Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

SJFly wrote: »
    It's actually really impressive (bar a few outliers) to see the EU countries progressing in sync. I'm glad it wasn't a free for all with winners and losers.
    Though on the other hand, of course, it does imply that there's a fair amount of room for improvement at the EU level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I just really don't like the idea of unused vaccines at end of June. If the over 50s limit is still in place, that will happen. It makes more sense to me that the over 50s are delayed (and we are only talking weeks here) until we have j&J available. And use Pfizer for the under 50s
    Reid was clear that there will be no group delayed and they'll still be going by age. I think they'll manage the J&J, the other vaccines will help with that over 50s group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strazdas wrote: »
    And will receive all four vaccines (RTE Drivetime were discussing it just before 6pm).

MM asked that question in press conference just now. Says HSE operational advice is due on it next week. They are working out the best way to implement NIAC advice with the supply chain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

a question for anyone in group 7 over 60 that were vaccinated , were you given the astra zenaca or the pfizer vaacine , from looking at the hse website it looks like anyone over 60 is getting the astra zenaca regardless of medical condition ,

sorry if its been answered already but the other half is freaking out about taking the astra zenaca .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭embraer170

Miike wrote: »
    That will push them back up to a further 4 weeks. I would NOT do this.

Where does the 4 weeks come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

Tony H wrote: »
    a question for anyone in group 7 over 60 that were vaccinated , were you given the astra zenaca or the pfizer vaacine , from looking at the hse website it looks like anyone over 60 is getting the astra zenaca regardless of medical condition ,

sorry if its been answered already but the other half is freaking out about taking the astra zenaca .

I really find it bizarre that people are freaking out over the AZ vaccine, well over 35 million doses have been administered , your other half is being totally irrational, going by their logic they have a superb chance of winning the Lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

May I ask why she is freaking out and what are her worries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

France reopening non-essential retail and bars/restaurants (outside) on May 19th
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56934746

Are we paying too much attention to case numbers rather than vaccination numbers especially with so many of the most vulnerable vaccinated? Are we moving too slow? Are they moving too fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

France reopening non-essential retail and bars/restaurants (outside) on May 19th
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56934746

Are we paying too much attention to case numbers rather than vaccination numbers especially with so many of the most vulnerable vaccinated? Are we moving too slow? Are they moving too fast?

Probably, it's really a crude metric at this stage of the pandemic. Hospital numbers are a far better indicator tbh. The likes of France have a far higher occupancy of hospital beds where we are in a great place in comparison to the peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I’m embarrassed to say with having severe hypothyroidism I managed to put on a stone in weight over the lockdown, with working from home and not climbing 3 flights of stairs everyday and walking at lunchtime which I normally did, my weight escalated. I calculated my BMI which knocked me over 40, so not good. I rang my GP and honestly I was expecting a lecture but no, they just said, you need the vaccine, text will follow next week and then vaccine end of next week. I’m so thankful and relieved and yet know people will judge me but for now I’m just grateful as I’ve been absolutely terrified of catching covid.

I’m embarrassed to say with having severe hypothyroidism I managed to put on a stone in weight over the lockdown, with working from home and not climbing 3 flights of stairs everyday and walking at lunchtime which I normally did, my weight escalated. I calculated my BMI which knocked me over 40, so not good. I rang my GP and honestly I was expecting a lecture but no, they just said, you need the vaccine, text will follow next week and then vaccine end of next week. I’m so thankful and relieved and yet know people will judge me but for now I’m just grateful as I’ve been absolutely terrified of catching covid.

Go for it !! Get your vaccine and then you can deal with the weight

My doctor told me my BMI being over 40 was irrelevant.
    A mate who was in hospital once as a kid with asthma got a call to be offered the vaccine. I was in hospital with asthma, doesn't matter. His mother in her 50s was offered the vaccine because she has diabetes. His father who recovered from cancer, cardiac arrest and has lung hardness is with a different GP and has been told nothing.
    Not judging you and good for you you got it but the arbitrary criteria across different doctors etc. is really annoying.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    May I ask why she is freaking out and what are her worries ?

she feels that she will be looking for bad side effects from the minute she gets the jab , she already suffers from stress and high blood pressure , she knows herself that its irrational but thats just the way she is hard wired ,
    and on top of that her family had a history of blood clots , her father died from complications from one ,

secman I sincerely hope you never have to support a family member with fears and worries no matter how irrational they are , but that's life .

My doctor told me my BMI being over 40 was irrelevant.
    A mate who was in hospital once as a kid with asthma got a call to be offered the vaccine. I was in hospital with asthma, doesn't matter. His mother in her 50s was offered the vaccine because she has diabetes. His father who recovered from cancer, cardiac arrest and has lung hardness is with a different GP and has been told nothing.
    Not judging you and good for you you got it but the arbitrary criteria across different doctors etc. is really annoying.

When you say your doctor told you your weight was irrelevant, did he refuse you the vaccine?

When you say your doctor told you your weight was irrelevant, did he refuse you the vaccine?

did your doctor tell you which vaccine you were getting ?

did your doctor tell you which vaccine you were getting ?

No Tony, and I don’t really care but I believe they are doing the Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

MM asked that question in press conference just now. Says HSE operational advice is due on it next week. They are working out the best way to implement NIAC advice with the supply chain

But if they're opening the portal for the over 50s as soon as the first week in May, it would suggest that J & J is not the sole mainstay for this cohort - they will have nowhere near enough J & J doses to cover them.

(I'm aware AZ is also in the mix but we're talking 600k+ people to be vaccinated).

No Tony, and I don’t really care but I believe they are doing the Pfizer.

thanks Sally , best of luck with the vaccine , I don't really care either but its really stressing my wife .

thanks Sally , best of luck with the vaccine , I don't really care either but its really stressing my wife .

Oh look it I understand completely, if your wife has any underlying conditions please encourage her to ring her GP as she will get the MRNA vaccines. A call would do no harm at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

she feels that she will be looking for bad side effects from the minute she gets the jab , she already suffers from stress and high blood pressure , she knows herself that its irrational but thats just the way she is hard wired ,
    and on top of that her family had a history of blood clots , her father died from complications from one ,

secman I sincerely hope you never have to support a family member with fears and worries no matter how irrational they are , but that's life .

My wife has had several bouts of highs and lows over the last 12 months, she was very worried about getting AZ vaccine, I spoke to her ar length about how the UK are opening back up and have used over 30 million doses of AZ . She got the vaccine on Sat evening, has the sore arm, and on off flu like symptoms. But she knows she's on the road to seeing kids and grandkids again.
    I'm on BP and cholesterol meds and am awaiting the AZ vaccine any day now.

I can understand the worry, but if she's being offered Astrazeneca then I guess she's over 60?
    The clotting risk is absolutely miniscule in that age group, while covid is a very serious risk. Especially in an at risk cohort.

At 60, you're 85 times more likely to die from covid than a clot from the AZ vaccine (and that's taking into account your chances of getting covid in the first place).

The clotting risk is much higher for people in their 20s and 30s, who also happen to be at a lower risk from covid. So the risk v benefit question is not as straightforward as it would be for someone in their 60s (where the benefit massively outweighs the risk, many times over).

I had AZ . I had one day of feeling cold and worn out . I had headache for two days and an occasional dizzy spell . All in all 4 days of being off ,
    For me it was well worth it for the elation and joy of actually getting a Covid vaccine. The side effects were nothing to the worry of getting covid

The fact her family have a history of clots is absolutely no reason to worry as the two mechanisms are completely different

I hope you can reassure her

I have to say the news from government was very positive for AZ vaccine receivers. It looks like they will have the all clear a week before Pfizer vaccinated people which I think is a massive boost to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Strazdas wrote: »
    But if they're opening the portal for the over 50s as soon as the first week in May, it would suggest that J & J is not the sole mainstay for this cohort - they will have nowhere near enough J & J doses to cover them.

(I'm aware AZ is also in the mix but we're talking 600k+ people to be vaccinated).

a) inviting 50-59 will probably be phased like it was for those in their sixties. As we move through May, AZ and J&J supply should increase;
    b) a portion of that 600,000 will already have been vaccinated and another portion will refuse vaccination so we could be looking at 400k that need to be done.

I’d say that AZ and J&J will go along way with this cohort. Throw in a few Pfizer and Moderna too to make up the shortfall and to make everyone in their fifties feel better about things (not that I think they should be worried about AZ or J&J but some will be irrational).

I have to say the news from government was very positive for AZ vaccine receivers. It looks like they will have the all clear a week before Pfizer vaccinated people which I think is a massive boost to them.

Can I ask what they said please

Can I ask what they said please

Oh crikey let me try find it but I definitely heard it. I’ll go search.

I had AZ . I had one day of feeling cold and worn out . I had headache for two days and an occasional dizzy spell . All in all 4 days of being off ,
    For me it was well worth it for the elation and joy of actually getting a Covid vaccine. The side effects were nothing to the worry of getting covid

The fact her family have a history of clots is absolutely no reason to worry as the two mechanisms are completely different

I hope you can reassure her

all i can do is try to reassure her , its even harder because its nearly impossible to get in touch with her gp .
    Thanks for all the comments guys and girls , hopefully she will take whatever is offered and we can start to get our lives back again .

Can anyone help with a link to what was said about being considered safe re vaccinations I.e. you are safe after 3 weeks of AZ first dose I’m searching but can’t find anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Got a call from Mullingar Hospital Wednesday week ago to ask if I’d like the vaccine totally out of the blue. Anyways lady on the phone was very helpful was because I had an 8 day stint last year for severe acute pneumonia so pushed up (I’m 41) Saturday afternoon got the Moderna vaccine and was fine with the exception of a sore arm around the injection site and a raised temp for a few hours on the Sunday. Back on the 22nd for my 2nd dose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement