Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Put it this way... in 3 days we have given a vaccine dose to half the number of people than we have had confirmed cases since the start. Not bad going.

And probably 90+% of those who would have died from it are now at least partially vaccinated, which by all accounts gives them enough immunity against hospitalisation and death.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭trellheim

High points of daily shots first, second, all types

5 March 19449
    24 Mar 23330
    25 March 27490
    1 April 30915
    15 April 34596
    21 April 34863 ** special, not a Thursday
    22 April 41337 big jump

Even though it looks like Fridays 23rd ( see above) is bigger I'll wait till the official portal updates later today and then post

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

km79 wrote: »
    All we need now is J and J to get the go ahead and we will fly through it !
    Based on what every other country has done, you'd say that is more probable than unlikely and they must be aware that restrictions will screw up our programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

irishlad. wrote: »

Looks like Cohort 4 should be pretty much completely finished dose one next week, aside from those who are housebound etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Looking for thoughts on this, as a former UK resident I have an invite to get a vaccine shot in the UK. I can travel over via the ferry but is this a valid reason to travel and what are the current rules from travel over to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

And probably 90+% of those who would have died from it are now at least partially vaccinated, which by all accounts gives them enough immunity against hospitalisation and death.

I had first dose of AZ three weeks ago, any chance you could post the info which states I should now be safe from hospitalisation and death please?

If so , I may go back to workplace, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Looking for thoughts on this, as a former UK resident I have an invite to get a vaccine shot in the UK. I can travel over via the ferry but is this a valid reason to travel and what are the current rules from travel over to the UK?

Check out if you could get it up north, might be easier than going to UK. Seems like if you are eligible in UK they'd hardly force you to get it at a specific location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'd love to know where you are getting your numbers from...there are over 350,000 in group 7 that have not been touched yet, there are how many in group 5 still to be vaccinated? Then there are the 60 - 70's that have not got their jabs yet. But all of those make up less than 10% of the vulnerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is completely fine, this is essential travel for a medical appointment

No entry restrictions into the UK from Ireland.

Coming back you are required to have evidence of a clear covid test within last 72 hours and to either isolate for 14 days or take a test on day 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sconsey wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you are getting your numbers from...there are over 350,000 in group 7 that have not been touched yet, there are how many in group 5 still to be vaccinated? Then there are the 60 - 70's that have not got their jabs yet. But all of those make up less than 10% of the vulnerable?
    350K if we have the shots is 2 weeks of vaccinations at most and the 60-69 have their own exclusive supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Check out if you could get it up north, might be easier than going to UK. Seems like if you are eligible in UK they'd hardly force you to get it at a specific location.

Its quite convenient for me if I use the ferry as I have family in Wales. Just wanted to ensure I can travel and not be stung by some fine or limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sconsey

is_that_so wrote: »
    350K if we have the shots is 2 weeks of vaccinations at most and the 60-69 have the own exclusive supply.

Great news but it does not take away from the fact that I was questioning where the poster got their 'over 90% of the vulnerable have had at least one jab already". They have not, it's quite irresponsible to be putting out the message that they have and it's all good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Widescreen wrote: »
    I had first dose of AZ three weeks ago, any chance you could post the info which states I should now be safe from hospitalisation and death please?

If so , I may go back to workplace, thanks

[url] https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity.html[/url]

You should have got this info as well when they vaccinated you. Although it was just a brochure stand where I got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Russman

Anyone any thoughts on when the lower ages might start to open up ? 2nd/3rd week in May for the 50s possibly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    42,756 new doses reported for Friday. Another daily record.

Another way to look at it is almost 1% (0.9%) of the population had a dose of the Vaccine on friday, a single day. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Russman wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on when the lower ages might start to open up ? 2nd/3rd week in May for the 50s possibly ?

I’d be hoping the 59-55 would be starting end of next week now assuming the J and J news is positive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Great news but it does not take away from the fact that I was questioning where the poster got their 'over 90% of the vulnerable have had at least one jab already". They have not, it's quite irresponsible to be putting out the message that they have and it's all good now.

"The CSO’s analysis of the confirmed deaths has found that COVID-19 has had the greatest impact on people aged 65 or over. Almost 92% of confirmed deaths occurred within this age group in the period from 11 March 2020 up to 15 May 2020".

I accept that there are still over people in this age group but I think you're being a bit OTT and reactionary in your response. The bulk of those who are most at risk have or will in the next couple of weeks get a vaccine.

Given the median age of death from Covid is somewhere in the 80s, I still think we have room for optimism given how things are going, do we not?

Also - I admit I haven't been following the rollout in the last few days due to work, the data hub seems to tell a different story about 350k outstanding, or is this data incorrect?

https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭trellheim

Portal now updated :)

High points of daily shots first, second, all types

5 March 19449
    24 March 23330
    25 March 27490
    1 April 30915
    15 April 34596
    21 April 34863 ** special, not a Thursday
    22 April 41337 big jump

New high 23 April 42756 ** special, not a Thursday

Nice to do 2 of these in a day.... looks like highest week ever as well ( and that's three high point days in a row ) - we'll know on Tuesday coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Russman

I’d be hoping the 59-55 would be starting end of next week now assuming the J and J news is positive

First week in May would be amazing if it came to pass. But Isn’t the bulk of J&J due to arrive late June though ? I think we’ll only have 40k shots of it in country in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Now maybe this is my optimism gene kicking in, but if we have projected 80% of the population by the end of June on our (albeit loosely) guaranteed supply, is there a chance that with excess vaccine which will inevitably come on stream between now and then that everybody who is eligible for a vaccine will be offered one by then?
    I'd be reasonably optimistic looking at the proposed delivery schedule that everyone who really wants a vaccine will be offered one by around then, even without an increase in supply.

As we get into younger groups, I think we're going to see less of a rush to get vaccinated & we're going to need to find some way to encourage people to come forward. It's not vaccine hesitancy, just they're not as concerned about getting it as quickly as possible. I'd hope we'd be able to open access to everyone on a first-come first-served basis in June.

Hopefully someone is thinking now about ways to encourage younger groups to get vaccinated when the supply becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Isn’t the median age of death here 82? Or very close to it. So by doing the over 80s, which we have, that’s already more than 50% of potential deaths eliminated. Plus large majority of over 70s now have one dose plus a significant minority of 60-69 and other high risk groups. So I’d say 75% reduction in likely deaths has now been achieved. 90% might be a bit high, but maybe not. And we’ll be there in the next couple of weeks for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,089 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anyone know the relative risk of severe Covid for cohort 7?

I realise there's a variety of conditions, but on average.

Like, are they as vulnerable as a typical 70 y/o or what?

I realise I could DMOR with the various risk calculators but I'm feeling lazy. I assume NPHET have done the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its quite convenient for me if I use the ferry as I have family in Wales. Just wanted to ensure I can travel and not be stung by some fine or limitation.

You will have to get a PCR test in the U.K. before you return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Lumen wrote: »
    Does anyone know the relative risk of severe Covid for cohort 7?

I realise there's a variety of conditions, but on average.

Like, are they as vulnerable as a typical 70 y/o or what?

I realise I could DMOR with the various risk calculators but I'm feeling lazy. I assume NPHET have done the maths.

Judging by where they are on the list, they're as vulnerable as someone in the late 50s/early 60s

Russman wrote: »
    First week in May would be amazing if it came to pass. But Isn’t the bulk of J&J due to arrive late June though ? I think we’ll only have 40k shots of it in country in April.

What about Pfizer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think we'll be ready to go with those quite as soon as that. I believe there are 600,000+ people in the 59-50 cohort, so they would need a lot of vaccines to launch into that.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I don't think we'll be ready to go with those quite as soon as that. I believe there are 600,000+ people in the 59-50 cohort, so they would need a lot of vaccines to launch into that.

They are the next group though ?
    They will surely start registering them year by year very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are the next group though ?
    They will surely start registering them year by year very soon

They are indeed but you would think they will only open the portal to them if there a 'lot' of vaccine doses available (i.e. they don't want people registering, only to be left waiting weeks for an appointment.....they want the vaccination to happen very quickly after the person registers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Could have been asked or answered already but if we are limiting who takes az, could we not shorten the dose time, instead of 12 weeks make it 8 or is it a case of it's better to lengthen it out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement