Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The decisions made yesterday about AZ and today in relation to J & J are all subject to review, there are far too many Chicken Littles in this thread declaring the sky is falling, some deliberately so.

I would be very surprised if restrictions.on AZ to age groups over 60 is still in place in a months time, they are buying time to scrutinize data.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

funnydoggy wrote: »
    That vaccine transmission being part of modeling now is absolutely fantastic.

Has been since late Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

That delay in contract was being discussed back in mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Has been since late Feb.

Ah, I didn't know. Still though it's good to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Send the bag of dung AZ vaccines to the deepest darkest pits of Africa as part of COVAX, and give Pfizer whatever they want for the good stuff.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

And no surprise to see the media here jumping all over the J&J story. Will they be as eager and quick to report when it's being used again I wonder

Media was all over AZ when EMA and individual countries when regulation differing applied for age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Fair play to those of you giving reasonable arguments and having the patience to do so, you’re all better people than I am.

Those who believe that AZ is poison and that J&J is finished before it’s even started will never change their views sadly.

This was a really interesting thread, gone to the dogs the last few days though.

I much preferred reading all the good news as well but there has been no denying that the last week has been terrible.
    A few weeks ago there was 5 known cases of clotting in the UK linked to AZ. All of a sudden it turned into 80.
    The 6 out of 7m will likely increase as well.
    I am just giving my opinion on the facts that we have at hand. The UK has already suggested that it will not use AZ on under 30s. Ireland has been far more cautious and I can see that continuing when it comes to J&J.

Is this a genuine issue with Pfizer? Haven't seen any reports

Sure I saw some comments about this on UK Yellow Cards.
    Can someone add a link to Irish equivalent to UK yellow cards system. I know that there is an overall EU equivalent, but don't think it breaks it down by country gender age group etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd be curious now if the people who are looking to the UK and going, "Why are we so far behind - joke shop Ireland" are also going, "I don't want AZ! Terrible vaccine!" I wouldn't be surprised if there's an overlap in those groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Of course they are going to report but it's the veracity of the reporting I have an issue with. As I said, will they be as eager to report if the vaccines are given the all clear? Doubt it, and that won't be a "shocker"

Of course they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

*J&J: TO PROACTIVELY DELAY ROLLOUT OF VACCINE IN EUROPE

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

brendanwalsh threadbanned permanently as well as forum banned for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm telling myself that these are good things, which they are.

Hospital metrics are going down rapidly too.

There is light there. Last summer was nice. We have vaccines this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm telling myself that these are good things, which they are.

Hospital metrics are going down rapidly too.

There is light there. Last summer was nice. We have vaccines this time too.
    Chin up. It's tough. But we're in a far better place now than we were a week, a month, six months ago. We'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd kind of prefer they sent as normal and let the country choose. Better to have them in stock and ready to go if it's paused rather than sitting in their factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Hi all I just have a question relating to vaccine.

I received a text message this morning from a mobile number saying that I have been put forward for a vaccination at Conolly Hospital and will be contacted about appointment in coming weeks.

I'm just wondering if this is one of those scam/fake messages? Just seemed a bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We're a first world country with first world expectations. If there is a choice of vaccines on the market and questions marks over some, clearly we should avoid those latter. That's a reasonable position to hold. Of course, supply comes into it but there's a price on everything.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd kind of prefer they sent as normal and let the country choose. Better to have them in stock and ready to go if it's paused rather than sitting in their factory.

"Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, while under review in the US, the defendant knowingly released the product in a new market"

I would imagine its down to potential litigation.

I do have this nagging doubt that the regulatory bodies are reacting to get ahead of the anti-vaxxers who will leap on any individual case rather than purely on the data. I hope its not the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Every man and woman deserves a MRNA vaccine.

Send the bag of dung AZ vaccines to the deepest darkest pits of Africa as part of COVAX, and give Pfizer whatever they want for the good stuff.

I know this post is shocking but the poster is making a good point though I don't think it's the point he was trying to make.

If NIAC say AstraZeneca is a good vaccine, which they are saying, but we only think it's worth the risk in the 60-70 when we have other safer vaccines then what do they propose we do with the leftover AZ vaccines? What if all Europe do the same? Are we going to just waste all the leftover vaccines or will send them to poorer countries in Africa? Is it the case that the 1 in 200,000 risk of serious bloodclot is not an acceptable risk here in Europe but it is for Africa where the risk of coronavirus seems to be less? There is an ethical question here that I'm sure NIAC or other countries equivalents didn't think about but maybe they should.

If we don't use the AZ vacccines and now possibly J&J too and wait longer for more Pfizer and others, this will cost us some lives here through the time delay in getting vaccinated but also cost lives in other countries waiting behind us in the vaccine que too. Or do we expect them to use the AZ we don't want because its not safe enough for us but ye boys in the 3rd world can't be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I received a text message this morning from a mobile number saying that I have been put forward for a vaccination at Conolly Hospital and will be contacted about appointment in coming weeks.

I'm just wondering if this is one of those scam/fake messages? Just seemed a bit odd

I think some of the Dublin and cork hospitals are sending out this pre-text that you will get contacted later. The HSE will text you though when it’s time. That’s an 087 number if they are using the same countrywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

J&J delaying EU rollout until US pause ends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I received a text message this morning from a mobile number saying that I have been put forward
    for a vaccination at Conolly Hospital and will be contacted about appointment in coming weeks.

I got vaccine last week, got the text only 24 hrs before. All the text mentions is my name and to say yes or no to the appointment and gives a phone number to ring if any questions. I think once they don't look for personal info from you it is genuine, thats my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The one good piece of news here is that deliveries to EU states haven't even started yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think some of the Dublin and cork hospitals are sending out this pre-text that you will get contacted later. The HSE will text you though when it’s time. That’s an 087 number if they are using the same countrywide.

Yeah it's an 087 number and it just asks to reply YES or NO to whether you need an appointment.
    Just wasn't 100% sure of the legitimacy of it, but good to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strazdas wrote: »
    The one good piece of news here is that deliveries to EU states haven't even started yet,

14k due in this week here. But yeah small numbers for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Strazdas wrote: »

And in truth it was never going to get going proper until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement