Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Why do you ask? 40's.......

Because it's easy to virtue signal something that you're unlikely to get. I (50's) had absolutely no problem with AZ because until a few days ago it didn't look like I'd be getting it.

Thanks

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Because it's easy to virtue signal something that you're unlikely to get. I (50's) had absolutely no problem with AZ because until a few days ago it didn't look like I'd be getting it.

Thanks

I'm not virtue signalling anything. I'm merely pointing out the mistake NIAC made has repercussions in terms of the overall message and confidence in the vaccines being offered.

As I have said from the start, if there was data to back up the over 50s only approach, I would say it is data-based. But there isn't. Which is why it is something NIAC are going to have to row back on. I've no doubt as to the intelligence and capability of the people in NIAC but how they could restrict a vaccine for a 1-in-a-million blood clot (which is now even treatable) is simply beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Myocarditis have been seen in a few people who have been vaccinated in Israel.

https://twitter.com/MarcusReports/status/1386787809751715845

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm surprised we haven't got a 1.5m doses completed announcement yet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Strazdas wrote: »
    I guess there might be all sorts of reasons for this, beyond simple vaccine hesitancy or people trying to be choosy about which vaccine they get. Presumably a lot of them will get vaccinated at some point in the next few weeks or months.

And possible that a good few in this age group being done by GPs in the high risk conditions cohorts also .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Goldengirl wrote: »
    And possible that a good few in this age group being done by GPs in the high risk conditions cohorts also .

Indeed, and also I think the more that the family and friends of reluctant people get vaccinated, the more pressure they'll feel to register on the portal - nobody wants to be the odd one out, not unless they are the type that would refuse any vaccine point blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Turtwig wrote: »
    Do you know the time frame it happened within after the second dose?

I don't, it was just mentioned briefly on Sky News scroll down to 14:47

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Indeed, and also I think the more that the family and friends of reluctant people get vaccinated, the more pressure they'll feel to register on the portal - nobody wants to be the odd one out, not unless they are the type that would refuse any vaccine point blank.

Yes. Especially with everything opening up and the vaccination bonuses .

There is no way at this stage for the HSE to know if some of those numbers are already vaxxed or not .
    They are all estimated group numbers , with the best will in the world .

That is why anyone who has not yet heard anything and feels they should be getting a call if high risk, needs to contact either their hospital team or GP to ensure they are on one of the lists .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another treatment under EMA review.
    The European Medicines Agency will conduct an accelerated review of Eli Lilly and Co's (LLY.N) rheumatoid arthritis drug Olumiant for hospitalized COVID-19 patients getting oxygen, the agency said on Thursday, as the search for treatment options continues.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/ema-quickly-review-eli-lilly-incyte-arthritis-drug-covid-19-use-2021-04-29/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Mr Campbell is not on the ball very much anymore. In that video he discussed the fall in cases in Czech republic and the correlation with the introduction of the Ivermectin hherapeutic drug. A therapy given to people who already have the virus and are getting the drug in hospitals and clinics is somehow preventing people from getting the virus

That is only the start, most of it he spends his time trying to big up possible heart inflamation side effects from the pfizer jab in young men.

I think the quantities of ivermectin used in Czechia are tiny and would have a negigable effect etherway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Zipppy wrote: »
    Yes, You are correct..
    In hindsight to my earlier post, I guess I'm happy just to be getting vaccinated..
    And I realise that if it was AZ I'd still be very well protected after dose 1,,and sure look, it could have been J&J and I'd be done in one go..
    They're all great...

This better/worse thing about vaccines is not helpful.
    Pfizer like all the other vaccines approved so far, has some known side effects, right now including an ongoing investigation in Israel by the Ministry of Health that there have been cases young men developing heart inflammation after their second jab or close to. They are reviewing the data as more comes in- including from USA.
    Covid and its effects are still being learnt about.
    All vaccines do the same job.
    Reduce risk of serious illness and hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Portal to open next week for people aged 50-59.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Portal open to 50-59 year olds next week according to MM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheDoctor wrote: »

Yeah fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

is_that_so wrote: »

The cost of olumiant would shock the knickers off you, If I remember correctly. It's not even price listed in my MIMs :pac:

Actually not that bad. It's price listed on my UK mims account!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Valhallapt wrote: »
    At those numbers we’ll be close to the bottom of vaccine roll out in the EU.
    Generally most EU countries are still in a fairly tight band with a few outliers. Most countries are within a few percentage points of each other and a long way from capacity to vaccinate nationally being the bottleneck.

Whg.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Vaccine bonus
    From 10 May, indoor private home visiting can be permitted (without masks or social distancing) in the following cases:

fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with other fully vaccinated people as long as there are no more than 3 households present
    fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household, provided that they are not at risk of severe illness
    This applies to:

persons who have received AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria) – 4 weeks after dose 1
    persons who have received Janssen/Johnson & Johnson – 2 weeks after dose 1 (only dose)
    persons who have received Pfizer – 1 weeks after dose 2
    persons who have received Moderna – 2 weeks after dose 2
    persons who have had a confirmed COVID-19 infection in the previous 6 months

An interesting change from the previous 'fully vaccinated + 2 weeks'. Levels the playing field a bit. Makes you wonder what will be required for international travel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Widescreen wrote: »
    There seem to be a bigger selection of higher risk side effects with Pfizer, including Bels Palsy - I think AZ is the best of them , no doubt. I had it a month ago.

Just before anyone takes this post seriously.

There was another guy on here ("I regurgitate the news") pushing that story, it's based on all the things that happened to people during the trials and they were all unrelated to the vaccine itself (i.e. 5 people per 30k develop some sort of Bell's Palsy per month without a vaccine and this number was also seen during the trial).

It's complete misreading of trial results by idiot anti-vaxxers who then tried to make a story out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

TheDoctor wrote: »

And will receive all four vaccines (RTE Drivetime were discussing it just before 6pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

And will receive all four vaccines (RTE Drivetime were discussing it just before 6pm).

This doesn't make sense unless they are assuming NIAC will end up reducing the age group for J&J (which is pretty likely I guess as more data emerges)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Generally most EU countries are still in a fairly tight band with a few outliers. Most countries are within a few percentage points of each other and a long way from capacity to vaccinate nationally being the bottleneck.

Whg.svg

It's actually really impressive (bar a few outliers) to see the EU countries progressing in sync. I'm glad it wasn't a free for all with winners and losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

JTMan wrote: »
    RTE now reporting a much more optimistic timeline for those aged under 11. (So Merkel's comments are likely incorrect).
    Shes not

In areas of northern Germany the summer holidays are early so they are back to school for the autumn term on August 2th but the results for vaccines for younger kids wont be out till September, and then the EMA has a wee think about it, so it could be late September or early October before the vaccines are approved for primary kids which is well past when schools are starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Shes not

In areas of northern Germany the summer holidays are early so they are back to school for the autumn term on August 2th but the results for vaccines for younger kids wont be out till September, and then the EMA has a wee think about it, so it could be late September or early October before the vaccines are approved for primary kids which is well past when schools are starting up.

Merkel said "spring 2022" as to when those aged 11 and younger will be vaccinated. She is wrong from a timeline perspective. As you said, it might be September/October before 5-11 year olds get vaccinated. Merkel is right that primary schools will need to prepare to reopen, after the summer, with nearly all kids un-vaccinated and the controls and risks that come with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Advice needed. I've had my first vaccine which I got through work as I work for an essential organisation. I got it at the end of February. My second jab was supposed to be end of May. They've now pushed it back to the end of June.

My second jab is on the day before the National Athletics Championships, which I plan to compete in. Obviously if I have a vaccine the day before I'll be floored like last time and won't be able to run.

I tried to get this changed but the clowns in the HSE said only those between 60 and 69 can have their dates changed as the system is closed for all else, despite the fact I've had one vaccine and have an appointment for a second vaccine.

A quick Google search shows you can easily change a vaccine date in NI and UK, but as always, life is just that more difficult here.

Has anyone any advice on how I can get this date changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This doesn't make sense unless they are assuming NIAC will end up reducing the age group for J&J (which is pretty likely I guess as more data emerges)
    Well, to maintain that age first approach it does so that they can get through the 50s first. With the limited supplies of J&J and AZ being AZ there might be no harm in doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, to maintain that age first approach it does so that they can get through the 50s first. With the limited supplies of J&J and AZ being AZ there might be no harm in doing that.

I just really don't like the idea of unused vaccines at end of June. If the over 50s limit is still in place, that will happen. It makes more sense to me that the over 50s are delayed (and we are only talking weeks here) until we have j&J available. And use Pfizer for the under 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭embraer170

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Advice needed. I've had my first vaccine which I got through work as I work for an essential organisation. I got it at the end of February. My second jab was supposed to be end of May. They've now pushed it back to the end of June.

My second jab is on the day before the National Athletics Championships, which I plan to compete in. Obviously if I have a vaccine the day before I'll be floored like last time and won't be able to run.

I tried to get this changed but the clowns in the HSE said only those between 60 and 69 can have their dates changed as the system is closed for all else, despite the fact I've had one vaccine and have an appointment for a second vaccine.

A quick Google search shows you can easily change a vaccine date in NI and UK, but as always, life is just that more difficult here.

Say you are sick the day before the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

embraer170 wrote: »
    Say you are sick the day before the vaccine?

That will push them back up to a further 4 weeks. I would NOT do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Chivito550 wrote: »

Can't help with your main question, but anecdotally, the reaction from the second AZ jab is much less severe (apparently the other way around with Pfizer. Probably still not something you'd want to chance before a big event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

JTMan wrote: »
    Merkel said "spring 2022" as to when those aged 11 and younger will be vaccinated. She is wrong from a timeline perspective. As you said, it might be September/October before 5-11 year olds get vaccinated. Merkel is right that primary schools will need to prepare to reopen, after the summer, with nearly all kids un-vaccinated and the controls and risks that come with that.

EMA approval of July for 12-15 year olds would be 4 months after first trial data available for that cohort (March).
    So if first trial data for 5-11 is available in July, then I think it will be November before they will start getting jabbed.
    Fully vaccinated in time for Santa Claus :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement