Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm getting Pfizer on Monday and I'm delighted...if it was AZ I'd be very much less than delighted..probably a bit p!ssed off.
    The reason?
    I'll be fully vaxxed end of May rather than end of July..
    Plus I may have dodged a one in a million bullet with AZ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyQ2luZAWo

There are probably plenty of more bullets in the chamber, one can never rely in luck.

Personally I think thes Campbell guy is a phucking disgrace, working his hardest to discredit the J&J and Pfizer vaccines because his cherished British vacine AZ has some rare side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm getting Pfizer on Monday and I'm delighted...if it was AZ I'd be very much less than delighted..probably a bit p!ssed off.
    The reason?
    I'll be fully vaxxed end of May rather than end of July..
    Plus I may have dodged a one in a million bullet with AZ..

I agree with you with the delay. As for dodging the 1 in a million bullet I am guessing you do not do anything that results in stuff that is less then one in a million. You know the chances of getting Bells Palsy is q in ten thousand with Pfizer. I was not worried of which one I got. Would have loved J&J as its one and done but happy with Pfizer I got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well I for one am thrilled to have AZ and in fact they were saying yesterday that people could meet up four weeks after Dose 1 of AZ . I think its really unfair to put down AZ as so many of us are happy to have it .

Not aimed at you but the vaccine snobbery is very annoying in my opinion .

And time will show AZ was the best vaccine, Pfizer talking about a 3rd dose already I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Widescreen wrote: »
    And time will show AZ was the best vaccine, Pfizer talking about a 3rd dose already I think.
    its a dose against the variants, not because the original vaccine was cr@p.

The brits are ordering 10s of millions of doses of Pfizer too for the same reason, to give a 3rd dose on top of the 2x Astra Zenecas
    The pfizer can be adjusted and tweaked far easier than the AZ which is why they need it and not a new AZ jab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyQ2luZAWo

There are probably plenty of more bullets in the chamber, one can never rely in luck.

Personally I think thes Campbell guy is a phucking disgrace, working his hardest to discredit the J&J and Pfizer vaccines because his cherished British vacine AZ has some rare side effects.

Mr Campbell is not on the ball very much anymore. In that video he discussed the fall in cases in Czech republic and the correlation with the introduction of the Ivermectin hherapeutic drug. A therapy given to people who already have the virus and are getting the drug in hospitals and clinics is somehow preventing people from getting the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I agree , I and all my friends were over the moon to get a vaccine .We got AZ and my whatapp is pinging all week with delighted friends holding their vaccine card . The vaccine snobbery on here I dont think is a reflection of whats going on as all my friends are quite simply thrilled to get A vaccine
    My daughter got AZ in London this week and said the people in the queue were over the moon to get it .

I see a couple of downsides with AZ, but the main one now is if the government goes the fully vaccinated route. The rumours say 4 weeks, but you open up a box that essentially everyone after one vaccine will think they’re grand. So personally they will have to go the fully vaccinated route. The other problem being that C if I’m grand after 4 then I don’t need the second one…

So, if you were a nurse and got it a couple of weeks ago, you wouldn’t be fully vaccinated until September. I’m sure the vaccination thing is only kite flying right now, but if it did come in no one would get AZ. I’d have a better chance of waiting to get another and being fully vaccinated before I would be with AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

According to Alan Kelly, 220,000 in the 60-69 age cohort have not registered (so far) online/phone.

This is quite a sizeable proportion of that age cohort is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

My 66 year old father (no underlying conditions) registered on 18 Apr and just got called for appointment this Sunday (Mayo).

66 year old mother registered at the same time but hasn't heard anything yet, should be soon though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

More on the vaccination of 12-15 year olds from the Guardian:
    - Submission from Pfizer to the EMA next Wednesday.
    - EMA approval expected in June.

This hopefully means that Ireland can start vaccinating 12-15 year olds in July.

Looks like some excellent progress with younger groups too ...
    Both companies are also racing to get the jab approved for younger children, from six months upwards.

"In July, the first results for five to 12-year-olds could be available, and those for younger children in September," he said.

Ongoing trials so far are "very encouraging", Mr Sahin said, suggesting that "children are very well protected by the vaccine".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

1huge1 wrote: »
    According to Alan Kelly, 220,000 in the 60-69 age cohort have not registered (so far) online/phone.

I guess there might be all sorts of reasons for this, beyond simple vaccine hesitancy or people trying to be choosy about which vaccine they get. Presumably a lot of them will get vaccinated at some point in the next few weeks or months.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    More on the vaccination of 12-15 year olds from the Guardian:
    - Submission from Pfizer to the EMA next Wednesday.
    - EMA approval expected in June.

This hopefully means that Ireland can start vaccinating 12-15 year olds in July.

Meanwhile, Merkel has expressed concern about those aged 11 and under being un-vaccinated for some time. She said "we will have a difficult situation at the elementary schools in autumn. There we have to adjust to operations with unvaccinated children". Merkel might be wrong on the timeline. She says Spring 2022 for under 11 vaccinations. Fauci says Q4 2021 or Q1 2022. Others have said it could be as early as October 2021.

If only primary kids are vaccinated, it wont be much of an issue. For us that's about 13% of the population or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strazdas wrote: »
    I guess there might be all sorts of reasons for this, beyond simple vaccine hesitancy or people trying to be choosy about which vaccine they get. Presumably a lot of them will get vaccinated at some point in the next few weeks and months.

How many of the 60-69 have already been vaccinated, either being in nursing homes or HCW's etc...
    Or is the 200k accounting for that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Strazdas wrote: »
    I guess there might be all sorts of reasons for this, beyond simple vaccine hesitancy or people trying to be choosy about which vaccine they get. Presumably a lot of them will get vaccinated at some point in the next few weeks and months.

Thats obviously my hope as well, but I can't help but feel all the PR mess with AZ and the rollout pause really hasn't done them any favours.

An amazing vaccine by any measure curtailed by overly cautious decisions which are now putting some people off by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭dan786

I had my first dose of AZ back in Feb, was not too concerned about blood clots and most medicines that people take on regular basis also has 1 in a million chance of severe side affects.

The only thing I would be concerned about is if that chance increases with second dose. There is not much data available as not many have had a second dose.

The gap is now 16 weeks between doses which is also putting alot of people off. People want to travel this summer and would rather be fully vaccinated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

If only primary kids are not vaccinated, it wont be much of an issue. For us that's about 13% of the population or so.

RTE now reporting a much more optimistic timeline for those aged under 11. (So Merkel's comments are likely incorrect).

Wolf359f wrote: »
    How many of the 60-69 have already been vaccinated, either being in nursing homes or HCW's etc...

The 200k seems to refer to eligible ordinary members of the public who failed to register with the portal, rather than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

dan786 wrote: »

The gap is now 16 weeks between doses which is also putting alot of people off. People want to travel this summer and would rather be fully vaccinated quickly.

Is it official that the gap was increased to 16 weeks?
    I thought they decided against ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I had my first dose of AZ back in Feb, was not too concerned about blood clots and most medicines that people take on regular basis also has 1 in a million chance of severe side affects.

The only thing I would be concerned about is if that chance increases with second dose. There is not much data available as not many have had a second dose.

Only one of the UK doses that caused a side effect was a second dose in figures that were posted here some time last week.

Same boat as you, my 12 weeks for second appointment are mid June so prob mid July now with 16 weeks but I will get it. I know what to look out for and an effective treatment available

Thats obviously my hope as well, but I can't help but feel all the PR mess with AZ and the rollout pause really hasn't done them any favours.

An amazing vaccine by any measure curtailed by overly cautious decisions which are now putting some people off by the looks of it.

I'd say though the more that people get vaccinated, the more that these hesitant people will come under pressure to get a vaccination, especially once we go over say the 3m mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

There would be a lot of those who wouldnt need to have registered as they may have been in either of the groups you mentioned or also medically vulnerable so contacted through other means. I cant imagine vaccine hesitancy really kicking in to any great degree until you hit the 18-30s roughly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Isn't the 16 week gap effectively only for people under 60 who would have stopped receiving AZ a couple of weeks ago, so max of probably around 14 weeks from now, which is what, end of july-ish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

duffman13 wrote: »
    Only one of the UK doses that caused a side effect was a second dose in figures that were posted here some time last week.

Same boat as you, my 12 weeks for second appointment are mid June so prob mid July now with 16 weeks but I will get it. I know what to look out for and an effective treatment available
    There's now been 4 of the rare blood clotting events in the UK after second doses reported now. However they haven't released how many second doses have been administered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

JP100 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze the amount of people who claim to possess other people's minds and tell us what they're thinking! At the end of day, he's doing a helpful and good thing, so fair play to him and less of the begrudgery please.

Am not a fan but yeah , fair enough , maybe he is just trying to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's now been 4 of the rare blood clotting events in the UK after second doses reported now. However they haven't released how many second doses have been administered yet.

Do you know the time frame it happened within after the second dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I registered the day it opened for over 60s, last Friday maybe, can't remember, anyway got appt for next Tuesday, I'm 61. That's pretty quick I wasn't expecting it so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The first mistake you made was listening to Alan Kelly about anything.

He's probably partly, right, partly wrong. Say my mother and father in law are in that age group. They got a shout from their GP to come for vaccination. They were due to register in the last few days but didn't need to.

It is very possible that they are in that 220k cohort that Alan is raising. But also - what does Alan want SD to do? Call to these 220k people with a menu of vaccines?

But yet again I raise the point, this is the off-shoot of the "abundance of caution". If there hadn't been a word about AZ/J&J being restricted, this wouldn't be even an issue. People here 1 in a million blood clot and think "oh no", in spite of the 1 in a million risks they take every day.

The media and NIAC have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

But yet again I raise the point, this is the off-shoot of the "abundance of caution". If there hadn't been a word about AZ/J&J being restricted, this wouldn't be even an issue. People here 1 in a million blood clot and think "oh no", in spite of the 1 in a million risks they take every day.

The media and NIAC have a lot to answer for.

Again what age group are you in please?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1387782504506175491?s=21

Very positive. Almost all Pfizer with a few AstraZeneca

Should be shoved in the face of Gerry Killeen and co the next time they suggest vaccines aren’t effective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Again what age group are you in please?

Why do you ask? 40's.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1387782504506175491?s=21

Very positive. Almost all Pfizer with a few AstraZeneca

Should be shoved in the face of Gerry Killeen and co the next time they suggest vaccines aren’t effective

Good to see but a "country" with a population of 33K!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement