Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Strazdas wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers of RTE reports that speculation is that NIAC will authorise J & J for everyone aged 50 and over (nothing official yet though).

Bowers had the AZ leak from NIAC right

That's terrible if true

Good old NIAC

This even goes beyond an 'abundance of caution'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Eod100 wrote: »

Okay, so:
    (1) 50+ or
    (2) homeless or drug addicts clinics or travellers etc or
    (3) "no other option" ????? - how does that work in practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It will shortly be no one under 50 is allowed get vaccinated at all the way this shower is going ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

This is clearly complete shyte. There is no way they will suggest this. Inaccessable places like "the land that time forgot" down the end of the black valley in Kerry, or maybe Peg's neighbours ár an Balscaod Mór.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

JTMan wrote: »
    Okay, so:
    (1) +50 or
    (2) homeless / drug addicts clinics etc or

Think could also be Travellers and Roma for 2. For 3 I don't really get what they mean there or now that will work tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't get why we're going on a solo run with age restrictions when no other country has them? The US have given it full authorisation again. We haven't even started giving it out and are already restricting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0426/1212222-niac/
    The National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) is expected to recommend the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for those aged 50 and older in Ireland.

I don't know what to think of this!

EDIT: WOw I'm very late to the party :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Bowers had the AZ leak from NIAC right

That's terrible if true

Good old NIAC

This even goes beyond an 'abundance of caution'

What is the 'terrible' about this?
    Won't the 50-59s will get their only dose of J&J around the same time that they would have gotten their 2nd Pfizer dose?
    Those younger than 49 get started sooner.
    We'll use up all the Q2 doses and remain on track for 80% of the population to have gotten 1 jab by the end of June.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are about 600k over-50s corresponding to 600k J&J doses due in Q2.

Now, it remains to be seen will the government only use J&J for over-50s, potentially meaning quite a few 50-59 year olds have to wait till June to be vaccinated while younger cohorts go first or will it use up mRNA vaccines on them, leaving us with hundreds of thousands of J&J we can't use.

• Advertisement

I don't get why we're going on a solo run with age restrictions when no other country has them? The US have given it full authorisation again. We haven't even started giving it out and are already restricting it...

We need to be the best boys in the class

Science seems to work differently in NIAC land to everywhere else

Beyond an 'abundance of caution

If we can pick the most restrictive use they will

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

josip wrote: »
    Won't the 50-59s will get their only dose of J&J around the same time that they would have gotten their 2nd Pfizer dose?
    We'll use up all the Q2 doses and remain on track for 80% of the population to have gotten 1 jab by the end of June.

Am I missing something?

Interesting
    Makes sense
    So probably won’t happen

NIAC must know better than the EMA or FDA.. :rolleyes: this is very annoying!

Given that 100% of the cases were in women under 50, why restrict it for men? The 600k doses coming in June could be used for men in whatever age group we've reached by that time, while giving other vaccines to women in parallel.

I don't get the argument that it's sexist. I think it's more sexist to pretend there's no difference in how vaccines and medicines can affect men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Speak Now

JTMan wrote: »
    Okay, so:
    (1) 50+ or
    (2) homeless or drug addicts clinics or travellers etc or

(3) They'll do a broadband speed test, sh1te speeds and you get J&J, sure makes as much sense as the logic they currently use :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

I really hope they go with no restrictions for JJ, it would give the last groups a chance to actually have a summer with the short timeframe for full vaccination after the jab, I'm in my 20s and will take any of them, but I'd want that one the most just because of the time factor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

Youse under 40's....its payback time for all the shyte and grief you caused us over the last 40 years. Who "s laughing now...youse are getting no vaccines. All the decision makers are 60 and over, gotch ya's . Revenge like a good Desert is best served cold...............................

Only joking :)

Speak Now wrote: »
    (3) They'll do a broadband speed test, sh1te speeds and you get J&J, sure makes as much sense as the logic they currently use :D

The 5g speeds will be excellent :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think could also be Travellers and Roma for 2. For 3 I don't really get what they mean there or now that will work tbh.

I mean if they're going it's only safe for people over 50 unless you're a traveller or Roma where its safe for all of ye, there's going to be a serious backlash.

Yes but in the US people have choices. You're not pushed to the back of the queue if you're uncomfortable with J&J, you simply call a pharmacy that's offering a different one.

The CDC committee made it clear that women under 50 should have the option of an alternative wherever possible.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something?

It's the abundance of caution in the decision once again

We have to have the most restrictive use for vaccines

3 days worth of meetings to come up with an age restriction

NIAC now have half of our vaccines not suitable for under 50s

Can the government say feck off and go with the EMA's recommendation?

Am I missing something?

I think the issue is the majority of J&J is due in about three months, so you either leave people in the 50/59 age group waiting for a vaccine or use Pfizer on them, creating a load of wasted J& further down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The states finally looking like they'll share what they have

https://twitter.com/rgilliescanada/status/1386725325879619585?s=19

They'll be sharing with Canada, Mexico and India long before they share with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think the issue is the majority of J&J is due in about three months, so you either leave people in the 50/59 age group waiting for a vaccine or use Pfizer on them, creating a load of wasted J& further down the line

True, but I do think there's 600,000 doses due in Q2, so that would be 2 months max.

Stark wrote: »
    There are about 600k over-50s corresponding to 600k J&J doses due in Q2.

Now, it remains to be seen will the government only use J&J for over-50s, potentially meaning quite a few 50-59 year olds have to wait till June to be vaccinated while younger cohorts go first or will it use up mRNA vaccines on them, leaving us with hundreds of thousands of J&J we can't use.

It would make a lot of sense to give J&J exclusively to those in their 50s. Difficult sell but it can be sold to those in their 50s as the fact that they will be fully vaccinated before most people get a second dose.

It would mean a concurrent rollout for those in their 50s and younger groups but it makes sense.

titan18 wrote: »
    I mean if they're going it's only safe for people over 50 unless you're a traveller or Roma where its safe for all of ye, there's going to be a serious backlash.

There is international evidence that groups such as the homeless and drug addicts are hard to track for a second dose. It makes sense to give J&J to these groups regardless of their age.

This will no doubt increase vaccine hesitance, IMO

We were told to expect J&J as the gamechanger due to its storage requirements and the fact that it's one dose.

Now NIAC are saying it's safe for over 50s. Woeful messaging. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This had better not be true. There will be war if lockdowns are extended while vaccines go unused in the coming weeks and months, absolute war. The population just want finished with this now and can see the route out, and if the Government or the medical people think people will be happy to be in extended lockdowns because of an "abundance of caution" they are likely to face severe public disobedience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

hmmm wrote: »
    This had better not be true. There will be war if lockdowns are extended while vaccines go unused in the coming weeks and months, absolute war. The population just want finished with this now and can see the route out, and if the Government or the medical people think people will be happy to be in extended lockdowns because of an "abundance of caution" they are likely to face severe public disobedience.

There are 600,000 people in their fifties. There are 600,000 J&J vaccines coming in Q2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement