Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Corholio wrote: »
    If only for this month it's just a temporary blow (hopefully)

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1387012823637762051?s=19

This is one reason reason it has been suggested that over 50s receiving one vaccine only may not necessarily be a good idea : it would mean any disruption to that supply sparking off immediate chaos for that cohort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

seamus wrote: »
    I can see the Gript article now. "Dublin doctor confirms that pubs and foreign travel will open in June, but only if you have a vaccine cert".

DublinLive
    "Hellish U-Turn as Dublin doctor confirms vaccine certs REQUIRED for pubs and travel in dramatic news for Ireland"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"The rest of April" , also known as 3 days.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GLaDOS wrote: »
    "The rest of April" , also known as 3 days.

Which...is what I said?

Article states unsure about next month too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rest of April. So, four days max?

Actual impact is that we drop from 26k to 12k. Hardly anything major, especially as next month we're due 132k.

People are sensationalising everything they can these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is there any word on whether the gap between 1st and 2nd does will be extended? Or is there no need for that with NIACs recommendations?

Which...is what I said?

Article states unsure about next month too.

Not having a go at you, just a sensationalist headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is there any word on whether the gap between 1st and 2nd does will be extended? Or is there no need for that with NIACs recommendations?

Doesn't look like there will be
    https://twitter.com/JackHoJo/status/1387017054574809089?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Realistically we need to be up close to 1 per day sustained, to come close to the June target. Lots of second jabs needed in the coming weeks and months (apart from the 60-69, their second dose will come from July onwards and obviously any J&J jabs)

Yep, we lost huge ground in April. Crude calculations from me are that we get to 80 shots per 100 around the middle of July. That's with a 0.6 average in May and and 0.8 average in June. Obviously that's not 80% of the adult population with a vaccine. I assume that would be at around 100 per 100.

If we were to start 1 per 100 per day tomorrow we'd get to 100 in the 10th of July. To get to 100 by the end of June we would need to average 1.1 per 100 per day starting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

No extension is a cúnt :(

• Advertisement

A six week interval is within the manufacturer guidelines and it would have helped speed things up a bit. Not sure why they haven't gone for that at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Is the gap between Pfizer doses still 4 weeks or being extended?

Can understand keeping it at 4 weeks for vulnerable cohorts. But for, say, healthy under 60s an extension would have been good.

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Is the gap between Pfizer doses still 4 weeks or being extended?

I'm seeing speculation on Twitter that there is no change to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ah nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

josip wrote: »
    It would be interesting if everyone posting included their age range.
    I think that would go a long way to explain why they are happy or annoyed with the latest rollout plan.

I'm in the 40-49 cohort and I'm honestly neither happy nor sad about the plan. A national roll out of 4 vaccines with different characteristics can't be easy to plan and I don't envy the HSE. You're never going to please everyone. My mother had her first AZ shot last week and my dad got his appointment this morning for his second Pfizer one in two weeks, they were my main concerns re COVID tbh.

I'd take any of the vaccines tomorrow if I could, obviously I'd prefer an mRNA one if there was a choice (which there isn't), but I've largely taken the view that what will be will be, let the medical experts make their decisions and I'll get called when I get called.

Russman wrote: »
    I'm in the 40-49 cohort and I'm honestly neither happy nor sad about the plan. A national roll out of 4 vaccines with different characteristics can't be easy to plan and I don't envy the HSE. You're never going to please everyone. My mother had her first AZ shot last week and my dad got his appointment this morning for his second Pfizer one in two weeks, they were my main concerns re COVID tbh.

I'd take any of the vaccines tomorrow if I could, obviously I'd prefer an mRNA one if there was a choice (which there isn't), but I've largely taken the view that what will be will be, let the medical experts make their decisions and I'll get called when I get called.

That's my view as well. Trying to do it 'tactically' would be crazy and you could end up waiting many months for a vaccine (and even then they mightn't offer you the one you want). Whenever they contact you, go for the vaccine.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm seeing speculation on Twitter that there is no change to this.

Do we know when it may be confirmed?

Do we know when it may be confirmed?

Probably tonight I would think when the official J & J and AZ statements are announced.

No spacing out. Not sure what to make of it.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387025807688744960?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Knex* wrote: »

People are sensationalising everything they can these days.

People? More like journalists.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wonder is it logistics and whatever formula HSE is using for the rollout? Remember at the start they were using a spreadsheet for cases that collapsed!

This abundance of caution bullshít needs to end.

Who was it said to not let perfect be the enemy of good?

Leo talking about possibly opening things up sooner a week ago and now things look even slower than originally thought with the no spacing of vaccines. It'll be interesting to see how they explain it terms of speeding things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Can understand keeping it at 4 weeks for vulnerable cohorts. But for, say, healthy under 60s an extension would have been good.
    funnydoggy wrote: »
    This abundance of caution bullshít needs to end.

Who was it said to not let perfect be the enemy of good?

Abundance of caution is fine, once it is weighed up against the risk of getting covid, rather than comparing apples and oranges re vaccines as is currently happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

We need more transparency on how they arrive at these decisions. I feel like it’s the wrong decision, but I’m sure they have better data than me.... so why did they decide not to extend, the only way to a normalish summer is for Pfizer to deliver way above current targets.

My gut tells me NIAC are deliberately sabotaging peoples hopes of foreign summer holidays. Tho I’m a cynic, so probably wrong.

Great news

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems a bit silly if you are still working through extremely vulnerable people getting any vaccination, and supplies are still relatively limited. Getting twice as many people with one dose is significantly better way of making use of the supplies than getting two jabs into people at 4 weeks apart for the sake of a 5% or so difference in effectiveness.

Great news

Why do you feel so? Not arguing, genuinely curious

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    We need more transparency on how they arrive at these decisions. I feel like it’s the wrong decision, but I’m sure they have better data than me.... so why did they decide not to extend, the only way to a normalish summer is for Pfizer to deliver way above current targets.

My gut tells me NIAC are deliberately sabotaging peoples hopes of foreign summer holidays. Tho I’m a cynic, so probably wrong.

Indeed, explain these decisions more clearly to appease people’s frustrations.

Spacing to six weeks seems so obvious considering the protection given from the first dose. It’s so hard not to get annoyed when we see what other countries are doing, it’s literally the biggest thing that has happened in most of our lifetimes, this “abundance of caution” needs to stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement