Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fiancee got her Pfizer at lunchtime

She's delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

snotboogie wrote: »
    Worth noting the clear difference in the effectiveness of Western vaccines vs Chinese and Russian vaccines in stopping the spread of Covid.

There are 6 large countries with over 70 shots per 100, 3 are using just Western vaccines and 3 are using a mix of both but primarily Chinese vaccines.

The Western countries are averaging 68 cases per million with an average of 86 doses per 100 and the counties using Chinese vaccines are averaging 381 cases per million with an average of 83.5 shots per 100.

Excuse the crude calculation but I definitely see a pattern emerging. Also I am not saying the Chinese vaccines don't work, or don't help to reduce the spread (because it looks like they do) just that they are far less effective than Pfizer, Moderna and AZ.

From other data, I understand that some of the Chinese vaccines are less effective at protecting against symptomatic disease at the mild/moderate level but are strong at protective against sever disease and hospitalisation.

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm also one of them...GPs are to do them (us) now it appears

I called a GP (cohort 4 but not attending a GP) and got a vaccine this morning (Thursday). Got the same message from HSE as you said and auctioned it. If your own GP or hospital service is not doing it then they should give you the name of some others or, in extremis, do a ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

GF's dad got his AZ vaccine now.

That's mammy, both grandas, girlfriend and her parents with a vaccine. Brilliant. That covers all the vulnerable people close to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What's going on in Bulgaria?
    they put all their eggs in the cheap as chips Astra Zeneca basket but that chicken didnt lay many eggs.
    I didnt realise they were that bad off for vaccines.

• Advertisement

funnydoggy wrote: »
    GF's dad got his AZ vaccine now.

That's mammy, both grandas, girlfriend and her parents with a vaccine. Brilliant. That covers all the vulnerable people close to me!

Just be carefull untill 2 weeks after their 2nd dose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Don't know if this has been all ready posted but some nice real world data on the effectiveness of one dose of vaccine on transmission.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/health-56904993.amp

Yes, I posted it a few pages back, plus a link to the paper.
    It really is very very good news indeed.
    The more we learn about this virus, how vaccines DO make a difference, the sooner we can start living and enjoying each day, appreciate what we have, going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Just be carefull untill 2 weeks after their 2nd dose :)

Oh absolutely. Some of them had their vaccine last week so even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Marcusm wrote: »
    I called a GP (cohort 4 but not attending a GP) and got a vaccine this morning (Thursday). Got the same message from HSE as you said and auctioned it. If your own GP or hospital service is not doing it then they should give you the name of some others or, in extremis, do a ring around.

GP has sorted me..getting Pfizer on Monday..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Well both my parents who are in the 75-80 age group got their vaccine on Wednesday, they had to contact the doctor again to get the appointment, so not sure what happened their but its a relief they have it now anyway.

A day earlier I also got a call from my gp for my first dose a week on Friday (due to a health condition I have)
    So great news for me this week...

• Advertisement

GP has sorted me..getting Pfizer on Monday..thanks

Double bubble overtime on a bank holiday Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well both my parents who are in the 75-80 age group got their vaccine on Wednesday, they had to contact the doctor again to get the appointment, so not sure what happened their but its a relief they have it now anyway.

A day earlier I also got a call from my gp for my first dose a week on Friday (due to a health condition I have)
    So great news for me this week...
    So what's with the negativity on the other thread then?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

they put all their eggs in the cheap as chips Astra Zeneca basket but that chicken didnt lay many eggs.
    I didnt realise they were that bad off for vaccines.

A salutary lesson to those who said "Ireland should have avoided the EU bloc party and negotiated their own vaccines".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

What's going on in Bulgaria?

Not much:)

Germany gave 1.1 million jabs yesterday, so most given in any European country in a day . Probably most in a day outside of the USA.

Thats only using the vaccination centres and GPs. There'll be another ramp up in May and June with vaccinations in companies (especially in large firms where theres normally an onsite clinic), starting with higher risk employees like in retail or transport and then all companies in June, but just like everywhere supply is the issue at the moment.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Double bubble overtime on a bank holiday Monday!

Said they're doing a 12 hr day

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A salutary lesson to those who said "Ireland should have avoided the EU bloc party and negotiated their own vaccines".

I think Bulgaria did participate in the EU scheme.
    They didn't take their full allocation of the more expensive Pfizer - one of the places Denmark got their extras from.
    They ordered enough of the cheaper AZ to cover their population but we know AZ deliveries have been disappointing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think Bulgaria did participate in the EU scheme.
    They didn't take their full allocation of the more expensive Pfizer - one of the places Denmark got their extras from.
    They ordered enough of the cheaper AZ to cover their population but we know AZ deliveries have been disappointing.
    they did indeed, but they were too tight to go and spread the risk by having a proper mix of vaccines, and ordered far more AZ from the EU than anything else but then got caught out by the lack of supplies from that one supplier

they did indeed, but they were too tight to go and spread the risk by having a proper mix of vaccines, and ordered far more AZ from the EU than anything else but then got caught out by the lack of supplies from that one supplier

Should redirect Denmarks AZ supply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I can't believe what I read on this thread sometimes. People are talking about AZ or J&J as though they are some junk like Sputnik (which is the only one I won't take).

Both AZ and J&J are virtually 100% effective against death, hospitalisation and serious illness. People need to get this into their head and the rare blood clots are rarer than being in a car crash, getting clots due to covid, slipping on a banana skin, and the million other risks we think nothing of every day. They would not have been approved by the EMA if they weren't.

I wish people would just post "I got my vaccine this morning and I'm delighted" rather than "I got Pfizer so I am delighted" as though anything other than Pfizer and they wouldn't have been delighted - I just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What age group are you?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Germany gave 1.1 million jabs yesterday, so most given in any European country in a day . Probably most in a day outside of the USA.

Thats only using the vaccination centres and GPs. There'll be another ramp up in May and June with vaccinations in companies (especially in large firms where theres normally an onsite clinic), starting with higher risk employees like in retail or transport and then all companies in June, but just like everywhere supply is the issue at the moment.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/
    https://www.politico.eu/article/germanys-coronavirus-vaccine-side-deal-at-odds-with-legally-binding-eu-pact/

They probably won't be far behind the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I can't believe what I read on this thread sometimes. People are talking about AZ or J&J as though they are some junk like Sputnik (which is the only one I won't take).

Both AZ and J&J are virtually 100% effective against death, hospitalisation and serious illness. People need to get this into their head and the rare blood clots are rarer than being in a car crash, getting clots due to covid, slipping on a banana skin, and the million other risks we think nothing of every day. They would not have been approved by the EMA if they weren't.

I wish people would just post "I got my vaccine this morning and I'm delighted" rather than "I got Pfizer so I am delighted" as though anything other than Pfizer and they wouldn't have been delighted - I just don't get it.

There seem to be a bigger selection of higher risk side effects with Pfizer, including Bels Palsy - I think AZ is the best of them , no doubt. I had it a month ago.

I'm getting Pfizer on Monday and I'm delighted...if it was AZ I'd be very much less than delighted..probably a bit p!ssed off.
    The reason?
    I'll be fully vaxxed end of May rather than end of July..
    Plus I may have dodged a one in a million bullet with AZ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bulgaria are in the EU scheme. Plenty of small countries who went it alone are doing better than any country in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm getting Pfizer on Monday and I'm delighted...if it was AZ I'd be very much less than delighted..probably a bit p!ssed off.
    The reason?

Well I for one am thrilled to have AZ and in fact they were saying yesterday that people could meet up four weeks after Dose 1 of AZ . I think its really unfair to put down AZ as so many of us are happy to have it .

Not aimed at you but the vaccine snobbery is very annoying in my opinion .

the extra jabs that Germany ordered, from extra doses produced in plants in their own country (created from ingredients also from new plants in Germany) that they chucked over a billion euro at to get set up, wont be delivered till september, so its not taking from the overall european deal.

The end game of all this of course isnt to sort ouselves for this summer with herd immunity, its to get enough home grown EU capacity for vaccine production for the boosters needed over the next few years, without the risk of the UK or USA shafting us

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The reason?

Happy for you but there are plenty of people reading these boards who have no choice but to get AZ. I know you don’t mean it but your post is unhelpful.

AZ is an excellent vaccine. I’ve had several family members who have received it and they are delighted they have.

revelman wrote: »
    Happy for you but there are plenty of people reading these boards who have no choice but to get AZ. I know you don’t mean it but your post is unhelpful.

AZ is an excellent vaccine. I’ve had several family members who have received it and they are delighted they have.

Yes, You are correct..
    In hindsight to my earlier post, I guess I'm happy just to be getting vaccinated..
    And I realise that if it was AZ I'd still be very well protected after dose 1,,and sure look, it could have been J&J and I'd be done in one go..
    They're all great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I agree , I and all my friends were over the moon to get a vaccine .We got AZ and my whatapp is pinging all week with delighted friends holding their vaccine card . The vaccine snobbery on here I dont think is a reflection of whats going on as all my friends are quite simply thrilled to get A vaccine
    My daughter got AZ in London this week and said the people in the queue were over the moon to get it .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement