Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

200K plus definitely be doable this week, fingers crossed there's no snags.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I read somewhere AZ are sending more does this week rather than next week? Should help with the over 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GLaDOS wrote: »
    200K plus definitely be doable this week, fingers crossed there's no snags.

Would say 200k is doable accounting for deliveries and the need to hold back a small amount of each etc.

Hoping to get a text early this week for my father. We registered last Monday so with supply increasing hopefully the appointment isn't far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vicxas wrote: »
    I read somewhere AZ are sending more does this week rather than next week? Should help with the over 60's
    Yeah, the delivery which we were supposed to get this week was pushed back by a week, but apparently now it's been restored.

I'm very hopeful for a bumper week this week. We shouldn't have the same stop-start cadence we had before because we're now just burning through the 65-69 group in MVCs, which run 7 days a week, rather than trying to co-ordinate with hospitals and GPs, who may not operate their clinics on weekends.

Which means that we should be able to run 20,000+ on both Monday and Tuesday, if not more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some good news on the J&J vaccine could help things along too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Russman

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would be fairly surprising to see them run counter to every other national body and you'd realistically expect approval for all groups.

I'd say this will be the case alright. Have many/any other countries restricted J&J ? I think I read that Sweden abandoned it altogether, but can't think of any others with age restrictions.

Its hopefully going to be a good news week with the announcement of restriction easing and hopefully J&J given the green light for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Russman wrote: »
    I'd say this will be the case alright. Have many/any other countries restricted J&J ? I think I read that Sweden abandoned it altogether, but can't think of any others with age restrictions.

Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,089 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

revelman wrote: »
    Italy

France and Spain too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So I heard something on the radio a few a few weeks back that confused me when AZ was being stopped for the under 65s, someone was reporting any health care workers who had 1 shot of AZ would instead be getting a 2nd shot of Pfizer or Moderna. How is this possible since they are based on 2 different vaccine technologies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Russman

Italy
    Lumen wrote: »
    France and Spain too, I think.

Ahh ok, so we wouldn't be total outliers if we did similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I notice a bit more news about Minimum Unit Alcohol Pricing in recent days. Considering the government strategy of distracting from bad news using more bad news I'd worry that the J&J news might not be good... Same minister if you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    177,294 this week wit Sunday still to be added. Considering the MVCs were open I’d expect another 10-15,000 to give 187-192,000.

A good week

We reached 1 million doses on Sunday, so that's 12-13k first doses + the second doses. I think it will be around 16-17k. I think it would be pretty amazing to reach 200k in a week, but it feels like a big milestone that would have been shared by Paul Reid or someone else - still very close. Great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh ok, so we wouldn't be total outliers if we did similar.
    No, but our use of J&J would come to an end in a few short weeks if we do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It would be fairly surprising to see them run counter to every other national body and you'd realistically expect approval for all groups.

NIAC will need to be better than other nations due to an 'abundance of caution

I'd still be shocked if they don't slap age restrictions on J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭FrankN1

When are they due to start 20-30s?

FrankN1 wrote: »
    When are they due to start 20-30s?

June(ish) all going well

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I don't think it's completely unreasonable to provide young people (who themselves are at almost zero risk from COVID) with the vaccines having the least bad side effects, i.e. the mRNA vaccines, as long as that can be accommodated without delaying the rollout.

If we end up with a couple of twenty-somethings dead from clotting events because it was too much effort to manage the streams of vaccines a bit better, then that would be...I'm looking for the right word...tragic? regrettable? incompetent? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KrustyUCC wrote: »

They can but they also know that will delay the vaccination programme and Butler does seem keen to get people vaccinated as fast as we can. I won't be surprised either way but logic suggests they should approve it for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭Christy42

They can but they also know that will delay the vaccine programme and Butler does seem keen to get people vaccinated as fast as we can. I won't be surprised either way but logic suggests they should approve it for all.

It was women under 30 that the issue so maybe they could do it that way? I can't see why the need to stop it entirely, it hasn't shown to be that prevalent and the US is using it again.

We should absolutely approve it. If there is some mild restrictions that is fine and easily worked around.

Especially as we haven't excelled ourselves on delivery so far and any downside has to be measured against more people getting covid from the delay.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's completely unreasonable to provide young people (who themselves are at almost zero risk from COVID) with the vaccines having the least bad side effects, i.e. the mRNA vaccines, as long as that can be accommodated without delaying the rollout.

If we end up with a couple of twenty-somethings dead from clotting events because it was too much effort to manage the streams of vaccines a bit better, then that would be...I'm looking for the right word...tragic? regrettable? incompetent? I don't know.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-said-probing-link-between-pfizer-shot-and-heart-problem-in-men-under-30/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They can but they also know that will delay the vaccination programme and Butler does seem keen to get people vaccinated as fast as we can. I won't be surprised either way but logic suggests they should approve it for all.

I hope you're right

I'm not even sure whether that's good or bad news. Both? :D

All medicines have potential side effects. I think all the EMA approved vaccines should be available to everyone, no matter what their age as long as there is consent. But that is just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Was talking to a mate of mine last night who lives in Belfast. Just a year older than me (40). He got his first shot last week. A mixture of emotions. Firstly, incredible frustration that we're not at the same pace. Even though the differences in how to approach vaccinating the population is understood and I do prefer our approach. Secondly, very encouraging hearing him be all upbeat about things. I'm looking forward to when we're at that stage.

All medicines have potential side effects. I think all the EMA approved vaccines should be available to everyone, no matter what their age as long as there is consent. But that is just my personal opinion.

Vaccines are not normal medicines, because they are (a) prophylactic, and (b) partly intended to protect people other than the the recipient.

This is why vaccine approval is so much tougher than for normal medicine. (I appreciate that the EMA has approved J&J, it's a general point).

"First, do not harm" and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

VinLieger wrote: »
    So I heard something on the radio a few a few weeks back that confused me when AZ was being stopped for the under 65s, someone was reporting any health care workers who had 1 shot of AZ would instead be getting a 2nd shot of Pfizer or Moderna. How is this possible since they are based on 2 different vaccine technologies?

If you did hear that it is totally wrong.
    Anyone who got 1st dose of AZ will get a 2nd dose as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Vaccinate the young reduces transmission so makes medical sense... Of course one of the reasons transmission is high in the young is because many of them are flouting the restrictions so it would look like it is 'promoting bad behavior'

Medically it would be a good idea but politically it would be suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Has the dose gap for AZ been pushed out to 16 weeks or is it still 12?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Has the dose gap for AZ been pushed out to 16 weeks or is it still 12?

My understanding is if you are under 60 with no underlying conditions and have already gotten a dose, then it has been extended to 16 weeks. Over 60s and under 60s with high risk conditions are staying at 12 weeks.

My mother is in her 60s and got her first dose of AZ over the weekend, she was told it'd be 12 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement