Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It makes complete sense to me . You just need to read it a few times
    You and I might read it but most people won't.

Instead people will develop their own rule of thumb based on the little bits of information they pick up in conversation. That may or may not be dangerous, but I'd expect a lot of people will assume they can be meeting inside 2 weeks after their first dose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    You and I might read it but most people won't.

Instead people will develop their own rule of thumb based on the little bits of information they pick up in conversation. That may or may not be dangerous, but I'd expect a lot of people will assume they can be meeting inside 2 weeks after their first dose.

Ah thats true to be fair

I wfh and don't go out much apart from walking the dog

I was in 2 shops today and social distancing was non existence in both, I'd people standing right behind me and if I moved the just moved again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stheno wrote: »
    It means that we would both potentially be fully vaccinated by the end of June which is way sooner than I expected

There are definite signs they are forcibly accelerating the rollout. Perhaps it has dawned on them that this will speed up the opening of the country to a major degree and that they should go hell for leather with the vaccinations from here on in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Strazdas wrote: »
    There are definite signs they are forcibly accelerating the rollout. Perhaps it has dawned on them that this will speed up the opening of the country to a major degree and that they should go hell for leather with the vaccinations from here on in.

I'm now dreaming of a week in Malta in September ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Tanaiste suggesting on Prime Time that the 45-49 portal could be opened very quickly after the 50-54 year olds.

He didn't go into too much detail but seems to be saying the plan is to throw every vaccine available at the 45-59 year olds.

Yeah, he kind of left it hanging out there didn’t he. Definitely opened the door to bumping the 40s up with the 50s (even if they end up not doing it). Hard to know how much was groundwork Vs an off the cuff remark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Surely they can only go as fast as the vaccines from the EU come? Clearly the supply is improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah thats true to be fair

I wfh and don't go out much apart from walking the dog

I was in 2 shops today and social distancing was non existence in both, I'd people standing right behind me and if I moved the just moved again
    The new normal looks a lot like the old normal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Surely they can only go as fast as the vaccines from the EU come? Clearly the supply is improving.

Indeed, but there was talk of keeping many of the over 50s waiting until mid to late June because of the J & J situation, but they seem to be saying 'to hell with it, let's vaccinate them now'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Indeed, but there was talk of keeping many of the over 50s waiting until mid to late June because of the J & J situation, but they seem to be saying 'to hell with it, let's vaccinate them now'.

Which will mean we will need to pause the vaccination campaign in mid June as we have to bin 500k J&J and wait for 1m additional Pfizer to arrive in Q3

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

When are o40s expected to get a vaccination offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Which will mean we will need to pause the vaccination campaign in mid June as we have to bin 500k J&J and wait for 1m additional Pfizer to arrive in Q3

Better leaving people in their 20s waiting a few weeks in June than having people in their 50s wait a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No matter how many times this is repeated that poster won’t get it

ceegee wrote: »
    Better leaving people in their 20s waiting a few weeks in June than having people in their 50s wait a month now.

No. Completely wrong. Full return to normal only happens with herd immunity. Only vaccinating those over 50 won’t get us to herd immunity.

If you want a pint inside a pub this side of august, we need to slow down the 50+ cohort for about 2 to 3 weeks. Plus side is they will be fully vaccinated. Only alternative is NIAC authorise J&J for 40+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

SJFly wrote: »
    Can't help with your main question, but anecdotally, the reaction from the second AZ jab is much less severe (apparently the other way around with Pfizer. Probably still not something you'd want to chance before a big event.

I've been trying to find anything online to verify this and yet I can't find a single thing :( Do you know many who have had both jabs?

Look at how easy a vaccine appointment can be changed in NI.

https://covid-19.hscni.net/guidance/how-do-i-change-or-cancel-my-vaccine-appointment/

We really live in the dark ages with HSE.

Am I going to have to pretend I'm having a medical procedure the day of my second jab to get them to reschedule me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

And if J&J fail to deliver in June? You'll have a load of 50 somethings waiting to be done the same time as teenagers. The government would be crucified for it, not to mention the media coverage everytime a 50 year old gets hospitalised or dies while waiting for the vaccine.

Politically there's no way they can skip over a decade and not have major push back. The hospital & death figures will also inevitably be higher by prioritising younger age groups just to hit an arbitrary percentage by an arbitrary date

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've been trying to find anything online to verify this and yet I can't find a single thing :( Do you know many who have had both jabs?

Look at how easy a vaccine appointment can be changed in NI.

https://covid-19.hscni.net/guidance/how-do-i-change-or-cancel-my-vaccine-appointment/

We really live in the dark ages with HSE.

Am I going to have to pretend I'm having a medical procedure the day of my second jab to get them to reschedule me?!

I don't know anyone with 2 jabs of AZ. Obviously there won't be many about. I've just heard it reported. Here's an article with a quote from MRHA saying the same.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/covid-vaccine-side-effects-what-are-they-who-gets-them-and-why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Plus side is they will be fully vaccinated. Only alternative is NIAC authorise J&J for 40+

Exactly this.
    Govt need to play up the “you’ll be fully vaccinated quicker” aspect of waiting for J&J if they want to take that course of action. At this stage in the game, who’s going to complain ? Whingers got short shrift a few weeks ago when the cohorts were changed, they’d get even more at this point in the programme. The 50s would be fully done as quick or quicker and you’d be putting a big dent in the 40s at the same time. It’s not like the big outcry when Donnelly had his brain fart a week or two ago, this change would be as a result of medical advice and govt could stand over it.

Obviously if NIAC change the advice, that’s well and good and would be a big benefit, but really I can’t imagine them changing it based on pure expediency for the rollout.

ceegee wrote: »
    And if J&J fail to deliver in June? You'll have a load of 50 somethings waiting to be done the same time as teenagers. The government would be crucified for it, not to mention the media coverage everytime a 50 year old gets hospitalised or dies while waiting for the vaccine.

Politically there's no way they can skip over a decade and not have major push back. The hospital & death figures will also inevitably be higher by prioritising younger age groups just to hit an arbitrary percentage by an arbitrary date

People are not stupid. They can deal with facts.

I think people like you are the exception, you believe what you want, but politically there is no way they can extend lockdown by 6+ weeks to appease a single cohort.

With 30+% of population having had one vaccine, still in level 4/3 restrictions in June, a two to three week delay to non vulnerable 50+ won’t result in additional deaths.

FG won’t support a 6 week extension to lockdown so FF would have to force it through, I doubt their voters would support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It makes complete sense to me . You just need to read it a few times

Yes, but say you have three people meeting up, and they all got a different vaccine at different times, I don't think anyone is actually going to take notes and calculate if they're OK to meet according to the rules chart.

The only way it would work is to keep it simple, such as "4 weeks after vaccination" or something similar.

So I think it's going to be a fairly meaningless guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yes, but say you have three people meeting up, and they all got a different vaccine at different times, I don't think anyone is actually going to take notes and calculate if they're OK to meet according to the rules chart.

The only way it would work is to keep it simple, such as "4 weeks after vaccination" or something similar.

So I think it's going to be a fairly meaningless guideline.

Welcome to public health.

You can either produce simple, clumsy guidance which will get torn apart for insulting people's intelligence.

Or you can produce sophisticated guidance which will get torn apart by exactly the same type of people for being too hard for hypothetical lazy morons to follow.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

The risk for over 50s, particularly those over 55 , is still substantially higher than the cohorts below, for ICU admission and mortality, which means leaving them till the j &j vaccines arrive is wrong. Cant link but NIAC advise on 31 march makes that clear

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The amount of virtue signalling going on here by people likely not in their 50's is unbelievable. "Sure feck the over 50's, they are higher risk but they can wait, they should be thankful they are getting anything at all, now please get on with vaccinating my group with an mRNA vaccine".
    I'd wager if you offered 100 people the choice of vaccine, not one would go for the AZ, maybe 25% would go for the J&J for the speed of it and the rest for the mRNA ones, that's a bet i'd take all day long.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd wager if you offered 100 people the choice of vaccine, not one would go for the AZ, maybe 25% would go for the J&J for the speed of it and the rest for the mRNA ones, that's a bet i'd take all day long.

And I'd wager this is rubbish. Just pulling numbers out of your arse to give out about virtue signalling and by that doing the same thing you're complaining about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

I'd wager that a high proportion of people have misinformation on all oftbe vaccines. Some of tbe stuff I've heard beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The amount of virtue signalling going on here by people likely not in their 50's is unbelievable. Sure feck the over 50's, they are higher risk but they can wait, they should be thankful they are getting anything at all, now please get on with vaccinating my group with an mRNA vaccine.

Complains about virtue signalling and then goes and does the same thing.....

Sanjuro wrote: »
    And I'd wager this is rubbish. Just pulling numbers out of your arse to give out about virtue signalling and by that doing the same thing you're complaining about yourself.

Am I wrong? Without attacking me again please, please explain why i am?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Complains about virtue signalling and then goes and does the same thing.....

I'm not virtue signalling I'm quite openly saying that I don't want AZ. The numbers signing up in the 60's group are a pretty good indicator I'm not alone in that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I'm not virtue signalling I'm quite openly saying that I don't want AZ. The numbers signing up in the 60's group are a pretty good indicator I'm not alone in that either.

I have many members of my extended family, including several members of my immediate family who have received AZ. I would take it in a heartbeat but am not in the right age group. Who is to say which is the best vaccine? I’ve seen a study which suggest that the TCell response in AZ is double what it is in Pfizer and this is especially marked in people over 50. Pfizer recipients may have to get regular boosters,

It seems like some people are worried about this one in a million clot risk, for which there is treatment. Doctors are now aware of the signs.

I do understand the anxiety but in my opinion it is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

For anyone in the 60-69 with serious medical history, take the appointment. My relative couldn’t get any answer or reply from the hospital clinics whether he was ok to proceed with AstraZeneca so he went down to the appointment with a page with all his history and meds written out. The person vaccinating brought him straight to the pharmacist and doc one site where they went through it, checked it and reassured him. They held him for an extra fifteen minutes to be sure. He’s absolutely delighted with himself after the frustration of trying to get answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The media, gossip and mis information have really done a poor job on AZ - I said earlier in the thread I would prefer this vax - I see little reason for being worried about it beyond the normal side effect worry and perhaps it will eventually be used on a younger cohort too.

I get my vaccine this afternoon, it's not AZ,. I was shocked to get a call from my GP so quickly, but I'm so relieved. For anyone who is in category 4 or 7 they are being handled alongside the rollout, so if you are in the current age groups you'll be called by age (perhaps earlier than those older,) if younger, 4 or 7 from what I can see are been handled by GP's.

The more vunerable and older are being vaxxed first, it beggars belief people are turning down vaccines because of ultra rare side effects. Some of us have been shielding for over a year - it's a huge relief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement