Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm group 7 and heard nothing yet either. Hoping it's soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Faugheen wrote: »
    Reading people's reactions on Twitter is depressing.

For example today, 19,000 extra jabs into peoples arms and people still wondering why it's not 40k+.

Like Christ, do they think these just magically land in GP surgeries at 9am on Monday morning and completely ignore the fact that a lot of planning and logistics goes into this?

Whinging b*stards, the lot of them. Even if it was 40k they'd be crying the next week if it stayed stable or slightly lower.

There are many people, and they're always very vocal, who would be handed a free holiday in Tenerife and would complain that they aren't going to Eleven-terife!

They'd then go on to blame the Government and probably mention the homeless for good measure.

They're not worth listening to!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

George Lee reporting on Six One that the HSE has no plans to change the age cohort system i.e. dismissing the idea that many people in their 50s will be left waiting until mid to late June for a vaccine (because of the age limits on J & J).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Severe Asthma is Group 7.
    Severe seems to be defined as regular use of oral steroids and if you have been hospitalised for asthma but not 100% sure.

Severe or bad asthma is group 4, the receptionist in my GP explained to me that if your asthma or emphysema caused you to frequently have to make visits to the hospital or if you were using a nebuliser you would be considered extreme risk category 4. My sister is in this category and she got her vac on 3rd April. Otherwise if your asthma is manageable with the use of inhalers your classed as category 7.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Severe or bad asthma is group 4, the receptionist in my GP explained to me that if your asthma or emphysema caused you to frequently have to make visits to the hospital or if you were using a nebuliser you would be considered extreme risk category 4. My sister is in this category and she got her vac on 3rd April. Otherwise if your asthma is manageable with the use of inhalers your classed as category 7.

Ok but thats v different from the information on the HSE website which is what I am referencing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Fck me if that's true I'm glad we didn't get any of it. AZ was initially used on cohort 4 that were immuno compromised. If it were sputnik with a live virus that was used on them I shudder to think what the outcome would have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sputnik V have taken to spreading lies on Twitter.

This is on top of providing questionable data to the Brazil regulator and the EMA saying that they lack data around Sputnik V.

Thank god we never purchased Sputnik V.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1387152608318480385

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Turtwig wrote: »
    Fck me if that's true I'm glad we didn't get any of it. AZ was initially used on cohort 4 that were immuno compromised. If it were sputnik with a live virus that was used on them I shudder to think what the outcome would have been!

If whats true?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

JTMan wrote: »
    Sputnik V have taken to spreading lies on Twitter.

This is on top of providing questionable data to the Brazil regulator and the EMA saying that they lack data around Sputnik V.

Thank god we never purchased Sputnik V.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1387152608318480385

The important notes at the bottom of the tweet effectively make the whole statistics useless. Wtf kinda post is that to be making from a vaccine manufacturer. Stay classy

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Forgive me if this has been answered but I’m trying to figure out how the 60-69 rollout fits in with the various priority groups. According to my GP’s office (not my GP himself), I’ll get my dose via the HSE for 60 year olds. According to my cardiologist, I’m in group 7. But I’ve had no luck trying to figure out which of those (60-69 or group 7) would get a vaccine first and none of the gov’t sites spell it out. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the wait time from registering and getting contacted with a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stheno wrote: »
    If whats true?

I err saw a post.
    Stated Sputnik was injecting people with a live adenovirus.

It's gone now. Was it false?:o
    I sincerely hope it was.

I err saw a post.

I sincerely hope it was.

Afraid not.

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1387397186372005893?s=20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sputnik is livest vaccine ever.

Wasnt there a study that showed if you had a cold you wouldnt get infected with covid...
    Could be distorting any of its efficacy studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

degsie wrote: »

My 68 and 64 year parents have both registered now. The 68 year old got a text 6 days after registering and was vaccinated 2 days later. The 64 year old got a text today, 5 days after registering and has an appointment in 2 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Sparko wrote: »
    My 68 and 64 year parents have both registered now. The 68 year old got a text 6 days after registering and was vaccinated 2 days later. The 64 year old got a text today, 5 days after registering and has an appointment in 2 days time.

Glad to hear they are already doing the 60-64 age group, at least in some locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

degsie wrote: »

No idea, differs from area to area.

Father 65 registered Monday 19th, no text yet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A good article with graphics on how the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine is made.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/health/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mammy and GF both have fatigue, headaches and dizziness after their Moderna vaccine yesterday. All in all, they're both doing fine though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I err saw a post.

I sincerely hope it was.
    I posted it. Then said "naaah" and deleted it to recheck what I had posted. But now even Derek Lowe is picking up on it.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/brazil-rejects-the-gamaleya-vaccine

It sounds like it was probably a manufacturing error. Now why this wasn't picked up by quality control is a good question. Either way I'm very glad we didn't take the advice of who-ever told us to get this vaccine.

hmmm wrote: »
    I posted it. Then said "naaah" and deleted it to recheck what I had posted. But now even Derek Lowe is picking up on it.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/brazil-rejects-the-gamaleya-vaccine

It sounds like it was probably a manufacturing error. Now why this wasn't picked up by quality control is a good question. Either way I'm very glad we didn't take the advice of who-ever told us to get this vaccine.

Doesnt say much for the authorities in countries which did authorise it either...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

hmmm wrote: »

There were a few posters on this thread calling for it, I'd imagine they'll be pretty quiet about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Amirani wrote: »
    There were a few posters on this thread calling for it, I'd imagine they'll be pretty quiet about that now.

Probably the same posters who wanted us to swap all our current Pfizer and future deliveries for Germany's AZ stockpile.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Amirani wrote: »

Let the shaming commence!

Or the appreciation for those who called it. This has aged well.
    Honestly, I will gladly sign a waiver to get an AZ vaccine. I like the odds being longer than being hit by a car.

But I will never let anybody near me with Sputnik. No fng way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Are the HSE stockpiling Covid vaccines now ? I was wondering as it has been the mantra throughout the vaccination campaign that vaccine supplies are administered as soon as they arrive and earlier in the year they gave a figure of 95%+ of all doses delivered having been administered. Yet today the Department of Health said that up to last Sunday over 1.7m doses of vaccine had been delivered to Ireland with just over 1.4m administerd by Monday, meaning approx 300,000 doses or 17% of all deliveries had still not been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

heyjude wrote: »
    Are the HSE stockpiling Covid vaccines now ? I was wondering as it has been the mantra throughout the vaccination campaign that vaccine supplies are administered as soon as they arrive and earlier in the year they gave a figure of 95%+ of all doses delivered having been administered. Yet today the Department of Health said that up to last Sunday over 1.7m doses of vaccine had been delivered to Ireland with just over 1.4m administerd by Monday, meaning approx 300,000 doses or 17% of all deliveries had still not been used.

I’m sure they’ll be used this week mostly - hopefully all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd say they would struggle to jab 300k between Sunday and Monday. Maybe try spread it out over 7 days, so just as you run out a new delivery arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That's about 10 days worth of supply, before you even start taking out doses being kept back for 2nd shots, hardly a massive stockpile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Seven in ten adults in the UK now have Covid antibodies in the week to April 11:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-antibodies-seven-in-ten-england-ons-vaccine-pandemic-b932122.html

And substantially more vaccinated in the meantime.

I think I'll buy the inflatable donkey for the beach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement