Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Updated EU table of vaccines per 100, excluding countries using Russian and Chinese vaccines:

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 74 April 28th
    Lithuania 34.5 April 29th 8
    Germany 34.5 April 29th 8
    Spain 34 April 28th 8
    Austria 34 April 29th 7
    Estonia 34 April 29th 7
    Denmark 33.5 April 29th 6
    Italy 32 April 29th 3
    Finland 31.5 April 28th 3
    Belgium 31.5 April 28th 3
    Portugal 31.5 April 29th 2
    Netherlands 31 April 28th 2
    Sweden 31 April 29th 1
    France 31 April 28th 2
    Luxembourg 30 April 28th 0
    Ireland 30 April 28th 0
    Greece 29.5 April 28th -1
    Poland 29.5 April 28th -1
    Slovenia 29.5 April 29th -2
    Czech Rep 29 April 29th -3
    Slovakia 28.5 April 29th -4
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Romania 26.5 April 28th -7
    Croatia 21 April 28th -18
    Latvia 16 April 29th -29
    Bulgaria 11.5 April 29th -38

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

I mean, if 50-59s don’t want 40-49s potentially getting a vaccine before them they surely won’t want a vaccine before Cohort 4 and 7 are finished because those aged 50-59 are technically in Cohort 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Strazdas wrote: »
    For sure, but I think people are worrying unnecessarily about unused J & J vaccines. We can deal with that if and when it happens - for the moment, just throw every vaccine available at the eligible population.

Surely you have to plan your vaccination campaign based on the existing recommendations. I don't care how the j&j is used - I'd gladly accept a shot myself. What is not acceptable is having half a million doses of a safe, single shot vaccine sitting unused as pubs and restaurants are opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭corkie

3DataModem wrote: »
    Any idea what type of vaccines are being rolled out to GPs for the category 7s? I just got an appointment, just curious if anyone has any insight as to what flavour I'll be getting.

Q&A: The who, what, where and when on vaccines
    MY GP DOESN’T HAVE ASTRAZENECA INFORMATION, WHO CAN I TALK TO?

For now, GPs are only using mRNA vaccines from Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sd1999 wrote: »
    I mean, if 50-59s don’t want 40-49s potentially getting a vaccine before them they surely won’t want a vaccine before Cohort 4 and 7 are finished because those aged 50-59 are technically in Cohort 9.
    To repeat for about the 5th time Groups 1-7 are part of a separate process. It has nothing to do with the mass vaccinations that will be managed through the online portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Supercell wrote: »
    Said the person in their 40's proving my point exactly. Also it's not just the clotting, it's the 12-16 weeks between doses as well.

Will Ireland increase the duration between 1st and 2nd doses to 10-12 weeks for Pfizer/Moderna. UK is max 12 weeks for Pfizer and AZ - not sure about Moderna dosing intervals. So far its around 10.5 weeks from the people I know who have received their second doses in their areas.

Good news about the roadmap out of this.

Israel have dipped under 10 cases per million per day over a 7 day average for the first time since May 2020. As much as people hate the term, that's the cutoff a lot of countries like Singapore and Korea have been using for zero covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will Ireland increase the duration between 1st and 2nd doses to 10-12 weeks for Pfizer/Moderna. UK is max 12 weeks for Pfizer and AZ - not sure about Moderna dosing intervals. So far its around 10.5 weeks from the people I know who have received their second doses in their areas.

They've already said No to that on Pfizer and Moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

is_that_so wrote: »
    They've already said No to that on Pfizer and Moderna.

Ah, right, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

josip wrote: »
    We can't actually, unless NIAC change the lower age limit for J&J in the next month.

NIAC have said people under 50 can have J&J if no other vaccine available.

In any event like they did with AZ, they will just amend this guidance in June to allow anyone 18+ to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

3DataModem wrote: »
    Any idea what type of vaccines are being rolled out to GPs for the category 7s? I just got an appointment, just curious if anyone has any insight as to what flavour I'll be getting.

I'm Cohort 4 and getting Pfizer from GP on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I guess they can't as fully immunity using Pfizer isn't until 1 week after second dose so you might be waiting 13 weeks for full immunity whereas AZ is 2 weeks after 1st dose...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

snotboogie wrote: »
    Updated EU table of vaccines per 100, excluding countries using Russian and Chinese vaccines:

Malta 74 April 28th
    Spain 34 April 28th 8
    Austria 34 April 29th 7
    Estonia 34 April 29th 7
    Italy 32 April 29th 3
    Sweden 31 April 29th 1
    France 31 April 28th 2
    Ireland 30 April 28th 0
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Latvia 16 April 29th -29

This table is misleading. My country, Italy, has distributed a single shot to 22.9% of population (total of single shot), a two doses to 9.6% of population. Yes, the total is that 32%, but it is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Turtwig wrote: »
    One billion vaccines have now been administered worldwide. 16 months since the virus was identified.

That is an astonishing statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Can people check on vaccine appointments if they have registered on the portal? How sooon after resistering do people get notified of a date and location or does that vary completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Malta 74 April 28th
    Spain 34 April 28th 8
    Austria 34 April 29th 7
    Estonia 34 April 29th 7
    Italy 32 April 29th 3
    Sweden 31 April 29th 1
    France 31 April 28th 2
    Ireland 30 April 28th 0
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Latvia 16 April 29th -29

We are a couple of days behind, nothing to worry about but would be nice to see us move up the table. A minor logistical point is that it takes a few hours longer for Pfizer vaccines (made in Belgium) to get to Ireland compared to, say, Belgium. This probably loses us a day compared to Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

frank8211 wrote: »
    Can people check on vaccine appointments if they have registered on the portal? How sooon after resistering do people get notified of a date and location or does that vary completely?

Once you register and get an e mail with the number you can log in as a registered user . Mind you when I logged in after I had an appointment it still said “ awaiting appointment “
    Among my friends the text with a date varied from 2 days to 10 days after registration

This table is misleading. My country, Italy, has distributed a single shot to 22.9% of population (total of single shot), a two doses to 9.6% of population. Yes, the total is that 32%, but it is not the same thing.

It is correct, all countries on the list are vaccine shots per 100 of the population, first and second dose inclusive. Its the standard measure used.

We are a couple of days behind, nothing to worry about but would be nice to see us move up the table. A minor logistical point is that it takes a few hours longer for Pfizer vaccines (made in Belgium) to get to Ireland compared to, say, Belgium. This probably loses us a day compared to Belgium.

Agreed, no big worry at the moment but if we only get to 150k this week, we'll really start to fall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

frank8211 wrote: »

I registered on the 23rd and I got an appointment today for next Friday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SJFly wrote: »
    Surely you have to plan your vaccination campaign based on the existing recommendations. I don't care how the j&j is used - I'd gladly accept a shot myself. What is not acceptable is having half a million doses of a safe, single shot vaccine sitting unused as pubs and restaurants are opening up.

All of the speculation about unused J & Js is coming from the media and on social media. The government and HSE don't seem overly bothered by this scenario : let's see how this pans out, they may have their reasons for believing it will not unfold this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

All of the speculation about unused J & Js is coming from the media and on social media. The government and HSE don't seem overly bothered by this scenario : let's see how this pans out, they may have their reasons for believing it will not unfold this way.

I think people keep forgetting that ireland has ordered full doses for 10.3 million people. We were always going to not use it all. Its really down to deliveries, but Pfizer seems to be picking up anyways.

Plus the US has kind of hit the point where everyone that will get vaccinated has. So they’ve a lot of supplies to be handed out as well (realistically this will go to poorer nations/ harder hit countries). So there is a potential of more Pfizer/Moderna as both are for profit coming to Europe

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think people keep forgetting that ireland has ordered full doses for 10.3 million people. We were always going to not use it all. Its really down to deliveries, but Pfizer seems to be picking up anyways.

Plus the US has kind of hit the point where everyone that will get vaccinated has. So they’ve a lot of supplies to be handed out as well (realistically this will go to poorer nations/ harder hit countries). So there is a potential of more Pfizer/Moderna as both are for profit coming to Europe

The number of doses we have ordered and will be arriving in Q3 and Q4 is not relevant. What is vital is the number of doses we have used before we attempt to open up for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ddarcy wrote: »

Yes, people keep suggesting we are going to be left with many hundreds of thousands of unused J & J doses in late June and a slowed down rollout, as if it is an accepted fact and that the Govt have already publicly admitted it. They have admitted no such thing and seem quite relaxed about how the rollout is going.

The policy of vaccinating each eligible cohort with every vaccine going at the moment seems by far the most sensible one. The end of June is still a good bit away, they can start to think about that the nearer they get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes, people keep suggesting we are going to be left with many hundreds of thousands of unused J & J doses in late June and a slowed down rollout, as if it is an accepted fact and that the Govt have already publicly admitted it. They have admitted no such thing and seem quite relaxed about how the rollout is going.

The policy of vaccinating each eligible cohort with every vaccine going at the moment seems by far the most sensible one. The end of June is still a good bit away, they can start to think about that the nearer they get to it.

That is a terrible idea for planning a vaccine rollout of this scale.

It is speculation, based on our currently projected deliveries. If the only people that can use the vaccine have already been vaccinated when the bulk of the order arrives, then it can't be used. If this is in Q3, who cares. If this is in Q2 it will slow us down.
    To be honest I hope you are right and that the HSE do know something we don't know. Lots of things could improve the situation, but based on current information it's creating challenges for the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a lot of heavy lifting to be done in the "if there are no other vaccines available" clause.

It might be as simple as burning through the other vaccines at the start of the week, and then everyone of whatever age that attends the MVC at the end of the week gets the J&J because that's all that's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

While I see where your coming from here, proper planning is planning in advance, not a cross the bridge when we come to it situation.

We have to plan based on the current advice, if NIAC advise changes and age restrictions drop again then great, however as things stand, there is no getting around that unless J&J is used only as advice currently stands, there will be a large number of 1 shot vaccines not used in this country and the alternative is pushing the vaccine program out a number of weeks, quite possibly well into August & September as for each dose left unused we require 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna for example.

Now, the "unless there's no other vaccine" advice is wide open to interpretation and how that moves forward could play a large role. But this all needs to be planned for now, not in June

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is correct, all countries on the list are vaccine shots per 100 of the population, first and second dose inclusive. Its the standard measure used.

I thought (and could be completely wrong) that Italy was more prioritising first doses which is logistically easier and means less vaccine held back, thus they have a higher % overall but lower fully dosed % (or it was just a misread :)). Ireland's fully dosed is ~11% by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭plodder

seamus wrote: »
    There's a lot of heavy lifting to be done in the "if there are no other vaccines available" clause.

It might be as simple as burning through the other vaccines at the start of the week, and then everyone of whatever age that attends the MVC at the end of the week gets the J&J because that's all that's available.
    But, the NIAC advice isn't a blueprint for the vaccination campaign. It's just saying that particular cohorts should get specific vaccines when available and something different when not available. I really don't see the issue here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement