Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I can't understand what is going on, one of my parents was due to be vaccinated today with AZ, in their late 60s, and it was cancelled upon arrival!

What a joke

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes but when will they be vaccinated?

Not on schedule which puts rest of society behind in easing of restrictions

NIAC was twice as cautious as UK

5 years more cautious than France and Belgium

Same as some other countries yes so not just Ireland

NIAC had other ootions and choose the most restrictive cautious one though

Some have chosen not to use it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get the North involved in rolling out the vaccine down here.

That would ensure a constant supply until the job is done, and a level of competence suitable to completing the task at hand.

I have friends with lung cancer/throat cancer/nerve disease who have not got the jab yet.

We need proper direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

DaSilva wrote: »
    I can't understand what is going on, one of my parents was due to be vaccinated today with AZ, in their late 60s, and it was cancelled upon arrival!

It was cancelled yesterday, did they not get an alert or see it on the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Some have chosen not to use it at all

That's very foolish

The rewards outweigh the risks of using the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What a joke
    HSE issued a statement yesterday that all of today's appointments were cancelled, it was all over the news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Widescreen wrote: »
    Will our politicians, who are in the 60-69 age category with no underlying conditions therefore be getting the AstraZeneca vaccine?

If not hopefully the vaccinators will tip off the media in due course.

Boris took it no problem. Our guys should do it publically to boost the program. If they don't people will get even more wary of taking it.

Ya, if Martin (whos 60) went up and took it on TV, that would do a good bit for positivity to it.

What a joke

If that location are moving from Pfizer to AZ its not a joke that it was delayed to allow the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ebbsy wrote: »
    Get the North involved in rolling out the vaccine down here.

That would ensure a constant supply until the job is done, and a level of competence suitable to completing the task at hand.

I have friends with lung cancer/throat cancer/nerve disease who have not got the jab yet.

We need proper direction.

Are you still pushing this drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

HSE issued a statement yesterday that all of today's appointments were cancelled, it was all over the news

They didn't get any alert, and my understanding from the media was it was cancelled for under 60s, but don't keep on top of the latest news constantly
    If that location are moving from Pfizer to AZ its not a joke that it was delayed to allow the switch

They were originally meant to get AZ anyway, so no change to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Getting pretty sick of the "abundance of caution" line being wheeled out for every ultra-conservative decision taken by NIAC and NPHET. It feels like everything could eventually grind to a halt out of an abundance of caution. There has to be a point where you do a risk assessment and find a way to move forward or else end up never doing a thing. The risk of clotting is between 4-10 in a million. If I were to apply the same odds, I'd never leave the house again for fear of being run over, hit by lightning or being struck by a crashing plane. The whole thing is incredibly infuriating. I'd take AZ tomorrow if offered. Let people make risk assessments themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“”THE TÁNAISTE HAS said the government will be able to say “over the next couple of days” whether the target of giving 80% of the adult population at least one vaccine dose by the end of June can still be met.

Yesterday the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) recommended that the AstraZeneca vaccine should only be given to people aged over 60, following reports of serious but rare blood clotting events. Officials have said it is estimated that these events occur in 4-10 cases in every million dose administered.””

So if we vaccinated the entire population with AZ we’d only have an estimated 20-50 possible cases out of 5 million people??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

EU has been falling behind even its own projection for vaccinations as the chart below shows.

The dotted line is based on the the 860,000 predicted doses for Ireland estimate made towards the end of last month. It is going to take a lot longer, sadly, than anyone imaged to get the EU vaccinated.

W95.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What a joke

All AZ clinics have been cancelled for today. Well reported in media yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sounds very similar to the initial AZ reports.

Six recipients in the United States developed a rare disorder involving blood clots within about two weeks of vaccination, officials briefed on the decision said.
    All six recipients were women between the ages of 18 and 48. One woman died and a second woman in Nebraska has been hospitalized in critical condition, the officials said. Nearly seven million people in the United States have received Johnson & Johnson shots so far.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Up to the states if they want to pause it.

At least the CDC review is going to be quick given it kicks off tomorrow.

6 events in 7 million doses is quite frankly a negligible impact here based on the amount of doses expected. Certainly from looking at the numbers the occurrence appears to be less than AZ.

EMA have been reviewing since last week so we'll see what comes of it in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I’m done!
    So if same issue as AZ that could possibly mean 605,000 people will not get vaccinated fully in Q2!!
    Absolutely done with this crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Definitely going back to therapy. This is such a dampener. I want to go back to work, I want to live my life. I know it isn't fair on anyone and I'm not special but man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We're fcuked if that gets the same criteria as AZ. Pfizer have been doing well but one vaccine really (Moderna supply is so low it barely counts) is going to take forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I’m done!
    So if same issue as AZ that could possibly mean 605,000 people will not get vaccinated fully in Q2!!
    Absolutely done with this crap!

Hold your horses until its looked into.

No point in getting worked up.

In an Irish context the risk appears lower than AZ. Given the impact J&J would have here I wouldn't see them applying the same threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Getting pretty sick of the "abundance of caution" line being wheeled out for every ultra-conservative decision taken by NIAC and NPHET. It feels like everything could eventually grind to a halt out of an abundance of caution. There has to be a point where you do a risk assessment and find a way to move forward or else end up never doing a thing. The risk of clotting is between 4-10 in a million. If I were to apply the same odds, I'd never leave the house again for fear of being run over, hit by lightning or being struck by a crashing plane. The whole thing is incredibly infuriating. I'd take AZ tomorrow if offered. Let people make risk assessments themselves.

Stay home. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So potentially that 200k shortfall would be made up within 1 week in July by a single delivery of Pfizer.
    Meaning obviously a delay to that end of June target, but not a disaster.

Much of 200k that have received their AZ already will be waiting 16 weeks for their 2nd , so thats in July.
    The 450k of 60-69 will get their 1st dose but will not have their 2nd by end of June. So thats 660-750k needed before end of June , 1.2m to finish all those eligible. Supply forecast 950k of deliveries by end of June, so there could 200k sitting there for a bit and looks like no more supply of AZ is needed beyond July, which hopefully is not something of major concern given supply of other vacines will be as substantial July as they were in June.

So it you take 200k-300k of jabs will be sitting there around end of June time that's 1-2 weeks delay in the overall rollout, any delays due to cancellations this week or reconfiguring can be clawed back fairly easily.

I said before , due to the amount of supply due in July any slippage before end of June will be mopped up in nearly half the time in July. Not ideal but not end of world stuff.

Edit: any issues similar with J&J and its obviously a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Had a look on Sky News just now, the Chemists in the UK are jabbing to beat the band.

Over here ? Our people who work in the chemists have not even got theirs yet.

When we had the banking crisis we received a loan from the UK.

It is now time to ask them for help again. There is no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Definitely going back to therapy. This is such a dampener. I want to go back to work, I want to live my life. I know it isn't fair on anyone and I'm not special but man :(

If these blood clots are rare and are a side effect of the vaccines we’re ultimately going to have to take them and get back to normal because if we don’t Covid 19 will cause way more damage than these vaccines ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

ebbsy wrote: »
    Had a look on Sky News just now, the Chemists in the UK are jabbing to beat the band.

Over here ? Our people who work in the chemists have not even got theirs yet.

When we had the banking crisis we received a loan from the UK.

It is now time to ask them for help again. There is no shame.

How do you suggest that they 'help' us?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If these blood clots are rare and are a side effect of the vaccines we’re ultimately going to have to take them and get back to normal because if we don’t Covid 19 will cause way more damage than these vaccines ever will.

100% agreed.

In an Irish context the risk appears lower than AZ. Given the impact J&J would have here I wouldn't see them applying the same threshold.

I love reading your posts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Seriously? We have taken the most conservative action at nearly every turn during this pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Micky 32 wrote: »

In all age cohorts, the risk of dying from Covid-19 is much greater than the risk of dying from a Covid-19 vaccine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement