Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I've noticed a lot of people "bragging" they've gotten/getting Pfizer and looking down on people getting AZ.

Pathetic.

Surely they must have been saying it tongue in cheek, right? I can't even picture a scenario where someone would belittle another based on the kind of vaccine they received!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I've noticed a lot of people "bragging" they've gotten/getting Pfizer and looking down on people getting AZ.

Pathetic.

I think the only thing that is pathetic is your non sequitur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I don't see how that was bragging?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Where was the bragging? Some people are absolutely willing to jump on anything at the moment. Let them enjoy theirs news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pathetic.

I hear one of the side-effects of Pfizer is to misinterpret the words of others and reflect your own issues on them in reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I don't see how that was bragging?

Yeah, thanks funnydoggy I'm just glad to be getting a vaccination, I don't care what it is.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pharmacies will be vaccinating. Had a seminar with a rep from the pharmacy department in UCC a few weeks back and they're all ready to go. PSI have been training pharmacies weekly for a few months now.

Pharmacies are really in the dark to be honest, the training from the IPU and PSI has been in place and multiple webinars have taken place along with expressions of interest from them to the HSE. The process has been awfully slow and pharmacy rollout was initially dependent on AZ supplies but now likely J&J. Any restriction to that vaccine will effectively rule out pharmacies in my opinion. If it is over 50 for example, they would all be done in MVC by the time the Cold Chain got the 800 or so individual pharmacies set up.

MVC have upped massively in the last week making pharmacy involvement less likely at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

We're going to have to wait until Wednesday until we find out what's happening with J&J now.

Edit - Or perhaps that's only to do with easing of restrictions. Not clear from what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just wondering... What improvement is this?.. Is it not the case that India is producing a truck-load of vaccines for the Western World already?

They are playing political games with their exports. Banned them at one stage.

Chatted to a friend in Mumbai this morning, she said that some of the chaos was related to

1: Cricket matches with crowds of around 65000
    2: Hindu religious festival
    3: political election rallies
    4: stalling supply of vaccines and oxygen to other states ruled by different political parties
    5: black market for vaccines

It really sounds like a massive ****show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

duffman13 wrote: »
    Pharmacies are really in the dark to be honest, the training from the IPU and PSI has been in place and multiple webinars have taken place along with expressions of interest from them to the HSE. The process has been awfully slow and pharmacy rollout was initially dependent on AZ supplies but now likely J&J. Any restriction to that vaccine will effectively rule out pharmacies in my opinion. If it is over 50 for example, they would all be done in MVC by the time the Cold Chain got the 800 or so individual pharmacies set up.

MVC have upped massively in the last week making pharmacy involvement less likely at this point
    There are only 37 MVCs and they are not uniformly distributed. Varadkar has mentioned the role of pharmacies in this more than once. However, between the completion of groups 1-7 and the dealing with the over 60s, what infrastructure we have can cope with it. If the much larger deliveries promised from May do transpire they will come into play for sure.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    We're going to have to wait until Wednesday until we find out what's happening with J&J now.

Edit - Or perhaps that's only to do with easing of restrictions. Not clear from what I read.
    NPHET advice on Wednesday but J&J decision expected today from NIAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

lbj666 wrote: »
    I think we are obsessing over which cohorts will be done by end of June too much. What percentage of the population is what matters in the bigger picture of immunity in the populaton. If take up is exceptional and 80% done , yet there is a big chunk of the younger cohorts still to do thats a good problem to have, wouldnt really call it a problem.
    I've heard that oft stated, but it's really not as simple as that. Having more-exposed and more-at-risk people vaccinated first translates into a more immediate benefit for a health service than more simplistic models or indeed first-come-first served.

Notwithstanding that queue jumping has affected this rollout, hopefully 100% of the at-risk cohorts will be fully protected by the end of June, and 50+% of the general population protected also, and this should not cause any issues with waving bye bye to social distancing (at least domestically)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

is_that_so wrote: »

Cheers. I confused myself with the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If J & J was cleared for over 50s, one would assume the over 50s would still get a mixture of vaccines - there simply won't be enough J & J doses available to vaccinate them in the next few weeks (not unless a fair amount of them are kept waiting until well into June for a vaccine, which seems unlikely.....they would hardly start vaccinating people in their 30s and 40s whilst many in their 50s haven't even received a first dose)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Strazdas wrote: »
    If J & J was cleared for over 50s, one would assume the over 50s would still get a mixture of vaccines - there simply won't be enough J & J doses available to vaccinate them in the next few weeks (not unless a fair amount of them are kept waiting until well into June for a vaccine, which seems unlikely.....they would hardly start vaccinating people in their 30s and 40s whilst many in their 50s haven't even received a first dose)

This is why it is interesting that the IT says that NIAC are also taking another look at the AZ age restriction. If over 50s were to get AZ as well, this would go some way to solving the problem you have identified.

Yeah a J&J restriction would create quite a headache for the programme although over 50s seems a very random point to do it.

revelman wrote: »
    This is why it is interesting that the IT says that NIAC are also taking another look at the AZ age restriction. If over 50s were to get AZ as well, this would go some way to solving the problem you have identified.
    Even so it would still be a fairly swift end to both as part of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Sorry if this has been covered before but I've gone back over 15 pages and didn't see it discussed.

Just curious if anyone has any info about this. If you are in the 60-70 general cohort who are registering and receiving vaccines at the moment at mass vaccination centres, I'm thinking it's a given that it's AZ, given the restrictions on not using it on under 60's, etc?

Or are they giving out Pfizer to this cohort in the MVC's at the moment too (to the general 60-70 cohort), and it's all the luck of the draw?

It makes no difference to me, just curious.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I've gone back over 15 pages and didn't see it discussed.

Just curious if anyone has any info about this. If you are in the 60-70 general cohort who are registering and receiving vaccines at the moment at mass vaccination centres, I'm thinking it's a given that it's AZ, given the restrictions on not using it on under 60's, etc?

Or are they giving out Pfizer to this cohort in the MVC's at the moment too (to the general 60-70 cohort), and it's all the luck of the draw?

It makes no difference to me, just curious.

On the homepage of the vaccine portal, it says that everyone in this age group registering on the portal will receive AZ.

Yeah a J&J restriction would create quite a headache for the programme although over 50s seems a very random point to do it.

Were not all the US clotting cases in people under 50? I don’t think there should be any restrictions but if you are going to choose an age then it might as well be 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

On the homepage of the vaccine portal, it says that everyone in this age group registering on the portal will receive AZ.

:o Well I feel silly. Thanks for the reply though.

Were not all the US clotting cases in people under 50? I don’t think there should be any restrictions but if you are going to choose an age then it might as well be 50.
    AZ had a similar profile but there are far fewer of them than AZ and the US have now opened it up to all. That over 50s idea came from an Eamonn Ryan suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I've heard that oft stated, but it's really not as simple as that. Having more-exposed and more-at-risk people vaccinated first translates into a more immediate benefit for a health service than more simplistic models or indeed first-come-first served.

Notwithstanding that queue jumping has affected this rollout, hopefully 100% of the at-risk cohorts will be fully protected by the end of June, and 50+% of the general population protected also, and this should not cause any issues with waving bye bye to social distancing (at least domestically)

I should have clarified i meant from non risk groups on, not excusing the flaws mentioned. Better that we have huge take up meaning under 30s for example are left waiting a bit , rather than not as huge take up and they get their jab sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The states finally looking like they'll share what they have

https://twitter.com/rgilliescanada/status/1386725325879619585?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The states finally looking like they'll share what they have
    They need to put this on a plane to India. I'm sure the government will be harangued by the Opposition that they should be picking up the phone and trying to get some of it, but it wouldn't be right if we got it or even asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

What time are NIAC expected to announce their J&J decision today, 6-7pm?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    They need to put this on a plane to India. I'm sure the government will be harangued by the Opposition that they should be picking up the phone and trying to get some of it, but it wouldn't be right if we got it or even asked for it.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fergal Bowers of RTE reports that speculation is that NIAC will authorise J & J for everyone aged 50 and over (nothing official yet though).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fergal Bowers of RTE reports that speculation is that NIAC will authorise J & J for everyone aged 50 and over (nothing official yet though).

Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is NIAC also expected to advise regarding any change of the Pfizer dose intervals at the same time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement