Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

muddypuppy wrote: »

Nice name :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The one thing I've noticed since the start of the situation where vaccines are now part of everyone's daily conversation almost is the easy substitution in language from regular conversation topics. All this 'the vaccines are now useless', from early, limited news bites, is similar to 'he's feckin useless' after their teams striker misses a chance. Over the top, reactionary, impatient and non logical assessments just to have an exaggerated opinion on something. I mean, I'm not surprised as that's how a lot of modern life is, it's just interesting to see in something more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How many people are over 60 in Ireland?

How many of them haven't been vaccinated already?

Think we're due 800k of AZ by end of Q2 and 600k of J&J
    So enough to fully vaccinated a million people.

If J&J is going to be restricted to over 60s we might be left with a lot of them left over as I doubt there is a million over 60 still to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Oh, I thought Ireland was doing a 12 week gap between AZ doses, has this changed ?

Anyone healthy under the age of 60 (e.g. healthcare workers) will get their second dose after 16 weeks : 12 weeks for all other AZ recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

funnydoggy wrote: »
    They've paused, not suspended. The incidence of J&J clots seems to be much, much lower than the AZ clots.

A non-issue really

Time will tell. The AZ Started off in similar fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jesus Christ, reading through the last 10 pages of (mostly) ****e is probably worse than getting Covid! Can we return to the old thread, this is a joke

Lucas Hood wrote: »

If J&J is going to be restricted to over 60s we might be left with a lot of them left over as I doubt there is a million over 60 still to be vaccinated.

400,000 people between the age of 60 and 69 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I read yesterday that there are 400k between age 60-69

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Time will tell. The AZ Started off in similar fashion.

Fingers crossed.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    6 cases out of 7 million jabs, all women.

More data to come I'm sure, but the risk to men must be infinitesimal.

Continue jabbing men with it while we figure out why it's affecting women.

6/3,500,000 in women versus 0/3,500,000 in men is a very low rate to determine is the apparent difference a true difference. The chance of 6 heads in a row is 1 in 26 for example. That's why the review is conducted - to establish is the observed difference a real difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    The US have paused the use of the J&J vaccine due to blood clots. big news.

The only reason it’s being paused is for caution and the fact their other options won’t hinder their roll out. They can afford to be cautious. If the world depended on AZ and J&J you can bet the pauses would be very short lived when you consider the damage Covid is doing vs the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The only reason it’s being paused is for caution and the fact their other options won’t hinder their roll out. If the world depended on AZ and J&J you can bet the pauses would be very short lived.

I'm struck by how low their J & J doses are - 7m doses given but they're heading up towards 200m vaccinations in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Corholio wrote: »
    The one thing I've noticed since the start of the situation where vaccines are now part of everyone's daily conversation almost is the easy substitution in language from regular conversation topics. All this 'the vaccines are now useless', from early, limited news bites, is similar to 'he's feckin useless' after their teams striker misses a chance. Over the top, reactionary, impatient and non logical assessments just to have an exaggerated opinion on something. I mean, I'm not surprised as that's how a lot of modern life is, it's just interesting to see in something more important.

Thanks for that David Foster Wallace.

And no surprise to see the media here jumping all over the J&J story. Will they be as eager and quick to report when it's being used again I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And no surprise to see the media here jumping all over the J&J story. Will they be as eager and quick to report when it's being used again I wonder

Media in reporting news story shocker.

Where on earth would you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Fúck me what's going on?? Mods can the thread be locked for the day or something?

Just report the posts, the mods will do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks for that David Foster Wallace.

Ironically Infinite Jest is how I'd treat such snark.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Australia is not using Moderna, they using Pfizer as the preferred and Novavax and AZ is actually still available to under 50s just have to consult your doctor and sign a waiver.

They wont approve J&J as it will probably go same as AZ, which is more bad news than a bad vaccine.

They are now considering making Pfizer onshore but the biggest problem is sourcing the Lipids, I listened to a discussion on the Radio that the Pfizer will probably need a booster so it would be thinking long term.

Pfizer has its own bad news lingering in the background just AZ stole the limelight.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajh.26132

Is this a genuine issue with Pfizer? Haven't seen any reports

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Media in reporting news story shocker.

Where on earth would you get it.

Of course they are going to report but it's the veracity of the reporting I have an issue with. As I said, will they be as eager to report if the vaccines are given the all clear? Doubt it, and that won't be a "shocker"

Fair play to those of you giving reasonable arguments and having the patience to do so, you’re all better people than I am.

Those who believe that AZ is poison and that J&J is finished before it’s even started will never change their views sadly.

This was a really interesting thread, gone to the dogs the last few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is this a genuine issue with Pfizer? Haven't seen any reports

Not believed to be an issue for either PB or MD. It's always possible there are issues relating to these that are undetected. It's always possible there are no such issues. What's known at this time is that there are no issues relating clotting associated with either of these vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Novavax as far as I'm aware have no history of producing vaccines, yet were promising huge volumes of their Covid vaccine. I realise they have partnered with some major manufacturers, but it was always an odd story I thought.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't meet their targets.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Australia is not using Moderna, they using Pfizer as the preferred and Novavax and AZ is actually still available to under 50s just have to consult your doctor and sign a waiver.

They wont approve J&J as it will probably go same as AZ, which is more bad news than a bad vaccine.

They are now considering making Pfizer onshore but the biggest problem is sourcing the Lipids, I listened to a discussion on the Radio that the Pfizer will probably need a booster so it would be thinking long term.

Pfizer has its own bad news lingering in the background just AZ stole the limelight.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajh.26132

I think the rates in AZ are significantly higher than expected with vaccines and medications in general.

Lots of drugs can trigger Thrombocytopenia. The rates in Pfizer dont seem to be of any concern

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I read yesterday that there are 400k between age 60-69

400K who are no fools and will make up their own minds. A high proportion of which vote..

That vaccine transmission being part of modeling now is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting WSJ article trying to answer 2 key questions on immunity length, protection on new variants and boosters:

1. How long will protection last?
    - As previously reported, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines last at least 6 months.
    - University of Arizona said the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines "likely provide at least some degree of protection for a long time because there are so many layers of immunity".
    - It’s possible some level of protection could last for years or even decades, some scientists say.
    - A 2020 Nature study found that patients who got SARS—a similar coronavirus to the one that causes Covid-19—still had T cell immunity 17 years later.
    - A 2008 Nature study found that survivors of the 1918 influenza pandemic were able to produce antibodies from memory B cells when exposed to the same influenza strain nine decades later.

2. Will we need boosters?
    - It’s possible for a variant to reduce a vaccine’s protection but not entirely eliminate it.
    - The mRNA vaccines elicit antibody levels that are generally higher than a natural infection. Even if a variant prevents some antibodies from binding to the virus, the vaccines create so many antibodies that they should still offer some protection, says Dr. Hensley. But we don’t know how much, and for how long.
    - Boosters will likely be needed for at least a few years “out of an abundance of caution, knowing that immunity does wane in some individuals more than others”.

Sounds like immunity is likely to last for many years but due to a (1) likely abundance of caution, (2) exceptional cases where immunity wanes and (3) slightly weakened protection from variants ... that we will need boosters but maybe only for the next few years. Hopefully the Irish government is starting to plan for boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Every man and woman deserves a MRNA vaccine.

Send the bag of dung AZ vaccines to the deepest darkest pits of Africa as part of COVAX, and give Pfizer whatever they want for the good stuff.

Are you for real???
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Well well well, the US now calling for a halt on the JNJ vaccine due to blood clots...

Guess those "nutjobs" saying they had concerns about a vaccine rushed through without the full effects being known were onto something after all.

Looking forward to the "it's still less risky than getting the virus!" comments.

The exact opposite of your point is the case. Phase III safety trials were completed in full. No trial can possibly detect all risks, especially those are an extremely low occurrence rate. The only way these can be detected is during mass rollout. The ongoing monitoring that has detected the additional risks is the system working as intended. This process will likely refine the risk to specific subsets in the medium term.

So, in summary, the nutjobs are still nutjobs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement