Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can anyone help with a link to what was said about being considered safe re vaccinations I.e. you are safe after 3 weeks of AZ first dose I’m searching but can’t find anything

Do you remember who said and when ? That would be wonderful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Sorry, i am still searching but I will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

revelman wrote: »
    a) inviting 50-59 will probably be phased like it was for those in their sixties. As we move through May, AZ and J&J supply should increase;
    b) a portion of that 600,000 will already have been vaccinated and another portion will refuse vaccination so we could be looking at 400k that need to be done.

I’d say that AZ and J&J will go along way with this cohort. Throw in a few Pfizer and Moderna too to make up the shortfall and to make everyone in their fifties feel better about things (not that I think they should be worried about AZ or J&J but some will be irrational).
    That sounds a bit patronising (assuming you're not in that group yourself)

Richard Chambers tweeted it below and Micheal Martin talked about it in the press conference.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1387818050825637892?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0429/1212903-covid-changes-latest/

Scroll down to vaccine bonus, AZ basically classed as fully vaccinated after 4 weeks

Edit
    From 10 May, indoor private home visiting can be permitted (without masks or social distancing) in the following cases:

fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with other fully vaccinated people as long as there are no more than 3 households presentfully vaccinated people can meet indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household, provided that they are not at risk of severe illness

This applies to:

persons who have received AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria) – 4 weeks after dose 1
    persons who have received Janssen/Johnson & Johnson – 2 weeks after dose 1 (only dose)
    persons who have received Pfizer – 1 weeks after dose 2
    persons who have received Moderna – 2 weeks after dose 2
    persons who have had a confirmed Covid-19 infection in the previous 6 month

Interesting differential between the two mRNA vaccines

• Advertisement

Sorry, i am still searching but I will prevail.
    I found this

Some more detail on the ‘vaccine bonus’, with indoor visits permitted – without masks or social distancing – for those who are vaccinated:

From 10 May

fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with other fully vaccinated people as long as there are no more than three households present;
    fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household, provided that they are not at risk of severe illness.
    This applies to:

persons who have received AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria) – four weeks after dose 1;
    persons who have received Janssen/Johnson & Johnson – two weeks after dose 1 (only dose);
    persons who have received Pfizer – one week after dose 2;
    persons who have received Moderna – two weeks after dose 2;
    persons who have had a confirmed Covid-19 infection in the previous six months.
    It will be welcome news for the 50-69-year-olds that they will not have to wait until after their second AstraZeneca dose – 12 weeks after the first dose – until they can meet indoors with loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Richard Chambers tweeted it below and Micheal Martin talked about it in the press conference.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1387818050825637892?s=19

I just think all this vaccine bonus is nonsense. You can meet up if fully vaccinated indoors no masks etc etc...or else what?! Is there a punishment?
    People are meeting up left right and centre, there is no way of policing this.

I found this

Some more detail on the ‘vaccine bonus’, with indoor visits permitted – without masks or social distancing – for those who are vaccinated:

From 10 May

fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with other fully vaccinated people as long as there are no more than three households present;
    fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household, provided that they are not at risk of severe illness.
    This applies to:

persons who have received Janssen/Johnson & Johnson – two weeks after dose 1 (only dose);
    It will be welcome news for the 50-69-year-olds that they will not have to wait until after their second AstraZeneca dose – 12 weeks after the first dose – until they can meet indoors with loved ones.

Yes that’s it!! It’s good news for AZ recipients who thought they’d have to wait 12 weeks, no?

Good news then about Astra Zenaca , a relief not to wait 12 or 14 weeks to be considered fully vaccinated !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'll be 53 in a few months and I don't have any underlying conditions that I know of. Anyone have any idea what are my chances of getting the J&J one shot vaccine? I haven't been following the vaccine side of things very closely because I thought I was way down the queue but now it seems like I might not have all that long to wait.

I just think all this vaccine bonus is nonsense. You can meet up if fully vaccinated indoors no masks etc etc...or else what?! Is there a punishment?
    People are meeting up left right and centre, there is no way of policing this.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I agree that a lot of people are not going to be aware of, let alone follow to the letter, those timelines. Especially when it's different for every vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger!

I agree that a lot of people are not going to be aware of, let alone follow to the letter, those timelines. Especially when it's different for every vaccine.

No sorry not aimed at you but more at Richard Chambers tweet!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention . Delighted with that news !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pawdee wrote: »
    I'll be 53 in a few months and I don't have any underlying conditions that I know of. Anyone have any idea what are my chances of getting the J&J one shot vaccine? I haven't been following the vaccine side of things very closely because I thought I was way down the queue but now it seems like I might not have all that long to wait.

Still a bit unclear as was discussed a page or two back. You would definitely be in the mix for J & J or AstraZeneca, but it seems Pfizer or Moderna can't be ruled out either (probably only the HSE and NIAC know at this stage exactly what will happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do the same fully vaccinated criteria apply for the EU Covid 19 certificate or are there common EU criteria for that?

Tanaiste suggesting on Prime Time that the 45-49 portal could be opened very quickly after the 50-54 year olds.

He didn't go into too much detail but seems to be saying the plan is to throw every vaccine available at the 45-59 year olds.

josip wrote: »
    Do the same fully vaccinated criteria apply for the EU Covid 19 certificate or are there common EU criteria for that?

We don't actually have the details on the EU certificate yet but I was reading this evening the European Parliament wants it to come into effect and to be usable very quickly (start of June).

Strazdas wrote: »
    Tanaiste suggesting on Prime Time that the 45-49 portal could be opened very quickly after the 50-54 year olds.

He didn't go into too much detail but seems to be saying the plan is to throw every vaccine available at the 45-59 year olds.

They really need to sort out Cohort 4 snd 7 first . Its a mess as far as I can see

They really need to sort out Cohort 4 snd 7 first . Its a mess as far as I can see

A bit more here :

https://twitter.com/LouiseByrneNews/status/1387873690390519808

He appears to suggest the plan now is try and get down through the cohorts asap, rather than leave the over 50s waiting until June for J & J.

(Perhaps he thinks the J & J over 50 advice could be revisited by NIAC).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hurry it up FDA :mad:

Madness how the US can take doses from the Netherlands but they export absolutely nothing.

Emergent BioSolutions Inc. has produced more than 115 million doses of drug substance used in the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine, according to a person familiar with the matter, 60 million doses of which are in vials and ready to deploy at U.S. regulators’ discretion.

The Gaithersburg, Maryland-based contract manufacturer has been producing the J&J single-shot vaccine since the fourth quarter of 2020, said the person. The size of the stockpile, which isn’t yet cleared by the Food and Drug Administration for release, hasn’t been previously reported.

A Biden administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the figures were roughly correct but declined to specify further. It’s not clear if or when regulators would authorize the facility to release the doses in the U.S. J&J and the White House declined to comment on how much supply has been produced at the site.

Emergent-made supply had been expected to be cleared for use last month. But staff conflated materials for the J&J vaccine with those for doses from U.K. drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc that were also being made at the plant, a setback in J&J’s ability to deliver significant supply. The error led Emergent to discard 15 million doses of an ingredient used in the J&J vaccine.

The 115 million doses worth of ready-made drug substance do not include the 15 million discarded doses, said the person.

The production flub led the FDA to launch an inspection of the site on April 12. Four days later, the agency said Emergent should stop making new materials and quarantine existing materials and product until further notice.

Emergent’s facility in the Bayview neighborhood of Baltimore is crucial to J&J meeting its U.S. production target of delivering 100 million does by the end of June. It’s an essential part of the global supply chain, one of few facilities responsible for making the bulk drug substance, or the active ingredient, used in the vaccine.

Once produced, Emergent sends the substance to other facilities contracted by J&J. It is combined with other materials and put in sterile vials, known as the final-stage fill-finish process, before being shipped to administration sites. As a result, the 60 million vialed doses that contain the Emergent-made drug substance are not actually stored at the Bayview facility.

To date, a J&J-run facility based in the Netherlands is the only one in the global manufacturing network cleared to make the underlying drug substance used in the vaccine. That suggests delays to Emergent’s authorization could impact delivery timelines around the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My oh in his late 50s got his first jab as he was on the GPs reserve list yesterday

I'm late 40s if what you post is correct that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

duffman13 wrote: »
    From 10 May

This applies to:

Too complicated, absolute gibberish for most people.

If there's an actual risk in there (for example meeting within 2/4 weeks of first vaccine) then highlight it, otherwise simplify the message and we can live with the tiny risk as a consequence.

Stheno wrote: »
    My oh in his late 50s got his first jab as he was on the GPs reserve list yesterday

I'm late 40s if what you post is correct that would be great

It's good that Varadkar has a sense of urgency anyway. The plan now seems to be to rip through the cohorts and throw every vaccine available at people (perhaps in the hope that when it come to late June that J & J will be authorised for everyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

adam240610 wrote: »
    7-day average of vaccines given now just over 30k per day!

Now we're sucking diesel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's good that Varadkar has a sense of urgency anyway. The plan now seems to be to rip through the cohorts and throw every vaccine available at people (perhaps in the hope that when it come to late June that J & J will be authorised for everyone).

It means that we would both potentially be fully vaccinated by the end of June which is way sooner than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Emergent’s facility in the Bayview neighborhood of Baltimore is crucial to J&J meeting its U.S. production target of delivering 100 million does by the end of June. It’s an essential part of the global supply chain, one of few facilities responsible for making the bulk drug substance, or the active ingredient, used in the vaccine.

Is the EU relying on Emergent to meet their targets? Only a trickle is coming out of the Dutch plant. Even the US have only received 8 million doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

hmmm wrote: »
    Too complicated, absolute gibberish for most people. Would someone please get control of the chaotic communication.

If there's an actual risk in there (for example meeting within 2 weeks of first vaccine) then highlight it, otherwise simplify the message.

People only receive 1 vaccine brand, so it's not to hard to look at the list, ignore the vaccines you haven't had and focus on the one you got instead.

Or they could just say 6 weeks after your first dose, assuming you also got your second dose, unless you were told you didn't need a Second dose, but if you were told your second dose was in 12 weeks, that's ok.

Or to simplify it, 2 weeks after your last dose. That's covers it's all and it's simple. However there would be a massive difference measured in months between say J&J and AZ and people will be giving out.

hmmm wrote: »
    Too complicated, absolute gibberish for most people.

If there's an actual risk in there (for example meeting within 2/4 weeks of first vaccine) then highlight it, otherwise simplify the message and we can live with the tiny risk as a consequence.

It makes complete sense to me . You just need to read it a few times

• Advertisement

It makes complete sense to me . You just need to read it a few times

Same here tbh

I think they've looked at the data out of the UK and Israel around transmission reducing after first doses and applied it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement