Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Derek Lowe is not happy. How often has the word "bull****" appeared in Science magazine?
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/russian-vaccine-behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Faugheen wrote: »
    Reading people's reactions on Twitter is depressing.

For example today, 19,000 extra jabs into peoples arms and people still wondering why it's not 40k+.

Like Christ, do they think these just magically land in GP surgeries at 9am on Monday morning and completely ignore the fact that a lot of planning and logistics goes into this?

Whinging b*stards, the lot of them. Even if it was 40k they'd be crying the next week if it stayed stable or slightly lower.

Never read the follow-up comments on Twitter. If a politician or whatever says anything, read his comment, and ignore the subsequent.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    There are many people, and they're always very vocal, who would be handed a free holiday in Tenerife and would complain that they aren't going to Eleven-terife!

They'd then go on to blame the Government and probably mention the homeless for good measure.

They're not worth listening to!

They'd complain they got the holiday to Tenerife but it was only a 4-star hotel they were staying in.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    George Lee reporting on Six One that the HSE has no plans to change the age cohort system i.e. dismissing the idea that many people in their 50s will be left waiting until mid to late June for a vaccine (because of the age limits on J & J).

Those in their 50s were never going to be left to wait....especially as they had already said no to teachers/Gardai in favour of said system. And rightly so - plough on with these - get the vaccines administered and forget about who is getting what vaccine.

I reckon the EU vaccine passport will focus a lot of minds regarding vaccination. If anything, it makes the single dose J&J vaccine even more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those in their 50s were never going to be left to wait....especially as they had already said no to teachers/Gardai in favour of said system. And rightly so - plough on with these - get the vaccines administered and forget about who is getting what vaccine.

I reckon the EU vaccine passport will focus a lot of minds regarding vaccination. If anything, it makes the single dose J&J vaccine even more appealing.

Perhaps the HSE secretly think that J & J may well come back into play for the under 50s in June. A lot of the talk that we will be left with hundreds of thousands of unusable J & J doses in June is mere media / Twitter speculation and is not coming from the people actually running the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

I wonder what percentage of Cohort 3 will refuse to get vaccinated. They’re at 92.5% uptake so far which is amazing. But there will be a small number who don’t want it and it’ll be interesting to see how big that small number will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If you're on cohort 7, is it worth getting on to your GP (as some seem to be getting it in that cohort) or just sit and wait?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Speculation and sources now saying they may have Pfizer for over 70s AZ and J&J for 50 -69 and start the Pfizer rollout to 40-49

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vaccine-plan-redrawn-to-accelerate-rollout-as-summer-reopening-plans-finalised-1.4549489?mode=amp
    The HSE and the vaccine experts are now examining the logistics of running an inoculation programme using four different drugs.

It is understood officials may look at the potential of allocating specific vaccines to specific age groups, which could be easier operationally. That could open up another age cohort for vaccination to be done in parallel with an older cohort.

One senior source said that 60-69 year olds would soon be given the AstraZeneca vaccine. “We will move to the 50-59 year olds with Johnson & Johnson. So what do we do with all the Pfizer shots? Could we do the 40-49 bracket?” the source speculated.

Stheno wrote: »
    Speculation and sources now saying they may have Pfizer for over 70s AZ and J&J for 50 -69 and start the Pfizer rollout to 40-49

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vaccine-plan-redrawn-to-accelerate-rollout-as-summer-reopening-plans-finalised-1.4549489?mode=amp

That contradicts what George Lee said at 6 : he said that the descending age cohort system will proceed as was planned and there is no question of two age cohorts opening simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Stheno wrote: »

That is from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That contradicts what George Lee said at 6 : he said that the descending age cohort system will proceed as was planned and there is no question of two age cohorts opening simultaneously.
    Well we'll just delay the rollout then. You're constantly pushing that this will have no change despite multiple reports of the contrary.

Well we'll just delay the rollout then. You're constantly pushing that this will have no change despite multiple reports of the contrary.

Reports of what....that they'll start vaccinating the 40-49s with mRNA soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

titan18 wrote: »
    If you're on cohort 7, is it worth getting on to your GP (as some seem to be getting it in that cohort) or just sit and wait?

Make sure the GP has you on their list. After that, it's just a matter of waiting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I know a couple of 60-64 year olds who got appointment texts within a day or two of registering and appointments are within a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

It’s worth it to make sure you’re on their list at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't think Geroge Lee would somehow know the ins and outs of what the HSE would be thinking of doing

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Worth giving them a call. My husband is supposedly on a list from the Mater to be done in the Aviva, but no sign of an appointment. His consultant told him to take one from the gp if offered, so he rang this afternoon. The gp receptionist confirmed they will be vaccinating 4/7 next week, so hopefully he'll be sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The issue is the government going against NIAC advise, not vaccine hesitancy for J&J and AZ. If they plough on, as is suggested, they will either have to ignore NIAC advice, which I don't see happening, or face vaccine shortages when we get to the under 50's rollout.

Unless the govt know something we don't, this is an extremely short sighted decision that will leave us snookered come June.

I don't think Geroge Lee would somehow know the ins and outs of what the HSE would be thinking of doing

Possibly the case, but the Irish Times article and his piece flatly contradict each other anyway, so somebody is right and somebody is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

No but the HSE needs to take account of the views of George Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Turtwig wrote: »
    I err saw a post.
    Stated Sputnik was injecting people with a live adenovirus.

They'll be selling Sputnik VI soon, which also protects you from the Adenovirus in Sputnik V.

snotboogie wrote: »
    The issue is the government going against NIAC advise, not vaccine hesitancy for J&J and AZ. If they plough on, as is suggested, they will either have to ignore NIAC advice, which I don't see happening, or face vaccine shortages when we get to the under 50's rollout.

Unless the govt know something we don't, this is an extremely short sighted decision that will leave us snookered come June.

Our deliveries don't just stop in June. We have ordered significantly more vaccines than we actually need, and with Pfizer speeding up their deliveries things are looking pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I know a couple of 60-64 year olds who got appointment texts within a day or two of registering and appointments are within a week!

Yet they are only doing just over 8000/day of 60-69 year old and there are over 400,000 of these. So you would be expecting them to be vaccinating these for another 4 weeks. So your experience above suggests that they are not taking people by age within this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Yet they are only doing just over 6000/day of 60-69 year old and there are over 400,000 of these. So you would be expecting them to be vaccinating these for another 4 or 5 weeks. So your experience above suggests that they are not taking people by age within this group.

What? So those days where there were over 40k shots last week we’re still mostly cohort 3 & 4 in GPs? Doesn’t seem right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Our deliveries don't just stop in June. We have ordered significantly more vaccines than we actually need, and with Pfizer speeding up their deliveries things are looking pretty good.

The schedule to the end of June includes 500k J&J, which are backended almost completely in June. Despite what we have ordered, we won't have an excess of vaccines until Q4 at best, most likely not until 2022. We won't be able to make up 500k J&J with Pfizer for months. We will have a serious slowdown in June if we follow the plan mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Yet they are only doing just over 6000/day of 60-69 year old and there are over 400,000 of these. So you would be expecting them to be vaccinating these for another 4 or 5 weeks. So your experience above suggests that they are not taking people by age within this group.

They mustn’t be- one person only just turned 60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

nibtrix wrote: »
    What? So those days where there were over 40k shots last week we’re still mostly cohort 3 & 4 in GPs? Doesn’t seem right

Because it's not. They've done 63k shots in cohort 5 up to Monday, with 10k on Monday alone. They only started last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No don't wait . Ring your GP . They are getting fortnightly supplies atm to do group 7s and older patients , so they will need to know who is still waiting .
    We were in the same position with my husband who has two conditions , one treated in hospital, one treated by GP .
    He would be group 7 but didn't want to ring anyone " They'll contact me " !

Turned out his hospital were only doing group 4 , fair enough , so we rang the GP ,and we got a call a few days later with an appointment for when they were doing all their vaccinations . He's had first dose Pfizer done now , thankfully.
    But the GP thought he was being done by the hospital until we told them different.

Currently half a million vaccines in this country unused at the moment. It has to be expected that we hit a huge number this week. The 7 day average of 28,000 should be doubled this week. Around 250,000 people have registered for a vaccine in their 60s alone so that should be low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Because it's not. They've done 63k shots in cohort 5 up to Monday, with 10k on Monday alone. They only started last Tuesday.

I have amended my post,but even at 60000 a week it would take 6 weeks to do the 60 year olds, assuming that 360,000 of the approximate 420,000 are done in this way. Perhaps there are more of them who are being done by doctors as cohorts 4 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

hmmm wrote: »
    Derek Lowe is not happy. How often has the word "bull****" appeared in Science magazine?
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/russian-vaccine-behavior

Jesus, that is a weird turn of events. I did argue they should file for EMA regulatory approval, but it just goes to show...... WTF Russiya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hardyn wrote: »

Is that the same Angela Rasmussen who posted whataboutery regarding the origins of the virus and managed to get it published in Nature? My reading of the Brazilian decision kinda matches their take on it (the vector is potentially able to replicate, but I keep a wide berth of the authors of that paper I mentioned.

I need to dig into the Lancet paper that showed sputnikV efficacy a bit more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement