Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, not a bit. I gave you some facts in that post. I just asked you for more evidence from these other voices. You're not obliged to give me any just as I'm not obliged to accept your claim. Best to leave it there I'd say.

Ah no . You didn't ask for " facts " .
    You were totally dismissive and reactive using the word " scariant."
    Was that not designed to wind me up ? :pac:

Yes , now , we will leave it there .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Zipppy wrote: »
    Are cohorts 4 & & getting Pfizer?

Yup, or Moderna but 99% that's Pfizer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Are cohorts 4 & & getting Pfizer?

Not all.

Over 60s in the groups getting AZ

Full rundown here

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Not all.

Full rundown here

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html

Surely this will change to over 50s after todays announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Surely this will change to over 50s after todays announcement?

Could do.

Up to the HSE depending on supply etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Strazdas wrote: »
    RTE Six One reports Donnelly as saying the over 50s will be offered all four vaccines (people had merely been assuming that they would only be offered AZ and J & J).

I heard on RTE Radio 1 that all four vaccines had been “approved” for people over 50. The distinction between “approved” and “offered” is quite significant!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If a variant get labelled variant of high consequence then we know we've got a problem. Scariant may actually be appropriate in that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I hope NIAC and the media are happy with the mess and totally false perceptions they have created regarding what is the "best vaccine" to get, and the completely false perception regarding the other vaccines which are far more efficacious than the winter flu vaccine that people took without so much as a 2nd thought

damien89 wrote: »
    What's really annoying for me, is I couldn't get a Covid test in January as I had no symptoms.I for sure had it as my wife was mildly sick and tested positive as did my 9 year old test positive who had head cold symptoms, our 3 year old didn't have any symptoms.

It's a bit unfair that I now have to get two doses and won't be able to travel, when I probably have immunity anyway.

Alot of people will have been exposed like me and have been asymptomatic or have natural immunity, it's a pity we can't get antibody or T Cell test for Covid to prove one dose is enough for us

I think proof of exposure to Covid ( close contact txt from HSE ) and being asymptomatic should qualify under 50's like me to recieve one dose.

A lot of people would be in that category both after Christmas and from earlier in the pandemic.
    I and a lot of my colleagues were sick with " the worst flu ever " in February 2020 but no testing available at that time , until we were coming back to work , some of us a month later, thus testing negative
    We still got 2doses of the vaccines . Glad to get it so didn't ask any questions , at work anyhow .
    Should have had antibody levels done really but no facility through work and it got put on the long finger.
    You have a choice not to get a second dose .
    But how wise is it to make that choice ?
    But are you 100% sure you have enough immunity or that you even had it , without getting antibody levels checked ?
    And how are you going to make this official without a statement from the HSE saying you have had the infection and so are ok with one dose of the vaccine ?
    Where will that leave you as regards a vaccine certificate if you and your family need one to travel ?
    Not getting at you personally , just using your case as an example .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Okay so I’m vaccinated now.

When can I go for a few pints? I feel safe.
    I’d also like to go and see my grandkids who I haven’t got to cuddle in over a year. I hope the youngest remember me too. This has gone on for too long.

My parents are now fully vaccinated . They have since visited their grandkids and they have called to their house. They don’t care anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

titan18 wrote: »
    If Pfizer is going to be used on them, they might as well wait until cohort 4 and 7 are done and the chance of getting Pfizer goes up. ATM, if they register and get an appointment, it's guaranteed to be AZ, that might be the case after 4 and 7 are done with.

I don’t think the chance of getting Pfizer will go up once Cohort 4 & 7 are done though. It’ll be prioritised for everyone under 50 because there’s no other vaccine for them. The overwhelming majority of over 50s are probably going to be getting AZ or J&J no matter what. The way I see it going is as much AZ and J&J get used up on over 50s and the leftovers get donated to other countries. The age restrictions might be lowered at some point but there’s no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

revelman wrote: »
    I heard on RTE Radio 1 that all four vaccines had been “approved” for people over 50. The distinction between “approved” and “offered” is quite significant!

Well, Donnelly's quote on the TV news was "The fact that all the vaccines have been cleared for everyone from 50 up means we can keep going at pace". He made it clear here that he was speaking about the four vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Well, Donnelly's quote on the TV news was "The fact that all the vaccines have been cleared for everyone from 50 up means we can keep going at pace". He made it clear here that he was speaking about the four vaccines.
    being cleared doesn't mean they'll be used. it's now highly likely over 50s will receive either J&J or AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My parents are now fully vaccinated . They have since visited their grandkids and they have called to their house. They don’t care anymore.

Great to see people doing normal things again

being cleared doesn't mean they'll be used. it's now highly likely over 50s will receive either J&J or AZ

This Angers me
    So they are going to give the vaccines with the highest effacacy to the youngest,less risk healthy population and leave most 50 to 69yr olds with a less efficacatious vaccine
    Marvelous thinking... :mad:

But there surely can't be enough AZ and J & J doses available to vaccinate 600,000 people aged in their fifties? We haven't even given 600k AZ doses to the entire Irish population in 2021 (I think it's only in the region of 300k so far).

But there surely can't be enough AZ and J & J doses available to vaccinate 600,000 people aged in their fifties? We haven't even given 600k AZ doses to the entire Irish population in 2021 (I think it's only in the region of 300k so far).
    You either give them AZ and J&J or wait until Pfizer comes through and leave AZ and J&J unused. Either results in a delay.

You either give them AZ and J&J or wait until Pfizer comes through and leave AZ and J&J unused. Either results in a delay.

But AZ can still be accounted for with all the second doses needed in coming months.

You seem to be suggesting the earlier proposed scenario where the portal is thrown open to the over 40s whilst hundreds of thousands of people in their 50s haven't even received a first dose yet.

But AZ can still be accounted for with all the second doses needed in coming months.
    I'm not sure what that means tbh. Giving over 50s Pfizer/Moderna leaves AZ and J&J unused. There's more arriving than it will take to do second doses of AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭VonLuck

This Angers me
    So they are going to give the vaccines with the highest effacacy to the youngest,less risk healthy population and leave most 50 to 69yr olds with a less efficacatious vaccine

Don't you realise how lucky we are to not only one, but four vaccines to choose from in such a short period? If all we had was AstraZeneca or J&J I'm sure you'd jump at any chance to get either one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

This Angers me

All of the vaccines are highly effective at preventing death/severe disease. This is what we're after.

I think the pancoronavirus N protein generation of vaccines will be the ones that give us the zero covid dream (totally personal opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I am hoping that you are right in saying that it mutates more slowly and that we will have the necessary tweaks in vaccines to fight it , but it has mutated widely and relatively quickly over the last 15 months and especially to evade vaccination .

It hasn't evaded vaccination though?

VonLuck wrote: »
    Don't you realise how lucky we are to not only one, but four vaccines to choose from in such a short period? If all we had was AstraZeneca or J&J I'm sure you'd jump at any chance to get either one.

Absolutely agree,I'll take what I'm given
    But I feel this decision has been made not on health grounds but on the off chance someone will be unlucky and sue
    Thats my opinion

Not all.

Full rundown here

In reality it is mainly not high risk getting AZ .
    Most of the doctors are vaccinating group 7s with their over 70s and are using Pfizer / Moderna as a result
    That is unless they are just doing the 60 to 69 age group?

This leaves AZ for use mainly in MVCs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

This Angers me

You are clearly over thinking and buying into the "which vaccine is the best" nonsense, the UK are well on course for fully opening up everything and getting back to normal and they have more or less used 32 million AZ vaccine and they are not dying like flies !
    I'm awaiting my first vaccine, having registered on Sat, my wife got her first jab, its irrelevant to me which one i get, they all work.

It hasn't evaded vaccination though?

Not yet , I don't think, but where does anyone say that the fact that it hasn't yet is nothing to worry about or , perish the thought , bring up on a vaccine discussion forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

This Angers me

I think real world data is showing that all vaccines perform pretty similarly by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This Angers me

Once the highly vulnerable are protected its a matter of making the population immune as quickly as possible using whatever is available. Everyone should take what they are given so this happens ASAP and we can all get back to normal. Those who got Pfizer are protecting you as well, remember.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Not yet , I don't think, but where does anyone say that the fact that it hasn't yet is nothing to worry about or , perish the thought , bring up on a vaccine discussion forum ?
    If we dealt in what ifs we would never ever exit the pandemic, we deal in facts thankfully

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    You are clearly over thinking and buying into the "which vaccine is the best" nonsense, the UK are well on course for fully opening up everything and getting back to normal and they have more or less used 32 million AZ vaccine and they are not dying like flies !
    I'm awaiting my first vaccine, having registered on Sat, my wife got her first jab, its irrelevant to me which one i get, they all work.

My issue isn't with the Astra vaccine
    Its effacacy is in the 90's too
    I've no issue being told to take it
    My problem is with jansen with much lower effacacy being given to older people up to 69
    It Does Not work as well as the others,thats a fact
    The only reason its being given to older people is they're afraid of law suits with the tiniest of percentiles
    Thats not science
    Its money :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement