need a second dose by the end of June. The 60-69 will not need a second dose till after 30th June, so we need ~600k AZ by June 30th (minus any 60-69 that would have been in group 1 & 2 and got an mRNA vaccine).
    Hard to know with AZ if that's possible, but it should be. I mean they can't get any worse with deliveries..... can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Heading to Citywest this evening, my wife who registered last Monday is getting vaccinated today.
    I logged on 1 minute after midnight and registered myself, was just curious if portal was up to speed as my age group was open for registration from today. I believe the Citywest centre is running like clockwork.

Update, left house at 5:30 pm for a 6:30 pm appointment and arrived at Citywest by 5:55 pm, just never know with traffic out that way. Huge carpark was only about quarter full at most. Waited in the car until about 6:15 pm and headed towards the initial tented entrance. Wife told the personnel there that her appointment was for 6:30, no issues and carried on. All told it took her a good 70 min to immerge from the centre. It appeared to me that the last appointments were for 6:30 and they allowed for a final wrap at 8pm. I could see a team of cleaning personnel arriving around 7:15pm to begin preparation for tomorrow. All in all my wife was happy with how it went, just have to be patient with the conveyor type queuing until you reach your vaccine cubicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Strazdas wrote: »
    There is speculation that we could even go ahead of schedule. By June, it's possible that deliveries could start coming faster than had been previously anticipated (we've already seen Pfizer accelerate several times).

One issue with June is whether we get Curevac in reasonable quantities, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

Am I right in saying that someone who gets the Astra Zeneca jab is 6 times more likely to get covid-19 compared to someone who gets the Pfizer jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭secman

blackcard wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that someone who gets the Astra Zeneca jab is 6 times more likely to get covid-19 compared to someone who gets the Pfizer jab?

If their final % protection level is pretty close, 6 times doesn't seem to make sense !

• Advertisement

Where the hell did you read that? Facebook?

secman wrote: »
    If their final % protection level is pretty close, 6 times doesn't seem to make sense !

One has 95% efficacy, the other has 70%?

One has 95% efficacy, the other has 70%?

Efficacy can't be compared to each other.
    AZ PCR tested people in their trials, so 70% efficacy (in trials) did not have Covid (symptomatic or asymptomatic)
    Pfizer I believe was based on symptomatic covid and obviously would need to be confirmed with a PCR test. So someone asymptomatic wouldn't appear in the trial data.
    Looking at data based around hospitalizations and deaths would be how to compare one vaccine to another as they are designed to prevent both, not necessarily prevent the disease.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    AZ PCR tested people in their trials, so 70% efficacy (in trials) did not have Covid (symptomatic or asymptomatic)
    Pfizer I believe was based on symptomatic covid and obviously would need to be confirmed with a PCR test. So someone asymptomatic wouldn't appear in the trial data.
    Looking at data based around hospitalizations and deaths would be how to compare one vaccine to another as they are designed to prevent both, not necessarily prevent the disease.

Is there any data available then to make a comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Both offer very similar (ie excellent) protection against serious illness and death. Saying one is multiples better than the other is incorrect.

If you go back a few pages here you’ll find a Scottish study showing AZ offering better protection in certain situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

There's an AZ delivery of 160k+ (open to correction might be slightly less) arriving this week that was originally from May

That was originally suppose to arrive last week and this week. 10 days ago AZ pushed it into May. Yesterday they announced it would be delivered this week. There was no acceleration.

Curevac figures are hard to get a read on. At one stage 50m in Q2 was been floated but that seems to have been reduced drastically to about 6m-10m. There is even talk about them nothing producing in large quantities until Q4.

US is the big unknown. They will likely have a lot of excess vaccines by June. Other counties need it more but that doesn't mean Europe won't benefit from it.

As a matter of interest if you were given the option of either vaccine, which would you choose? And please don't answer that you would be happy with either

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

I got the first Pfizer jab yesterday, by coincidence me ma had been given AZ the day before. I was slagging her because I was fine but she was moaning about headaches, fever etc. so she punched me in my vaccinated arm. That arm is sore now.
    Conclusion:
    A sore arm is a side-effect of the Pfizer vaccine.

This whole vaccination lark is gas craic.

As a matter of interest if you were given the option of either vaccine, which would you choose? And please don't answer that you would be happy with either

If I had to choose, I'd choose Pfizer, just based on shorter interval time between doses and less risk of any clotting issues (albeit very very small)

eoinbn wrote: »
    That was originally suppose to arrive last week and this week. 10 days ago AZ pushed it into May. Yesterday they announced it would be delivered this week. There was no acceleration.

Curevac figures are hard to get a read on. At one stage 50m in Q2 was been floated but that seems to have been reduced drastically to about 6m-10m. There is even talk about them nothing producing in large quantities until Q4.

US is the big unknown. They will likely have a lot of excess vaccines by June. Other counties need it more but that doesn't mean Europe won't benefit from it.

AZ have a habit of under delivering and then 'suprising' us with a big delivery a few weeks later (which amounts to the same delivery just held back)

The US, by June should be well into vaccinating children, so I'd be cautious about any talk of excess vaccines. Also, I'm not sure how operation warp speed works, but can vaccine manufacturers then deliver to countries outside the US, or will the US be taking control of all vaccines and distributing the as they see fit? I'm sure the US government will like to make it political to undo or out-do China & Russia's influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

AZ have a habit of under delivering and then 'suprising' us with a big delivery a few weeks later (which amounts to the same delivery just held back)

The US, by June should be well into vaccinating children, so I'd be cautious about any talk of excess vaccines. Also, I'm not sure how operation warp speed works, but can vaccine manufacturers then deliver to countries outside the US, or will the US be taking control of all vaccines and distributing the as they see fit? I'm sure the US government will like to make it political to undo or out-do China & Russia's influence.

However, it could make sense for Moderna (say) to send US production to Europe and for Europe to use less AZ and J&J which would be very suitable for international distribution.

Even freeing up raw material might allow Moderna produce more in Europe.

However, it could make sense for Moderna (say) to send US production to Europe and for Europe to use less AZ and J&J which would be very suitable for international distribution.

Even freeing up raw material might allow Moderna produce more in Europe.

Totally logical, but it means the US has to drop the Operation Warp Speed contract/policy, meaning they loose total control of vaccine manufacturing and distribution.

America is the only major producer not exporting vaccines (Canada and Mexico received a loan of vaccines, due to the operation warp speed laws, they couldn't gift or sell to Canada or Mexico)
    I've feeling when America get what they need, it will either become political or sell to the highest bidder with vaccines.
    As much as I distrust China and Russia, they went political over profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The UK are planning to give boosters to the elderly this autumn.
    Officials are close to finalising a deal to purchase tens of millions more doses of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine in time for a third booster dose to be given to the elderly this autumn.

Government sources say they hope to roughly double the UK’s original order of 40 million jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is Moderna fairly similar to Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ZoZoZo wrote: »
    I got the first Pfizer jab yesterday, by coincidence me ma had been given AZ the day before. I was slagging her because I was fine but she was moaning about headaches, fever etc. so she punched me in my vaccinated arm. That arm is sore now.
    Conclusion:
    A sore arm is a side-effect of the Pfizer vaccine.

This whole vaccination lark is gas craic.
    Brilliant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

The GP practice I work in placed an order for 250 vaccines to be done this week, last week confirmed they would be delivered tomorrow........with an offer of 150 additional vaccines if we need them! Cue a lot of scrambling to get patients in at the designated times but 150 secured as per vaccine order.

Anecdotal evidence I know but hopefully a sign things are ramping up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is Moderna fairly similar to Pfizer?

Yes. Moderna is the same type of vaccine as Pfizer (mRNA) and J&J and AstraZeneca are the same type of vaccine also (adenovirus viral vector)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

42,756 new doses reported for Friday. Another daily record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

120k doses between Wed, Thurs, Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Watch the news a bit more and you might find out.

Love it. Love when somebody makes a statement and when asked to back it up, they do the online equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and walking off. Real brain-powers at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

TheDoctor wrote: »
    120k doses between Wed, Thurs, Friday.

All we need now is J and J to get the go ahead and we will fly through it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Put it this way... in 3 days we have given a vaccine dose to half the number of people than we have had confirmed cases since the start. Not bad going.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

You would hope that 250,000 per week is not far away. We have the capability of doing this and it should be easier as we get to the cohorts with the largest numbers. All we need are the vaccines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Catching up on the last 3 days of this excellent thread (with the exception of a few, everybody contributes facts and reasoned argument - kudos!)
    Now maybe this is my optimism gene kicking in, but if we have projected 80% of the population by the end of June on our (albeit loosely) guaranteed supply, is there a chance that with excess vaccine which will inevitably come on stream between now and then that everybody who is eligible for a vaccine will be offered one by then? I think they are under-promising with the intention to over-deliver.
    Maybe that is overly optimistic, but I think it will happen to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement