Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It doesn't make any sense to wait for a different vaccine to be offered.

Aside from it massively cramping your lifestyle to go around unvaccinated, people are going to be getting booster shots this winter anyway.

So if you get AZ or J+J now you'll probably get Pfizer or Moderna this winter.

If I could I'd take all of them. MOAR VACCINES.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

I should have been clearer, sorry. My uncle was offered Pfizer a month ago before any of these adenovirus worries, and is still refusing any vaccine. He wouldn't know the difference between the two at all. The HSE have actually contacted him a few times to see if he has changed his mind, which seems nice of them. Being at the other end of the country, I haven't talked to him about it. Now it would be AZ he would be offered, but it makes no odds.

Ah no, sorry, that was me, I totally misread you there! Oof that’s a tough situation with your uncle, and must be worrying for your family, especially as he has health problems already. I’m sorry to hear it. People being scared of the vaccine for whatever their own reasons are is just something that's very tough to overcome (as I'm rapidly learning in this situation myself!)- because this isn't something you can do for them, you can't MAKE someone change their mind, and you can't make them not be scared! Good to hear the HSE are continuing to follow up with him at least- I guess if he changes his mind he knows the option is there for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Then why did you say which vaccine you received or add smiley face...

I'm just delighted to be getting a vaccination, no matter what it is, there was no smugness in my statement whatsoever.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Given that we have been using the AZ vaccine in Ireland for months, how come almost every country in Europe and beyond had to report clotting events and worse, before the HSE admitted that there had been serious clotting events here too(though no deaths). Britain, as the first and largest user of the AZ vaccine also now admits there have been 32 deaths and 168 rare clotting events(14th Apr) up from 22 deaths and 100 rare clotting events on Apr 5th (https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2021/0422/1211516-uk-astrazeneca/ ), yet when Norway blew the whistle on the risks and other countries suspended its use, in the UK they accused Europe of trying to punish Britain for brexit.

So 2 weeks after saying that the AZ vaccine shouldn't be used on the under 60s due to concerns, its now safe, because the HSE and others who failed to disclose earlier clotting events here, now say it is. Yet, according the the latest UK figures, the average age of those suffering blood clots to the brain was 47 years and the average age of those suffering major thromboembolic events along with thrombocytopenia - low platelet counts, was 55 years old. So if the 'average' age of those suffering these issues are 47 years and 55 years respectively, how is it safe for those in this age band to now be given this vaccine ?

I'd be more inclined to trust the Norwegian authorities who immediately pulled the AZ vaccine when they realised there was a problem or the Germans who said that if people don't want/trust the AZ vaccine, then they would offer an alternative.

Back to the end of the queue only works if you believe that, that threat will force people into taking the AZ or J&J vaccines, but what if you end up with 250,000+ people unvaccinated(before the 65-69 vaccination programme started 45,000 people had already refused the AZ vaccine despite it only being offered to 200,000-250,00 people), so a 20% refusal rate is definitely possible.

What they should do is designate the AZ or J&J vaccines to certain vaccination centres around the country, and if you have no qualms about it, then you can register at one of these centres and get vaccinated more quickly(assuming the delay between doses isn't extended), while those that prefer the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines can go to other centres, but may have a longer waiting time. If, as seems likely, they adopt the approach of refusing to reveal which vaccines are being used at each centre, then there could be a significant refusal rate at the centres using the AZ or J&J vaccines which would see vaccine appointment slots being wasted and possibly vaccine supplies being left unused(even if they are more easily stored and less prone to spoilage). By not revealing which vaccines are being used where, there will also be the supposition that maybe political pressure or other influence was applied so that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are used in the counties of government ministers or senior HSE staff, while the less favoured AZ & J&J vaccines were used in other places.

There was a recent survey in the US that asked people, if you had the choice of a 2 jab Covid 19 vaccine or a single jab Covid 19 vaccine, which would you choose ? and they found that 62% would choose the 2 jab vaccine compared to just 7% who would choose the single jab alternative. They found that people showed no preference between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, while the only single jab Covid vaccine in use in the US is the J&J one, so even without the AZ issues people in the US would still overwhelmingly choose the 2 jab vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭plodder

Lumen wrote: »
    It doesn't make any sense to wait for a different vaccine to be offered.

Aside from it massively cramping your lifestyle to go around unvaccinated, people are going to be getting booster shots this winter anyway.

So if you get AZ or J+J now you'll probably get Pfizer or Moderna this winter.

If I could I'd take all of them. MOAR VACCINES.
    That's a good point. Boosters are more likely to be mRNA based since they are easier to tweak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would be interesting if everyone posting included their age range.
    I think that would go a long way to explain why they are happy or annoyed with the latest rollout plan.

I'm in the 40-49 cohort and at the moment am happy because it's looking possible that I'll be fully vaccinated before I travel in mid July.
    I'm also happy that all the Q2 vaccines will get used as soon as they arrive and nearly every adult who wants a jab will have gotten one by the end of Q2.

I completely understand how a 50-59 year old, who had hoped to travel this summer, will be disappointed if they get AZ and have the expense of PCRing to travel.

But they'd probably have that anyway, since our disingenuous government will use all the tricks at their disposal to delay rolling out the EU Green Cert. So PCR will be the only way to escape the isolationist weirdness this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,740 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

josip wrote: »
    I think that would go a long way to explain why they are happy or annoyed with the latest rollout plan.
    I'm in the 40-49 cohort and at the moment am happy because it's looking possible that I'll be fully vaccinated before I travel in mid July.
    I'm also happy that all the Q2 vaccines will get used as soon as they arrive and nearly every adult who wants a jab will have gotten one by the end of Q2.
    I completely understand how a 50-59 year old, who had hoped to travel this summer, will be disappointed if they get AZ and have the expense of PCRing to travel.

I'm 40-49 and disappointed as I had hoped to get J&J and be done with one dose.
    Some 50-59 year olds might be happy with J&J for that reason... but not AZ due to long delay before 'fully vaccinated'. If I was going to get AZ I'd rather get first dose ASAP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Lumen wrote: »
    Even if there was significant vaccine hesitancy (which AFAIK there isn't any evidence of) vaccine hesitancy is only an issue when we are not supply constrained, which won't be until the end of the summer.

I'm not saying it's good, but it makes little difference for now, since the doses will just move from one person to another. Claiming otherwise is hyperbolic.

But we are supply constrained - there's a massive backlog of people waiting for these vaccines, and we have heard for months age is the only thing that matters regarding covid impact.
    Supercell wrote: »
    That may well be true but it isnt the whole picture.
    Lots and lots of people that were never hospitalized but had relatively mild covid are suffering long term effects, and mild here is relative, it means not admitted to hospital, flu is no walk in the park either but most people are not hospitalised for that either.
    So why are we prioritizing the higher risk cohorts with the lower efficacy vaccines for the sake of a few weeks and when hospital numbers are declining and the most vunerable already vaccinated to a greater extent?, we are over a year into this now remember.
    I doubt most people offered Janssen or one or the mRNA vaccines would choose J&J though I think they should be given a choice of J&J sooner or wait a few more weeks for one of the the mRNA vaccines, i would choose to wait.
    It may well turn out that long covid effects the mRNA vaccinated too, but with a 95% efficacy rate i'd wager there wil be far less than J&J, time will tell.

If the over 50's are treated like second rate citizans this time, i really hope we get a fairer shot when any booster vaccination comes around.

But they aren't being treated like second class citizens at all. They are getting a highly efficacous vaccine, indeed more efficacious against for example the South African variant than either of the mRNA vaccines - if that became the dominant strain here (which it currently isn't I know). And all are nearly 100% effetive against death, hospitalisation and serious illness from covid. That is all any of us want!

If you don't get that the efficacy rates between clinical trials cannot be compared as crudely as 75% vs 95%, then you clearly don't understand how these things work.

I remember my sister being in a low speed car accident in the 1990's. Basically, somebody came around a bend and hit the front right of her car and although she broke her leg she may have avoided being killed by hopping in the direction of the passenger seat. If she had been wearing a seat belt, she might have been killed. If we applied the same logic here, we'd be saying "well we can't say for certain seat belts are 100% safe, there's a 1 in a million chance that somebody might be killed because of them, so we'll restrict them for use by the over 50's".

That is the ludicrous situation developing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mammydoggy in and out in half an hour. She has anxiety so had a panic attack and the doctors were so nice. The doc said to her, "See this vaccine card? It'll get you safely you into pubs and restaurants. In a month's time, the card will then get you safely onto a plane."

Calmed her down and guided her all the way.

Girlfrienddoggy is currently getting her vaccine too as I type this. Both in Pairc Uí Chaoimh in Cork btw.

Great day for the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

12,308 vaccinations on Sunday. Interestingly it shows that we only hit 998k 1st doses on Sunday and not 1 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just literally done with first dose of AZ at SSE in Belfast.
    It took about an hour from start to end including the 15 minute observation period.
    Really well organised, lots of staff and spacing in queue.
    I would recommend earphones or a book defo.
    They seem to be flying through people.

66k figure on a big board not sure if that is number today or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

josip wrote: »

But they'd probably have that anyway, since our disingenuous government will use all the tricks at their disposal to delay rolling out the EU Green Cert. So PCR will be the only way to escape the isolationist weirdness this summer.

I'm in the 30-35 age cohort, so I don't see myself getting my first dose until the 2nd half of June (all going well).

I really don't see the expense of PCRing really putting anyone off in the grand scheme of things. I'd expect the European vaccine passport to be in place by mid-summe.r

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

12,308 vaccinations on Sunday. Interestingly it shows that we only it 998k 1st doses on Sunday and not 1 million.

Numbers are updated as data comes in.

Anyone who works with data knows that transactions/event occurring don't always appear on data when you would expect. No matter the industry.

Take the hse reports themselves for example the report out yesterday morning lists 20,849 1st doses & 4750 2nd doses for 24 of April. Today's report lists them as 21,228 1st doses & 5478 2nd doses for 24th of April
    A difference of 1107 doses.
    Same with the day previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

12,308 vaccinations on Sunday. Interestingly it shows that we only hit 998k 1st doses on Sunday and not 1 million.

Think that’s upto last reports approx 5pm
    The 1 million mark may still have been hit Sunday tho but the extra 2,000 doses administered after the 5pm reporting deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Anyone know what age group they are currently at? Not registrations but actually vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The improved weekend numbers have taken our 7 day average vaccination rate over 0.5 per hundred per day for the first time ever. This brings us in line with the rest of Western Europe (even though we are still 7-10 days behind in overall vaccination). In my opinion this is the single most important number for us now. Hopefully we can at least maintain this number or maybe push for between 0.6 and 0.7 for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My tuppence from listening and reading over the last 24 hours is that the "plan" really is to vaccinate the 50 to 59 group with whatever they have got to give them (though certainly maxing use of AZ and J&J) including Pfizer and Moderna. Then, in 4 / 5 weeks time, assuming no one dies, NIAC will revise age limits down to allow some under 50s get J&J and possibly AZ too. That's how I think they will, or hope to, avoid the problem of having vaccine supplies they can't use come the end of June. Irish solution.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm 40-49 and will happily take any vaccine, looks like I won't be offered AZ (which I would happily take) but probably will work out better as the long time difference means I could have both doses before friends my age who are HCW and have had one AZ dose but have to wait 16 weeks between doses now. So if I were to get Pfeizer early June I could have second dose before they get their 2nd AZ. Even better would be J&J as one dose but doubt it'll be that going by reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Mammydoggy in and out in half an hour. She has anxiety so had a panic attack and the doctors were so nice. The doc said to her, "See this vaccine card? It'll get you safely you into pubs and restaurants. In a month's time, the card will then get you safely onto a plane."

Calmed her down and guided her all the way.

Girlfrienddoggy is currently getting her vaccine too as I type this.

Great day for the parish.

What?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

KOR101 wrote: »
    Anyone know what age group they are currently at? Not registrations but actually vaccinations.

I think it depends on what your local vaccination center is, some hubs seem to be doing early 60's already, others still at 69 age. Also depends on where gp's are with cohorts 4/7 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭plodder

Mid 50's here. So, am really surprised (but not quite fully believing yet) that given all that's happened it might only be weeks away. No desire to travel abroad during Summer, but later in the year would be nice. Will take any vaccine available .. off a sore leg...

I presume/hope NIAC will explain their recommendation and I can imagine potentially valid reasons why the age categories could vary between countries. Also, that the highest risk of clots is at an age close to the recommended age for the vaccine could easily be offset if the same risk of clotting from the virus itself was highest at that age. Or maybe, the average age of the cases is different here....?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

What?

Why did I read this internally with the voice of Brian the dog from Family Guy

What?

COVID protection wise, he didn't mean it literally, just to try and calm her and get her out of her panic attack.

I thought it was a lovely way of putting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

snotboogie wrote: »
    The improved weekend numbers have taken our 7 day average vaccination rate over 0.5 per hundred per day for the first time ever. This brings us in line with the rest of Western Europe (even though we are still 7-10 days behind in overall vaccination). In my opinion this is the single most important number for us now. Hopefully we can at least maintain this number or maybe push for between 0.6 and 0.7 for May.
    Realistically we need to be up close to 1 per day sustained, to come close to the June target. Lots of second jabs needed in the coming weeks and months (apart from the 60-69, their second dose will come from July onwards and obviously any J&J jabs)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

funnydoggy wrote: »
    COVID protection wise, he didn't mean it literally, just to try and calm her and get her out of her panic attack.

I thought it was a lovely way of putting it!
    I can see the Gript article now. "Dublin doctor confirms that pubs and foreign travel will open in June, but only if you have a vaccine cert".

seamus wrote: »
    I can see the Gript article now. "Dublin doctor confirms that pubs and foreign travel will open in June, but only if you have a vaccine cert".

Hahahaha what have I potentially done :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If only for this month it's just a temporary blow (hopefully)

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1387012823637762051?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Corholio wrote: »

To be perfectly honest if it were this month and next it wouldn't cause that much of an impact at all. They aren't delivering in significant volume until June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Corholio wrote: »

Hopefully J&J will be like Pfizer and become more reliable after an early blip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be perfectly honest if it were this month and next it wouldn't cause that much of an impact at all. They aren't delivering in significant volume until June

132,000 in next month according to the article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement