Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That shouldn't be that hard

Proof of a positive test

HSE should have details like name, dob, doctor on cases as it is

If 49 or under proof of test = one vaccine

Would love to know up to date figure on cases in that cohort

out of 247,069 I'd imagine cases in under 50 to be at least 40% which is a big amount of people only needing one dose

Yeah i have an official txt on my phone from HSE confirming name DOB and proof of positive test with the date. So should be simple enough...i am delighted with the new info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

So he lied to her to get her to take it? Hmm okay.

Both parties knew current restrictions. It was as simple as him trying to calm my mother who was having a full blown panic attack, and it worked. She is under no illusions as to what can or cannot be done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

GP called me there this afternoon, getting my first jab on Friday morning :D

Interesting development about those who previously had Covid, I had it back in October so will probably still need two doses? Hopefully not though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So one of the last people to be fully vaccinated might in fact be the 60-70 years olds waiting for 12 weeks for a second dose ?

No . Sure there are a lot of people thankfully who have not tested positive for Covid so will not be availing of this , if it does actually go ahead . That would be most of the under 50s getting 2 doses.
    Not to mention all the groups of vulnerable people who have to have 2 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

duffman13 wrote: »
    From Finnair:

We will accept a Covid-19 vaccination certificate as an alternative to a negative test result or a certificate of a previous infection for travellers to Finland as of May 11. We accept vaccination certificates of all Covid-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organisation or the European Medical Agency. The vaccine needs to be administered at least 21 days before your travel. The first dose is accepted for the certificate. https://www.finnair.com/en/flight-information/travel-updates/travelling-to-finland-2166280

So can you get a (formal) vaccine certificate when getting the first dose?
    My mother got a hand filled vaccine note from her GP after her 2nd dose.
    I wouldn't be very confident rocking up to a flight and relying on this to get on.
    Digging a little deeper:
    The vaccination certificate must contain your full name (as in your travel document), date of birth, name of the disease vaccinated against (COVID-19), date, time and place of vaccination, the name of the vaccine brand and the party (company name) issuing the certificate.

https://www.finnair.com/en/flight-information/travel-updates/travelling-to-finland-2166280

So my mother's 'cert' would fail for Finland because it doesn't have her DOB on it.
    If she'd asked for her DOB to be added at the time, then a case could be made that it was acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes. It is.
    Better to have proper full protection than a population half done , like the UK , who are now starting to get very anxious about the different vocs getting a hold before people fully immunised .
    Kingston Mills, who is a very sane and sensible person through this , got the wind up a lot of people last night discussing how the variants of concern are increasingly likely to prolong this .

I know there are people on here who think it is all over once we are vaccinated but looking very much as if this is just the start , unfortunately .
    The start? Despite being more than a year into this? And with no shred of evidence whatsoever that any single variant reduces a vaccines effectiveness at preventing severe illness and/or death? Bearing in mind that was the original objective here, before goalposts conspicuously started shifting.

josip wrote: »
    I wouldn't be very confident rocking up to a flight and relying on this to get on.
    Digging a little deeper:

I took my mum down to the vaccine centre in Sligo for her jab, they gave her the official card showing she had one dose of AZ afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Necro wrote: »

Interesting development about those who previously had Covid, I had it back in October so will probably still need two doses? Hopefully not though

Can you truly be an impartial moderator if you've taken a vaccine though? (what with all the 5G's and such) The boards.ie coronavirus mods should be at the back of the queue :pac:

Would have helped with the rollout to healthcare workers but at this stage of little help

Yes . A third of HCWs have tested positive ...but they are all vaxxed twice now !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I took my mum down to the vaccine centre in Sligo for her jab, they gave her the official card showing she had one dose of AZ afterwards.

I got the AZ in March and very similar. Small card but only has name and details of batch on AZ. Wouldn't suffice for travel at all if I fancied a trip to Finland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yes . A third of HCWs have tested positive ...but they are all vaxxed twice now !

A third of front line HCW. There's a bundle of people of who would be classed appropriately to have been called in March who would have previously had Covid. Putting that detail together however is a different story entirely:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

josip wrote: »
    Digging a little deeper:

https://www.finnair.com/en/flight-information/travel-updates/travelling-to-finland-2166280

So my mother's 'cert' would fail for Finland because it doesn't have her DOB on it.
    If she'd asked for her DOB to be added at the time, then a case could be made that it was acceptable.

Everyone is supposed to get a card that contains their details and vaccine name, batch number and date of administration. It also has space for 2nd dose.

The vaccine system built for the HSE has the ability to issue digital certs when the time comes that they're required for travel

ElTel wrote: »
    So would antibodies be detectable in June/July from the big December wave?
    Perhaps a blood donation drive through the summer could be randomly checked for previous infection although I think there's an update due on the PRECISE study that may give more insight.

That would be a really good idea , but in reality, due to time constraints , they might leave it till after the bulk of population vaccinated so might not effect the rollout .
    Antibody tests take a few days longer than PCR . Exact procedure some others would know more than me .
    I would say it might be rolled out to guide future booster shots , and to judge how the vaccination program was going , but that is just my personal opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Would have helped with the rollout to healthcare workers but at this stage of little help

With respect, that makes no sense. There are far more people under 50 who aren't healthcare workers than who are. So if it would have been a help then, it will be an even greater help now.

This is a relatively small step that will speed up the completion of the vaccination programme. Why try to put a negative spin on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JPup wrote: »
    With respect, that makes no sense. There are far more people under 50 who aren't healthcare workers than who are. So if it would have been a help then, it will be an even greater help now.

This is a relatively small step that will speed up the completion of the vaccination programme. Why try to put a negative spin on it?

It impacts roughly about 120k people (quick calculations). There's no negative spin, it won't speed up the vaccine programme by any considerable distance.

120k people is roughly about 4 days (if even) of vaccination when going at full tilt. It's got little impact overall, that's not spin it's just reality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think the criteria is that you needed to have it within the last 6 months, so you might just be outside the window unless you got it right at the end?

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think the criteria is that you needed to have it within the last 6 months, so you might just be outside the window unless you got it right at the end?

Yeah I think I'll need the two doses, it was early October unfortunately. Shame that.

JTMan wrote: »
    Don't go heavily drinking after you get your vaccine!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1387043920836587523?s=19

All screwed so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What a strange day with vaccines - all kinds of things coming out of the woodwork and the over 50s plan looks in an even bigger mess. Even AZ was involved, as its former partner was the one who botched the 15m J&J doses in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Think we should be preparing for some J&J related disappointment in the future. Fingers crossed production in Baltimore won't be stopped for long

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/under-50s-in-good-health-who-had-covid-19-to-be-considered-fully-vaccinated-after-one-jab-1.4548886?_ga=2.994546.272489767.1619539893-1649544013.1608592704
    However, it also emerged today that deliveries of the J&J vaccine will be halved this week after a shipment of around 26,000 doses of the vaccine for the Republic was caught up in the fallout from an incident at a US factory producing the vaccine.

Delivery shortfalls
    It is unclear if the deliveries impacted are only those due this month, which are of lower volumes, or if larger consignments scheduled for the weeks ahead, will also be impacted.

The delivery shortfalls arise from an audit by the US regulator, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), of a factory where 15 million doses of the vaccine were ruined due to a production error earlier this year.

As a result, Ireland’s second delivery of this vaccine, due this week, will be reduced to around 12,000 doses.

It is unclear if the production issues will impact on deliveries of this vaccine next month next month, when 132,000 doses of the vaccine are expected.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that while there will be a reduction in a coming shipment of J&J vaccines, he is still expecting further large deliveries to come in May and June.

“There has been some reduction in the J&J 12,000 shipment. But the bulk of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine was due in late May and June. The bulk of it is still to come.

“ We already have some in the country. There is a reduction in the second shipment but it was low enough anyway to begin with. They key for the Johnson and Johnson is the 600,000 (figure) over the quarter two period which gives us well in excess of four million vaccines due in that period.”

Mr Martin also said it was “full steam ahead” for the vaccination programme although some time has been lost in between the various changes made to the use of vaccines and scheduling.

The Taoiseach said that last week there was a significant increase in vaccine administration and “this week is looking very good as well and there will be high volume coming in towards the end of the week.”

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/at-request-fda-emergent-s-troubled-baltimore-plant-suspends-j-j-vaccine-production
    Emergent shuts down COVID-19 vaccine production at troubled plant after feds put J&J in charge

Johnson & Johnson’s takeover of COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing at an error-prone Emergent BioSolutions plant in Baltimore didn’t last long.

Two weeks after the U.S. stepped in and handed control of vaccine manufacturing at the plant to J&J, Emergent agreed to temporarily halt producing new drug substance there. 

In March, the factory had to discard up to 15 million vaccine doses when it mixed up materials for the J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines. The New York Times reported  an additional batch of between 10 million and 15 million doses of the AZ vaccine was lost last November because of suspected contamination at the plant.

The recent action comes after an FDA inspection last week. On Friday, at the FDA's request, the company agreed to suspend manufacture of new drug substance and quarantine existing material manufactured there, “pending completion of the inspection and remediation of any resulting findings,” according to an 8-K filing. 

When the U.S. turned over vaccine manufacturing at the plant to Johnson & Johnson, it also earmarked $23 million to boost production. Last year, Emergent received a $628 million contract from the government to produce COVID-19 vaccines.

In April of 2020, the facility was cited for the same quality control problems that led to the COVID-19 vaccine production errors.

This also is another blow to J&J, whose vaccine is under review after reports of rare and severe blood clot cases among recipients. The U.S. and Europe have stopped distributing the J&J vaccine, though America’s leading infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci, M.D., predicted this weekend that the shot could be cleared by Friday, with restrictions or warnings.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is expected to meet this week to present updated findings on the vaccine. Last week, the working group recommended a continued pause in vaccinations as it gathered more information.

Meanwhile, other COVID-19 vaccine suppliers have bumped up supply agreements with the U.S. and Europe. And last week, Europe said it would not renew its contract with J&J and AstraZeneca beyond this year.

While its Baltimore plant remains inactive, Emergent said it is working with J&J and the FDA on strengthening the supply chain for the vaccine.

“We recognize the confusion these recent events may have caused our customers, our employees, and the public,” Emergent said in its statement. “We acknowledge that there are improvements we must make … to restore confidence in our quality systems and manufacturing processes.”

• Advertisement

The start? Despite being more than a year into this? And with no shred of evidence whatsoever that any single variant reduces a vaccines effectiveness at preventing severe illness and/or death? Bearing in mind that was the original objective here, before goalposts conspicuously started shifting.

More and more people of knowledge like Kingston Mills whom I gave as an example are saying that .
    He is not extreme by anyone's standards so when he says something like that I take notice .
    You can decide for yourself , of course .
    And not talking about these severe restrictions by the way , but continuing measures like masks and social distancing, and smaller gatherings until variants of concern are known to be controlled or vaccinated against.
    Don't shoot the messenger !

This is not the thread for this .

More and more people of knowledge like Kingston Mills whom I gave as an example are saying that .
    He is not extreme by anyone's standards so when he says something like that I take notice .
    You can decide for yourself , of course .
    And not talking about these severe restrictions by the way , but continuing measures like masks and social distancing, and smaller gatherings until variants of concern are known to be controlled or vaccinated against.
    Don't shoot the messenger !

This is not the thread for this .
    The messenger needs to find more than a lone voice to back up the claim. We can look to the UK and Israel to see what'll happen after we're vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

OK so just read on RTE that if you have had Covid already and are under 50 that you will just get 1 dose of Pfizer or Moderna.

Is Ireland the only Country doing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    OK so just read on RTE that if you have had Covid already and are under 50 that you will just get 1 dose of Pfizer or Moderna.

No idea about other countries and I'm no scientist but that decision kinda makes sense, no? Presumably people that have already had Covid will have some antibodies after recovering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Speaking as someone who has spent most of their career in pharma. That is unbelievable how big a f up that was. I have worked in a plant that produced hundreds of products and there was never mix up in materials or contamination. Very poor controls in place there.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The messenger needs to find more than a lone voice to back up the claim. We can look to the UK and Israel to see what'll happen after we're vaccinated.

It is not just one lone voice.
    And we can indeed look to these countries to see how they react when the level of vocs increase among their populations to see how it works out and will continue for us .
    Nobody saying it's a definite here but it is silly to dismiss it .

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

SusanC10 wrote: »

Think France have been doing one dose of Pfizer for known and confirmed CV-19 for a good while now. Not heard anything about Moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

He might very well be right and I'm not qualified to judge, but that group of scientists seem to be worriers by nature. When you've the knowledge to know we're only one bad virus away from wiping out half of humanity it must weigh on you. The scientists and media in Ireland just seem to be extremely negative and downbeat, we're very different to the way most similar countries are reporting on this.

Florian Krammer on Twitter earlier (who seems to be on the more optimistic side) posted a pre-print of a study which showed that the "Indian variant" doesn't have much impact on vaccines - I remember you saying yesterday that Prof Mills was very worried about this variant. We've had Minks, and the UK, and the South African strains and so far nothing has been quite as bad as initial reports made it out to be.

I look for more balanced experts in general (and I'm a particular fan of Gottlieb), and they seem to be saying that while we will have some restrictions (e.g. wearing masks indoors) until 2022 we're largely back to normal in the second half of this year. That's not to say a new variant couldn't emerge which knocks everything back, but that's not the most likely thing to happen in the near future - and because it mutates at a slower speed than influenza we should be able to tweak vaccines in advance to deal with new mutations over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Maybe this is the wrong place to post this but I am so annoyed today and I just need to vent. So my 69 year old mother registered for her vaccine on the 15th of April, the day they opened registration. As of today she has not received an appointment, and according to the HSE helpline might not receive one until the 6th of May. However people in Wexford, that are younger than her, that we know, have since received both appointments and vaccines. People we know of in other counties have received the same. According to the helpline staff you will not be called by age but it is pretty much random allocation. So people who are 60 could receive an appointment tomorrow but she will still have to wait.

Then to top it off a GP practice in our local town have it advertised on their web page that if you are aged between 60 and 69 you can register to receive a vaccine this Friday. Our own GP are not vaccinating anyone under 70 as they are following HSE guidelines or so they say.

So to me the rollout is following no order at all. I was advised to call the HSE Have your say helpline but guess what they are very busy right now and there's noone to take the call...

Gutted for you and your mother. I know that myself and my friends were constantly checking the phone once we had registered - I was lucky that I got a text the day after I registered, but some were drumming their fingers when they had heard nothing a week after registering. It's really frustrating and I hope you get sorted soon.

• Advertisement

It is not just one lone voice.
    And we can indeed look to these countries to see how they react when the level of vocs increase among their populations to see how it works out and will continue for us .
    Nobody saying it's a definite here but it is silly to dismiss it .
    Not dismissing it, just looking for more voices although even he's guessing as well. Israel's programme has not been affected by VOCs. TBH it just sounds like people on the hunt for more "scariants".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement